PDA

View Full Version : Commander Boats Experience

FIREMAN
03-19-2003, 04:07 PM
I met Sy, the President of Commander Boats on Monday, March 17, 2003 at his factory to talk about ordering a new 2800 Cat. He gave me a detailed feedback on the reports in the recent Hot Boat Test Forums. He also brought up the responses in the cats and tunnels forum. He strongly believes that Commander Boats has the best customer service of all the custom boat manufacturerÂ’s in the industry. Nonetheless, no one is perfect. (1) The report from David, Havasu Luvr, .His response, David ordered his 2600 LX with a Volvo unit after talking to the Volvo rep at Commander BoatÂ’s facility and considering its exceptionally good deal. After he ran the boat for sometime, David told Sy that the Volvo 415 DPX performance was not up to the mark. Sy says he told him that Commander Boats would replace it by the equivalent Mercruiser 502 package at no cost to him, if David wanted. He declined the offer. It is unheard of that a manufacturer would replace a brand new engine for FREE in this manner. At least IÂ’ve never heard of it. It is also reported that the drive unit broke away at about 60 mph with a full load in the boat. However, Commander BoatsÂ’ customer service records show that the drive broke while David was backing the boat out of the slip at the lake. Such failures normally occur at high speed and high rpm with the drive tilted. This failure caused the U-joint to disintegrate. Subsequent, to this failure David removed the shift cam cover and then sealed it back with silicon instead of the factory O-ring which is trimmed to the 3000Â’s increments. This affects the shimming. Commander Boats is not aware why this was done, since no leakage was found. Volvo declined DavidÂ’s claim because of the silicon seal and since the cause of the failure and the disintegration of the U-joint was binding at high speed. Commander BoatÂ’s Bill, apologized to him for leaving the water hose induction off, assuming that he might have done it. However, David told him on a following trip to the factory that he had taken the hose off, to flush the engine, another time. It is not a good practice to do this and it requires the drive to be up while flushing the engine. Normal practice is to flush with a flush kit with a garden hose. Commander BoatÂ’s customers compliment Commander Personnel since they are well taken care of. DavidÂ’s stance against Commander Boats is quite surprising especially with the above background and by his own admission that Sy called him twice in one day to address his problems. Sy did this for DavidÂ’s peace of mind. Not many company CEOÂ’s go that far.
(2) “Bigg” did have an unsatisfactory wiring job, which was done by a rigger who is no longer with Commander Boats. But, this is an exception and not a rule for Commander Boats. (3) Other reports can best be addressed by stating that there are situations sometimes when Commander Boats may run into problems. However, most importantly, Commander stands behind its product and corrects the problems to customer’s satisfaction, in the most reasonable fashion. Also, Sy is always accessible to his customers, should there be any concerns, at least he has been in my personal experiences.

FIREMAN
03-19-2003, 04:08 PM
Darn it it didn't look that long when I previewed it... eek! eek! eek!

bigq
03-19-2003, 04:25 PM
Like I told his son at the sales shop,"Sy is the only reason I have had thoughts of purchasing another Commander". Sounds like he is getting the rigging in line. Any problems I've had in the past with the product from Commander has always been fixed and I'm starting to see not all manufactures are as forgiving, which counts for a lot.

