PDA

View Full Version : Callin all the squids (crotch rocket) folks

Drunk tank
08-24-2004, 12:48 PM
Are there any motor cycle training places around SoCal that youd all suggest? Gonna be getting a bike in the next month or two for commuting (either an R1, RC51, or GSX-R1000). I've ridden alot before in my short life (dirt bikes and cruisers) but I wanna take a class of some sort to learn to use a bike to its fullest potential, expecially crotch rockets. I could just get one and go from there... but I'd rather know how to use the bike to all it ability to avoid a crash if something unexpected where to happen. So who'd ya all suggest?
Thanks everyone!
- Ryan

JustMVG
08-24-2004, 12:54 PM
You might check with Honda Riders School in Colton, or look for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation in your area.

JET-O-VATOR
08-24-2004, 01:14 PM
Personally I Dont Recomend A Bigbore Bike For Your First Bike Get A 600 It Will Be More Than Enough Power For You.....

Drunk tank
08-24-2004, 01:21 PM
It is going to be my first bike... but I have ridden before on the big bikes. I also weigh in at about 270 dressed with a back pack... so I'm not light by any means.

SoCalHD
08-24-2004, 01:50 PM
From my experience with those bikes you mentioned, the RC-51 will KILL you butt for commuting!! The Yami and Zuk have much better seats on them!

Budget Baller
08-24-2004, 02:06 PM
Santiago Canyon College has a motorcycle safety course on Saturdays that you can take. They provide the bike and the helmet. You can ride the canyon right by Cooks Corner to get there from where you are at. Take the course and your insurance company will usually give you a 10% discount.

gramps
08-24-2004, 02:09 PM
I reccomend a pick up truck.............the hell with the bike!!!!!!!

jackpunx
08-24-2004, 02:15 PM
willow springs has a racing school... I think thats what your looking for.. You can even ride their bikes.. I would do that.. then you can decide if you even want to spend the money..
If you want to go big.. just get a duc..

Ducatista
08-24-2004, 03:18 PM
Keith Code's California Superbike School (http://www.superbikeschool.com/)
Denis Legelow at DP Safety School (http://www.dpsafetyschool.com)
MSF Motorcycle Safety Foundation (http://www.msf-usa.org)
Class MC Schools (http://www.classrides.com/)
Kelly Baker's Preformance Unlimited at Willow can help you set your bike up.
http://www.avsportriders.com/index_files/bakerlogo.jpg
For commuting.........I'm with Gramps! :cool:

Drunk tank
08-24-2004, 03:26 PM
well... like a 10 mile commute :devil:
But the jeep gets 10 miles to the gallon so that'd be over 20 gallons a week cruisin around on that bitch

Kilrtoy
08-24-2004, 03:29 PM
That is all great and all those schools are very cool if you want to be robbie racer.
What you need to do is buy a WAY SMALLER BIKE. Those are not the best bikes to commute on. they are meant to go very fast very hard.
COMMON SENSE will get you very far on a bike.
GREAT ADVICE
1:
when approaching intersections get off the gas and start braking, IT WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE.
2:
Its very easy to go fast and VERY HARD TOO SLOW DOWN.
3:
Wear a real helmet so that when you do crash it will save your melon
4:
Ride as if no one sees you.
5:
ride slow
6:
Your on a motorcycle, not at the beach thongs and shorts not allowed,
wear boots and gloves with long pants eye wear and a REAL HELMET
That is all my tips for right now
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES=BULLSHIT

mirvin
08-24-2004, 03:45 PM
Do you need gear? What size are you?
I have a full set of leathers and all the accessories. I gave up riding the rockets but kept the gear. I'm 6 ft 185 lbs though.
mirvin :D

HammerDown
08-24-2004, 03:46 PM
Well thats not entirely BS. :cool:

Kilrtoy
08-24-2004, 03:52 PM
Well thats not entirely BS. :cool:
Ok maybe they did save 1 life, but they scare people more than anything and that more often than not, causes accidents when the dipshit in the car moves into you or side swipes you.

CA Stu
08-24-2004, 04:09 PM
Take the MSF course, you can find a local one by calling 1-877- RIDE-411.
It will be the single best thing you will ever do for staying alive and healthy on the street on a bike, I guarantee it.
Also, a lot of the performance aspects of a bike are depenant on the rider.
It's a fact, an expert rider on a small engined, worse handling bike can outrun a less skilled rider on the latest big bore hardware.
If you're a reader, pick up Gary Jaehne's book " Sportbiking: The Real World". and also "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough.
You can build a bigger, more long lasting house on a solid foundation then you can on a shaky foundation.
Thanks
CA Stu

jtmarten
08-24-2004, 08:09 PM
I agree with Kilrtoy (except the loud pipes thing :smile: )
A 750 would be the max size I'd go. I have an old ('83) GpZ 750, fairly modified, that will run 12.1-12.3 @ 115 in the 1/4 at 5000ft. It's geared for about 160, but I've only had it up to 150. Newer 600/750s will easily put you in that range without mods.
Defensive riding is what I'd focus on.
Jeff

