PDA

View Full Version : Cavitation Plate Pedal Need Help I Dont Get It????

sifocalpoint
08-21-2004, 07:19 PM
My schiada flatbottom has an adjustable plate but only has a old hallcraft handle for adjustments, i purchased a handle with a downpedal setup from jetboat performance and i just dont understand it??
I have yet to install it but.. when i set the handle in place (lets say all the way forward for example) and i push the pedal, how does it override the handle? Doesnt the handle itself need to move too?
The rod comes from the rear of the boat to the control handle then does another piece of rod go from the handle to the pedal?
I seen various kinds but mine consists of 2 bearings with a rod between then that mount between the stringers or the stringer and a block of wood on which the control pedal mounts, i got a fabricated purple pedal to take the old style ones place.
Is this style ok or does the kind like rex or eddies marine sell better which is just a box with the handle and pedel all in one?
PLEASE HELP I JUST DONT GET THIS

sifocalpoint
08-21-2004, 07:22 PM
This boat has got me so over my head, im finishing up college work at a grocery store and im trying to build a rich mans boat on a poor mans budget, the boat was fine when i got it, but i had to sestore it and go all new all billet, I just blew 1200 on a new caviation plate setup in the rear of the boat when the old one was just fine but i didnt like it cause it was hexagon shaped!! But i figure im gonna take my time build it once and build it right so i dont have to go back and change things.

sifocalpoint
08-21-2004, 07:40 PM
Where do i get the new things that the control rod goes through that supports it, they almost look like the billet plate pads i ordered with a bigger hole, (the things that hook to the outside of the stringers Im sure you know what i mean)

GofastRacer
08-21-2004, 07:52 PM
Here's my setup, plain and simple!..Hope this helps!.. :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/12Cav_Rod.jpg

sifocalpoint
08-21-2004, 08:01 PM
But when a pedal is pressed how does it override the handle setting?? Wouldnt the handle lock the rod from moving so when you push the pedal the handle would have to move also, this is what i dont get?? Also i have a spring, whats the spring do??
Im going all purple also, where did you get the gearbox mounts that hook the mounting plate to the strings, your setup looks really nice

GofastRacer
08-21-2004, 08:11 PM
Look at the pic it's self explanatory, the handle stops it from going up not down. The springs are to help hold the plate up at speed, when you get up around 90, it will start to suck the plate down, that's the reason for the right pedal to hold it at it's proper riding attitude, providing water conditions are right of course!..

sifocalpoint
08-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Should i get a setup with an up and a downpedal, im not racing but plan to hit between 100-110 with my 850 hp stroked blown 496, or will the downpedal be enough.

GofastRacer
08-21-2004, 08:42 PM
If you're not racing it just use a down pedal and a stiff spring!..

sifocalpoint
08-21-2004, 08:51 PM
Thanks for your help, does it matter where on the stringers i mount the spring, and also, how does the spring operate, by this i mean how does it hold the plate up at high speeds? Can you send me a brief desription, Also where can i get v-drive mounts.

DansBlown73Nordic
08-22-2004, 02:00 AM
That is an excellent picture. I just need to buy a pedal.

sifocalpoint
08-22-2004, 04:05 AM
Dan, i have a complete spring pedal setup, the pedal looks like a throttle pedel like a big foot. I have $440.00 in it but if you want it ill sell it for $390.00 complete shipped to your door, its brand new and a nice setup, but my dads friend is giving me his setup so i dont need it anymore. I also have a fabricated purple left hand pedal to take the place of the one it came with (badass looking) ill throw in if you want it, its also new in box and is anodized purple i got it from rex.
This is with the handle also!

GofastRacer
08-22-2004, 05:24 AM
Thanks for your help, does it matter where on the stringers i mount the spring, and also, how does the spring operate, by this i mean how does it hold the plate up at high speeds? Can you send me a brief desription, Also where can i get v-drive mounts.
Here's my springs, there are different ways of doing it just have to be creative!..When you push the down pedal the springs stretches and pulls the rod back...V-drive mounts, just make em!.. :)
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/21Rear_Hardware.jpg

sifocalpoint
08-22-2004, 12:39 PM
Looking at the picture i see the control rod going through the first purple piece (oval shaped) with the springs attached to it..... How is the purple piece attached to the rod? When the pedal moves the purple piece must also move so it pulls the springs, do you understand what im saying? it looks as if the rod would just slide through the hole but obviously it must be attached. After i figure this out i think i understand completely how it all goes together.

GofastRacer
08-22-2004, 12:52 PM
Looking at the picture i see the control rod going through the first purple piece (oval shaped) with the springs attached to it..... How is the purple piece attached to the rod? When the pedal moves the purple piece must also move so it pulls the springs, do you understand what im saying? it looks as if the rod would just slide through the hole but obviously it must be attached. After i figure this out i think i understand completely how it all goes together.
Sorry my bad, :hammerhea I forgot to mention there's a safety collar behind that one piece!.. ;)

Jet City
08-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Here's my springs, there are different ways of doing it just have to be creative!..When you push the down pedal the springs stretches and pulls the rod back...V-drive mounts, just make em!.. :)
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/21Rear_Hardware.jpg
Thanks for the pic GoFast, I like your set-up way better than mine, think I'll make some changes. Mine has the spring contacting the rod, so it's noisey when you push the pedal.