PDA

View Full Version : Trident Boats Advertising...

NOCTURNAL
08-23-2004, 10:06 PM
This may be old news, but I was looking closely at the Trident Custom Boats ad in the August issue of Powerboat and the guy in the bow of the boat is throwing the shocker. Nice nod to the ***boat folks. :D :D

RiverToysJas
08-24-2004, 01:02 AM
Not only that, those ARE Hot Boat folks, OP6ers mainly. ;)
RTJas :D

HighRoller
08-24-2004, 08:49 AM
What were they advertising? I thought the first Trident was still in pre-testing mode?

ROZ
08-24-2004, 08:56 AM
Someone scan and post it...

HCS
08-24-2004, 09:03 AM
What were they advertising? I thought the first Trident was still in pre-testing mode?
Must be a photo chop. :squiggle:

Froggystyle
08-24-2004, 09:50 AM
This may be old news, but I was looking closely at the Trident Custom Boats ad in the August issue of Powerboat and the guy in the bow of the boat is throwing the shocker. Nice nod to the ***boat folks. :D :D
Damn straight... Powerboat or not, I know where Trident's roots are ;)
Jas, you figure out which one is you yet?
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/trident_ad_small.jpg

Sleek-Jet
08-24-2004, 10:03 AM
So who is it throwing the Shocker.
That add looks oustanding Froggy... very well done.

Outnumbered
08-24-2004, 10:59 AM
So who is it throwing the Shocker.
That add looks oustanding Froggy... very well done.
Someone said it was Slick.
OL

Slick
08-24-2004, 11:52 AM
Nah, that's not me. I think I'm the skinny guy facing away from the pic behind whoever is throwing signs

Froggystyle
08-24-2004, 12:07 PM
Someone said it was Slick.
OL
Not Slick. That guy was someone who tied up next to us from a wakeboard boat because the four chicks with him wanted to come party. He was a glowstick kind of guy.

HCS
08-24-2004, 12:56 PM
A glowstick guy! :eek: That sounds flammin. :rolleyes:

welk2party
08-24-2004, 01:17 PM
That is a sweet ad. :)

Froggystyle
08-24-2004, 01:19 PM
A glowstick guy! :eek: That sounds flammin. :rolleyes:
Not really. Just really into the music. He was having his own good time...

HCS
08-24-2004, 01:23 PM
That is a sweet ad. :)
definitly looks cool. The neon affect on the water is space age. :cool:

riverrunner
08-24-2004, 01:37 PM
Leave it to Wes to come up with the sickest ad ever done by a boat manufacturer. If this is how his ad looks, I can't wait to see the boat.
Wes, what's the deal? How's the boat coming along? I know the molds have been pulled for a while now, when are we going to see the first one?

Sleek-Jet
08-24-2004, 01:40 PM
Not Slick. That guy was someone who tied up next to us from a wakeboard boat because the four chicks with him wanted to come party. He was a glowstick kind of guy.
So, the only guy on the boat that was throwin' the shocker is not a board member??? :devil:

Froggystyle
08-24-2004, 02:13 PM
Leave it to Wes to come up with the sickest ad ever done by a boat manufacturer. If this is how his ad looks, I can't wait to see the boat.
Wes, what's the deal? How's the boat coming along? I know the molds have been pulled for a while now, when are we going to see the first one?
Thanks for the vote of confidence.
The boat is grinding along. As for progress, I can only offer an analogy...
Imagine you decide to make T-shirts for a living. You want really nice T-shirts, and the whole industry considers a Hanes "Beefy-T" to be the very best. You find out about a company who is using some killer fabrics in a completely different application that would be absolutely amazing for T-shirts, but nobody makes it in a form you can use. So, you arrange to have a textile firm make you your own proprietary fabric to be made for your startup T-shirt company.
That is pretty much where we are at. Currently, I have the best experts from Vectorply, Composites One, Airtech, SP Plastics, Corecell, ATI and Knight & Carver dialing in our materials list... all of which had to be manufactured especially for Trident and specifically for the Revolution. Long story short, the thickest, heaviest part of our entire laminate structure is going to be only 4 layers thick, and less than 1/4 the weight of ANY of the competitions lightest layups. Approximately 8 times stronger than the thickest of the layups as well.
Things aren't hard enough going out of our way to use the best materials either, so we decided to use a method of construction that has only been used to date in small parts because of development costs. It is a vacuum bagging process called "Resin Infusion" and when done properly, it yields a laminate to resin ratio that is 5-8 times the strength of identical materials using a wet-layup method.
So, we invented a fabric, and are pioneering a method of construction. Other than that... we are just another month late... ;)