77charger
08-24-2004, 08:21 PM
willow springs has a racing school... I think thats what your looking for.. You can even ride their bikes.. I would do that.. then you can decide if you even want to spend the money..
If you want to go big.. just get a duc..
I'll take my gsxr 750 over any duc any day :rollside: go big get the gsxr1kthe msf course is good as well as track time at willow.I took the roadrace course that is required for racing there ten years ago.I have been riding rockets for a long time it seems

Kilrtoy
08-24-2004, 08:24 PM
Road racing courses will due ZERO for you, when it comes to saving your bacon on the street. The slower you drive the more time to react to an impending situation.
another rule
7:
upon impending impact jump from the bike to clear the object that is going to colide with you, DON'T lay it down and slid in to it......

dave186
08-24-2004, 08:36 PM
that RC51 is not a good commuter bike, i wanted one so bad untill i rode one. I have a 40 mile commute, and it just wouldnt work. now im looking at a suzuki katana.

Kilrtoy
08-24-2004, 08:37 PM
that RC51 is not a good commuter bike, i wanted one so bad untill i rode one. I have a 40 mile commute, and it just wouldnt work. now im looking at a suzuki katana.
Perfect bike, get a 600 has a better/seat/body posture position. Not the fastest , BUT DAMN its fast enough. Remember speed kills

dave186
08-24-2004, 08:42 PM
i rode the 600 katana, and I think i want to try the 750 first, im a big boy (300lbs) and i think i could use the extra power. the only thing i dont like about the things is that headlight, remember the commercials suzuki used to have? just freaks me out now.

wsuwrhr
08-25-2004, 07:31 AM
Are there any motor cycle training places around SoCal that youd all suggest? Gonna be getting a bike in the next month or two for commuting (either an R1, RC51, or GSX-R1000). I've ridden alot before in my short life (dirt bikes and cruisers) but I wanna take a class of some sort to learn to use a bike to its fullest potential, expecially crotch rockets. I could just get one and go from there... but I'd rather know how to use the bike to all it ability to avoid a crash if something unexpected where to happen. So who'd ya all suggest?
Thanks everyone!
- Ryan
Just curious, where I am from, a squid is a "shithed"(moderate that pal) on a bike. So when I first saw the thread I was curious what was inside.
I love riding, you either love it or hate it.
Good advise so far in this thread.
"Ride like NOONE sees you."
I abide by that, and SO FAR I have been lucky.
If you have rider experience, get the GSXR, look at the Honda 900's also, both very capable bikes. I am not a fan of Yamaha, but the R1 is a good bike also.
Just remember, you can get killed on ANY motorcycle.
I always recommend buying a USED smaller(600 or so) to learn about riding a street bike. Cheap, can be had for under 3000 or so. Cheap to insure, trust me, a NEW rider on a NEW sportbike will set you back HALF of the cost of the bike each year for the first few years. Get a 600, get liability only, ride it for a year or two, recoop some of your money from your 600, and then get your liter class ride.
The bike will end up on it's side, better to do it on a cheap bike than with a 10,000 dollar motorcycle. I don't personally know anyone that hasn't went down at one time or another.
Brian
Shoot me a call if you want to talk bikes. 909-883-3739
There are two types of riders, those who have been down, and those who are going down. It is only a matter of time. How long have you been riding?

Drunk tank
08-25-2004, 07:33 AM
Ya... that wont be me. Bit paranoid about saftey on a bike (will never see me wearing shorts on one), dont do drugs, and dont know any other folks to go ride with yet so the whole terrorizing thing may not work so well :wink:

JET-O-VATOR
08-25-2004, 08:15 AM
i rode the 600 katana, and I think i want to try the 750 first, im a big boy (300lbs) and i think i could use the extra power. the only thing i dont like about the things is that headlight, remember the commercials suzuki used to have? just freaks me out now.
YOU CANT COMPARE THE KATANA TO A GSXR600, R6 OR A CBR600RR...

