PDA

View Full Version : Bought the kid a gun

Kindsvater Flat
08-19-2004, 07:22 PM
Just picked up the 12 yr olds new shotgun today. Can't wait to take him hunting in a couple of weeks.
Anyone else into it with there kids?

MudPumper
08-19-2004, 07:26 PM
Good for you, teach him to be a responsible gun handler while he is young. What guage did you get him??

Kindsvater Flat
08-19-2004, 07:34 PM
He's been around guns since an early age and have drilled him with safety from day one. He is very cautious and makes sure every thing is in the safe when friends come over. He wanted a Benelli but I got him a Remington 870 in 20 guage to start. He can have Benelli in a couple of years. We shoot alot of dove, pheasants and ducks. Never have gotten into any type of deer hunting. We do go pig hunting with pistols. Thats fun.

FunOnTheWater
08-19-2004, 07:36 PM
Good to hear, teaching him the right things bout gun safety :D

Kindsvater Flat
08-19-2004, 07:41 PM
Good to hear, teaching him the right things bout gun safety :D
Thats the way it should be. I took the hunters safety course again with him and I will do the same with my 2 step kids and show them the same ways. Step son is the official skeet thrower. He launches them before you can even say pull or load the gun. He tells me its practice since you never know when a bird will fly up. :D

quiet riot
08-19-2004, 07:41 PM
I'm in the middle of the updating the gun collection now. My 12 yr old is going hunting with me this fall so I gotta get a couple more. He's shot my 12 ga but its a little long for him so time for a new shotgun. I'm gonna shorten up the 270 stock for him to use for deer/elk this fall, was gonna get him a 300 win mag for elk but figured that's a little much esp w/the longer barrell and weight/kick. My 6 yr old daughter is at the stage of getting the hand me down single shot 22 and learning all about it. Its great to see them learn/respect and enjoy the proper use of guns. Boys' first quail was a better trophy to him than any african safari. They both get into hunting, cleaning and eating all kindsa game, its great time together.
jd

KACHINA KEN
08-19-2004, 08:08 PM
I got him a Remington 870 in 20 guage to start. He can have Benelli in a couple of years.
Good Man.......

Kindsvater Flat
08-19-2004, 08:12 PM
I do have a single shot 8 guage that he could shoot but I can't find shells for it. :D

RVR Family
08-19-2004, 08:19 PM
My husband has been taking our son (now 14) to Palo Verde dove hunting since my son was about 8. Family tradition... They are going to hunt for a few days and then go take the boat out for some fun the last couple of days...

Kindsvater Flat
08-19-2004, 09:37 PM
We did it as kids as the same with my parents. Something I hope to pass on and he can to with his kids. He wasn't interested a couple of years ago but last year he was but it was to late for a class. He has been going through the Cabella's catalog picking out everything. $$ :cry: $$

HCS
08-19-2004, 09:38 PM
Can he hit Hog Farm?

djunkie
08-19-2004, 09:43 PM
Great to hear there are other hunters on this board besides me. I started a liitle late hunting but now that I have I love it. Got my first deer last year back in Nebraska. Had a blast. Looking forward to dove and quail season coming up also. I'd post a pic of my deer but I don't know if there is anyone here it might offend.

Kindsvater Flat
08-19-2004, 09:45 PM
Post it!!
Hog Farm????

djunkie
08-19-2004, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE=Kindsvater Flat]Post it!!
Alright if you say so.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1768nebraska_nov_2003_013-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1768nebraska_nov_2003_037-med.jpg

djunkie
08-19-2004, 09:52 PM
sorry kind of small but you can get an idea

Kindsvater Flat
08-19-2004, 09:53 PM
good looking jackalope :D Nice Buck!!

HCS
08-19-2004, 09:55 PM
That's a nice Goat!

djunkie
08-19-2004, 09:56 PM
Thanks. Got my tags today for this november.
Have to go back for another.

Blown 472
08-19-2004, 11:10 PM
I cant believe you fockers shot nice little animals. Until you bagged a frog with a 12 gauge you anit done shit. :rollside:

Her454
08-20-2004, 08:31 AM
Hey Mike, thats cool! Take some pics of his first trip! I taught to Brit to shoot when she about 9 or 10. She helps me keep the coyotes out of the yard now......and she's a pretty good shot. :D

MsDrmr
08-20-2004, 08:43 AM
holy moly, the one thing you gotta worry about is the way we are taking nature out of the state and building houses and corporate offices all over the place, pretty soon the only thing you'll be able to hunt in the state of CA is humans :(

repo man
08-20-2004, 08:43 AM
i moved way out in the hills in corona just for the bird hunting. now this west nile thing is messing it up. i really haven't even seen that many dove or quail this year,bummer. but i've never seen so many rabbits,go figure.

