PDA

View Full Version : Weep Holes? Bassett Headers...

455Olds
08-21-2004, 12:57 PM
The old OT headers on my boat, Hardin Headers, had threaded weep holes that allowed a short length of line to redirect the exitting water into the bilge area. The new Bassett headers I installed only a few weeks ago have smaller weep holes without threads. The water just spits out onto the carpet. Has anyone had a similiar problem, or is there a way to connect a line to the non-threaded holes on the Bassetts? The water adds up after a good river run, and cannot readily be bilged from where it falls... the staining on the carpets isn't so welcome either...

dgie
08-21-2004, 01:25 PM
My olds/Bassett setup does the same thing. I am thinking for me I am getting excessive water out of the weep holes due to the Bassett T valve (relief valve) not being installed. I am getting alot of water at idle out of the weep holes and even more when I speed across the lake. ie higher rpms=more pump pressure=more water.

Performance 19
08-21-2004, 02:08 PM
Suggest you call Paul Bassett on the tech line @ (714) 630-7999. Just a thought, but without the t valve you may be running too much water thru the headers. He will tell you what rpm you should be at before you have any water go thru. If you are idling and water is going thru, sounds too high. Call Paul for the best advice, or go to Bassettracing.com ...Jim

455Olds
08-21-2004, 02:17 PM
I do have a T-valve, and only get water at idle. When on the gas, the water is exhausted entirely out the pipes as is the norm. My water comes in at about 1500rpm. The problem is when I idle through no wake zones... about 2000 on the tac... water's coming in, but the pressure and/or heat are not enough to ehaust all of the water, some is ejected through the weep holes... this small amount of water puddles over time, and cannot reach the bilge area.

XClutchboy725
08-21-2004, 03:22 PM
I know it's a little late to tell you this, but I ordered mine from Paul with a treaded bung welded to the bottom of each pipe. Then I installed stainless drain lines. I don't know how to help you with your existing setup other than installing some sort of deflector on the stringer?
Here's a BIG pic of my setup...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/310Headers_007.jpg

BadBahner
08-21-2004, 03:52 PM
I dont remember where I saw them but...
I saw some plates that were aluminum that you mount to the top of the stringer and they catch the falling water and divert it into the bilge. I will look around and see if I can find a picture.
Eric

Floored
08-21-2004, 04:01 PM
same thing I was remembering was some alum wings off the stringers to direct the water into bilge and off the carpet from months back, solved the prob for a couple of bucks

455Olds
08-21-2004, 04:11 PM
Jeff, your picture is exactly the way my Hardin headers looked. I guess I just assumed the Bassetts would have had the threaded exist on them as well... shows what assuming'll get ya.
Otherwise, I think the aluminum deflector sounds allright. Should be able to fabricate something that'd look decent.

Cole Sanger
08-21-2004, 04:49 PM
I have been thinking of something out of left field a little bit. How about a small electric vacuum pump hooked up to the threaded weep holes? Then you could hook up an inline adjustable check valve that you could set to the RPM of your liking. What would happen is you set your check valve to say 1500 RPM. Your vacuum pump pumps all the water out of the weep holes that it can until you reach 1500 RPM and then the check valve closes and the water in the headers is sent out of the exhaust. I work with stuff like this everyday, just not on a boat.

76biesmeyer
08-22-2004, 05:41 AM
I had the same problem!!! Take your headers off and have a treated bung welded at each weep hole then order the stainless drain lines from paul bassett for $70.00 It looks real clean when its done

MarKist
08-22-2004, 06:04 AM
When I got my headers I took them and had bungs welded over the weep holes and bent the weep hole tubes the same way Jeff did as a matter of fact I got the idea from him I had just put new carpet in and was on the forums reading and everybody was talking how clean Jeff's boat is, so I ask him to post a pic of his weep hole lines. and he did the next day :D you would not beleive the people that ask me how I keep the bildge area so clean ,and I show them the lines and they just :jawdrop: :jawdrop: by the way I never got to thank you Jeff for the HOT tip thanks dude! :D :D
MarKisthttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1164IM000354-med.JPG

455Olds
08-22-2004, 07:15 AM
Anyone know a good shop in MI to have the bungs welded on?

XClutchboy725
08-22-2004, 08:17 AM
MarKist, you're welcome, and thanks for the compliments!
You're boat looks real nice!!!

wiskvp
08-22-2004, 12:28 PM
Try a BANDERLOG VALVE :rollside: