PDA

View Full Version : Stainless vs. Steel props. Calling all experts.

dmontzsta
08-24-2004, 06:42 AM
Lately I have been learning ALOT about props and wanting to learn all I can. In my dealings I have found that alot of people have different opinions about the two kinds of props. I wanted to start a thread to see if I could put this out in the open and get some pros to step in and maybe we can really find out just which is better and why? Stainless looks nice, but is it really much weaker than steel? I tried to search but couldnt come up with answers I understand, maybe some of you metal and prop experts can bring some discussion here.
Thanks.

v-drive
08-24-2004, 07:23 AM
I want to hear this to..... :wink: v-drive

Wildboats
08-24-2004, 07:30 AM
I would like to learn too, also how do you check your prop for cracks or week spots. I would sure hate to loose an ear.

Sleek-Jet
08-24-2004, 07:36 AM
I would like to learn too, also how do you check your prop for cracks or week spots. I would sure hate to loose an ear.
Have it magnafluxed??

Kindsvater Flat
08-24-2004, 08:06 AM
x-ray...... prop, strut, and rudder.

WHITIE
08-24-2004, 08:29 AM
We check our props with a red dye and a developer..
What we do is spray on the red dye on the prop and let it set for 10 minutes so if there is a crack it will find it and fill it up,, then wipe it off and spray on the white developer till it dries (few minutes)and if there is a crack the red dye will bleed through the white developer. Go to any welding shop and tell them what you are trying to do is check for cracks on a prop .. Welding shops have the same stuff for checking for cracks on welds..

dmontzsta
08-24-2004, 08:37 AM
Great info.
Do you know about the two different metals?

Stab-n-Steer
08-24-2004, 09:02 AM
4140 has apporximately twice the yield strentgh of an 18-8 (300 series.)Stainless Steel. 4140 is the only way to go on any boat with some horsepower...
S&S

Wildboats
08-24-2004, 09:23 AM
Thanks, I will do that. do I check the rudder and strut the same way ?
Sorry.... I hope I did not hijack your thred Dmontzsta.
I also have heard chrome on these parts is not a good idea. Could hide cracks ?

Cowboy Bob
08-24-2004, 09:28 AM
NEVER Chrome any of the underwater gear!
It has nothing to do with hiding cracks, but Chroming causes "Hydrogen Embrittlement" due to the Chroming process.
It you do not want to WD-40 everything when you pull the Boat out, I would suggest Electroless Nickle plating to keep things from rusting.
If you do have to repair a crack, you will wish that you never plated it at all, since ALL plating would need to be removed prior to a weld repair to avoid material contamination.
If I remember correctly IHBA will not even let you run with a Chromed Rudder, Strut or Prop!

VD CRUISER
08-24-2004, 09:50 AM
No expert here, but my own experience with stainless props hasn't been too good, reliability wise. They have performed well, but I have thrown a blade off 2 of the three blades. I may have had bad castings, I don't know. Some people have said they used them on ski race boats with success. I have a SS 2 blade that performs well also, but I'm a little leary about using it anymore on my blown cruiser. I now have 2 steel three blades and a steel two blade. So far I haven't gotten a steel three blade that performs as well as my stainless three blade, but its close. By the way the SS props have all had a cupped edge, I wonder why they don't put the cup on the steel props? :confused:

v-drive
08-24-2004, 10:02 AM
I am actually surprised at this because I would have thought the flex strength in the stainless would have surpassed that of the 4140.
Live and learn....... :D v-drive

WHITIE
08-25-2004, 07:00 AM
Great info.
Do you know about the two different metals?
Dont know alot about the 2 different materials (stainless to metal) but I do know about 4130 and a 4340 prop (both are metal). Ron and Joey Grose are making a forged prop that is the safest thing going right know because there is no welded ears. Just my .02 cents

v-drive
08-25-2004, 04:45 PM
Dont know alot about the 2 different materials (stainless to metal) but I do know about 4130 and a 4340 prop (both are metal). Ron and Joey Grose are making a forged prop that is the safest thing going right know because there is no welded ears. Just my .02 cents
Aren't most props solid forgings? I know there is some people experimenting with welded props but aren't they just that? I don't know i'm just trying to get an education here. I did just get my old prop back from Chad Hill but I have to wait until labor day weekend to try it out. :D v-drive

dmontzsta
08-25-2004, 05:11 PM
I thought there would be much more people giving info, since I have heard different opinions, but no kind of solid proof. I know a guy running a 800+hp blown bbc with a ss prop and he has had no problems, but then I have talked to someone that said they werent good for anything over 450hp.
SS props look bad ass, since they dont rust. But I dont want to run one if it is unsafe or doesnt perform up to par.

VD CRUISER
08-25-2004, 06:21 PM
V-drive, Most steel props have the blades welded to a hub.The hubs may be forged. The stainless steel props are cast. There are a few people making CNC props from a solid billet steel, and WHITIE on this thread says Ron and Joey Grose are making forged ones.
WHITIE, do you know how to get in touch Ron and Joey ?

FlatStupid
08-25-2004, 06:33 PM
V-drive, Most steel props have the blades welded to a hub.The hubs may be forged. The stainless steel props are cast. There are a few people making CNC props from a solid billet steel, and WHITIE on this thread says Ron and Joey Grose are making forged ones.
WHITIE, do you know how to get in touch Ron and Joey ?This should get ya started!(209)368-2571 or www.rgracing.com :rollside:

dmontzsta
08-25-2004, 07:22 PM
wouldnt a welded prop be weaker than a cast?

FlatStupid
08-25-2004, 07:25 PM
wouldnt a welded prop be weaker than a cast?
That FE ain't gonna hurt either one! :hammerhea

dmontzsta
08-25-2004, 07:26 PM
That FE ain't gonna hurt either one! :hammerhea
You are right, but I still want to hit 40mph no matter what it takes.

v-drive
08-25-2004, 07:53 PM
Thankyou VD C..............v-drive :cool:

cracker
08-26-2004, 01:19 PM
I think Harolds props are welded, when ours rust you can see the rust line on each blade.

v-drive
08-26-2004, 04:09 PM
The welded props don't excite me but the ones being machined would be interesting. my olds will not ever deliver so much horsepower that I would consider one of those. But I will consider a 17-4 stainless though.
v-drive :D

Nstigator74
08-26-2004, 04:27 PM
If you go to the dragboat races you'll see all the eliminator classes on up are running steel props. Most of those are 3 piece construction( 2 ears welded to a center hub) None of it is cast. Like Whitie said Joey Grose and several others are making CNC props out of 1 piece of metal. The benefit is no welding(heat)=stronger and 1 piece of metal= stronger. These props KICK ASS. The only downfall is price. Conventional welded prop $750, CNC billet prop $1200-$1400 (shiver).
Just my .02

dmontzsta
08-26-2004, 05:12 PM
Or a sweet River Racers Special prop from www.rbprops.com $450.