RiverToysJas
08-25-2004, 09:15 AM
That is all great and all those schools are very cool if you want to be robbie racer.
What you need to do is buy a WAY SMALLER BIKE. Those are not the best bikes to commute on. they are meant to go very fast very hard.
COMMON SENSE will get you very far on a bike.
GREAT ADVICE
1:
when approaching intersections get off the gas and start braking, IT WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE.
2:
Its very easy to go fast and VERY HARD TOO SLOW DOWN.
3:
Wear a real helmet so that when you do crash it will save your melon
4:
Ride as if no one sees you.
5:
ride slow
6:
Your on a motorcycle, not at the beach thongs and shorts not allowed,
wear boots and gloves with long pants eye wear and a REAL HELMET
That is all my tips for right now
A movie quote comes to mind here......I'd rather be dead and cool, than alive and uncool! ;)
Which is exactly why my wife will not allow me to have a street bike. At least not "until the kids are grown and moved out"...... :cool:
RTJas :D

wsuwrhr
08-25-2004, 09:36 AM
YOU CANT COMPARE THE KATANA TO A GSXR600, R6 OR A CBR600RR...
Not even in the same playing field.
Two wheels, and that is about all they share.
Brian
:shift:

mirvin
08-25-2004, 09:59 AM
Not even in the same playing field.
Two wheels, and that is about all they share.
Brian
:shift:
I rode a Katana 750 for years. Great bike. Better for commuting cuz it's got some weight to it so you won't get blown around.
I toasted dorks on quicker bikes all the time. "Squids" who buy a performance bike and have no clue on riding. It was easy. Latigo canyon, Las Tunas, etc. If you don't know what you're doing it doesn't matter how good your stuff is.
Here's my riding tip: "You CAN go as fast as you want, but you CANNOT be in a hurry"
mirvin

Drunk tank
08-25-2004, 10:07 AM
The whole squid thing I learned from some folks I know back in CO that rode the big cruisers. Apparantly thats what the asshats that ride the 200 mile an hour bikies and hit something made of concrete or steel look like. Guess I used it improperly...seems like most folks here that ride are pretty responsible...

Wicky
08-25-2004, 10:09 AM
Road racing courses will due ZERO for you, when it comes to saving your bacon on the street.
With that statement I suspect that you have you taken every road racing course there is kilrtoy. Am I correct?
Mow,
Wicky

Drunk tank
08-25-2004, 10:12 AM
Also, I will be buying a used bike for my first. All the bikes I listed I'll be looking at will probably be 2000 to 2002's. Since they depreciate pretty fast initially... figure this would the cheaper route to go and get me a quality bike.
Also... What Do you all thiink about the TL1000R's? Found a few of those on the market for a pretty good price.

nodigg
08-25-2004, 10:28 AM
HAYABUSA! (After some practice)
Then always remember,
1. Red means stop, Yellow means stop if safe to do so. (no one on your ass)Green does NOT mean go. It means proceed ONLY when you are sure it is safe to do so!
2. LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES! (I used to HATE those friggin' Harley's but now I have one....a LOUD one! Sorry Kilrtoy. :devil:
3. Expect every driver you see to do the stupidest driving possible.
4. When you grow up trade the Hayabusa for a Harley that goes slow, handles poorly, costs too much, is way too loud and is a lot more fun to ride! :rollside:

wsuwrhr
08-25-2004, 10:31 AM
Also, I will be buying a used bike for my first. All the bikes I listed I'll be looking at will probably be 2000 to 2002's. Since they depreciate pretty fast initially... figure this would the cheaper route to go and get me a quality bike.
Also... What Do you all thiink about the TL1000R's? Found a few of those on the market for a pretty good price.
Like I said, check insurance for the MODEL ansd YEAR of bike you are set on buying. Trust me, if you haven't insured a street bike, you will surprised how much it cost for comp/collision.
Brian

wsuwrhr
08-25-2004, 10:35 AM
Since they depreciate pretty fast initially... figure this would the cheaper route to go and get me a quality bike.
Any mid 90's superbike will get you where you want to be. When you buy it, look at the overall condition of the bike. Sportbikes that are taken care of don't wear out. Most of them end up against a tree somewhere.
I have a '95 900RR, it still looks showroom new because I take care of it. It isn't the fastest or the coolest anymore, but it rides as well as when I bought it in '98.
The TL's are cool looking bikes, but you know they are twins right? Not that it is a bad thing...just pointing it out if you didn't know.
Brian

wsuwrhr
08-25-2004, 10:38 AM
I rode a Katana 750 for years. Great bike. Better for commuting cuz it's got some weight to it so you won't get blown around.
I toasted dorks on quicker bikes all the time. "Squids" who buy a performance bike and have no clue on riding. It was easy. Latigo canyon, Las Tunas, etc. If you don't know what you're doing it doesn't matter how good your stuff is.
Here's my riding tip: "You CAN go as fast as you want, but you CANNOT be in a hurry"
mirvin
Didn't mean to dog the Kantana, sorry if you took it that way. It is just a different bike from what he was interested in.
Brian

mirvin
08-25-2004, 10:43 AM
Didn't mean to dog the Kantana, sorry if you took it that way. It is just a different bike from what he was interested in.
Brian
No harm, no foul:) Everyone dogs on Katana's:D That's because they are different. They're much better for commuting because of their differences. ( Steel frame, more relaxed seating position, comfy ass pad, etc.) Sounds like he wants a road racer though.
I was just pointing out that training is as important if not more important then equipment.

