PDA

View Full Version : The End of Billy Burger?

Essex502
08-23-2004, 05:57 AM
Sinking Feeling? Stricter enforcement may doom floating vendors
BY MARK HALL
Saturday, August 21, 2004 11:03 PM MDT
They can be seen floating atop Lake Havasu on any busy weekend: floating hamburger joints, snack bars and equipment rental businesses.
However, these entrepreneurs could become a thing of the past if existing laws are enforced. City officials, saying the public is questioning them about it, are asking that enforcement of the laws be stepped up.
"I think that the community as a whole has been asking about it, and some of the commercial operations that have buildings and are having to pay overhead and building tax feel a little bit slighted," Lake Havasu City Councilman and Vice Mayor Don Clark said. "The bottom line is that they need to operate in accordance with commercial operation regulations."
Clark said it is unlawful for vendors to perform business on the lake or along much of Lake Havasu's shoreline without a permit. The Bureau of Land Management, a federal agency, controls most of the shoreline and the lake, he said.
"The BLM has no intention of issuing permits on Lake Havasu," Clark said.
The law has been in effect for a long time, but was not enforced because no one asked the Mohave County Sheriff's Office to do so.
Clark said that in addition to unfair competition issues, the floating vendors also raise safety issues on the lake. He said Thompson Bay, for example, is becoming increasingly clogged with boaters, and anchored vending boats add to the potential for unsafe conditions.
Some of the vendors who own these businesses believe they are unjustly being picked on.
Dave LaPlante has, with his wife, Crystal, owned All-Season Water for the past two years. The LaPlantes rent kayaks, personal watercrafts and water sports equipment, and they say their business has never been brought into questions before.
"When we started this business we checked to see of there were any permits needed. We contacted all entities: BLM, sheriff's department, police department, Army Corps of Engineers. All of them had no problem with us having a rental business on the water," LaPlante said. "We worked for a full year and we didn't have any problems and everything went great. Then, last year, the city started nit-picking."
LaPlante said he has a city business license and pays city, state and federal taxes on his earnings. He also said his business is insured. He said he would lose his business if lake vending were strictly enforced.
"We're here for the tourists. If they want a tube, or water skis, it's convenient for them. We're not bothering the beach. We're just a small business trying to do business in Havasu," he said. "It will definitely close our business down. I invested everything I had."
LaPlante said he splits business between Rotary Beach and London Bridge Beach every 30 days, as the Army Corps of Engineers instructed him.
Clark said the sheriff's office isn't going to start citing people right away, but plans to inform them of the law that already exists in a public awareness campaign.
"They're not going to cite them right off the bat. They'll go to the vendors and ask them to remove themselves from wherever they are. If they don't (comply), they'll cite them," Clark said.
Reprinted without permission of the News Herald

SHOCKWAVETOM
08-23-2004, 06:36 AM
Lets hope not but after reading the article it does seem like they, along with the other vendors are going to be run off at some point :(

Essex502
08-23-2004, 07:37 AM
I hope not.

charlyox
08-23-2004, 07:50 AM
Thems some damn good burgers! I wouldmiss them :confused:

gigamurph
08-23-2004, 12:26 PM
Say it ain't so shoeless Essex 502! The bass turds! Where's the Hamburgular when ya need 'im? :eek:

Ducatista
08-23-2004, 01:12 PM
Ah crap! How am I going to eat when I'm out on the GTX? I love those burger barges.

Ziggy
08-23-2004, 01:23 PM
Somehow I don't think the City can just pull any Licenses that they have issued without some sort of bargaining...afterall there are a few that have been doing this for quite a while now...I envision a Grandfather clause here...Hopefully. My glass is half full, not half empty.....Hey who's been drinking from my glass!!!!! :cry: :cry: :D

Krazy K
08-23-2004, 01:44 PM
Man, am I glad I don't live down there anymore!! You guys are getting regulated to death!! Next thing you know, you'll have to pay a water tax for your boat being on the water!! :boxed:

Ducatista
08-23-2004, 02:03 PM
I feel sorry for the people who bought Billy Burger awhile back, I believe the asking price was 150k, that would suck. :frown:

Three Days Only
08-23-2004, 02:19 PM
I thought Billy Burger caught on fire alittle while ago. Am I wrong?
I could of sworn we saw it burning!!!!!!! It wasnt BBQ either!!

mmered8299
08-23-2004, 03:02 PM
My kids love getting ice cream from those concessoners. Now we have to go back to that ass at Havasu Marina. Whats this shit about the concessoners congesting up Thomson Bay? Thomson Bay was congested before they showed up. I hated it when they moved those bouys out.

