PDA

View Full Version : LA Times article on Havasu

THOR
08-24-2004, 07:07 AM
Anyone see the article this morning in the outdoor section talking about teens getting drunk and naked in Havasu. But, it was okay because that is the place to do all that stuff. On the front page, there is a shot of a driver of a Nordic holding a coors light while going down river. Nice.
When did RD get invited to do the shoot?
Here it is:
SCENE
The capital of cutting loose
No wallflowers allowed at the floating mosh pit on Lake Havasu, where both the underage and overage leave their inhibitions on shore.
By Bonnie Obremski, Times Staff Writer
Steve "Stevo" Behney dumps a bag of ice over a cooler of cold ones, hops behind the wheel and opens the throttle. The boat thrusts to lip-curling speed, but Stevo puts a foot up on the dash and cracks open a Coors.
As the proprietor of Stevo's Beach, Boat and Party Wear here for 18 years, he supplies thongs and beverage bongs to mostly underage revelers who hang out on their daddies' powerboats along the shoreline. On this mid-July weekend, he decides to play hooky and give two newcomers a tour of the party scene.
Boaters swarm the man-made bulge in the dammed Colorado River that divides California and Arizona. Captains and crew on floats next to their boats marinate in a swill of river water, sweat and motor oil. Their chins and beer cans hover above the surface, baking in triple-digit heat.
"That's what you call getting a Havasu tan," says Stevo as he reaches to pump up a Nelly CD on the 23-foot Nordic's surround sound. "These people are even more into it than I am."
In the last 30 years, Lake Havasu City has shot from population 1 to population 47,000. Robert McCulloch founded the town in '63 and moved London Bridge from the Thames to the Colorado as a tourist attraction. Oglers came and then stayed, not for the bridge but for the boating.
Now, Stevo, 41, flips real estate when he's not minding the store or joining the party.
Stevo maneuvers over to a sandbar a few miles upriver from the bridge and circles the shifting maze of speedboats, pontoons and party barges looking for a spot to lower the trim and sit. He finds one on a satellite mound where fewer boats are anchored.
Here, the underage and overage get boozed up before floating to bars such as Kokomos. One San Bernardino teenager, who's here with a friend's father, whoops in the passenger seat, spills his beer and leans over to lap it off the stern.
"These girls don't even look at you if you don't have money on you," the teen says, attempting to focus. "So I just go up and grab 'em."
Stevo shoots across the channel and wedges onto the main sandbar. On a patch of murky sand poking above the water's surface, 60 people surround a confetti-coated phallus-shaped piñata and hit it with a stick. A young woman shimmies next to it, earning Mardi Gras beads from the folks cranking up the sound systems on their boats.
"Show us your boobs!" shout the sunburned masses.
The man swaying behind the dancing woman begins to lift her top. She looks confused, then alarmed and races into the arms of a friend. Males half and twice her age drop upheld bottles in disappointment and boo.
"What happens in Havasu, stays in Havasu," blazons one of the muscle tanks hanging in Stevo's store near London Bridge. The hijacked cliché seems to be the rallying cry for people flocking to this Neverland, famed for thong bikinis and pasty, thrill-seeking desk jockeys who bring their kids.
People on the outskirts of the sandbar mob attempt a broader perspective.
"You see all this beautiful desert?" asks Nigal Blith, a 39-year-old Long Beach police officer who's vacationing on his party barge Crime Pays. "A lot of people take that for granted. Not me."
Stevo is also appreciative — of the human scenery. "I love silicone," he says back on the boat, trolling past a vessel teeming with women. "I wish they had it for men."
He sweeps into open water, cutting wakes that launch the bow in a jerking motion.
Later today, a wake boarder will separate his lips from his gums after flying face first into the drink. Another will sever his pinkie toe on a propeller and be aided by friends who sanitize the wound with Budweiser. More than one teenager will have too much to drink.
Even Stevo has had more than one. Despite the tempting party scene, he hurtles back to London Bridge in the Nordic and decides to call it a night.
It's been a long day, and he has work in the morning

HighRoller
08-24-2004, 07:22 AM
I'm sure the LH City Council must be proud. Maybe they should take all those tourist dollars and buy a clue. :yuk:

Havasu_Dreamin
08-24-2004, 07:24 AM
Great, now even more idiots will show up! I also like how they don't even address the many many people that go there to realx and avoid the party scene all togethere. But I guess that does not sell newspapers

THOR
08-24-2004, 07:27 AM
I am sure there were plenty of people posing for pics with things other than beer in their hands, but that wouldnt be a good pic for a story. Underage teens drinking and hanging out on fast boats makes a good story.

