PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use MagnaFlow Exhaust??

100mbs
08-22-2004, 04:26 PM
Just wondering if anybody has installed a Magnaflow Cat-Back system on their Chevy/GM 2500 6.0L GAS.
Any Feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks.

HALLETT BOY
08-22-2004, 08:58 PM
Yea , i did ! Took it back off because it resonated so bad in the cab...

100mbs
08-22-2004, 09:14 PM
What did you install instead? I dont want it to be load inside the cab either.

565edge
08-22-2004, 09:15 PM
I had magnaflow on my gas truck anf it resonited bad.I have their new stainless turbo back 4" on my 2000 powerstroke and it sounds great.

HALLETT BOY
08-23-2004, 09:20 AM
I put on some performance / quiet muffler that the shop recommended, lost all kinds of performance, so now I'm going to put a Flowmaster on with a heat /
sound shield on...we 'll see what happens

100mbs
08-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Yeah, let me know how you like it.

Red Eye
08-23-2004, 11:41 AM
I have one on my Dodge Hemi and right at 2000RPMs is got to be the most annoying sound I've ever paid for.

Lightning
08-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Some companies make a resonator tip that you can put on that does not affect performance. Ask you local exhaust shop.

goneboatin
08-28-2004, 11:52 AM
I had a '99 Silverado with the 5.3 in it. I originally wanted the Flowmaster 70 series, but the shops kept pushing the Magnaflow. They said there were workmanship problems and the Flowmaster fell apart inside then rattled. So I let them talk me into the Magnaflow -- What a piece of s h i t! At 1800 to 2300 rpm (freeway cruising speed) it resonated until I got to about 85mph. After 2 weeks e-mailing and calling Magnaflow and getting nowhere, I spent another 175 bucks on a Dynomax Super Turbo. It was much quieter, but at cruising on the freeway you had to turn down the radio to carry on a conversation.
I've got a new truck with the 6.0 in it, I want more rumble but want it quiet at cruising speeds. Is there such an animal?

goneboatin
08-28-2004, 11:54 AM
Just wondering if anybody has installed a Magnaflow Cat-Back system on their Chevy/GM 2500 6.0L GAS.
Any Feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Don't do it!

Magic34
08-28-2004, 01:17 PM
I had the magnaflow on my 2003 6L gas Chevy motor. It actually seemed not to help gas mileage at all. I didn't have any problems with the sound like others have posted. Pro Dyno High Performance in Tempe, AZ installed the exhaust for me.

100mbs
08-28-2004, 05:21 PM
So it sounds like the Magnaflow is a POS.
So what does everyone have one their GAS trucks?

Dr. Eagle
08-28-2004, 07:51 PM
I had a magnaflow cat back installed on my K2500 Suburban with the 8.1L. It is a great system... after reading all the negative feedback here, kinda makes you wonder. I had one on my old (92) Suburban and it was great, maybe a little loud for my taste. I put one on my Jeep Wrangler and love the sound and the engine runs tons better. The one on my new burb is not a whole lot louder than stock... just a little more throat. It has been a great muffler system for me.. all stainless steel, and I have about 55K miles on it. Interesting....

Dr. Eagle
08-28-2004, 07:54 PM
At 1800 to 2300 rpm (freeway cruising speed) it resonated until I got to about 85mph. After 2 weeks e-mailing and calling Magnaflow and getting nowhere, I spent another 175 bucks on a Dynomax Super Turbo.
That sounds a lot more like installation problems than issues with the muffler itself. Mine works awesome and it is quiet inside as a church mouse or as quiet inside as stock...

