PDA

View Full Version : Honda 450f

Speedin' Ian
08-22-2004, 04:24 PM
Thinking about buying a new 450F and I was curious what you guys are paying for them out the door, and what kind of financing are you getting? Also how are these bikes as far as all around bikes ( tracks, dessert, etc. )? Thanks for any input.

JetBoatRich
08-22-2004, 04:33 PM
Check this place, best price I have found :cool:
La Cycle (http://www.lacyclesports.com/hondamc.htm)

Boozer
08-22-2004, 04:42 PM
Thinking about buying a new 450F and I was curious what you guys are paying for them out the door, and what kind of financing are you getting? Also how are these bikes as far as all around bikes ( tracks, dessert, etc. )? Thanks for any input.
Have you ever ridden one? Are you any experienced rider?
My father and I use to ride 250's but then he bumped up to a YZ426 a couple years ago. He loves it but I personally hate it. I would recommend riding one before you pull the trigger on buying one. They feel a lot different then a 250 and they are a bitch to start.

Wicky
08-22-2004, 04:44 PM
I picked up my CR250 for 4800 out the door. The CRF 450 was 5300 out the door. My 250 beat up my bros CRF 450 and all the other HONDA and Yami 450s. We raced 4 times up a hill 6 bikes wide and my 2-stroke prevailed by over 2 bike lengths everytime!!!! Oh yeah, my bike is bone stock and theirs all had mods done.
Mow,
Wicky

Hal
08-22-2004, 05:19 PM
I bought a 2002 OTD for $7200.00 when they first came out. I would think that is way to much to pay these days. The bike was bitchen, it would do anything you wanted it to do. Saved my ass more than a few times. You got power from 0 to where ever. It starts on the first kick. The only reason I sold it was to save my life ,it lets you ride way over your head and at my age I don't need that. I have never rode a bike that handled so well. Used to race TT and short track back in the late 60s and early 70s so this was my first bike in 30 years. All I can say is if your a Honda guy go with the 450 you wont be sorry you did. What they get for them these days I don't know but I don't think I would pay over the price that on has on there web site.
PS... If this is your first bike or your not very experenced in riding I would not recomend this bike.

RiverRatMike
08-22-2004, 05:20 PM
I personally like the Yamaha WR450F way better than the CRF450. More power and has a headlight and electrric start which is very cool! Had my new WR for a few months and and just love everything about it. Been riding dirtbikes for over 20 years now and this bike has got me hooked. Great bike!!!!

100mbs
08-22-2004, 05:30 PM
Check out Alba Action in Poway. They have them listed at $5699.00. I know with the Quads they put a jet kit, pipe, seat, and bars for the same price everyone else does for a stock one. They might do the same for MX. They also ship door to door.
Click here to go to Alba Action WebSite (http://www.albaaction.com/)

Hal
08-22-2004, 05:37 PM
Your right Mike if I was to buy another bike to play on I would go for the wr450. The lights and electric start are great and would work for the type of riding I want to do today. But if I wanted to go fast without the extra 50+ Lbs I don't think you could beat the Honda CRF450R. They have sure proven themselves on the race track, Flat track and MX.

RiverRatMike
08-22-2004, 05:45 PM
yeah Hal your right. Just had bad experiances with Hondas over the years. I'd never ever buy one. Believe me my WR is fast had it up to 95 this weekend out on a paved road outside of Parker. I backed off after that speed. I still had a little more throttle. Weight doesn't bother me one bit. I don't think the WR is heavy at all. I don't ride easy either I run my WR pretty hard and it's just amazing! Just comes down to perferance I guess.

77charger
08-22-2004, 06:04 PM
I rode one last year.I also owned a cr 250 before.All i can say is that it started very easily,left like a cr 500 and reved like a cr250 but only faster.defintely an awesome bike

Speedin' Ian
08-22-2004, 06:29 PM
Thanks for ther advice guys, I have always been a honda guy so that is what I'm going to stick with, and yes I have riden bikes quite a bit. My last bike was a CR 250 with a blue printed motor that was set-up for the dessert, I just figured a stock 450F would suit me better. I was more or less interested in what kind of prices you guys were getting and what, if any, problems you have had.