Sleek-Jet
08-24-2004, 02:29 PM
Things aren't hard enough going out of our way to use the best materials either, so we decided to use a method of construction that has only been used to date in small parts because of development costs. It is a vacuum bagging process called "Resin Infusion" and when done properly, it yields a laminate to resin ratio that is 5-8 times the strength of identical materials using a wet-layup method.
So, we invented a fabric, and are pioneering a method of construction. Other than that... we are just another month late... ;)
Are you going to need bake the hulls or is this a room temperature curing process?

Desert Rat
08-24-2004, 02:46 PM
Wes
Sounds like you have it covered. But If you do need any advice on resin infusion these guys are experts. They helped save a B2 bomber that was about to be scrapped do to a very large hole in one wing (Don't ask). I've been to two classes with these guys and they are always willing to help.
Abaris (http://www.abaris.com/)
Buy the way VERY cool ad!!

phebus
08-24-2004, 03:17 PM
Wes, I know you want the very best product, but when does it reach overkill? When is strong strong enough, and light light enough? I applaud your efforts, and may be an owner someday (I have been following your project since you started posting about it, and I'm more impressed each day not only with your product, but with your business philosophy), but what will all this new technology do to costs?

ROZ
08-24-2004, 03:25 PM
Since you're now using a proprietary fabric, do you expect an small increase in the outright cost of the boat(like an additional 2% or so?) or was this already known when you made your B-plan?

MOBrien
08-24-2004, 04:02 PM
The all-important question....
Anyone know what these are gonna cost?
I know, I know.....if you have to ask. :sqeyes:

hoolign
08-24-2004, 04:12 PM
The all-important question....
Anyone know what these are gonna cost?
I know, I know.....if you have to ask. :sqeyes:
I do know us Canadians are going to get a hell of a deal, since the dollar is worth shit!
:)

Infomaniac
08-24-2004, 04:12 PM
The construction process will raise the bar for the boating industry. An all together new process for boat manufacturing. The others will eventually be forced to adopt the same process or be left behind in the dinosaur construction method class. Wes is the only one with enough guts to go for it.
Speaking for Infomaniac and not Trident below:
If you ask a boat manufacturer "WHY" they use the hull construction method that they use. And keep asking "WHY" at least five times, you probably will end up with the answer "That is always how it has been done" That is an unacceptable answer to someone thinking outside the box so to speak. If you take a room full of well experienced boat builders and give them the task of coming up with a revoultionary new boat hull design and construction method. Chances are that their "Paradigms" will prevent them from straying very far from what the current method is. They have changed cloth, resins and wood over the years but the basic process has remain virtually unchanged. The way to get revolutionary new construction ideas is to get a mix of talent together. In this case boat builders and innovative composite experts. The composite experts will not be blinded by the "Paradigms" that the boat builders have developed over the years.
This applies to any new invention or process improvement. You need a mix of individuals that have diverse thinking. And ask "Why" at least five times and see how the answers evolve.
The construction method will not effect the cost of the boat as much as you might think. The number of boats built will have a greater effect. That goes with any boat brand.

HighRoller
08-24-2004, 04:26 PM
Nicely said, INFO...now when can we expect some revolutionary powerplants from the MA engine factory/dyno room? :sqeyes: The same ol' blower thing is getting used up....

Infomaniac
08-24-2004, 04:36 PM
Very funny HighRoller ;)
Sorry but I do not own a foundry :idea:
I do have some out of the box ideas for engines.

HighRoller
08-24-2004, 04:43 PM
One of the freshest ideas I've seen was E-Ticket using Steve Schmidt engines in their deal. N/A 585, Pro Stock heads, single carb. 980HP and 825 ft/lbs torque on pump gas. 27K for that package, or 40K for an 800HP blower motor? I think I know which way I'd go....

