PDA

View Full Version : V-drive REDOING THE FLOOR NEED HELP

sifocalpoint
08-21-2004, 09:39 PM
My schiada flatbottom floor is in good shape but not perfect, how do i get a nice smooth coat of clear on it, what do most people use. Also i seen black strips down the center of the floor on many boats, is this painted or gelled then cleared over???
Any help will be appreciated

kipperps28
08-21-2004, 10:04 PM
I sanded mine with 80 grit then 150. Block sanded with 220. Then flow coated with West System Epoxy thinned with MEK (polyester is cheaper and easier to spread). Nice, long strokes lengthwise, and not too thick. Came out perfect.

sifocalpoint
08-22-2004, 03:50 AM
what is flowcoating

Sleek-Jet
08-22-2004, 05:21 AM
I sanded mine with 80 grit then 150. Block sanded with 220. Then flow coated with West System Epoxy thinned with MEK (polyester is cheaper and easier to spread). Nice, long strokes lengthwise, and not too thick. Came out perfect.
How did that West System work for you. I need to redo the deck on my boat this winter and have been looking at their products to use. Just need a little feedback.

Spotondl
08-22-2004, 07:11 AM
How did that West System work for you. I need to redo the deck on my boat this winter and have been looking at their products to use. Just need a little feedback.
West System ROCKS!!! It is thicker than polyester but once you get used to that difference the stuff is great. I would suggest the epoxy system over polyester any day...

Sleek-Jet
08-22-2004, 07:36 AM
Cool, that's what I wanted to know. :cool:

sifocalpoint
08-22-2004, 12:41 PM
Does this stuff just brush on or is it sprayed?? Does it need sanded and buffed to a shine like a think paint. Im new to this stuff?

126driver
08-22-2004, 05:17 PM
My schiada flatbottom floor is in good shape but not perfect, how do i get a nice smooth coat of clear on it, what do most people use. Also i seen black strips down the center of the floor on many boats, is this painted or gelled then cleared over???
Any help will be appreciated
Take a dumptruck load full of greenbacks and dump it in Billy B's driveway. Ask him to make you his special tacos....

david_396
08-22-2004, 09:06 PM
what is flowcoating
ttt
just wondering how the flowcoat is spred evenly thorghout the hull.

kipperps28
08-22-2004, 09:32 PM
Flowcoat is just a term used for a gloss coat of resin (like what you are trying to do). If the resin is thinned properly and not spread too heavily, it will lay down, fill voids, and will not collect too badly in your V at the center (if you have any V). West System has worked well for me and is super tough. If your floor is prepped well and is clean, the epoxy will adhere to the old glass better than polyester resin will (will not peel off or delaminate as easily). Plus, the finished product after it kicks (cures) is super glossy and is hard as a rock- it also does not discolor as quickly as polyester in my experience.

david_396
08-23-2004, 04:28 PM
West Sytem Expoxy http://www.westsystem.com/webpages/home/introduction.htm