Ion
08-24-2004, 07:32 AM
Betcha Stevo's sees a nice spike in business because of this freebie. It's pretty ironic that a feature writer, who meant to slam my fine town and it's debaucherous reputation, ends up rewarding it's scapegoat with a load of new business from subscribers of the LA Times! Write on...

OGShocker
08-24-2004, 07:34 AM
Seems to me Stevo ought to have his a$$ kicked for talking to the L.A. Times. Those fockers can spin a story like no one else. :burningm:

PHX ATC
08-24-2004, 07:34 AM
That painted a lovely picture, didn't it?
What happened to Steamboat where you just hang out and socialize?
I need more :coffeycup .

casean
08-24-2004, 07:36 AM
I for one can promise you that "Stevo" isn't going to get any business from me or my friends after the mockery he made out of Havasu and boating in general. Did he really have to crack a beer while he was driving? What a F'in moron.

OGShocker
08-24-2004, 07:39 AM
I wonder if Bonnie had the full treatment? Did she dance on the brass pole. Did she drink and eat jello shooters? Did she BLOW Stevo on the way back to the channel? If so, why did she not report it? :wink:

Ion
08-24-2004, 07:40 AM
I for one can promise you that "Stevo" isn't going to get any business from me or my friends after the mockery he made out of Havasu and boating in general. Did he really have to crack a beer while he was driving? What a F'in moron.
The spike in biz will come from LA Times readers who think his display was "cool". And those are the revelers featured in the article...impressionable kids...oh...& let's not rule out irresponsible "adults".

THOR
08-24-2004, 07:41 AM
I am out of the locals loop a little here so bare with me. What does Stevo do? What kind of biz does he run so I can make sure I never go there?

Essex502
08-24-2004, 07:42 AM
What a great way to trash Havasu... Thanks, Stevo! You've really done it!

Ion
08-24-2004, 07:42 AM
Thor...
He sells sunglasses and beach-related stuff on the Kokomo side of the mall

OGShocker
08-24-2004, 07:43 AM
As the proprietor of Stevo's Beach, Boat and Party Wear
His place is in the channel right by the resort

jbtrailerjim
08-24-2004, 07:43 AM
I was up at the sand bar when this girl from the L.A. Times was interviewing people. Stevo parked his boat right next to me. We were parked on the little sand bar to the right of the main sand bar. It was pretty mellow over there and she was trying to find a way to get over to the main sand bar where the action was. I don't know how she even got there or who she was with. According to the article, it sounds like she came up with Stevo. If so, did he actually think the L.A. Times would actually print a positive article about Havasu? I was hoping she would try and interview me so, I could ask her why? So, the L.A. Times can print some negative article about Havasu.

THOR
08-24-2004, 07:44 AM
My Dad was just shaking his head when he gave me the article this morning. Pretty sad when a 62 year old retiree is ashamed to go to Havasu.

Sleek-Jet
08-24-2004, 07:45 AM
Another will sever his pinkie toe on a propeller and be aided by friends who sanitize the wound with Budweiser.
I didn't know Scream was in Havasu then. :D

Havasu_Dreamin
08-24-2004, 07:46 AM
I am out of the locals loop a little here so bare with me. What does Stevo do? What kind of biz does he run so I can make sure I never go there?
He owns a t-shirt and apparel shop down in the village, oddly enough, named Stevos Beach and Party Wear or something like that. The only thing I have ever bought there is the Lake Havasu City sticker that is on the back of my suburban. I don't plan on going back next time I need a new sticker. :yuk:

OGShocker
08-24-2004, 07:47 AM
DOH!!!! :2purples: :messedup: ROTFLMAO

OGShocker
08-24-2004, 07:49 AM
His website (http://www.stevoshavasu.com/) is down right now but, when it comes back up I am all over this. Email him and find out his motives. I am going to.