Ducatista
08-20-2004, 09:07 AM
Just picked up the 12 yr olds new shotgun today. Can't wait to take him hunting in a couple of weeks.
Anyone else into it with there kids?
You're doing a good thing. Will be in Martinez(Yuma) for opening day with the uncles and young nephews who are learning the right of passage. Then we teach them how to play on the water the rest of the day, way cool! :shift:

Her454
08-20-2004, 09:19 AM
You're doing a good thing. Will be in Martinez(Yuma) for opening day with the uncles and young nephews who are learning the right of passage. Then we teach them how to play on the water the rest of the day, way cool! :shift:
That brings back memories... My dad taught me how to shoot out at Picacho Peak. :)

Dave C
08-20-2004, 09:39 AM
you say that like its a bad thing ;)
pretty soon the only thing you'll be able to hunt in the state of CA is humans :(

Pointerman
08-20-2004, 10:00 AM
My son is only two, so I have a few more years before he will be carrying a shot gun. I might take him with me pheasant hunting once this year just to walk, but we'll see. I did get him one of the little cap gun shotguns that Cabelas carrys. It is in my gun safe and when he is a little bit older that will be the first gun he gets to carry in the field for practice. He won't be allowed to use it as a toy. Can't wait...

Drunk tank
08-20-2004, 10:10 AM
I love hunting! Growin up in CO, if you dont hunt or have a hunters saftey card by the time youre 8... youre just weird.
I've been out for elk a couple times but I'm really picky bout what I'll bag, so I'm always lookin for the perfect bull. Havnt found him yet... one day I will, so to this day I havnt bagged any elk yet. Got a mule deer once, but never really cared for the taste of venison cept as jerky. Another little quirk is if I ever would go big game hunting, I'd make sure I alway knew of a family that would like to take some of the meat off my hands. I'm one guy... no ways in hell I'll be able to finish off a single elk unless I eat elk for every damn meal... that'd get old.
I've been wanting to pick up a good bird gun to try giving bird hunting a shot. What models and gauges would you all suggest? I'm a big guy so size and weight really dont matter... I'm all about quality. Too bad I gotta fly back to CO to buy a gun right now (at least I can buy any gun under the sun there)
BTW, If any of ya lookin for someone to hunt with... holla at me. I'm always down for a good hunt (birds, coyote.... people)
Hopein i can get a desent bird gun by season... else I might have to take this (damn good shot with it though)
http://img41.exs.cx/img41/2048/P3030165.th.jpg (http://img41.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img41&image=P3030165.jpg)

Keith E. Sayre
08-20-2004, 10:24 AM
best memories that I have as a child: salmon fishing with my Grandpa at Trinidad Bay by Eureka California, boating with my parents and uncle and
aunt at Cottonwood Cove and Lake Success, learning to ski etc with them,
hunting deer by Cove Fort Utah, canoeing from Davis Dam to London Bridge,
all of these before I was 13 yrs old. Grateful for them all!
Keith Sayre

gramps
08-20-2004, 10:50 AM
holy moly, the one thing you gotta worry about is the way we are taking nature out of the state and building houses and corporate offices all over the place, pretty soon the only thing you'll be able to hunt in the state of CA is humans :(
that's one of the reasons I moved out of callyfirnniaa.................
p.s. anyone looking for a good deal on a deer rifle PM me

Kindsvater Flat
08-20-2004, 04:53 PM
I love hunting! Growin up in CO, if you dont hunt or have a hunters saftey card by the time youre 8... youre just weird.
I've been out for elk a couple times but I'm really picky bout what I'll bag, so I'm always lookin for the perfect bull. Havnt found him yet... one day I will, so to this day I havnt bagged any elk yet. Got a mule deer once, but never really cared for the taste of venison cept as jerky. Another little quirk is if I ever would go big game hunting, I'd make sure I alway knew of a family that would like to take some of the meat off my hands. I'm one guy... no ways in hell I'll be able to finish off a single elk unless I eat elk for every damn meal... that'd get old.
I've been wanting to pick up a good bird gun to try giving bird hunting a shot. What models and gauges would you all suggest? I'm a big guy so size and weight really dont matter... I'm all about quality. Too bad I gotta fly back to CO to buy a gun right now (at least I can buy any gun under the sun there)
BTW, If any of ya lookin for someone to hunt with... holla at me. I'm always down for a good hunt (birds, coyote.... people)
Hopein i can get a desent bird gun by season... else I might have to take this (damn good shot with it though)
http://img41.exs.cx/img41/2048/P3030165.th.jpg (http://img41.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img41&image=P3030165.jpg)
There are so many good bird guns out there it just depends on what you want to spend. I have 3..... old browning magnum 12 guage, Benelli auto 12 guage, and a Ruger over/under. Ruger was close to $2k

Kindsvater Flat
08-20-2004, 04:55 PM
Wonder what the limit would be? :cool:

Ziggy
08-20-2004, 05:03 PM
No guns in this families household...safety can go out the window at the wrong time even with the best of training...
MrsDrmr---Sadly, :frown: I think the multitude of gangs are already into that stage of hunting. :frown:

77charger
08-20-2004, 05:11 PM
i cant wait to get my son his first rifle.I actually made it to the range yesterday now i have a springfield 1911 loaded model for sale.Finally got tired of the probs with it(has a hard time with my reloads really tight chamber)but my colt(my favorite) fires away 1 after another.If i cant trust my life with it i dont need it :angry2:

Kindsvater Flat
08-20-2004, 05:37 PM
I have a smith 9mm auto that has been sent back 10 or 11 times now. Still don't work so it is a dust collector now. Either jams on feeding or misfires. SigPRO in .40 is my carry gun.