WUTWZAT
08-28-2004, 08:43 PM
Sorry to piss on anybodies parade here but your not telling exactly what setup you had. Was it single out dual out etc.... And other than noise how did it affect performance?
I had a dodge with a MagnaFlow single 3" side exit behind axle that gave me everything. The resonance wasn't too bad and all my neighbors thought the truck sounded so tuff. They were surprised it was a single outlet exhaust which was recomended by the shop I went to to keep the back pressure up slightly since I tow and give me good drivability on the street day to day.
I went to Rancho Santa Margarita Muffler in Lake Forest, CA on Lake Forest Drive and Dimension. They are willing to answer question and know their stuff to the type of driving and results you will want. I wanted alot of resonance, but was advised against the dual out, and was real happy that the cab stayed queit but had a good rumble outside the truck.
Jason

MOBrien
08-30-2004, 11:54 AM
I had MAC Pro-chamber muffs(same design as Flowmaster) on my 2000 Mustang GT and had to switch 'em out because the resonating was ridiculous inside the car. Went with the Magnaflows and it sounded terrific, gave a mid-range boost, and was quite a bit quieter except when puttin my foot down to release the nice growl that still wasn't as loud as the chamber muffs. Then I got a 5.4 F-150 Supercrew and Magnafllow was my first and only choice. It's much quieter than the Flowmaster-style chamber muffs and I'm quite happy.
Weird how there is such a difference between experiences with this gear. I recommend them over the Flow's all day.
That's my $.02

HALLETT BOY
08-30-2004, 01:58 PM
Just installed a Flowmaster, got back the power and it is a little bit quieter than the Dyna flow...and it doesn't resonate quite as bad but still does a little..oh well , that's the price for power .

XTRM22
08-30-2004, 02:56 PM
I have a Magnaflow muffler, and a 3' cat back system made for me by a shop here in Tucson. I noticed a little midrange oompf, and it sounds cooler then stock, which is all I was after. Oh yeah this is on my V-10 F350.
Chuck

fourspeednup
08-30-2004, 05:03 PM
Go for the B&B exhaust. It has a mellow rumble at idle through cruise speeds but when you get on it...it'll make it's presence known. Sounds great on my bro's 2002 HD 2500 w/ 8.1
Several dealerships in town install B&B products on high end trucks and SUV's such as Escalade/Denali/HD 2500-3500/etc.
I'd go with 3" cat back, single outlet.

fourspeednup
08-30-2004, 05:07 PM
BTW... B&B exhaust (http://www.bbtriflo.com/B&BMain.htm)

77charger
08-30-2004, 07:32 PM
I had one on my old sub yes it was louder but it sounded good to me.If you want to complain about resonance then keep the stock system. :rollside: :confused:

RacerX
08-30-2004, 08:11 PM
Just bought one today and it sounds AWESOME....I put the intake on as well. These are the 1st mod's I've done to my truck (Ford F150 SuperCrew) and I've owned it (4) years. I wouldn't even say it's "loud" but has a definite "rumble" to it...my kids loved it as well!! :D

N2Lake
08-31-2004, 03:23 AM
Running the Turbo back Magnaflow on a 6.0 diesel and could not be happier with the sound. No resonating, and really quite until you accelerate.

Dr. Eagle
08-31-2004, 03:55 PM
Running the Turbo back Magnaflow on a 6.0 diesel and could not be happier with the sound. No resonating, and really quite until you accelerate.
Honestly I have to believe that the fellow that had the resonating problem had an installation issue... I have had great luck and been happy with all 3 of my Magnaflow Muffler systems... I have a difficult time believing that the mufflers can vary that much from box to box...

flatline performance exhaust systems
08-31-2004, 08:46 PM
I sell all of them the best I use is the new Gibson 4 inch If you need a price email me at flatlineproducts@sbcglobal.net

Uplink
08-31-2004, 11:29 PM
Try the FLOWMASTER 70 SERIES. It sounds smooth, and not annyoing, No problems with mine.
;)

SoCalHD
09-14-2004, 03:06 PM
I have an 02 HD with the 6.0 Gas motor in it with a Magnaflow muffler. The shop I use in Riverside that has done all of my different vehicles mufflers did this-dual inlet, single outlet Magnaflow. Not the whole system which was not available for my truck(short bed, extra cab). Reason being, the stock exhaust on the truck is mandrel bent stainless steel tubing-3.5 in. So, they cut out the stock muffler, and welded in the Magnaflow-and I had them put a nice 4" chrome tip on as well. It sounds better, though almost too quiet for what I was expecting!! Don't really hear it unless mashing the go pedal. The shop reccomended the Magnaflow over the Flowmaster since I like to tow 6000lbs as often as possible :D They said the Flowmaster tends to retain heat a lot more. Hope this helps.