summerlove
08-24-2004, 07:52 AM
completely irresponsible journalism. :mad:

carbonmarine
08-24-2004, 07:56 AM
WHO INVITED THAT **** ! What a mistake.. Here sthe scene , she went up there, got on a canoe someplace north of Topoc and didnt like teh boats, eth noise, the etc... decided to investigate and BAM.
The article is more opinion than fact. Read it again....OpEd !
Rick

HighRoller
08-24-2004, 08:00 AM
Take it easy on ol' Stevo. He sounds like a cool local cat, right? Puttin' his foot up while driving and crackin' a Coors at the same time? Bonnie mentioned the old phrase "what happens in Havi stays in Havi". I don't think we're getting the WHOLE story from this biatch. Stevo, being the experienced SandBar junkee, obviously knocked back a couple more Coors while she was getting the story. Then, on the way back Steve-O probably stopped in the middle of the lake and kicked his leg up again.
"Why are we stopped?" She must have asked.
"Put out or swim, biatch."
Now we know why she has a grudge about Havasu but knows that no secrets ever escape. It's not like she can run a story about being bent over the seat of the Nordic taking Steve-O's pole while people driving by :idea: :hammer2: cheered!

OGShocker
08-24-2004, 08:02 AM
WHO INVITED THAT **** ! What a mistake.. Here sthe scene , she went up there, got on a canoe someplace north of Topoc and didnt like teh boats, eth noise, the etc... decided to investigate and BAM.
The article is more opinion than fact. Read it again....OpEd !
Rick
Be quiet you pastie wearing, drunk trouble maker....and call my cell. :D

jbtrailerjim
08-24-2004, 08:09 AM
I've bought stuff from his store in the past and he seem's like a cool guy. But WTF... was he thinking taking some dumb broad from the L.A Times out on the lake so she can right a negative article about the city he lives in and earns a living in. Clearly it was for the free plug his store would get. I hope it backfires on his dumb ass. I'm thinking I'll shop elsewhere now.

superdave013
08-24-2004, 08:13 AM
I donno why you guys have your panties all bunched up. That's pretty much what I see every time I go out there.

Sleek-Jet
08-24-2004, 08:14 AM
I wonder if he knew she was a reporter or who she worked for, or if she was on the job??

jbtrailerjim
08-24-2004, 08:22 AM
I wonder if he knew she was a reporter or who she worked for, or if she was on the job??
He had to know. I saw her and she was walking around with a little note pad and a pen interviewing people that were parked around me. She told people she was interviewing, she was with the L.A. Times.

AzDon
08-24-2004, 08:23 AM
I've just sent the article to the "News-Herald", the Chamber of Commerce, And the VCB with "WTF?" messages..... Will they pin a medal on "STEVO" for his promotional efforts or burn his store down?...Stay tuned!!

Essex502
08-24-2004, 08:31 AM
I donno why you guys have your panties all bunched up. That's pretty much what I see every time I go out there.
What it paints is a picture that all of Havasu is that way all of the time. It wasn't a very balanced piece of Journalism.

summerlove
08-24-2004, 08:33 AM
Be quiet you pastie wearing, drunk trouble maker....and call my cell. :D
OMG, co-conspirators!
BTW, Rick, your post from above is right on. If you ever say I agreed with you I'll deny it! :p

Sleek-Jet
08-24-2004, 08:35 AM
He had to know. I saw her and she was walking around with a little note pad and a pen interviewing people that were parked around me. She told people she was interviewing, she was with the L.A. Times.
Well not like it was a piece of hard hitting journalism, but I guess if he knew then shame on him. :devil:

bulldogdad
08-24-2004, 09:04 AM
jb
what was she warin,and was she goodlooking,might have been all stevo need for the influence on the ride :wink:

Debbolas
08-24-2004, 09:07 AM
LOL
Ok, I get it now.......
Thanks!

jbtrailerjim
08-24-2004, 10:08 AM
jb
what was she warin,and was she goodlooking,might have been all stevo need for the influence on the ride :wink:
If that's what he was after he's pretty hard up cuz she was definitely not a looker. From what I remember she was kinda on the thick side. If I was a single guy I would have to been wearing some damn thick beer goggles before I would hit it. Maybe that's why he was sucking down so many Coor's while he had her on his boat. ;) :D

