PDA

View Full Version : Ultra in Havazoo

voodoomedman
08-23-2004, 07:45 PM
Had my 24 Stealth out on Havasu this weekend for the first time. Other trips were on Mohave. That boat eats chop for breakfast. Saturday is a complete zoo on Havasu but the boat cuts right through it like a hot knife through warm butter. Saw Bank Boy in his bitchin 24 Stealth too. Wow that lake is crazy. Has a bunch of upsides there though. Can't wait til the condo is finished being built.
On a side note. Does anyone know where you can buy gas in Havasu without that crappy ethanol in it. I don't want it to hurt my engine. I also swear I run slower than on mojave when the gas is bought without ethanol in bullhead. I still have some gas left and will be on Mojave next weekend. I'll run that gas and see if my top end speed is still slower.

Mandelon
08-23-2004, 07:47 PM
Post some pics of that Ultra...... ;)

voodoomedman
08-23-2004, 08:03 PM
No gel splashin now!!!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5238

Mandelon
08-23-2004, 09:43 PM
I talked with John about building us a Stealth 24, and I was pretty close to going for it, when this Lavey came up and it fit our needs just right, or else we'd have probably bought one too.

jbtrailerjim
08-24-2004, 05:00 AM
No gel splashin now!!!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5238
Nice lookin Ultra. :cool:

Essex502
08-24-2004, 06:24 AM
Had my 24 Stealth out on Havasu this weekend for the first time. Other trips were on Mohave. That boat eats chop for breakfast. Saturday is a complete zoo on Havasu but the boat cuts right through it like a hot knife through warm butter. Saw Bank Boy in his bitchin 24 Stealth too. Wow that lake is crazy. Has a bunch of upsides there though. Can't wait til the condo is finished being built.
On a side note. Does anyone know where you can buy gas in Havasu without that crappy ethanol in it. I don't want it to hurt my engine. I also swear I run slower than on mojave when the gas is bought without ethanol in bullhead. I still have some gas left and will be on Mojave next weekend. I'll run that gas and see if my top end speed is still slower.
I've been told by those that seem to know...buy your gas at the Chevron station right at before the bridge. Prolly (sp) still has ethanol but it is also prolly the "freshest" gas around those parts with the volume they do.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-24-2004, 07:41 AM
I've been told by those that seem to know...buy your gas at the Chevron station right at before the bridge. Prolly (sp) still has ethanol but it is also prolly the "freshest" gas around those parts with the volume they do.
And we buy our gas @ the Unocal off of the 95 at the corner of Swanson and Smoketree and ahve never had a problem with it and we run a 525.

Captain Dan
08-24-2004, 03:59 PM
Voodoomedman - I also bought a 2004 24 Stealth - great boat. Did you get the HO? What top speed have you been able to reach?

voodoomedman
08-24-2004, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the gas tips. I'll see what speed I hit in Mojave this weekend with the same gas. I just worry about corrosion over the years with the ethanol. Maybe I'm reading the manual too much. I know it can run on 87 as well but I always put 91. to me an extra 10-15 bucks each weekend is worth it for piece of mind.
Captain Dan. I put a 496 Mag. No HO. They told me the Mag was fine and the HO wouldn't give that much difference. I also didn't like the big price jump. It was hard enough squeezing the 296 Mag and the killer stereo upgrade out of my wife. No way could I have justified the HO. Anyways I have been about 68-69-70 needle bounce at WOT on mojave. Keep in mind that is with 6 adults (3 being big guys) and all the gear and coolers with beer and food and 80 gallons of gas... Mike said he got it running 75 when he lake tested it. Of course 1 guy no gear minimum gas. I got a lighter hull. good weather when they laid it up I guess.

voodoomedman
08-24-2004, 04:38 PM
jbtrailerjim---thanks for the compliment. I like your boat too.
Mandelon---Too bad you didn't buy a Stealth. j/k Lavey sure does build some fine boats.

phebus
08-24-2004, 08:02 PM
I stick with the 87 octane with my 496HO. When I run higher octane gas, the transom really soots up. I have had no adverse effects with the 87 such as pinging or heating up.

voodoomedman
08-24-2004, 08:08 PM
Yeah my transom has been black when I pull it out but it is still under 30 hours. Has gotten better and better from the first time out.