Jrocket
08-22-2004, 06:48 PM
I picked up my CR250 for 4800 out the door. The CRF 450 was 5300 out the door. My 250 beat up my bros CRF 450 and all the other HONDA and Yami 450s. We raced 4 times up a hill 6 bikes wide and my 2-stroke prevailed by over 2 bike lengths everytime!!!! Oh yeah, my bike is bone stock and theirs all had mods done.
Mow,
Wicky
And then you woke up!Those other guys cant ride is why you won.Theres no way no how,that your 250 is going to beat a 450.

Jrocket
08-22-2004, 06:50 PM
I personally like the Yamaha WR450F way better than the CRF450. More power and has a headlight and electrric start which is very cool! Had my new WR for a few months and and just love everything about it. Been riding dirtbikes for over 20 years now and this bike has got me hooked. Great bike!!!!
Two completely different bikes.Ones for trails and ones for racing,but to say the wr has more power than the 450 race bike?I dont think so.

Bense468
08-22-2004, 06:51 PM
Have you ever ridden one? Are you any experienced rider?
My father and I use to ride 250's but then he bumped up to a YZ426 a couple years ago. He loves it but I personally hate it. I would recommend riding one before you pull the trigger on buying one. They feel a lot different then a 250 and they are a bitch to start.
The 426's are hard to start. The 450's are cake. Bitchen bike, riden both the yzf and the crf. Like em both.

RiverRatMike
08-22-2004, 06:57 PM
it does when you have the YZ450F cam in the WR450F like mine does. Almost too much power to handle!
Two completely different bikes.Ones for trails and ones for racing,but to say the wr has more power than the 450 race bike?I dont think so.

Wicky
08-22-2004, 06:57 PM
I rode one last year.I also owned a cr 250 before.All i can say is that it started very easily,left like a cr 500 and reved like a cr250 but only faster.defintely an awesome bike
No sushi for you Rob!!!!!!! :p Left like a CR500-Not a chance except for maybe the first 10 feet!!!! Then, sianara!!!
Just got back from the Bignastyhillclimb.com. Same people who put on the Widowmaker. In the pro stock/amatuer classes the 4 strokes wish they were 8 strokes!!!! The farthest any 4 stroker made it was halfway and the 4 strokers outnumbered the 2 strokes. It was a heyday for the CR500s dominating most classes with a couple of KX 500 also taking care of bidness.
It was however, the NitroMeth Hayabusa that won in Unlimited!!
When are we going fishing Rob?
Mow,
Wicky

Jrocket
08-22-2004, 06:58 PM
it does when you have the YZ450F cam in the WR450F like mine does. Almost too much power to handle!
That was funny.

Wicky
08-22-2004, 07:04 PM
And then you woke up!Those other guys cant ride is why you won.Theres no way no how,that your 250 is going to beat a 450.
Look it up. Adam Evans WON the RENO to Vegas race. I think he can ride. He was ranked 5th in the nation. He beat Brian Brown. All the guys I ride with race A class and have many wins. So, wrong answer!!!
How much do you want to bet Jrocket?? THis is a hillclimb. Not a flat race.
My 250vsYour450 uphill!!!!

angry dad
08-22-2004, 07:25 PM
get the ds 650!!! i am!!!

Jrocket
08-22-2004, 07:29 PM
Look it up. Adam Evans WON the RENO to Vegas race. I think he can ride. He was ranked 5th in the nation. He beat Brian Brown. All the guys I ride with race A class and have many wins. So, wrong answer!!!
How much do you want to bet Jrocket?? THis is a hillclimb. Not a flat race.
My 250vsYour450 uphill!!!!
Ill bet all you want.Lay off the buds,errr I mean spuds,those potatoes up there are making you dingeeee.
Now how are we going to race when we are so far apart?

dave186
08-22-2004, 07:50 PM
i work at a bike shop, we do performance mods and sell accesories, we also have a bike dyno. the yamaha YZ450 lays down 1 or 2 more HP than the CRF450 but the curves are a lot different. the CRF is a lot smoother than the YZF and easier to ride for some. i personally prefer the CRF over the YZF, especially since i ride the dez and the YZF has the 4 speed. i wouldnt even consider the WRF because of the e start and head and tail lights. right now i have a Husaberg FC550 with a little bit of motorwork, lays down 51hp on the dyno, and it has a 6 speed ;)

