PDA

View Full Version : Stereo settings

phebus
08-21-2004, 02:01 PM
I know stereo settings are personal, but I am looking for starting points for an Alpine head unit. The speakers are two sets of 6X9's driven by an 800 watt amp, and a 12" woofer driven by a 1500 watt amp, and a set of 6.5's powered by the head unit 60W X 4
What I need to know is where to start with the:
Bass Control
Bass Frequency can be set at: 60Hz-70Hz-80Hz-90Hz-100Hz-130Hz-150Hz-180Hz
Band Width can be set at: Width 1-Width 2-Width 3-Width 4
Treble Control
Treble Frequency can be set at: 10.0kHz-12.5kHz-15.0kHz-17.5kHz
High and Low Pass Filters
High Pass Filter can be set at: FLAT(off)-80Hz-120Hz-160Hz
Low Pass Filter can be set at: FLAT(off)-80Hz-120Hz-160Hz
Any help would be appreciated, as I am clueless as where to start. (It's all Greek to me)
Thanks,
Rick

riverbound
08-21-2004, 02:44 PM
Bass Control
I would start at 60hz and see how it sounds
Treble Control
I usually set it at 12.5
Hp set at 80
Lp set at 80
These should give you a good base to start at then you can tune from there for personal preference. make sure if you use the xovers in the deck you are not also using the ones on the amps. I would use the ones on the amp instead of the radio one. Good luck and if you have any more questions let me know.

phebus
08-21-2004, 02:50 PM
make sure if you use the xovers in the deck you are not also using the ones on the amps. I would use the ones on the amp instead of the radio one.
What crossover's on the head unit are you talking about? Would that be the frequency settings or filters? And if I use the ones in the amp, what do I set the head unit to to defeat them?
Thanks

riverbound
08-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Its an alpine head unit right? If so when you get into the menu that shows HP you can change the frequencies until it says either through or off. Same for the LP menu. It will be the filters. The frequency setting are where the adjustment takes place. for example if you set the highs at 12.5 when you turn the treble up, the affect will occur mostly at that freq. the width is how wide the slope will be (1 is very narrow and will affect fewer frequencies).

ROZ
08-21-2004, 03:15 PM
I agree with Bill. Turn off the headunit's eq off and go from there...

phebus
08-21-2004, 03:23 PM
Yes, on the head unit (radio) for the LP, and HP filters, there is a flat setting which is the same as off.
On the 4 channel 800W amp, it says the variable crossovers for front and rear are variable from 50Hz-210Hz and can be set to HP (high pass), LP (low-pass), or Full.
So, should I set them at 80 like you suggested I do the head unit? And should I set it to High Pass, Low Pass, or Full?
On the Mono 1500W amp it says the crossover Frequency can be adjusted between 40-250Hz. The crossover is set to LP operation only.
Now, how should I set the amps up, if I set the radio's Lp and HP filters off?
Thanks again for all your help

riverbound
08-21-2004, 04:18 PM
same as you would the head unit start at 80 on both amps and go from there. depending on how and what you listen to you might have to bring your mids and highs to 120 (highest I would go) and drop your subs down to 60 (lowest I would go) tuning is mainly done by ear so grab a bunch of cds and play it like you will at the river, dont forget the bears, Good luck ;)

phebus
08-21-2004, 04:22 PM
Thanks, and should I set it to High Pass, Low Pass, or Full?

riverbound
08-21-2004, 09:47 PM
Thanks, and should I set it to High Pass, Low Pass, or Full?
For mids and highs you want to set your amp to high pass, which means it will only let the selected frquency and up to your speakers. Low pass will let the selected frequency and down to your speakers. and Full will let all frequencies through regardless of where the dial is set.

ROZ
08-21-2004, 10:46 PM
and don't forget the bears! :D
"tuning is mainly done by ear so grab a bunch of cds and play it like you will at the river, dont forget the bears, Good luck"
I suggest using the cd's you're most familiar with. To go a step further, make tune the music to the stereo as if were played through a very good set of headphones... They're known to be accurate... Then again, it's a boat...

phebus
08-22-2004, 05:57 AM
For mids and highs you want to set your amp to high pass, which means it will only let the selected frquency and up to your speakers. Low pass will let the selected frequency and down to your speakers. and Full will let all frequencies through regardless of where the dial is set.
So, I am still confused. If I set it to full, the Hp/Lp knobs I adjusted are defeated? If so, for the 800 watt 4 ch. amp driving the 6X9's, where do I want to set the switch (LP,HP,Full) at? That is with the knobs set at 80.

riverbound
08-22-2004, 06:37 AM
and don't forget the bears! :D
I meant beers (obviously I didnt forget them :hammerhea

phebus
08-22-2004, 11:00 AM
Bill, the original install was done at an Al & Ed's Autosound on Miramar in San Diego. The person that wrote the order (unsure if he did the install) was Wesley Hodge. Not a very clean install at all. I sure wish you had done it!!!

