PDA

View Full Version : Why does the front end make noise?

Budget Baller
08-23-2004, 02:21 PM
22" wheels on a 2004 Chevy Suburban. Front end makes a creaking sound every time I turn. Anyone know what I need to do to make this noise go away? Thanks.
PS - Classic Chevrolet in Anahiem said, "Just put your stock wheels back on and the sound will go away". What a dip shit!

Sleek-Jet
08-23-2004, 02:25 PM
22" wheels on a 2004 Chevy Suburban. Front end makes a creaking sound every time I turn. Anyone know what I need to do to make this noise go away? Thanks.
PS - Classic Chevrolet in Anahiem said, "Just put your stock wheels back on and the sound will go away". What a dip shit!
Any time you turn the wheel, or just when you make sharper turns, like in a parking lot, or pulling out on the street??
4 wheel drive or 2 wheel drive??

Budget Baller
08-23-2004, 02:39 PM
It started out when it was just a sharp turn, but now it has 10K miles on it, and it is pretty much any turn you make, you can hear it creaking, so it seems to be getting worse. It is very noticeable when you are pulling in or out of a parking space and the driveway.

100mbs
08-23-2004, 03:13 PM
I would check the steering stops. Sometimes they have poly stops that maybe have fallen off or worn out. It might be rubbing metal to metal.
Turn the wheels all the way in oen direction and then look underneath to see what is rubbing. if it is metal that is rubbing smear some grease on it and then do the same to the other side and see if the noise goes away.

Budget Baller
08-23-2004, 04:02 PM
I will try it, thanks. Will report the progress tomorrow.

100mbs
08-23-2004, 05:57 PM
Cool! let me know.

Kachina26
08-23-2004, 06:00 PM
When you put different offset wheels on the truck, you change the geometry of the front end and the way it handles the weight. That being said, there is probably more than one lazy lube guy out there that hasn't lubed the front end the way it is supposed to be. Have someone lube the balljoints, watch them if you have to. Then go out and work the front end a bit. I have "fixed" more than one of these just by doing a little maintenance :D
If all else fails you may want to try putting the stockers on there (if you have them) just to be sure it's not a wheel issue. But I bet the lube job fixes it. :hammer2:

Mandelon
08-23-2004, 07:06 PM
I heard that if the wheels are too wide it puts more, or changes the angle of, the pressure on the ball joints and can F them up........... :eek:

Jrocket
08-23-2004, 07:24 PM
Torsion bars squeeking?

Lightning
08-24-2004, 08:50 AM
There is a total of about 11 fitings under the truck that need to be greased. They do not always come fully lubed from the factory. Here is some info from a truck site that I hang on ocassionally.
"Make sure you lubed all 11 grease points. Particularly the two Idler arms and the Pittman arm they are hard to see and harder to get the grease fitting on. The Pitman arm is high and in cramped space and it also has the AC hose in the way. I am going to get a 90 degree fitting for the next time. The first time I lubed, I found that the factory had hardly put any grease in most of the fittings. There was a lot on the outside though... They must have not gotten the fitting on right when they greased it.
The 11 fittings:
2 - Upper ball joints
2 - Lower ball joints
2 - Outer tie rod ends
2 - Inner tie rod ends
2 - Idler arm (one on top and one on the ball joint)
1 - Pittman arm
It is easy to miss the Pitman arm and the two on the idler arm assemblies. Their tucked up high and hard to see."

ROZ
08-24-2004, 09:06 AM
Get a bigger stereo system and run your volume at 30 all the time. The frontend niose will just... dissappear :D

Budget Baller
08-24-2004, 02:15 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I will get the front end jacked up this weekend, and look for anything that does not look right. Will also get it lubed properly and see if that helps.
Called a wheel supplier who is very large in Anahiem right off the 91 freeway and they said I probably needed to have the "crossmember elongated".
Anyone ever hear of this?

Prop Rod
08-24-2004, 04:36 PM
I got the same thing, 04 GMC YukonXL on 20's i only have 2500 miles. Let me know what they say about the crossmember. Seems a little weird!

Mandelon
08-24-2004, 07:52 PM
I would not let any guys elongate my crossmember....... :sqeyes: :lightsabe :boxingguy :messedup:

ao/al2
08-24-2004, 08:31 PM
I use to think it was because I had lowered my sub. I have noticed that even stock subs do the same thing. I had greased everything down there and still hasnt gone away, so it isnt because the wheels (offset). Hope you guys find out what it is and if I do you guys will be the first to know.

Kachina26
08-25-2004, 05:44 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I will get the front end jacked up this weekend, and look for anything that does not look right. Will also get it lubed properly and see if that helps.
Called a wheel supplier who is very large in Anahiem right off the 91 freeway and they said I probably needed to have the "crossmember elongated".
Anyone ever hear of this?
No, I haven't. But I work with stock ones. The wheels haven't changed the alignment, only the way the weight is carried by the BJ's. So I don't see the sense in that. We have had issues of body bolts rubbing on the body or being slightly loose, but that's another story. Just lube the front end and we'll go from there.