RiverRatMike
08-22-2004, 08:39 PM
yeah a 6 speed trany would be nice but I know my WR will give me years of reliable service and tons riding time. Just like my other Yamaha's have done for me through the years.
i work at a bike shop, we do performance mods and sell accesories, we also have a bike dyno. the yamaha YZ450 lays down 1 or 2 more HP than the CRF450 but the curves are a lot different. the CRF is a lot smoother than the YZF and easier to ride for some. i personally prefer the CRF over the YZF, especially since i ride the dez and the YZF has the 4 speed. i wouldnt even consider the WRF because of the e start and head and tail lights. right now i have a Husaberg FC550 with a little bit of motorwork, lays down 51hp on the dyno, and it has a 6 speed ;)

RiverRatMike
08-22-2004, 08:43 PM
and the e-start and the headlight is awesome! I do alot of night riding out in Parker and it's great even in the hot summer months. Just wait till it gets dark and then go tear it up. :)
yeah a 6 speed trany would be nice but I know my WR will give me years of reliable service and tons riding time. Just like my other Yamaha's have done for me through the years.

Screemy1
08-22-2004, 08:52 PM
Be Retro... it's in, it's hip, it's the thing to do! Buy a 2-stroke.... they are the next classic..... Why are all the strokies leaving.... I personnaly love twostrokes.... maybe I just like the smell :confused:

NashvilleBound
08-23-2004, 04:04 AM
I bought a 2002 OTD for $7200.00 when they first came out. I would think that is way to much to pay these days. The bike was bitchen, it would do anything you wanted it to do. Saved my ass more than a few times. You got power from 0 to where ever. It starts on the first kick. The only reason I sold it was to save my life ,it lets you ride way over your head and at my age I don't need that. I have never rode a bike that handled so well. Used to race TT and short track back in the late 60s and early 70s so this was my first bike in 30 years. All I can say is if your a Honda guy go with the 450 you wont be sorry you did. What they get for them these days I don't know but I don't think I would pay over the price that on has on there web site.
PS... If this is your first bike or your not very experenced in riding I would not recomend this bike.
That is exactly what I am affraid of...being able to ride like I am 20 again when I am twice that....now that I think about it...damn it!

Speedin' Ian
08-23-2004, 10:47 AM
Called LA Cycles and the waiting list is into October, also they are getting 6999 for new 05's which seems a little steep. So my next question is does anyone have an 04 for sale? :) And what is the difference between the 03, 04 and 05?

Freak
08-23-2004, 11:37 AM
Try to stay away from the 03's. They had probs with the valve springs wearing out quick. My brother inlaw has a 04. That bike is so nice to ride on it crazy.

JET-O-VATOR
08-23-2004, 12:10 PM
i currently ride a 03 cr250. and i am a very aggresive sand rider i ride glamis at least 10 times a year and dumont 4-5 times a year with a couple of pismo trips in the summer.. i ride with 2 04 yz450s and 3 crf450s, 3 cr 250s and a couple of cr500s. the 450s kick the 250 asses on the hill and they beat the 500's too. my bike has slight motor work and i am ab out a bike length behind the 450's and the 500's i can run right with... my bike is going up for sale this month as well as my 85 250r atc and my 00 blaster to buy an 04 crf450r and a 05 trx450r... they are freaking bitchen bikes the honda out runs the yz's just a little on top but it has a way nicer power curve.. much more rider friendly and i personnaly like the ergos better than the yz's.. and just for the record i work for yoshimura so im around this shiat all day so im pretty knowledgeable on this stuff... jus my .02 cents :hammerhea
o and there is one yz450 in our group that kicks all the bikes asses. its an 04 yz450 with a boonedockers nos kit gawd damn that is fuggin scarry fast
honda--> :eat: <---yamaha