ROZ
08-22-2004, 11:13 AM
So, I am still confused. If I set it to full, the Hp/Lp knobs I adjusted are defeated? If so, for the 800 watt 4 ch. amp driving the 6X9's, where do I want to set the switch (LP,HP,Full) at? That is with the knobs set at 80.
Since you have a 2 amp subwoofer system with the subs covering the 80hz and lower frequencies(LP), set the 4 channel amp hp(highpass) at 80hz up to start and dial it in(or up in frequency) from there if necessary if the speakrs can't handle it at your selected volume. The xrossover selection you choose is a cut off point in which the selected will cover. For example:
selecting 80hz LP for a subwoofer application means that you've cut the subwoofer from playing above 80hz. It will only play under the range selected, 80HZ and lower..80hz low pass...
Selecting 80HP (high pass) is just the opposite. Selecting this mode will cover 80hz and higher (hp) and play nothing below the 80hz mark, as 80hz is your cut off.
To answer your question, yes, since full range plays full range, chooseing this selection defeats tuning any frequency potts because it's set to play every frequency, FULL range.
I hope this helps clarify :confused:

phebus
08-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Thank you all for the help. To summarize, the settings in bold are the settings I am going with, and tuning from here. Please correct anything you think is wrong.
Bass Control
I would start at 60hz and see how it sounds
BW at 3
Treble Control
I usually set it at 12.5
Hp set at FLAT(off)
Lp set at FLAT(off)
Use crossovers in amps- Set to 80 on both amps. Might have to drop to 60 on subs (no lower), and go up to 120 on mid/highs (no higher). Set switch on 800 watt amp to HP. Set subsonic filter on sub amp to off. Adjust gains.

ROZ
08-22-2004, 11:49 AM
Yes, but make sure your xcrossovers on the amps aren't too far apart or you'll be missing music. Yo can go a little higher on the subs if you feel it's what you need..... Make sure you turn the sub sonic filter ON. :) Once you have the amps set you can play with it all you want at the head unit...

riverbound
08-22-2004, 01:38 PM
That should work for you.
I'm sorry about the poor install that was done, unfortunately not all AL&Eds turn out the same work. If you need anything else let me know.

phebus
08-22-2004, 01:59 PM
That should work for you.
I'm sorry about the poor install that was done, unfortunately not all AL&Eds turn out the same work. If you need anything else let me know.
It's obvious not all Al & Ed's turn out the same work. The boats I have seen come out of your shop are all top notch. You do nice work.
Thanks for everything.

phebus
08-22-2004, 02:02 PM
Now, for the time correction. :D Should all positions be set to 0.0, since there is no "set" position while listening to the stereo?

ROZ
08-22-2004, 02:39 PM
Yes, don't worry about the time correction in a boat.....

phebus
08-22-2004, 04:03 PM
Mentioned this in another thread, but didn't get much response.
I have a pair of 6X9's in the back of the boat, a pair of 6X9's in the middle, and a pair of 6.5's in the front. The two pair of 6X9's are driven by the amp (Rockford Fosgate Punch 800), but the pair of 6.5's are powered by the stereo head unit. The way it is, I have to leave the internal amp in the head unit on.
Now, with the head unit set flat, what will that do to my front speakers as far as sound goes?
I plan on adding another amp, and another pair of 6.5's during the off season, but is it O.K. the way it is wired or is there a better way to do it?

BoatFloating
08-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Rick, Rick, Rick...... I told you I would tune your system for ya.... Roz and Riverbound have it right. Don't use your head unit we will use your amps. When you at the lake next???

phebus
08-22-2004, 05:09 PM
Rocky, after hearing your stereo, I realized how bad mine sounds. Your's sounded great. I think my main problem is the head unit filters were on, and the amps were adjusted also. The settings I have been given to start with now, are way different than what I had. I can't wait to dial it in, and see how it sounds. We won't be out at Havasu again until Sept. 16th-19th. I would love for you to help me set the thing up (need your help setting the gains), but I was running the settings by everyone so if you aren't there, I can get it sounding better.
Rick

ROZ
08-22-2004, 06:07 PM
The speakers yo have run off the deck will play at whateveryourdeck settings are set at. Fortunately you've set tweeked the amps with the headunit flat. That'll help a bunch :)
Rocky, when are we going to see a full picture thread regarding your stereo setup and components :confused: :)

ROZ
08-22-2004, 06:09 PM
Which w7 do you have , phebus? 13? In what size box?

phebus
08-22-2004, 06:22 PM
I belive it is the 13'. It is in a custom box that was built to go up in a mid compartment. I don't know the exact dimensions of the box. I am going to measure it to figure out the cubic feet of space. It is a sealed unit. Where it is located, the compartment it is in is fairly large, but has no ports or outlets. I question if it is a good application for it. I bought the boat used, and the system was already installed, but I plan on having someone that knows there stuff look at it this off season. I hopefully can use most of the components I have now, but tailor it to perform better.
My thoughts are to possibly get rid of the W7, and go with two subs mounted in the rear of the boat where I have two 6X9's now, and move the 6X9's forward and powering them with a new amp that will also power the existing 6.5's that are just running off the head unit.