ROZ
08-24-2004, 05:48 PM
The construction method will not effect the cost of the boat as much as you might think. The number of boats built will have a greater effect. That goes with any boat brand.
That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking if he knew that he was going to have the fabric made to spec from the beginning, or if he found out later that a fabric to his specs didn't exist and needed to have it manufactured to his specs. Seeing that the later may have not originally been added into th boat's cost, he either eats it or adds the difference to the cost of the final product.
Please don't misunderstand, my intentions are not to start "drama", but to understand what lengths Wes is going in to to make his dream of putting one of the finest products on the water happen.

Infomaniac
08-24-2004, 06:18 PM
My statement was in General Roz. No drama here. I misunderstand all the time.
Most of the time when I read a thread, I recall what was mentioned but not necessairily who said it.
That was a very good question you had. I don't think that making a new fabric was literal. The material they are using is the same as they intended on in the beginning. There is just some minor hold ups in that process.

ROZ
08-24-2004, 09:34 PM
I was going to say thanks for the info, Info, but it's more like thanks for the clarification. :) I was thinking it would take a lot of r and d in developing a specific weave of new materials to make the cloth needed.....Kevlar wasn't made in 9 months, ya know :D

UBFJ #454
08-25-2004, 05:32 AM
The "Resin Infusion" Process has been used for some time in the aerospace industry (Boeing's X-32 for one example) and Eliminator uses it in their newer OffShore Boat Hulls & Capsules (Their new 36 ft. OffShore Racer currently competing in South America).
"Inventing" a New Fabric is Very, Very Expensive and one would have to be able to literally use Miles of it for a supplier/manufacturer to justify producing it for a boat company ... Perhaps what he meant was they had come up with a New Composite LayUp Scheme (Layers of differing already manufactured fabrics) that results in the Spec.'s he stated here ...
In any case, I think it's about time that boat builders caught up with technology and produced what's possible at a reasonable price ... My hat's off to Trident for being among the first to go in that direction.

ROZ
08-25-2004, 06:43 AM
In any case, I think it's about time that boat builders caught up with technology and produced what's possible at a reasonable price ... My hat's off to Trident for being among the first to go in that direction.
I totally agree!!

wsuwrhr
08-25-2004, 07:04 AM
Nicely said, INFO...now when can we expect some revolutionary powerplants from the MA engine factory/dyno room? :sqeyes: The same ol' blower thing is getting used up....
HR,
When you start building patterns to cast a "revolutionary" engine, we'll see how far you get.
:p :messedup: :supp: :mix:
I am talking about casting a part that you can't measure because it doesn't exist.
After building a few patterns, my hat is off to anyone who has ever designed castings from scratch. All I did was measure an existing part, modify what I needed, and build patterns incorporating "shrink." Afterwords, I can imagine the headaches that went into building ANYTHING that wasn't done before.
I too have followed Wes's buildup of the product. I can't wait to see the final deal. I am not embarassed to say I tried to become a supplier for parts for his boats.
Brian

Froggystyle
08-25-2004, 11:27 AM
The "Resin Infusion" Process has been used for some time in the aerospace industry (Boeing's X-32 for one example) and Eliminator uses it in their newer OffShore Boat Hulls & Capsules (Their new 36 ft. OffShore Racer currently competing in South America).
Actually, Composites One and PMI had a big hand in the "infusion" of that boat, with little help from the manufacturer. Most of it was hand-laid, with a portion of the material and core being infused. They are NOT doing it in any form of production application whatsoever.
"Inventing" a New Fabric is Very, Very Expensive and one would have to be able to literally use Miles of it for a supplier/manufacturer to justify producing it for a boat company ... Perhaps what he meant was they had come up with a New Composite LayUp Scheme (Layers of differing already manufactured fabrics) that results in the Spec.'s he stated here ...
Actually, we are having Vectorply build us our own fabric design. It has a large number of 45 degree bias plys of uni-directional glass, a small number of 90 degree strands and a normal number of 0 degree strands. Vectorply is currently sewing this product together for us with a .3 oz veil mat for our proposed production run. This design was derived from our Trident Team composites expert, Alex Kozloff and the folks from Vectorply. It also incorporates small channels in the cloth for the resin infusion.
With regard to cost, fiberglass is sold by the pound for the most part. Although we have opted for exotic materials and the expensive production process of the custom cloth, we are only buying 1/4 of the material, as we weigh, on average 1/4 as much. The cost is absorbed immediately, and we make money on it after 5 boats.