Wicky
08-23-2004, 12:48 PM
i currently ride a 03 cr250. and i am a very aggresive sand rider i ride glamis at least 10 times a year and dumont 4-5 times a year with a couple of pismo trips in the summer.. i ride with 2 04 yz450s and 3 crf450s, 3 cr 250s and a couple of cr500s. the 450s kick the 250 asses on the hill and they beat the 500's too. my bike has slight motor work and i am ab out a bike length behind the 450's and the 500's i can run right with... my bike is going up for sale this month as well as my 85 250r atc and my 00 blaster to buy an 04 crf450r and a 05 trx450r... they are freaking bitchen bikes the honda out runs the yz's just a little on top but it has a way nicer power curve.. much more rider friendly and i personnaly like the ergos better than the yz's.. and just for the record i work for yoshimura so im around this shiat all day so im pretty knowledgeable on this stuff... jus my .02 cents :hammerhea
o and there is one yz450 in our group that kicks all the bikes asses. its an 04 yz450 with a boonedockers nos kit gawd damn that is fuggin scarry fast
honda--> :eat: <---yamaha
Question to you is HOW much do you weigh?? I used to ride glamis 6 or 7 times a year and Dumont 4 or 5 times a year. Pismo was a joke. Now it is all about St. Anthony's since I live in Idaho now.
It sounds like the 500s are tired if your 250 is keeping up. I ride in good company as well. The guys I ride with own Rekluse racing clutches and FLY aka Western Power Sports. Granted, they all had 03s. This weekend at the BIGNASTYHILLCLIMB.com. it was the CR500s dominating the 450s when just trying to get to the top. It was a 60 degree climb. There wasn't a single 450 that made it over the 1st big ledge. Power to weight is where it is at. You should have seen the 10 and 12 year olds going up this cliff. Dusty Beers was the overall winner. His son is 12 and kicked 90% of all the other pro climbers but, he didn't out do dad. Power to weight is where it is at. When you have a Hayabusa pumped up on nitro-methanol stuffed into a CR chassis, it is a wicked combination that is very hard to beat!!! There wasn't a single Harley to be seen.
Mow,
Wicky

JET-O-VATOR
08-23-2004, 12:56 PM
thats very true i weigh about 130 and all the guys on the 500's are 200 plus and the guys on the 450's (guessing) 140-160. power to weight is greater than h.p.

No Regrets
08-23-2004, 01:10 PM
Called LA Cycles and the waiting list is into October, also they are getting 6999 for new 05's which seems a little steep. So my next question is does anyone have an 04 for sale? :) And what is the difference between the 03, 04 and 05?
Ive got an 04 crf450 and after 3 generations of of YZF's- 400,426 & 450 I switched to RED. It was painful, but its the easiest bike to go faster on. I weigh 250lbs and thought because the YZF had more punch, Id need it. I can ride twice as long at the track on the crf than I could on the YZF. It has a great powerband yet strong power when you need it. If you can swing an 05 do it- A couple of my buddies work at the magazines and theyre saying the 05 is the best bike made to date. If you cant swing new, defintely go 04. Majorly better bike than 02 & 03. Add a power now & a white bros pipe and the thing is unstoppable. No need for suspension work either- perfect out the crate.
Hmmm, when did you say the 05's will be here :idea:

casean
08-23-2004, 01:20 PM
I bought the CRF 450 the first year it came out, and it has been an all around good bike. The only major problem I have had was with my intake valves. Both of them began to suck in and flatten out. Even though I continued to adjust my valves this problem continued. I ended up replacing them with the Kibble White stainless steel intake valve and spring kit. Now a year later the bike runs awesome, haven't had to adjust the valves at all, and with this setup I don't get the typical early "floating" of the valves which I experienced with the stock setup. I wouldn't trade my 450 for anything....except a newer model :D

Wicky
08-23-2004, 01:31 PM
When I bought my CR last year they were $6,299. I bought mine in UTAH for $4800 delivered OTD granted, I put it together and dialed it in which was fine by me.
Mow,
Wicky

IN2MX
08-23-2004, 02:37 PM
I have owned 2 CRF450's........A 2002 and now a 2004...
I bought my 2002 at Bert's motorcycle mall for $7000.00 otd.....
I bought my 2004 at LA Cycle in Inglewood, Ca for $6100.00 OTD......
DO NOT BUY YOUR BIKE FROM BERT'S - YOU WILL GET RIPPED OFF and it will take you about 6 hours of haggling to get even to that point....Along with that they are soooo busy it just takes forever there...
La Cycle is the best place ever....No haggle, no fuss....Little mom and pop store that will give you the OTD price over the phone....You like it, come get it.....1/2 hour and you are outta there.....BEST BUYING EXPERIANCE EVER!

BOBALOO
08-23-2004, 03:21 PM
Ditto on Berts, I only bought my wifes bike there b/c nobody had one in stock and I hit every shop around. when you try to get a price there you HAVE to fill out a credit app. just to get an answer. They also DID NOT put oil into the crank case after I asked them if all the fluids were full and they started it and ran it, I thought all was good so we took the bike out a few times before I drained it and found hardly any oil. I live 10 min from Berts and I will drive 30 miles past them to buy from a smaller shop that can appreciate my business more and get it right.
BTW all my friends love their CR 450's of various years.