Kilrtoy
08-24-2004, 08:43 PM
Nice looking boat,
SAVE YOUR MONEY
it is fine with the 87 octaine......

jbtrailerjim
08-24-2004, 09:00 PM
I have the 496 Mag in mine and have run only 87 octane in it and have had no problems at all. I have not had any problems with the black soot build up on the back either. I get a little bit but nothing bad. I usually fill the boat up at Terrible Herbst, Chevron, or Mobil.

THOR
08-25-2004, 06:56 AM
87 is just fine. The newer motors that are computer controlled will automatically set the timing relative to the grade of gas. So, it doesnt matter if you are running 87, 89, or 92. It will run the same.

phebus
08-25-2004, 08:22 AM
You will actually have more power using the 87 octane gas since that what the motor is designed to run on. The higher octane fuels burn with a slower flame front to prevent pre-ignition in higher compression/more ign. advance applications.

RiverDave
08-25-2004, 08:55 AM
You will actually have more power using the 87 octane gas since that what the motor is designed to run on. The higher octane fuels burn with a slower flame front to prevent pre-ignition in higher compression/more ign. advance applications.
Somebody give this man a snickers bar. Finally someone that doesn't fall for the 92 = more power then 87 routine. The lowest possible octane before detonation is where the most HP is made. I watch guys all the time in Parker pump 4.00 per gallon race fuel into bone stock merc packages becuase they think it's going to make their boat faster. Some of them swear by it.. I'm thinking for 4.00 bucks a gallon, they must really want to believe it.. You should see how offened one gets when you tell him that he's pissing money in the wind. :( I mind my own business now.. ;)
RD

Havasu_Dreamin
08-25-2004, 08:59 AM
We always use 87 as that is what Merc says to use.

jbtrailerjim
08-25-2004, 09:32 AM
Somebody give this man a snickers bar. Finally someone that doesn't fall for the 92 = more power then 87 routine. The lowest possible octane before detonation is where the most HP is made. I watch guys all the time in Parker pump 4.00 per gallon race fuel into bone stock merc packages becuase they think it's going to make their boat faster. Some of them swear by it.. I'm thinking for 4.00 bucks a gallon, they must really want to believe it.. You should see how offened one gets when you tell him that he's pissing money in the wind. :( I mind my own business now.. ;)
RD
I get a kick also out of those people too. My father-in-law is one of those people who swears his vehicles run better on super unleaded(even in his V10 Dodge truck). :jawdrop: I've told him it's a waste money and if your owners manual say's it's ok to run 87 octane, it will run fine on it. I don't think he appreciated my opinion.
When I first started dating my wife I noticed she would alway's run super unleaded in her car. I finally asked her why the hell she ran super in her car and she said, Oh my dad has alway's told me too. He's sais it's better for the engine. :rolleyes:

voodoomedman
08-26-2004, 04:56 PM
just being a little too cautious I guess. After reading the manual it does say 87. It does say avoid ethanol if you can though. I know racing fuel would just be stupid. Besides the octane being a complete waste, racing fuel has lead in it which I am sure isn't good for your stock Merc.

77charger
08-26-2004, 08:33 PM
I agree with rd on the gas issue :idea: .I know people who swear they go faster with 91 and feel a power difference with stock vehichles.(that are not hi performance trucks either)But its a mind thing they put better gas so they think they make power.As for slowing down in top speeds was it a hot day.Heat,altitude and humidity will kill hp easily cold dense air is the best for big numbers.Try your boat on a cold day sometime there is a noticable difference.I know on my eliminator on a normal day i can do 59-60 but in the summer river heat lucky to hit 56.

voodoomedman
08-26-2004, 10:05 PM
I know the heat and stuff makes a difference but Mojave is only 45 minutes away. Pretty much the same temp. I will use 87 now I wasn't worried about speed with it just predetonation which will kill the engine. What are those like 20k. I could go buy to freakin hyundai's for that. I was wondering if the alcohol in the gas did something to the speed. Maybe I didn't fully hit it. I let my father in law drive and he says he had it going faster than I did. Oh well we will see what's up on Saturday. Yes that will be me blowing across the early morning glass on Mojave. Hope everbody else has a safe boating weekend.