Havasu Luvr
03-19-2003, 04:43 PM
BRAVO for you and Sai
Yes Sai offered to replace the Volvo pkg with a Merc pkg in the beginning. This is a fact that Sai made you aware of, Great, but did he also INFORM that my boat was weighed in @ a wooping 4,900 lbs??? I think not... specs on this boat is 3,900 lbs. So, I ask you??? do you think that a Merc pkg would have made a difference....??? The boat weighs 1,000 lbs to heavier. Did Sai also tell you that his Sales people also told me @ purchase time that with the 502 in this boat SHOULD see 70 mph+.... so I upgraded to the 502 and ONLY SAW 58 mph??? Obviously Sai did not tell you this either ! ! And it seems that the rest of your statements is correct but the Facts are NOT in order. Did Sai also tell you that his Crew ie. Bill & Mark left the hose off when they started the system to check their repair????? I didn't think so.... Did he tell you that I had to bring the boat back to him 2 additional times after I paid an $8,000 invoice to him??? I didnt think so. Did he also tell you that once he heard about my bell/starter left loose (ask Nashvillebound & Chaddyshack) that he called saying that Commander did NOT touch my bellhousing so there is no reason for it to be loose?? I didn't think so..etc....etc...etc... I have had so many problems to list. Also. Please tell me where I can purchase the PROPER FLUSH KIT for the Dou Prop Volvo system....Does NOT exist ! ! Please ask Sai about Mr Haley's 2600LX. Offering $1000 of dollars worth of options is NOT the way to make incompentance right. My boat was never taken to Commander for the drive leakage. I have turn wrenches for 18yrs... I sealed the leak with a NEW O-Ring and sealant which only took me 15 minutes for this repair. Sai's crew would have taken 3-8 weeks for the same job. to save face and not turn this into another RiverDave & Froggystyle thread I will stop while I am ahead. Sai builds a great boat for the money....sometimes it is worth a few extra bucks not to have a headache. His Customer Service??? I am sure he expressed to you that he has the best in the industry, comparing himself to Eliminator, Shockwave etc....who does NOT have a full Service department. Good luck with your future business dealing with any boat manufacture and see ya & Sai at the regatta.
Ask Sai about his business practice on Out of State Reg/deliveries... I am sure the State of California and State of Oregon would be VERY interested in this. Point being??? Business Code of ethics...
Good luck... :D
[ March 19, 2003, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Luvr ]

bigq
03-19-2003, 04:57 PM
"see ya & Sai at the regatta"
Is this a threat HL! :D A joke, just a joke.
You defiantly had problems as I'm sure others have had problems with other manufacturers, not trying to belittle what happen to you. I would probably agree on the service issues,just take it to someone else for the non warranty work.
BTW I went to the Volvo site and got the correct part number for the flush kit and ordered it from a place in Montclair. Not easy fining parts for a VP DPX.
[ March 19, 2003, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: bigq ]

Havasu Luvr
03-19-2003, 05:04 PM
bigq
Member # 5 posted 19 March, 2003 04:57 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"see ya & Sai at the regatta"
Is this a threat HL! A joke, just a joke. bigg, no threat :D ...dont get me wrong...I was a Commander Family member for 4 yrs... Sai will bend over to make things right. It's his cronies in the backyard. Like I have said before, Commander builds a Great boat for the monies. Just DONT have the "SERVICE DEPT." do any work on your boat....find another shop ! ! !
Glad to read that you would consider Commander again. :)
BTW I went to the Volvo site and got the correct part number for the flush kit and ordered it from a place in Montclair. Not easy fining parts for a VP DPX. This part was NOT offered in 2000 and as of the time I had work done @ Commander (Aug 2002) Bill used a plastic tip on a garden hose and pressed it into the nose cone (fact).
PS. Thank You, now I am going away :D
[ March 19, 2003, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Luvr ]

FIREMAN
03-19-2003, 11:08 PM
Well I'm glad to see all of us can get along like the rich educated folks that we are. Right? If any of us bought a 12 foot row boat we would be arguing about the paddles....Duh! So let's make like Good ole Rodney KIng and the L.A. PD and "JUST GET ALONG." Have a cold one on me.. We'll all be admiring each others boats over a coors light in a month anyway argue ...
:D :D :D
[ March 19, 2003, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: FIREMAN ]

bigq
03-20-2003, 12:24 AM
No worries here and HL always is a polite poster from what I read. :D
So did you deceide on the cat yet?