Froggystyle
08-25-2004, 11:47 AM
Wes, I know you want the very best product, but when does it reach overkill? When is strong strong enough, and light light enough?
In all sincerity, it never is. Once it is, you get what you have in the industry today. Stagnation. If you don't find out what is possible, you will never know. If the entire industry keeps this mentality, you get what you have today, 1976 technology in 2005 boats. When Sea Ray is building hulls in a more advanced method than your custom boat builder... you have problems.
I applaud your efforts, and may be an owner someday (I have been following your project since you started posting about it, and I'm more impressed each day not only with your product, but with your business philosophy), but what will all this new technology do to costs?
It has dropped them a lot. The single best thing you can do towards reducing costs and gaining quality is establishing systems. The best time to establish a system is at the inception of the process. This way, the entire mentality of the process is reflected at every level. If you are obsessive about success at every level, and committed to that ideal, you must take every opportunity to improve the process. We have. It has cost us development money and time, and endless migranes figuring out the best way. Not just "a" way, but the best way. Lots of potential hangups engineered out from the inception. The end result is that you end up with tools designed to do the job properly, and a process that is designed for success.
As for retail on the Revolution. Great question. Without having a hard cost on labor for hull construction, I don't know for sure. I will know for sure in a couple of weeks when the first hull is built and pulled though.
Our projections show a total though. Those of you with knowledge of the boat know that it will deliver with a 950 hp motor detuned to about 650. It will come with the Whipple supercharger and intercooler, a MEFI 4 fuel injection system, Stainless headers and Stainless Bassani exhaust with mufflers. We have discussed the layup in broad strokes, but it should come in with a bare hull weight (27 foot deckboat keep in mind) of around 1700# or less. Rigged weight with 5 batteries and full complement of gear (anchor, etc... ) will be just under 4000#. it will come standard with the Dual Drive jet, Auto Meter gauges, Livorsi offshore controls, a competition audio/video system with 4) 12" woofers, 8 sets of components and two amps for 2800 watts, DVD player and screen, Kenwood Music Keg and Sirius satellite radio, an Extreme triple axle trailer and all of the bells and whistles to numerous to name (drop me an e-mail and I will send you the spec sheet with ALL of the info at wes@tridentboats.com) and will only sell through dealers. Retail should be right around $140K.
12 are already accounted for, with colors picked for 8. You know some of them... ;)

Froggystyle
08-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Wow... that pretty much stopped all conversation...
Is this thing on????

ROZ
08-26-2004, 11:09 AM
Wow... that pretty much stopped all conversation...
Is this thing on????
Maybe you shouldn't have answered all our questions so well :D

spectratoad
08-26-2004, 11:22 AM
Alright there I got it all written down, now I am going to build my own boat.
No it is great to see so much thought put into a project. Have followed your progress either by way of these threads or your website and it's good to see such pride taken in a product. Sounds like you also have yourself surrounded by a wealth of knowledge and experience. Like I have said before. Once you get things up and going it sounds like it may be around the time the wife and I are looking for a new boat. We will see.

Keith E. Sayre
08-26-2004, 06:17 PM
A very successful businessman friend of mine always told me that competition
is the best thing in any business. I agree. I take my hat off to Wes and his
people. Struggling and striving to do everything (as Wes put it) the right
way! Good Luck and keep on it, it'll be worth it and as several have already
stated, the Trident boat should raise everyone's eyesight a notch or two
and ultimately, I believe that we (including the consumers) will all win as a
result of Wes's extraordinary efforts and accomplishments. Good Luck Sir!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

Froggystyle
08-27-2004, 09:32 AM
A very successful businessman friend of mine always told me that competition
is the best thing in any business. I agree. I take my hat off to Wes and his
people. Struggling and striving to do everything (as Wes put it) the right
way! Good Luck and keep on it, it'll be worth it and as several have already
stated, the Trident boat should raise everyone's eyesight a notch or two
and ultimately, I believe that we (including the consumers) will all win as a
result of Wes's extraordinary efforts and accomplishments. Good Luck Sir!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Thanks Keith! Coming from you, that means worlds.
This will be a good thing for everyone. At the very least, it will be like the old joke about why did the chicken cross the road?
To prove to the possum that it can be done... ;)
Cheers everyone.