PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen SUCKED

Kilrtoy
08-20-2004, 07:44 AM
The first half of their show was a bunch of new SHIT,
the second half got better, but not much.
The average age of the crowd was 50, and that was because they brought their teenage kids to the show.....
Wish I never spent the money....

redneckgirl
08-20-2004, 07:55 AM
Hey Miguel tell us how you really feel!!!! :D :D Have fun at the Damn Run!!!! :frown: :frown: I want to go :cry: :cry:
RNG

Spotondl
08-20-2004, 08:00 AM
The average age of the crowd was 50, and that was because they brought their teenage kids to the show.....
I'll second that... What was up with the sound? It was so bad I couldn't even tell what they were playing. :220v: :220v: Felt like pelting the sound guy with the limes outta my Corona. FIRE the sound guy on that one... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Blown 472
08-20-2004, 08:03 AM
Next year they will be playing the fair circut with the rest of the washed up bands.

PHX ATC
08-20-2004, 08:07 AM
Buddy of mine went to see them in Phoenix. Pretty much said the same thing, that they sucked. He said the sound was waaay to loud and overmodulated and couldn't understand a thing, let alone hear it with any clarity (as much as you could expect at a concert venue). He also said that Alex VH told Sammy to "get the f___ away from me" one time when he walked over close to Alex while he was playing a guitar solo.
Glad I didn't spend the money on VH and bought Hillary Duff tickets for my daughter and wife to go see. :cool:

HighRoller
08-20-2004, 08:20 AM
Well there you go. If Alex is playing guitar I bet they sucked.

IN2MX
08-20-2004, 08:21 AM
Crowd was 50??? Played new stuff? Well, 1985 is gone and no matter what anyone does its not coming back....
Want a younger crowd with great sound.......
One Word.........koRn!!!!!!

beached 1
08-20-2004, 08:28 AM
The average age of the crowd was 50, .
where were you sitting dude?
nothing but plastic boobied sweethearts on our level..
never was into hair bands, but I am really impresssed by Eddies guitar prowess.
If I have any complaint. please don't let Sammy sing the Roth tunes.. just doesn't do it for me..
:cool:

Kilrtoy
08-20-2004, 08:37 AM
OH there was tons of nice tits that were store bought by me also , attached to 1948 women.
the sound was way to loud and distorted. I have seen lots of shows there and they all sounded fine, but not this one. It sounded like CHEWS chevy driving down the street playing music on 10 out of his muffler speakers in the back window.....
Korn, I have had a few on my feet.....

Dr. Eagle
08-20-2004, 08:38 AM
Sorry to hear it sucked. I think bad sound can ruin the best band/s concert. I still like Van Hagar the best of any of the Van Halen incarnations...

Sportin' Wood
08-20-2004, 08:50 AM
I doubt they would even be playing if Eddies old lady had not have left him.
Sucked up his pride and brought Sammy back so he could make a few bucks I bet. Had vegas tickets but could not get away from work, glad I missed it from what I have heard.

KACHINA KEN
08-20-2004, 08:50 AM
I'll second that... What was up with the sound? It was so bad I couldn't even tell what they were playing. :220v: :220v: Felt like pelting the sound guy with the limes outta my Corona. FIRE the sound guy on that one... :mad: :mad: :mad:
The Staples center sound is notoriously bad, it's a tough room even for the best. :notam:

BoatFloating
08-20-2004, 09:30 AM
I can see it in a couple years from now on VH1. Behind the Music Van Halen Rags to Riches to Rags. Call it career guys....

HOOTER SLED-
08-20-2004, 09:41 AM
What did you expect from Van Hagar??? Go see Atomic Punks instead. Especially at the Whisky. Bitchen sound there always. And those dudes sound just like OG Van Halen. They put on a good show. Check it out.