Sandbar Mike
03-20-2003, 06:47 AM
I apologize for feeding the past fire,
HL Remember how good the Cheetah pulled your 70K + Commander all the way back from the sandbar after commander (repaired your problems)for the third time.
No offense to any of you, but buy something ****ing else. Buy a Go# damn Cheetah. :D
P.S. I'll never forget when JB took my wife and I
for a test ride in the 26 cat, he says oh shit forgot the keys,let me get my wire stripper.
My wife and I watching his guy hot wire the fu#king boat was Classic
Goodluck

Havasu Luvr
03-20-2003, 08:20 AM
Sandbar Mike
Member # 2302 posted 20 March, 2003 06:47 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HL Remember how good the Cheetah pulled your 70K + Commander all the way back from the sandbar after commander (repaired your problems)for the third time.
No offense to any of you, but buy something ****ing else. Buy a Go# damn Cheetah.
P.S. I'll never forget when JB took my wife and I
for a test ride in the 26 cat, he says oh shit forgot the keys,let me get my wire stripper.
My wife and I watching his guy hot wire the fu#king boat was Classic
Goodluck Mike, to each their own.... Fireman started a thread asking about Commander (thining about up grade to 28' Cat). I just gave him a factual calender of events that I have experienced with Commander. It must have been his "Purpose" in life to try and "Flame" me. argue . I feel someone like this will be Happy with the Commander Family. Good luck Fireman
Cold Tecate's for every one

bigq
03-20-2003, 08:48 AM
Havasu Luvr
Cold Tecate's for every one [/QB]Damn HL, your all jacked up, drinking Tecate's and driving a V-Hull. :D :D :D

Havasu Luvr
03-20-2003, 08:52 AM
bigq
Member # 5 posted 20 March, 2003 08:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Havasu Luvr:
Cold Tecate's for every one [/QB]
Damn HL, your all jacked up, drinking Tecate's and driving a V-Hull. bigg, see what Commander did to me??? :D
Fireman, dont let this happen to you too eek!

FIREMAN
03-20-2003, 09:29 AM
HL
Is the "Goodluck" ment in an honest way? Or are you suggesting a fellow partier and sandbar frequenter "Badluck". If so this has gone to a place that I really don't have time for. Much like, "Hey let's meet at the bike racks after school." Brother, You Don't know me, You don't know what I'm all about and you sure as hell don't understand the consept between constructive critisim and non-constructive. burningm burningm
[ March 20, 2003, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: FIREMAN ]

FIREMAN
03-20-2003, 09:49 AM
HL,
I would not try and "Flame you" Where ever that term came from is far away from where I'm from.
So do you live in The Big apple valley? Thats not far from Vegas. How about you drag your boat out here for some beer and good conversation this weekend. Lake Mead is coming up after the rains.
There will be a bunch of us from LVHB there on sat/sunday. These boards are great for Info and good talk. But hey, what were they estblished for. To hook up with other people that like to do the same thing, Drink beer and Have a good time.

DogHouse
03-20-2003, 09:53 AM
Fireman, considering the expensive crap that HL went through, I'd say that he has been quite fair in his accounts of what went on with Commander. Unlike some others who have had problems with a builder, I don't ever recall him coming onto the board with a big post blasting Commander. On a couple of occasions, he has answered people's questions about his deal, but that's about it. I'm not sure why you felt the need to put up a post that basically tried to discredit HL's story, but in my opinion his responses to you were fairly restrained, again mostly just answering questions and presenting more facts about the case. If you knew HL you wouldn't be questioning whether or not he's trying to help or hurt your new boat deal.
-brian
[ March 20, 2003, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: DogHouse ]