Kachina26
08-26-2004, 09:51 AM
I stand corrected...............
I am putting this up since it is a published bulletin and available to those with access to such things. Go back to the same dealer or even another if they won't correct it and give them this bulletin.
Snap/Popping Type Noise Coming From Front of Vehicle (Remove Front Crossmember and Slot Mounting Holes) #03-08-61-002B - (May 20, 2004)
Snap/Popping Type Noise Coming from Front of Vehicle (Remove Front Crossmember and Slot Mounting Holes)
2003-2005 Cadillac Escalade
2003-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
2004-2005 Chevrolet Silverado with Recirculating Ball Type Steering
2003-2005 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
2004-2005 GMC Sierra with Recirculating Ball Type Steering
All 1500 Series (½ Ton) with Two-Wheel Drive
This bulletin is being revised to add models and update the correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-61-002A (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).
Condition
Some customers may comment on a snap or popping-type noise coming from the front of the vehicle. This condition is most apparent during hard left or right turns at low speeds. Going over bumps while turning may also aid in producing this noise.
Correction
Slot the left side mounting holes on the front crossmember using the procedure listed below.
1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in the General Information sub-section of the Service Manual.
2. Remove the mounting nuts, bolts and front crossmember from the vehicle.
3. Clean all the undercoating off the crossmember in the area of the left side mounting holes.
Notice
Use a die grinder or file to cut slots. DO NOT use a torch. Using a torch may compromise the structural integrity of the vehicle.
4. Enlarge the mounting holes on the left side of the crossmember into slots. Cut the slots to the inboard side (toward center of crossmember) of the holes, 2 mm (0.07874 in).
5. Reinstall the crossmember with the bolts and nuts.
Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 120 N·m (89 lb ft).
6. Apply an even coat of Anti-Corrosion Coating, P/N 12346501, or equivalent to the crossmember where removed. Overlap the original coating in order to provide an effective corrosion protection.

Prop Rod
08-26-2004, 11:25 AM
are you saying what i think your saying?
This is somthing the dealer should fix?

Budget Baller
08-26-2004, 11:39 AM
Kachina-
Thanks for the information. Is this something that should be covered under warranty even though I put the 22" wheels on? If I have to pay for this, any idea, how much we are loooking at?

Kachina26
08-26-2004, 12:27 PM
If you are in warranty it should be covered. If your dealer gives you crap, then it would be easier to just go to a different dealer. Pick one that sells trucks already fixed up, they tend to be more forgiving with this stuff. No, wheels propably won't void your warranty unless they can PROVE that it caused the problem. If you want to pay to have this done, warranty pays us .5 hours labor so you would expect to pay 1.0 labor. I would make them fix it. It is not likely caused by the wheels. Anyway, this is a bulletin to help us diagnose problems. This may not be the cause of your woes. If you do have bad ball joints (I doubt it) I would expect them NOT to cover it because of your wheels. Anyway go see what happens.

Kilrtoy
08-26-2004, 09:30 PM
Its got a warranty RICH, take it to the dealer.
The mustang was doing the same thing, some stuff was loose in the steering and they tightened it up and the noise is gonna...

Jordy
08-26-2004, 09:39 PM
You could always just slap a set of stockers on and roll in that way. ;)

Budget Baller
08-27-2004, 07:16 AM
So here is the latest. I went to the Chevy dealer this morning, and told them what the issue was. I let them drive it so they could hear the noise. They said I could leave it, and they would try to figure it out. So I pulled the info that Kachina posted out of my pocket, and said, here is what you need to do to fix it. They were like, duh. So, next Wednesday I have an appointment to drop it off, and hopefully it will be fixed. They did say it will be warranty work.
I will keep you updated.

goneboatin
08-27-2004, 03:53 PM
I've got an '04 2500 crew that made the cracking and snaping noise, I took it to Chevy and they knew right away - elongate the crossmember. Works great now. They even replaced the exhaust system from the cats to the tailpipe because the muffler would go "bong!" as it cooled down. That was great and quiet for one day now when it cools down it sounds like someone's hitting the exhaust with a hammer. There's a bulletin that says GM's working on the problem -- do not replace the exhaust system. That pisses me off 'cause I lost my chrome tip.

Kilrtoy
08-27-2004, 09:54 PM
What they are gonna keep it and replace it with a FORD. Only solution I see

Jordy
08-27-2004, 11:16 PM
Yeah, and then a couple months later you'll wish front end noise was all you had. :D :D :D

goneboatin
08-28-2004, 06:48 AM
I had a Ford once, that's why I drive a Chevy.

Lightning
08-28-2004, 09:01 AM
EXACTLY!!!!

Budget Baller
09-07-2004, 02:11 PM
UPDATE
Kachina26 is the man! The Chevy dealer fixed my front end on the Suburban based on the service bulletin that was posted. No more noise. All covered under warranty.
Thanks

Jrocket
09-08-2004, 02:11 PM
Ahh thats too bad,I have both.

Budget Baller
09-08-2004, 02:39 PM
JRocket-
I am confused....How did you decide to buy the "Worlds Best" for the water and then actually buy a ford? Don't you get a rash when your in that thing?
Rich - Just messing with you....but mostly for Kilrtoy to see

charlyox
09-10-2004, 01:05 PM
I've got an "03 Avalanche and it does the same thing.So does my neighbors Tahoe

Kachina26
09-10-2004, 01:45 PM
UPDATE
Kachina26 is the man! The Chevy dealer fixed my front end on the Suburban based on the service bulletin that was posted. No more noise. All covered under warranty.
Thanks
Glad to hear it! Don't forget some positive rep points since you can't give me a good CSI. :D

Jrocket
09-11-2004, 10:08 PM
JRocket-
I am confused....How did you decide to buy the "Worlds Best" for the water and then actually buy a ford? Don't you get a rash when your in that thing?
Rich - Just messing with you....but mostly for Kilrtoy to see
Brand names dont bother me.I get good deals on vehicles and service from both companys,just like the straight axle on the Fords better is all.Right now Im getting ready to try some bigger injectors,computer and turbo on the truck.Should be soon.
BTW,Dave gave me a towel for the seat to keep the rash down from the high price tag of the boat.Thanks for the concern though.