Woodster
08-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Ive been riding /racing MX pretty much all of my life, and the 04crf450 is prob the best bike ive owned to date..The YZF450's power is very abrupt..Almost to much of a hit in the midrange..That makes the bike hard to ride especially for a beginner rider..Hondas quality is like a sore dick...U cant beat it! :rollside: Anyways I personally would buy an 04 if u could..I just so happen to have one for sale.. :cool:

JetBoatRich
08-23-2004, 04:45 PM
La Cycle is the best place ever....No haggle, no fuss....Little mom and pop store that will give you the OTD price over the phone....You like it, come get it.....1/2 hour and you are outta there.....BEST BUYING EXPERIANCE EVER!
I bought three bikes in the last year there, I called before the first two and each time I was in and out in 30 minutes :D I walked in on a third bike, it still only took an hour :shift:

ColeTR1
08-23-2004, 05:55 PM
Get an XR400 unless your going to race on a motocross track every weekend!

Havasu Cig
08-23-2004, 06:08 PM
My buddy ordered two in a crate from Canada in early 04 and he think he payed about 5k each. He strictly races these but said you can't get a green sticker on a bike from Canada.
If you are looking for a bike to just use at the track this is the way I would go.

JetBoatRich
08-23-2004, 06:09 PM
Get an XR400 unless your going to race on a motocross track every weekend!
That is what I bought for me a couple months ago :cool: works for me

alfonzo
08-23-2004, 08:11 PM
I have owned 2 CRF450's........A 2002 and now a 2004...
I bought my 2002 at Bert's motorcycle mall for $7000.00 otd.....
I bought my 2004 at LA Cycle in Inglewood, Ca for $6100.00 OTD......
DO NOT BUY YOUR BIKE FROM BERT'S - YOU WILL GET RIPPED OFF and it will take you about 6 hours of haggling to get even to that point....Along with that they are soooo busy it just takes forever there...
What the hell? I bought my 04 450 at LA Cycle for 6650.00 otd. I think I got ripped!Everywere else around La wanted 7200.00 +tax and license.

RiverRatMike
08-24-2004, 05:18 AM
how can you go any faster? I have a 04 WR450F and that bike is just out of control fast! I have rid'n the CRF's and just don't like them at all. My WR powerband is great and is very smooth. Wouldn't sell it for anything!
Ive got an 04 crf450 and after 3 generations of of YZF's- 400,426 & 450 I switched to RED. It was painful, but its the easiest bike to go faster on. I weigh 250lbs and thought because the YZF had more punch, Id need it. I can ride twice as long at the track on the crf than I could on the YZF. It has a great powerband yet strong power when you need it. If you can swing an 05 do it- A couple of my buddies work at the magazines and theyre saying the 05 is the best bike made to date. If you cant swing new, defintely go 04. Majorly better bike than 02 & 03. Add a power now & a white bros pipe and the thing is unstoppable. No need for suspension work either- perfect out the crate.
Hmmm, when did you say the 05's will be here :idea:

No Regrets
08-24-2004, 07:21 AM
how can you go any faster? I have a 04 WR450F and that bike is just out of control fast! I have rid'n the CRF's and just don't like them at all. My WR powerband is great and is very smooth. Wouldn't sell it for anything!
You ever heard the term-slow down to go faster? To clarify- If your not fighting the bike you dont get worn down-so you can go faster longer. If all you want to do is climb hills and then rest- buy the yzf. If you want to ride moto or fast trail rides without stopping evry 10 minutes- buy the crf. Im sure once you ride the crf450x, you'll be thinkin twice. If I could figure a way to just get that elec start on my crf, my dead engine grand prix starts would actually be fun.

jhnharvy773
04-11-2011, 04:48 PM
i have a 2003 kawie kfx 400 and my friend has a brand new honda 450, my question is will any parts from the 450 fit? axle, sproket, a arms, tie rods, handel bars etc...hes getting all new aftermarket parts and has nothing to do with the old ones so before i buy them cheap, will they fit and would the shocks work better than stock kawie ones? thanks

Jesus
09-10-2013, 05:20 AM
Well my brother in law and i use, to drive 250 but then he pulled up to a several years ago. He likes, it but i personally dislike it. I would suggest driving one before you take, the induce on purchasing one. They experience, a lot different then a 250.