Ziggy
08-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Unfortunately, the city does not regulate the water or shoreline of Lake Havasu (or Parker). They need a concessionaire's license from the BLM, which they will not get, as the article stated.
Again, my glass is half full because the article said "The BLM controls MOST of the lake and shoreline" not all of it.......so I still see a loophole somewhere. :cool:
Just trying to put a positive spin on it---time will tell :argue:

Ziggy
08-23-2004, 03:27 PM
I think they meant "everything but the shoreline owned by the CRIT". :) You can't get a license from them either, they're regulated to death by the Federal government.
Ok, you burst my bubble, I give :D :D

Kilrtoy
08-23-2004, 05:24 PM
What a pile of SHIT.
We need to find out who is complaining and BOYCOTT Them and force them out of business

BoatFloating
08-23-2004, 05:43 PM
I thought Billy Burger caught on fire alittle while ago. Am I wrong?
I could of sworn we saw it burning!!!!!!! It wasnt BBQ either!!
No sir we had them the Sunday before last.... Great F*** ing burgers

Mr.Havasu
08-23-2004, 05:43 PM
What a pile of SHIT.
We need to find out who is complaining and BOYCOTT Them and force them out of business
My guess would be that real nice jeff guy at the marina :hammer2:

goeasy8
08-23-2004, 05:55 PM
Now they want to get these people off the lake that are just trying to make a living. Before that it was the noise and exhaust fumes, whats next. It sounds too me like they are trying to cut down there tourism (to crowded and too loud) so they start cracking down on these things and what ever else they can think of they will piss people off enough so they go somewhere else. This is just my opinion but I could be wrong :hammer2:

BajaMike
08-23-2004, 07:31 PM
I love those Billy Burgers.....!!!!!! ;)

moneypit
08-23-2004, 08:25 PM
Havasu city has to come to grips that it has nothing to do with safety.. No wake zone??? It's again, all about money. The right thing would be to regulate and permit the vendors. I dont want to see countless vendors out there, but it would be nice to have a few issued permits. Wheather they lottery the permits or whatever.
I think these guys are convenient.. and nice people as well. Billy Burger sells a good burger. I waited for my order one day for about 20 minutes. He doubled my order for free. Cool guy.
If anything, it decreases the traffic in the channel. Especially when you cant find a place to park your boat to walk up to get something. Havasu wants to get the lake back down to size it sems, but they still want to make the loads of money they do when everyone comes to town. There problems lies within the fact that they have a knee jerk reaction. Instead of forseeing a problem and stop it before it happens, they wait to see someone start a business and pull it out from them...
They have boat builders that have helped build there town that sells legal boat equipment, but when someone sticks an exhaust system on their boat, its illegal.. amazing government.

johnsonmarine
08-23-2004, 08:27 PM
oh no not the burgers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHOCKWAVETOM
08-23-2004, 09:58 PM
I love those Billy Burgers.....!!!!!! ;)
Hey Mike....Missed you at Dam Run II...should have been there!
I agree....they taste very good while on the lake. Shame if they go.

Essex502
08-24-2004, 06:51 AM
Havasu city has to come to grips that it has nothing to do with safety.. No wake zone??? It's again, all about money. The right thing would be to regulate and permit the vendors. I dont want to see countless vendors out there, but it would be nice to have a few issued permits. Wheather they lottery the permits or whatever.
I think these guys are convenient.. and nice people as well. Billy Burger sells a good burger. I waited for my order one day for about 20 minutes. He doubled my order for free. Cool guy.
If anything, it decreases the traffic in the channel. Especially when you cant find a place to park your boat to walk up to get something. Havasu wants to get the lake back down to size it sems, but they still want to make the loads of money they do when everyone comes to town. There problems lies within the fact that they have a knee jerk reaction. Instead of forseeing a problem and stop it before it happens, they wait to see someone start a business and pull it out from them...
They have boat builders that have helped build there town that sells legal boat equipment, but when someone sticks an exhaust system on their boat, its illegal.. amazing government.
If I read the article correctly, the city doesn't have the authority to regulate or issue permits for the floating or anchored/beached vendors. The BLM doesn't seem interested in issues permits for these businesses.

Seadog
08-24-2004, 10:46 AM
The way the article reads, the only reason these businesses were not run off before, is that nobody complained. Since Havasu City has no control over them, they are going to complain to the LEOs and make them close them down. It happens in a lot of cities with hot dog vendors. At some point, the vendors get shutdown because they cannot meet the health code which was made with permanent businesses in mind. OKC is attacking a bunch of mobile BBQ and taco stands.

Ziggy
08-24-2004, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrtoy
What a pile of SHIT.
My guess would be that real nice jeff guy at the marina (posted by Warlock25)
My thought exactly---he's got LE inside connections right? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :idea: Glad I have not spent more than $10 at that place in the last 10 yrs---9 yrs ago was the last time.