NOCTURNAL
03-20-2003, 10:17 AM
I HAVE BEEN LOOKING OVER THIS THREAD AND SINCE I AM ALSO A COMMANDER OWNER AND HAVE DEALT WITH SY, I THOUGHT I COULD ADD TO THE DISCUSSION.
WE BOUGHT A 25' MILLENNIUM A COUPLE YEARS AGO. SY DOES HAVE A TENDANCY TO MAKE PROMISES THAT HE CANNOT DELIVER ON (I.E. BUILD SCHEDULE). THE BOAT HAS BEEN THROUGH A COUPLE OF INITIAL PROBLEMS, BUT IF YOU, AS THE OWNER, TAKE THE PROPER TIME TO LOOK OVER THE BOAT BEFORE IT LEAVES THE LAKE PERRIS FACILITY THEN THE PROBLEMS WILL BE MINIMAL.
FIREMAN - MY ONLY OTHER COMMENT IS THIS: BEFORE YOU BUY A NEW COMMANDER TAKE SOME TIME TO ASK LONG TERM COMMANDER BOAT OWNERS AT THE LAKE OF THEIR EXPERIENCES WITH SY AND THEN MAKE YOUR DECISION. DON'T RELY ON THE TEST DRIVE, AND IF YOU DO DECIDE TO BUY A COMMANDER, TAKE THE BOAT AND RUN. NEVER TAKE IT BACK FOR SERVICE IN LAKE PERRIS OR YOU MAY NOT SEE THE BOAT AGAIN.
MY TWO CENTS...TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT.

FIREMAN
03-20-2003, 10:45 AM
I agree with you and acknowlege the premise of your statement. I thank all of you for your input,and will take that with me when I decide on the deal. I would like to say that the intent of the post regarding my fellow ***boaters and their experience's was not at all an attempt to discredit anyone,but only to get all the facts strait.
I owe HL,and all other previous and present Commander Boat owners a cold one for your help.
Thanks,
Dusty
http://www.tcwozere.co.uk/~cracks/otn/party/beerchug.gif

DogHouse
03-20-2003, 07:37 PM
Good job Fireman and I'm looking forward to seeing your new ride! Like with any builder, try to get everything in writing and stop by once in a while to take a look and keep 'em honest. Man, there are going to be a lot of new CATS on the lake this year, with the exception of HL's new 29' motorhome!
wink

Catfever
03-21-2003, 12:11 AM
Well said Doghouse, 28SportCat has owned 4 Commanders Starting from 1988 truekey and no drama also sold three of his boats with no problem at a fair price.Good luck Fireman and like Doghouse said get it on paper who ever you use because there great boat out there.

FIREMAN
03-21-2003, 07:42 AM
Cool thanks Bro's. I'll keep the facts sheet infront of me while doing the deal. How does 28 cat with Dana tabs, Broavo X drive 496Mag HO,with custom Gel Coat and Extreme trailer sound for around 68,000.?

NOCTURNAL
03-21-2003, 08:57 AM
Fireman -
Watch out for the "custom" gelcoat at Commander. They did our first boat and completely f@#%ed it up. To their credit they made a completely new hull with a new design. The colors they spray on the test board tended to be lighter on the board than on the boat. They sprayed a yellow-orange mix on the board which was the color we wanted, but when the boat was pulled out of the mold it was almost all orange.
You will need to spend time with them on the gelcoat to make sure it is EXACTLY what you want. Goodluck...i have heard nothing but good things about the 28' cat. The only problems have existed with handling details with the customers.

bigq
03-21-2003, 02:13 PM
FIREMAN:
Cool thanks Bro's. I'll keep the facts sheet infront of me while doing the deal. How does 28 cat with Dana tabs, Broavo X drive 496Mag HO,with custom Gel Coat and Extreme trailer sound for around 68,000.? Sounds good. I priced a 28 magic, no Dana Tabs and it was 74k. Mind you this was just over the phone, no other discussions.Have you looked at others like magic or conquest? I like magics Open Helm.Those 28' are big boats though.