Ziggy
08-24-2004, 10:43 AM
Great, just F'ing great---bonehead move by Stevo IMO--- :mad: Just in time for all the dorks to plan a Labor Day trip to the sandbar on a bunch of rental boats :rolleyes:

Ron Burnett
08-24-2004, 10:59 AM
that reporter was going to the sand bar weather or not steveo took her or not.yea steveo was thinking about a little free advertisment. smart man in my book. and the sand bar has been this way for a long time and the tourist that visit wont have to worry about labor day it will be closed.

Ziggy
08-24-2004, 11:05 AM
that reporter was going to the sand bar weather or not steveo took her or not.yea steveo was thinking about a little free advertisment. smart man in my book. and the sand bar has been this way for a long time and the tourist that visit wont have to worry about labor day it will be closed.
Thats my point, they don't know it'll be closed and the screw up the rest of an otherwise enjoyable weekend... :frown: I'll just lax at the house instead :smile:

roostwear
08-24-2004, 12:36 PM
I would agree he's smart if he had done it right. "The boat thrusts to lip-curling speed, but Stevo puts a foot up on the dash and cracks open a Coors." Probably a ton of artistic license there, but if he cracked a beer in front of a reporter, (legal or not), he wasn't thinking business.

OGShocker
08-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Same stuff happend at Glamis. Reporters came then the tree huggin' POS's from the Sierra Club then the Lawyers closed the dunes! F*CK the press before the f*ck you. Do not talk to them. Do not help them. Stevo had what must greedy f*cks have,,,, Short Term Vision! This will help my business until they close the lake to boaters. Dumba$$! IMHO

lucky
08-24-2004, 01:41 PM
but after all the hype - i'm there :eek:
was there alot of exclamation points in the artical ??? IT sounds as if she liked it - may be stevo - had to much to drink and his "bussiness" was lacking and she did not get the ride she deserved ?
I think we should send her up to canturd with hansen ... :cool:

Dave C
08-24-2004, 01:46 PM
sounds like Bonnie is a prude:wink:

OGShocker
08-24-2004, 02:16 PM
I am trying something here, please bare with me.Look at the DB teak surfing (http://www.latimes.com/features/outdoors/la-os_823boats-fl,1,7947380.flash) I don't see Bonnie freaking out telling her it could kill her. Maybe she was looking for a bigger story. :mad: :crossx: :crossx:
Tell me if the link works.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-24-2004, 02:21 PM
I am trying something here, please bare with me.Look at the DB teak surfing (http://www.latimes.com/features/outdoors/la-os_823boats-fl,1,7947380.flash) I don't see Bonnie freaking out telling her it could kill her. Maybe she was looking for a bigger story. :mad: :crossx: :crossx:
Tell me if the link works.
It worked and I did not even see that! Can't believe that nothing was even mentioned about that! she keeps that up she'll end up drowning and then her family will blame everyone but her DUMBA$$ self for engaging in such a dangerous activity! :lightsabe

THOR
08-24-2004, 02:21 PM
I saw that too. Who the F&^% is taking the pic? Teak surfing pics? WTF are you thinking? Hey, teak surfing is deadly, lets get a few action shots.

Ducatista
08-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Just another article on the "good element" that pollutes Havasu every summer. :rolleyes:

Debbolas
08-24-2004, 03:36 PM
We were in the channel last weekend, next to some boat that were throwing the football to boats going by ( all good fun, but people were swimming out into boat traffic to get the ball, then when the cop comes by and tells them to stop, they get all bent out of shape)
When people read about this type of activity at Havasu they will think they can come there and act like there are no laws. This boat was also squirting boats with the water cannon. I remember some of you posting that, that wasn't cool because of your stereo, etc...
The channel cops were really on top of it, but what a hassle. We don't usually do the channel. I'd rather be driving my boat, not sitting in it or floating by it. But that is just me............. :wink:

summerlove
08-24-2004, 05:18 PM
I saw that too. Who the F&^% is taking the pic? Teak surfing pics? WTF are you thinking? Hey, teak surfing is deadly, lets get a few action shots.
post the picture....