PDA

View Full Version : Water in Oil, Part 3.........The findings

C.Fisher
08-20-2004, 04:04 AM
Well some of may have been following my other threads on water in the oil, lastnight we started our tear down. I do have some other questions here i hope someone might give me some insight on. Remember we bought this boat used last year and really didnt recieve any info on it besides someone had stuck blowers and headers on this 2001 checkemate.
1, After tearing this down we found it to be a hyd roller cam engine, didnt roller cam motors only come with the fuel injection? And what was there base hp rating. These are carb based now
2, The blower intake is rect. port, the heads are oval port. Shouldnt really hurt should it?
3. We pressure tested the cooling and could not find any noticable leaks, but when i pulled the intake i could see an impression of where it was trying to seal around a water port toward the front of the engine and it barely covering the gasket.........It made me go...........Hmmmmmmmm?
4. After loooking at the oil it looks as if a bull shot one hell of load or a aresol greese can exploded. You can touch the rockers with your fingers and water just runs off of them. Alot of condensation build up. Remember this was fresh oil and only had bout hour on it.
5. after we tear the heads down what head gaskets can someone reccomend.
I have heard of the cometics to be great.
Thanks in advance
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421544940/2.jpg
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421544940/1.jpg
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421544940/0.jpg

powerplay230
08-20-2004, 05:47 AM
#3 Hmmmm???
I had a similiar situation early this summer and this is where water was getting into my motor. What do the same water ports look like on the intake manifold? Are the ports the same size as in the head or smaller, on mine they were smaller and you could see where leak was on the intake better than the head. My problem was solved by not using the Mercruiser gaskets, one made by Mr Gasket fit much better. Just a thought...
Rick

Infomaniac
08-20-2004, 06:32 AM
That intake gasket did not seal off around the water port on the fwd odd side. It would take a ton of silicone there next time if you do not find a gasket that fits better.
Cometic is the best gasket.

C.Fisher
08-20-2004, 08:18 AM
Thanks guys!

copperrat20
08-20-2004, 11:52 AM
I think you should just sell that motor and buy the spare that is sititng in my garage. It ready to go, all you have to do it bolt it in and put the hammer down. It's a 540 gen.6 with a 2.3 whipple. Nothing but dyno time. 950+hp. I'll cut you a good deal. :D

Dave C
08-20-2004, 12:29 PM
#2: WTF? mismatched head and intake ports?. I wouldn't. I am assuming there is some overlap on the head side which may disrupt the flow. I don't think this helps very much.
#3: sounds like your getting close
I like the felpro blues but they are expensive. Plus infomaniac knows way more than I do so listen to him.
2, The blower intake is rect. port, the heads are oval port. Shouldnt really hurt should it?
3. but when i pulled the intake i could see an impression of where it was trying to seal around a water port toward the front of the engine and it barely covering the gasket

Infomaniac
08-20-2004, 04:08 PM
I ran square port intake and oval heads with a blower in my younger broker days. While not the optimum combo, it is not as critical as N/A