FIREMAN
03-21-2003, 08:25 PM
Oh don't get me wrong I love magic/sleekcraft boats. My sister met a guy named Matt at the sandbar last year, he came over to grab a beer and started partyin on our boat with my sister and her friends, He was being pretty cool. When he said hey do you guys want to take this party to my boat, cause I should check on it? We said sure and waded through the water over to none other than the 44'Magic Cat. What a site it was too. Plasma TV screens,a huge bathroom,leather couch's "the whole shmeels", As Rodney Dangerfield would say. I got to start the 3 whipple charged engines and cruise around the corner to the gorge. It got to a plane pretty quick and ran fast. We were all stoked. And all because we offered this dude that wanted a beer and like everybody was havin a killer time. At the sandbar,no one in need of a beer is turned down, unless they pull up on there jet ski and act like a poser from LA. J/k
[ March 22, 2003, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: FIREMAN ]

h2oski2fast
03-23-2003, 01:47 AM
Oh don't get me wrong I love magic/sleekcraft boats. My sister met a guy named Matt at the sandbar last year, he came over to grab a beer and started partyin on our boat with my sister and her friends, He was being pretty cool. When he said hey do you guys want to take this party to my boat, cause I should check on it? We said sure and waded through the water over to none other than the 44'Magic Cat. That's not Matt's boat! He's just a tell you what you want to hear salesman, and oh yeah, basically a limo driver. He doesn't even own a boat! The owner of that TOAD pays him to drive it around (while the owner get pickled). Matt is just a salesman for Magic. That's kinda funny that he's drivin a $350,000 boat and has to bum beers off everyone else.
[ March 23, 2003, 01:49 AM: Message edited by: h2oski2fast ]

h2oski2fast
03-23-2003, 02:01 AM
Well good luck FIREMAN! I guess Sy didn't address the problems I explained in the thread. What would you expect? Who's gonna tell the truth, Sy (who's trying to sell you a boat), or someone who has gone through exactly what you are going to go through? The beauty of a good price is long forgetten after the realization of poor craftsmanship begins!
If you needs someone to design some graphics, let me know. I've done stuff for Advantage, Shockwave, Formula, and even Commander.

FIREMAN
04-02-2003, 05:54 PM
Thanks, Well Sy has been keeping me updated with the deal by calling me every morning and giving the 411 on the sceduled day for the mold. It's Friday.. Sweet You know as well as I do that half the battle of getting a boat done is the usual 3-4 week lag time waiting for the mold to be yours. Here's a pic of what the gelcoat will look like only I'm getting the closed bow and the flames will be red. http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/uploads/post-2-38844-boat.jpg
[ April 02, 2003, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: FIREMAN ]

FIREMAN
04-02-2003, 05:58 PM
http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/uploads/post-2-33805-flames.jpg

PlayTime
04-02-2003, 06:40 PM
Sandbar Mike:
No offense to any of you, but buy something ****ing else. Buy a Go# damn Cheetah. :D
Goodluck Nooooooooooooo!!! Not another cheetah pleazzzzzze.
J/K had to let out of my system.

bigq
04-02-2003, 07:51 PM
Very cool!!! :D
Fireman= red flame boat, why am I not suprised. :D :D
At least it's not blue flames. wink J/K Charlie, Tobtek, SandbarMike, etc...........

syke-o
04-02-2003, 10:12 PM
FIREMAN:
http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/uploads/post-2-33805-flames.jpg congrats, and keep us updated as it is being built...

Sandbar Mike
04-03-2003, 07:20 AM
Congrats Fireman,
I haven't seen a commander closed bow cat, I'll bet it'll look awsome. Having a closed bow should get you a little more out of that 496 HO.
Good Luck :D
[ April 03, 2003, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: Sandbar Mike ]

Charley
04-03-2003, 08:03 AM
Hey another new boat...... everyone lets personally keep the economy flowing
NEW BOATS FOR EVERYONE!!
Congrads Fireman! :D

FIREMAN
04-03-2003, 09:25 AM
Thankyou, I'm stoked. But hell I can't stand being with out a boat for a single week, Let alone an entire month. I need my water fix every now and then. You can take the boy out of Orange County but you can't take the orange county out of the boy... With all this desert in vegas, You need some water around you atleast once every three to four days..