PDA

View Full Version : Need help: Motor wont turn(Warning lots of pics)

JetRookie
08-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Hey guys I need some help here. Sorry for the lack of info but I'm posting this for my uncle, I wasn't there, if you need more info to diagnose the problem let me know and I might be able to find out by asking him. The motor wont turn anymore, not even by hand.
Basically here is the problem in a nut shell. On the way back to the docks at 10pm at cruising speed(half throttle?) the boat hit a rock and scraped the bottom of the hall all the way to the back and the speed was fast enough to launch the boat and clear the Router but broke off one of the intake scages/trims and also broke off one of the loader/rock guard bars as seen in this pic.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/SuperbSantorings/P1012001.jpg
The motor automatically died. My uncle then got under the boat to check for any cracks in the haul which there are none, then tried to start the boat up a couple times. The motor did start but wouldn't go more than 5mph all the way back to the docks. After putting it up on the trailer they noticed the rock guard bar was broke. The Jet was taken apart to reveal the loader bar was sucked through the impeller and still sitting in the bowl, here are some pics of the damage. My question to you guys is, could the rock guard bar some how caused damage to the motor? The motor would start after we pulled off the jet for a rebuild but not anymore. Could the rock guard bar some how cause a spun bearing or rod bearing to eventually go bad? If anyone has any ideas please let me know asap. Thanks in advance guys I appreciate it. If I find out anymore info I'll be sure to post up.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/SuperbSantorings/P1011997.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/SuperbSantorings/P1011996.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/SuperbSantorings/P1012000.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/SuperbSantorings/P1012002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/SuperbSantorings/P1012003.jpg

moneysucker
08-20-2004, 01:23 PM
stopping a motor like that is not good and can cause many different problems. My brother had a pump lock up on him and it broke the pin holding the distributer gear on. The timing was off and when re timed started but quickly lost time. I would start here and pull the dist. Next do a compression check to see if you may have bent a valve or Broken crank. Just a few suggestions. Good luck.

Red Beard
08-20-2004, 02:39 PM
I am helping out on the boat, doing some of the repairs and I took the pics.
The motor would start fine after I pulled the bowl off and removed the bar from the loader from it and pulled the impeller. I did an oil change then I had checked the charging status, it wasn't, (run time 5 seconds) next I reset the timing (run time maybe 1 to 2 minutes). The boat is backed up to my garage and every time I ran it, it would start filling the garage with water from the exhaust so I only ran it as long as I had to, to complete the task at hand. After I chased down the bad/missing wire for the charging problem next I was going to adjust the valves. I pulled a valve cover off put on the splash guards over the rockers got my ratchet in hand, turned on the hose, hit the starter and all I get is a click. I checked the battery with a Christy, it's good. I hit the starter again with it still connected and the needle swings over to show a massive power draw. I grabbed a breaker bar and socket and tried to turn it over by hand. Nope, doesn't budge forwards or back. I checked the oil I had drained from it a few days before and sure enough, shiny little mettle flakes. The boat is about 16 years old and has sucked a valve in the past so I pulled off the other valve cover and it looks ok. My question is would stopping a 454 with a bar going through the impeller be enough force to damage rod or main bearings?

460rogers
08-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Sounds like a broken crank.
But I ain't a cheby guy.

roostwear
08-20-2004, 03:27 PM
I hope I read it wrong, but didn't you start the engine BEFORE you turned over the engine? You may have hydrolocked the engine. Try pulling all the plugs and spin the engine over. Hopefully the water will come out the sparkplug holes and no rods are bent.

1HOTGMCJET
08-20-2004, 06:20 PM
I hope I read it wrong, but didn't you start the engine BEFORE you turned over the engine? You may have hydrolocked the engine. Try pulling all the plugs and spin the engine over. Hopefully the water will come out the sparkplug holes and no rods are bent.
I think he meant start the WATER before you turned over the engine.................

Cs19
08-20-2004, 08:03 PM
I dont see why a sudden stop on the engine would break anything internally, Im hardly an engine guy though, so I could definatly be wrong.
Sounds like a problem with the engine came into effect when you were tinkering with it.
Your impeller is pretty hammered and so are the bowl veins, you should look into getting that fixed up before you put it back togethor.
Your pics pretty much suck, but it looks like the tip of the shaft may have issues too, maybe not,its hard to tell, but thats important that its in good shape.
Oh and your bowl seal is backwards , good luck.

roostwear
08-20-2004, 08:14 PM
I think he meant start the WATER before you turned over the engine.................
That's what he wrote, but if he turned the water on FIRST, he could have pumped water in thru the exhaust port and hydraulic'd a cylinder. I always fire mine first then turn on the water a couple seconds later.

1979tarva
08-20-2004, 08:33 PM
its possible that you may have broke the timing chain also but i dont really know the history of the motor and if its new or old

1HOTGMCJET
08-20-2004, 09:28 PM
That's what he wrote, but if he turned the water on FIRST, he could have pumped water in thru the exhaust port and hydraulic'd a cylinder. I always fire mine first then turn on the water a couple seconds later.
Actually, it was your statement I was trying to clarify, you wrote "start the engine before turning over the engine", I assumed you meant start the water before you turned the engine over, which it sounds like you did - anyway, sorry about any confusion!!!!

460rogers
08-21-2004, 07:25 AM
I don't think it hydrolocked.Even if it did a pulldown is in order.
shiny little mettle flakes
Never a good sign,I'd look deeper.

roostwear
08-21-2004, 08:27 AM
Actually, it was your statement I was trying to clarify, you wrote "start the engine before turning over the engine", I assumed you meant start the water before you turned the engine over, which it sounds like you did - anyway, sorry about any confusion!!!!
I reread what I posted... geez, I F'd THAT up! You're right, I meant turn on the water before cranking it.
I'd pull the plugs and try to turn it with a breaker bar. If it won't turn smoothly THAT way, time to yank the motor. The only thing I can think of that could happen with the engine stopping that quickly, is shearing the pin on the cam sprocket. That could also explain why it is locked up.
Good luck

slotracer
08-22-2004, 06:14 PM
pull the plugs and crank it over sounds like you got water in the cly's. put mine in the water over night and one of the exhaust flaps got push into the pipe and from boats going by push water over the humps and into the engine. pulled the plugs and cranked it over blew out a bunch of water, put the plugs back in and it fired right up.
pat(slotracer) :D

Bense468
08-22-2004, 06:38 PM
I would tear it down and take a look. You don't want a crank or rods coming apart on you in the middle of the lake. A pump locking up on you like that can def do damage to the motor. Something has to absorb that instant stop. Usually that something is not an easy or cheap fix. If it was me, I would tear it down for a visual first, look at everything very close and try and turn it over. If it checks out to be something small, well at least you have that ease of mind that something else is not F up ready to come apart.