BoatFloating
08-23-2004, 09:39 AM
The speakers yo have run off the deck will play at whateveryourdeck settings are set at. Fortunately you've set tweeked the amps with the headunit flat. That'll help a bunch :)
Rocky, when are we going to see a full picture thread regarding your stereo setup and components :confused: :)
Roz, I'll be out there this weekend and will get a bunch of pictures and get the thread up. It came out better than I thought and the inverter and generator setup is the only way to go.

BoatFloating
08-23-2004, 09:43 AM
I belive it is the 13'. It is in a custom box that was built to go up in a mid compartment. I don't know the exact dimensions of the box. I am going to measure it to figure out the cubic feet of space. It is a sealed unit. Where it is located, the compartment it is in is fairly large, but has no ports or outlets. I question if it is a good application for it. I bought the boat used, and the system was already installed, but I plan on having someone that knows there stuff look at it this off season. I hopefully can use most of the components I have now, but tailor it to perform better.
My thoughts are to possibly get rid of the W7, and go with two subs mounted in the rear of the boat where I have two 6X9's now, and move the 6X9's forward and powering them with a new amp that will also power the existing 6.5's that are just running off the head unit.
If you want to get rid of the W7 I'll take it :rollside: DON'T GET RID OF IT PERIOD! It just needs to be tuned right....

ROZ
08-23-2004, 10:06 AM
If you want to get rid of the W7 I'll take it :rollside: DON'T GET RID OF IT PERIOD! It just needs to be tuned right....
Rocky, am I hearing this right? He has a subwoofer that's in a sealed enclosure that is in a closed compartment? :hammerhea
Hopefully they used the right volume and 1.5" wood with plenty of bracing....

phebus
08-23-2004, 02:13 PM
When I say a closed compartment, it is under one of the bench seats. On my boat the compartment is approx 6+ feet long. It is enclosed though, with no ports or openings.

BoatFloating
08-23-2004, 03:49 PM
Rocky, am I hearing this right? He has a subwoofer that's in a sealed enclosure that is in a closed compartment? :hammerhea
Hopefully they used the right volume and 1.5" wood with plenty of bracing....
The box seems like the right Cubic Feet to me. They built a sub box and then they put it in the front seat storage area. So it's like building a sub box and sticking it in a trunk. I just think the problem with his system is the tuning because it seems like he's got enough power. The sub is driven by a RF 1500 mono amp.

ROZ
08-23-2004, 04:34 PM
The box seems like the right Cubic Feet to me. They built a sub box and then they put it in the front seat storage area. So it's like building a sub box and sticking it in a trunk. I just think the problem with his system is the tuning because it seems like he's got enough power. The sub is driven by a RF 1500 mono amp.
Does the sound change when the compartment is cracked opene?

BoatFloating
08-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Does the sound change when the compartment is cracked opene?
I haven't been it enough and heard it to know but I imagine itdoes. The problem with that boat and I would know since I had one there isn't enough room to make sub enclosers for anything bigger then a 10" sub under back seats. I would take the W7 and give it to me since it's no good and go with a couple of L5 10" in the back seat.... :devil: Just joking, the W7 should of been ported out the side of the front seat bases. The W7 is firing straight up into the base of the front seat.
BTW, your pool is looking good. When can I come pee in it???? :notam:

Havasu Hangin'
08-23-2004, 08:21 PM
...the inverter and generator setup is the only way to go.
"Team 6 volts" has a defector!

ROZ
08-23-2004, 11:11 PM
"Team 6 volts" has a defector! I was waiting for your response...

BoatFloating
08-24-2004, 10:18 AM
"Team 6 volts" has a defector!
Don't count your chickens yet HH. The inverter runs to 2 6v batteries :220v:

phebus
08-24-2004, 11:49 AM
The W7 is firing straight up into the base of the front seat.
The ladies love sitting there!! :rollside: I keep hearing, More power, more power :D

BoatFloating
08-24-2004, 01:05 PM
The ladies love sitting there!! :rollside: I keep hearing, More power, more power :D
I knew it had it's benefits.... :mix:

phebus
09-16-2004, 02:26 PM
Thanks to all that responded to this thread. The amps are adjusted as suggested, and the stereo sounds awesome!!! What a difference!!!
One last question for Roz or Riverbound. On the Rockford Fosgate Punch 800 amp, there is an adjustment for "Punch Bass". Should I adjust this knob for added bass, or leave it flat? It is driving a pair of 6X9"s, and a pair of 6.5"s, and is set on high pass at 80Hz.
The sub is running off a Power 1500 amp., set at 80Hz.
Thanks again,
Rick

ROZ
09-16-2004, 03:24 PM
Since I don't work with fosgate, RB would know best; However, I'll take a stab at it..
The bass know is designed to help you dial in (to personal taste) the subwoofer in sealed or vented boxes and won't make a difference with the 80hz and up you're running on the 4channel amp... :)

riverbound
09-16-2004, 04:39 PM
The punch bass is a bass boost that is mainly used for subwoofers. I would leave it turned down. Glad to hear you got it sounding right.