HammerDown
08-20-2004, 09:45 AM
Want a younger crowd with great sound.......
One Word.........koRn!!!!!!
KORN :messedup: ya call that music ? :2purples:

KingCole
08-20-2004, 09:47 AM
Hey Kilrtoy, sorry you didn't like the concert but, on Monday night Van Halen ROCKED! I thought it was great. They were way loud and the mixing wasn't all that good, but come on, you saw one of the best guitarist of all time, one of the best front men in rock, a great drummer and bassiest. The band might not have been that tight, but the haven't played together for eight years. As far as the new stuff, they only have three new songs, they played two when I saw them. It was a total party, we had a killer time. Anyway, sorry you didn't dig it.

Garrddogg
08-20-2004, 09:48 AM
They were good at the "pond"..
and I'm not even a fan :)
Gotto say though he aint got no business singin Davids songs! :cool:

jbtrailerjim
08-20-2004, 09:48 AM
Well I was bummed that I didn't get to go see them but I'm not feeling so bad now. I've seen them a couple of times years ago and they put on a great show those two times. I've also seen Sammy and his Waborita's once and he put on a great show.

SandbarScot
08-20-2004, 10:58 AM
They sounded decent Tuesday night at Coors Amphitheater. Not awesome, just decent. It was like a high school reunion with all the 40-something people there.

Moe_Havi
08-20-2004, 11:23 AM
What is with all these geezers dragging along their kids to these shows? "Yea Tommy and Buffy, these are the guys (plug in your own favorite washed up 70's, 80s, 90s band) that me and your mom used to rock to". It's so nice that we can afford the $80 tickets so you can experience the Stones with us. If the band is good like the Stones, I sure don't want mine or anybody elses pukey (their kids are pukey, mine aren't, of course) 9 year old around. Oh son, when that reefer comes down the aisle, could you please pass it to your mom and I. And like they really dig what we listened to 30 years ago. Leave them home! While I'm at it, you yuppies can also leave the little ankle biters home when you go out to dinner. Nothing like a $150 dinner next to a screaming 2 year old that the parents think is so cute. Gee, how do I really feel. Sorry to rant.
Moe

WILDERTHANU
08-20-2004, 01:10 PM
TALKING SHIT ON ONE OF THE MOST INFLUENTIAL BANDS OF ALL TIME!!!!!!! YOUR ALL A BUCH OF DUMMIES!!!

HCS
08-20-2004, 01:13 PM
I'll have to make sure and pack my depends.
That's no suprise. Did you see a bunch of old ladies trying to look hip in
leather pants with their bellies hanging out?

Spotondl
08-20-2004, 01:26 PM
I'll have to make sure and pack my depends.
That's no suprise. Did you see a bunch of old ladies trying to look hip in
leather pants with their bellies hanging out?
Actually the eye candy factor was off the hook... Yeah there were the retro oldsters but hey, they are just having fun which they are allowed to do...
My biggest GRRRRR is with the sound... I have been to several shows at the Staples Center and NEVER have I heard such a muddy mess... Loud is totally cool, loud mud sucks... :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Debbolas
08-20-2004, 01:32 PM
He also said that Alex VH told Sammy to "get the f___ away from me" one time when he walked over close to Alex while he was playing a guitar solo.
Your buddy probably drank too much because Eddie is the Guitar King!!!!!! :skull:

PHX ATC
08-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Your buddy probably drank too much because Eddie is the Guitar King!!!!!! :skull:
My bad. I recanted the story with the wrong brother in there. I'm so embarrassed, I didn't bother to correct myself hoping nobody else would notice.
Back to my cave. :eek: :wink:

haulina29
08-20-2004, 03:12 PM
Kilrtoy that sucks they rocked Oakland,the house was on its feet for 2 hours and the sound was great . And they played only 2 new songs the rest was all good I could have done with out Sammys solo . As far as old people being there no shit the band started in 77 lmao looked like a seminar for a retirement plan im 45 and I was on the young side . :)

totenhosen
08-20-2004, 03:12 PM
TALKING SHIT ON ONE OF THE MOST INFLUENTIAL BANDS OF ALL TIME!!!!!!! YOUR ALL A BUCH OF DUMMIES!!!
WHY the f not? Just like if the Crue puts on a bad show I would call them on it to. Sooner or later you need to give it up.

