PDA

View Full Version : BBC Question....

Wally_Gator
08-20-2004, 12:28 PM
Ok, If you were to build up a HEALTHY BBC engine from a rebuildable core what core would you want?
I ask this as I have connections for cores and am already thinking about a new powerplant to replace my Olds? or put into some other project?
Some of the Ideal things about this core would be good heads for inital configuration as well as the crank and maybe rods?
Your thoughts and opinions Besides running a ford...

Heatseeker
08-20-2004, 12:57 PM
Generally:
Look for a standard bore block. The more meat in the cyl. walls the better.
If you're not going to run more than 600 hp, a 2-bolt/cast crank combo is probably sufficient. Anything higher than that and I'd look for a 4-bolt/steel crank combo.
If you're not planning on spinning the engine over 6000 rpm, the big oval port heads flow pretty good. Bigger rpms would do better with the rectangle port heads.
You should decide your goals(HP and RPM) and buy parts accordingly.

Taylorman
08-20-2004, 12:59 PM
How about a good OLDS? LOL
Im thinking of doing the same as you. Replacing my olds with a Chevy. What im finding out is the Generation IV blocks have the most aftermarket parts available. However the Generation VI blocks have some upgraded features that make them a better block such as the oiling system and one piece rear main seal. I does not appear to hard to get parts for the Gen VI block and it appears that most of the parts are interchangeable. The 502 Gen VI block is what im looking for. Good luck.

UBFJ #454
08-21-2004, 05:48 AM
For Cast Fe ... Dart. For Al ... Donovan.

jstwkd
08-21-2004, 07:38 AM
genVI 502 evrything you need to run....everything....plus more....over 600hp,full roller..12,000.00 I have a much more detaile if interested.....
[img/www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=38765&password=&sort=7&thecat=998/img]
look in image center type in jstwkd under search....motor has two carbs know....has 0 hrs on it....