77charger
08-20-2004, 06:36 PM
got my 1911 sold already.Just cleaned it and found part of the prob.A small piece of lead in the front part of chamber/throat area.Cycles fine now but still going.Getting a revolver camping and outdoors.Minimum .357 but any bigger heavy hitter will do.454 cassul,.480 ruger(i do miss my 44 mag i sold.)but now i reload so that gives me a good option for the big cals and makes it cheaper to shoot

sandblasted
08-20-2004, 07:26 PM
I'm slowly getting my kids into gun safety...Recently bought my 13 year old a paintball gun but he can only shoot it when supervised by an adult...
It's been awhile but I still enjoy hunting dove and quail...
I think the best trip I ever did was down in Blyth about 10 year ago....hunted dove in the early morning then went floating down the river and boated for the rest of the weekend...great trip!

seho
08-20-2004, 08:34 PM
Lots of shooters here! I have a Stainless, EFK 'Fire Dragon', ported/ compensated barrel thats a drop-in for a Colt Officer's Model (.45 ACP) that I used on my Kimber Pro Carry for about 300 rds. or so, that I'd pass on to someone that wanted it. It works really well BUT the 1/2" it extends past the slide makes it not fit so well in my holster so I don't leave it on there anymore. I also have a Rem. 700 BDL stock only (long action) if anyone wants it to cut down for a younger shooter and use it til they grow into a full size stock. It's off of my 25/06 and it'll never get put back on this rifle. Really good shape....make me offer on either of these if you can use them...collecting dust right now.

NuckinFutz
08-20-2004, 09:36 PM
My kids both hunt as well as the wife. I've had both my kids to trees with lions and bears in them caught by my hounds. Both kids absolutely love to follow the hounds. Hunting can keep a kid out of all kinds of trouble. Here's a couple of photos of cougars and bears treed the last year.

NuckinFutz
08-20-2004, 09:38 PM
A photo of a bear, by the way both animals were left to live another day.

NuckinFutz
08-20-2004, 09:39 PM
Another bear

Bense468
08-20-2004, 11:56 PM
I have a smith 9mm auto that has been sent back 10 or 11 times now. Still don't work so it is a dust collector now. Either jams on feeding or misfires. SigPRO in .40 is my carry gun.
I run a all stainless sig p226 with work done. Love the gun. Put about 200 to 250 rounds through it every two weeks or so.
Try to shoot trap with my dad every 2 weeks as well. Used to do once a week and backed it down a little. Run a Rem 870 trap gun. Looking for a nice Over Under.
Looking forward to teaching my son his way around a gun. Need to have one first though. :wink:

Sleek-Jet
08-21-2004, 05:26 AM
I run a all stainless sig p226 with work done. Love the gun. Put about 200 to 250 rounds through it every two weeks or so.
Try to shoot trap with my dad every 2 weeks as well. Used to do once a week and backed it down a little. Run a Rem 870 trap gun. Looking for a nice Over Under.
Looking forward to teaching my son his way around a gun. Need to have one first though. :wink:
The new Berreta O/U trap guns rock. I've been looking for a doubles gun for about a year now, and think that I've settled on one of those. I've got a Rem 90T that I shoot singles and handicap with.
Of course I miss enough shooting singles and handicap, why do I want the oppurtinity to miss twice as many birds at once. :D

Kindsvater Flat
08-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Thanks Rio.... but there is no way I would ever pull the trigger on a old damascus wrapped barrel. That fact that its a brass shell with black powder would make me nervous. I would only want a single shell just to be with the gun.

HCS
08-23-2004, 09:08 PM
I have this mini cross bow that I use to shoot the stupid f-in cats that piss
and shit in my yard.
That's the subject.........right? :crossx:

Chase
08-24-2004, 02:42 PM
Good to see the shooters on here...It has been a while since I have been here..Sorry to all that missed me... :notam:
Since the weather has not been condusive to boating lately, I have been doing lots of shooting..Sporting clay shooting. I love that, since it is like golfing with a gun and has lots of variety in the shots presented...
I shoot a Browning Citori Over under, and when I get out hunting I will be carrying the Winchester 1500...an older model of the Super X2..
Sept. 15th is opening day for game bird, so I am looking forward to that day...Oct. 1 Pheasant opens as well as Whitetail and Mule Deer if you carry a muzzle loader...

ratso
08-24-2004, 02:48 PM
I have this mini cross bow that I use to shoot the stupid f-in cats that piss
and shit in my yard.
That's the subject.........right? :crossx:
Should be open season on every cat whose owner doesn't keep it in the house. I just paid for $500 worth of interior work on a customer's boat because of a frigging cat