IN2-IN2MX
08-20-2004, 03:15 PM
Thank goodness I got out of going tonight! :) :)

Debbolas
08-20-2004, 03:50 PM
My bad. I recanted the story with the wrong brother in there. I'm so embarrassed, I didn't bother to correct myself hoping nobody else would notice.
Back to my cave. :eek: :wink:
Maybe with a lot of other bands, no one would know, but..........EDDIE VAN HALEN!!!!!!!! Man he is so awesome. Writes his own music, plays guitar and keyboard. I just wish he would get his personal life together.
At least you didn't blame it on your buddy :D

rmylek
08-20-2004, 05:17 PM
I'm not to surprised they sounded bad. I saw sammy down in cabo for one of his birthday bashes. the sound was terrible. the more i drank the worst it got

LASERRAY
08-20-2004, 05:30 PM
I saw Van Halen 3 times when they were in their prime. 1982, 1983, and 1984. No one could hold a candle to them back then, and every show was a party thanks to Diamond Dave. That lineup is still my favorite band of all time. I never had an urge to see them with Sammy, but they still rocked.
Sorry that you didn't like the show Kilrtoy, but I bet that if they played the exact same show, with the exact same sound, and this was 1986 instead of 2004, you'd have a different opinion right now as our tastes and preferences tend to refine themselves with age. ;)

throwerb
08-20-2004, 05:44 PM
Sorry to here they sucked. I grew up in Pasadena and have seen these guys rock a back yard party like nobody else, luckily that's how I remember them.

Flying Tiger
08-20-2004, 06:32 PM
It's best to catch Sammy at the Hard Rocks Joint in 'Vegas.
Tickets are $30, and he plays with evey member but eddie.
All the hits and then some,, and your only 20/30 feet from the stage.

JustMVG
08-20-2004, 06:48 PM
I Went to an Offspring Concert and as i am walking to my seat a very nice looking MILF asked me where my kids were sitting , the smartass in me wanted to just grab my nutsack and continue the conversation, but no i politly asked her if she'd like to join me for the concert, the girl i was going to take flaked so i had the extra seat she said sure it beats sitting and waiting for her kids, The Living End Opened and kicked butt, then came the Offspring well i am having fun and enjoying the concert when she spots her two boys like three rows down from us sharing a doob with some dude, cool w me but mom went baaaalistic, well that was the end of the night for me, i just kicked back rocked out and watched mom and her kids get thrown out, it was a weird feeling when she asked where my kids were sitting, i felt like like an OLD FART. Oh the horror of it all :) i had blast with the folks around me and felt great after the show too, so your never too old to rock, or punk or jazz , maybe too old for rap, but you'll never get the little kid outta me , anyone else like that here on the boards, IN2-IN2MX looks like she just has fun and says screw em, i'm havin fun deal with it, ya gotta like that in a person.
MIke still just big kid VG

sandblasted
08-20-2004, 07:01 PM
What's with all this bashing on us old geezers?...At least some of us have actually seen VanHalen with David Lee Roth...or AC/DC with Bon Scott...Hey, I even saw the original Black Sabbath back when Ozzy really was a freak and not some 55 year old who acts like he belongs back in rehab!!
I'm amazed that after 27 years of listening to hard rock some of the bands I grew up with are still rocking...more power to them...
I like alot of new rock bands too...Now excuse me while I go listen to some Godsmack!! :cool:

JustMVG
08-20-2004, 07:45 PM
Sandblasted now thats what i'm talking about, when you know more about the band then your kids, or crank it up and they never thought you'd ever do that, my kids were into Britney and all the boy bands , now they listen to Godsmack Pearljam, and on and on with out griping and actually liking what they're listening to, hey i listen , reluctantly sometimes to the rap and whatever the hot "thing" is, like this jamaican back beat and the rapper being cool and breezy like the islands thats ok it's just the hardcore gansta stuff i am not real fond of. My 11 yr old wanted me to burn her a copy of a bunch of old sabbath and zep, i was amazed still am i used to think they were just going along to get along but they really do like the music.
M Still Rockin Hard VG

Debbolas
08-20-2004, 07:46 PM
I Went to an Offspring Concert and as i am walking to my seat a very nice looking MILF asked me where my kids were sitting , the smartass in me wanted to just grab my nutsack and continue the conversation, but no i politly asked her if she'd like to join me for the concert, the girl i was going to take flaked so i had the extra seat she said sure it beats sitting and waiting for her kids, The Living End Opened and kicked butt, then came the Offspring well i am having fun and enjoying the concert when she spots her two boys like three rows down from us sharing a doob with some dude, cool w me but mom went baaaalistic, well that was the end of the night for me, i just kicked back rocked out and watched mom and her kids get thrown out, it was a weird feeling when she asked where my kids were sitting, i felt like like an OLD FART. Oh the horror of it all :) i had blast with the folks around me and felt great after the show too, so your never too old to rock, or punk or jazz , maybe too old for rap, but you'll never get the little kid outta me , anyone else like that here on the boards, IN2-IN2MX looks like she just has fun and says screw em, i'm havin fun deal with it, ya gotta like that in a person.
MIke still just big kid VG
Good Story! :rollside:

JustMVG
08-20-2004, 07:51 PM
and all true too, took my wife to a Pearljam concert at Glen Helen she slept thru the whole friggin thing, one of those guys that make their way to the front for the encore woke her up noone and i mean noone sat down for the entire concert, everyone looked at her and i i just let 'em think she was drunk. I'm part of the fan club so we get great seats becuase of the seniority list, i still to this day cannot believe she slept thru a whole f ing concert.

Debbolas
08-20-2004, 07:53 PM
and all true too, took my wife to a Pearljam concert at Glen Helen she slept thru the whole friggin thing, one of those guys that make their way to the front for the encore woke her up noone and i mean noone sat down for the entire concert, everyone looked at her and i i just let 'em think she was drunk. I'm part of the fan club so we get great seats becuase of the seniority list, i still to this day cannot believe she slept thru a whole f ing concert.
She must have been beat! ( I just had a nice little nap) :skull:
Matt and I just don't attempt concerts anymore :skull:
:skull: <------------my new smilie face!

Bow Tie Omega
08-20-2004, 07:57 PM
That sucks...Van Hagar is the only way to go, It must be their sound board operator, how can you loose such a sound.......Playing an instrument, no matter what instrument, once mastered becomes second nature and never goes away. Now needing practice is another story, but once you have it, it is there for ever.

JustMVG
08-20-2004, 08:02 PM
Or maybe expectations got the best of them?

Dusty Times
08-21-2004, 08:32 AM
They must have had a different sound guy at Mandalay Bay in Vegas. The sound was perfect and wasn't a very big stadium. The only bad part as far as sound would be Sammy signing autographs and jumping around while singing.
In my opinion the best Van Halen show I have seen and the best concert to party at. Margaritas at the bar.
Glad I got to see the good show.

haulina29
08-21-2004, 08:56 AM
DT i agree it was awsome :smile:

hoolign
08-21-2004, 09:20 AM
I don't really think i'd call them influential with Hager fronting for them, the early Van halen, yes...but not with sammy, he was just carrying on Roths roll, kiltroy to bad it sucked for you!, was the venue suited for halen?
I know in Vancouver when bands used to play at the old coleseum they all sounded great, ( first place I saw Ozzy and Crue in the early eighties) then they built B.C place and the acoustics sucked.
I also don't think these bands should pack it in!..ozzy still puts out great tunes

AzDon
08-21-2004, 09:31 AM
Their new song being played on the radio has such a LOUD sound that I can barely hear a tune. I didn't see any of these shows, but I think I get exactly what you're sayin! Could the VH guys be having hearing-loss problems?

Debbolas
08-21-2004, 09:54 AM
Their Staples show just got an awesome review in the paper. I guess their stage was cool and Michael had a "Jack Daniels" bass? They said Eddie was in fine form and his son came out on stage. Sammy signed everything thrown up on stage. :clover:

uvindex
09-10-2004, 11:15 AM
So Van Halen played in Tampa last night. The review in the paper this morning (see below) made me think of this thread, and some of the comments about a bad mix in LA. The full review was positive, but check this out this part:
"The sound, unfortunately, was dominated by a white- noise buzz and a bottom- heavy mix, which turned Anthony's bass and Alex Van Halen's kick drum into an overbearing, monotonous thud, which often distracted from the tunes and Eddie Van Halen's guitar work." -- Tampa Tribune
I've been to some concerts where I kept saying to myself, "Are the sound guys hearing the same thing I'm hearing? Are their ears just blown out or what?" :D

Her454
09-10-2004, 11:16 AM
THANK GOD, I was so bummed I couldnt get tickets. :D

keithj714
09-10-2004, 11:42 AM
What's with all this bashing on us old geezers?...At least some of us have actually seen VanHalen with David Lee Roth...or AC/DC with Bon Scott...Hey, I even saw the original Black Sabbath back when Ozzy really was a freak and not some 55 year old who acts like he belongs back in rehab!!
I'm amazed that after 27 years of listening to hard rock some of the bands I grew up with are still rocking...more power to them...
I like alot of new rock bands too...Now excuse me while I go listen to some Godsmack!! :cool:
Black Flag

topless
09-10-2004, 12:03 PM
I saw them back in 84 and David Lee Roth downed a 5th of JD on stage. He forgot the words to jump. Everyone boo'd him. Watching him slur and stumble must have been embarrasing for the rest of the band. :jawdrop:

Her454
09-10-2004, 12:17 PM
I saw them in 94 - or 95 maybe with Sammy and they were great. I loved the Old VH with DLR but I heard he was shi**y on stage for that very reason.

Ultra5150
09-10-2004, 12:45 PM
I was at the same show as Kilrtoy, we were about 12 rows from the stage. I guess we caught the sound from the Marshall stacks because the show rocked.

Rod-64
09-10-2004, 01:40 PM
I wasn't too impressed either.........saw them at MandalayBay and they weren't loud enough. ALL the solos blew. Sammy's solo was good only to lleave for another beer. Eddies son coming on was cool though.
They're coming back to Vegas at the Orleans on October fisrt but I will save my money for the first time release of "Live without A Net" on DVD which was awesome. Even my old VHS copy sounds dynamite. The sound mix was right on especially with Alex's electronic drums which have brought the neighbors over to tell me to turn it down.

Rod-64
09-10-2004, 01:50 PM
http://www.van-halen.com/newsite/lwan_dvd.jpg
SEPTEMBER 14th

hondajoey
09-10-2004, 05:44 PM
me and my wife saw them in Phx and it was ok the best part was we got Suite Tickets from one of our sales men and they bought all the beer & food we could drink.
they didn't play many of my favorites but dave wasn't there, I doubt i would have paid money to see them though.

HammerDown
09-10-2004, 06:03 PM
No desire to see VH without Diamond Dave...thats when that band kicked ass.

powerplay230
09-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Just saw them two nights ago in Tampa, not near the best show I have seen and am being kind. I love Sammy, love VH songs with Sammy, love VH with David. But.... they were lame, wish they were louder so I couldn't hear. More than half the songs they played were timed too fast so you couldn't understand sh$t, at one point Eddie started the next song 4 minutes before they are done. Maybe I am just jaded have seen some great shows. H___ Kiss/NUGENT smoked them 2 yrs ago. Don't laugh but one of the best sounding live rock concerts I ever saw was Ronnie J Dio when he went Solo..