Ducatista
08-25-2004, 10:46 AM
Great bike IMO, like the RC a twin. Make sure it has a steering stabilizer on it if you look at one used. Like the others you mentioned, not a commuter, but with the short ride you have it would work fine. Can't go wrong with any of those bikes, RC 51, R1, Gixr1000, you have good taste! Sounds like you have some riding experience from what you have posted, and want a "R" rated liter bike. Good luck with you're search. Hook up with a dealer in your area & get some track days info, when you're ready to learn some unique skills as it relates to preformance riding.
I would "really" suggest getin a cheap gas miser(car or truck) for work, and save the bike for the weekend backroads. We don't want to read about anyone else. I have riden full time in the past...so I don't mean to preach, just a suggestion. Take care

wsuwrhr
08-25-2004, 10:52 AM
I would "really" suggest getin a cheap gas miser for work, and save the bike for the weekend backroads. We don't want to read about anyone else! Take care...
50-60 MPG isn't a gas miser?
How much fuel does your Ducati use?
Brian

wsuwrhr
08-25-2004, 10:53 AM
No harm, no foul:)
I was just pointing out that training is as important if not more important then equipment.
Yes sir.
Brian

Ducatista
08-25-2004, 10:57 AM
50-60 MPG isn't a gas miser?
How much fuel does your Ducati use?
Brian
I was refering to a car, something a little safer, I'll go back and edit it in.
To answer the question, about 40mpg on the Duc(916 Desmo motor)

Drunk tank
08-25-2004, 11:03 AM
The TL's are cool looking bikes, but you know they are twins right? Not that it is a bad thing...just pointing it out if you didn't know. Plus, from my experiance...theyre torquey SOB's!
Brian
Ya... I know theyre twins, as are the RC51's. Like that nice VTwin Vibe... chicks dig it too.... 1000cc vibrator for em.
I think the best thing i ever saw was a chick on the back of a big twin in denver one night at a stop light.... looked a little odd... so we looked and listened a little closer. The Girl had a freakin orgasm right there at the ****in stoplight!!! Coolest shit I've seen in a long time...and the dude was workin the trottle just right for her. Never know.. could of had one of those vibrators that can be installed in the rear seat for the ladies. Anyone else seen that? I'll try to find the link to it...cool shit.

Drunk tank
08-25-2004, 11:08 AM
I was refering to a car, something a little safer, I'll go back and edit it in.
To answer the question, about 40mpg on the Duc(916 Desmo motor)
I'll probably get a car somewhere down the line.... but for now I want a bike... then to build a new boat (or totally redo my current), and then a big turbo diesel for towing and commuting (Dodge 2500 quadcab shortbed). Dont need a truckk bigger than that... itll pull anysize boat I plan on having as well as my jeep on a trailer.

superdave013
08-25-2004, 11:08 AM
C'Mon, go big or stay in the house.
Get a Johnny Cheese preped Turbo Busa with the big bore kit. Should be good for a quick 215+mph trip to work! lol
As you can tell I don't know squat about bikes. But I do know my brotherinlaw Johnny Cheese builds some of the fastest and sickest HAYABUSA's in the USA. He's focking crazy and so are all his customers!

RiverToysJas
08-25-2004, 11:14 AM
C'Mon, go big or stay in the house.
Get a Johnny Cheese preped Turbo Busa with the big bore kit. Should be good for a quick 215+mph trip to work! lol
You really want to go big????.....
http://www.turbinetecsystems.de/images/Y2KBike.jpg
Jay Leno rides his on the street! Said the exhaust melted the bumper OFF a Lexus that was crowding him at an intersection!!!! :supp:

CA Stu
08-25-2004, 11:17 AM
TL-R's are pure racebikes and don't have a good rep as them either.
Your wrists will ache and your ass will be on fire on that thing unless you're riding in a full race crouch, hanging off every corner, and hauling ass.
Like most of the other poster's have said, start small and work your way up.
I think a Katana 600 is a great starter bike.
I should qualify my responses: My pops was a bike salesman / buyer for over 40 years, I got my first bike when I was 7, and I currently own 6 bikes. (4 mine, 2 for the kids, but I ride them too...). Didn't plan to end up with that many, but some deals are just too good to pass up. :hammerhea
Thanks
CA Stu
PS You will eventually crash. Dress for the crash, not the ride.
PPS Loud pipes risk rights.
PPPS Join the AMA.

superdave013
08-25-2004, 11:27 AM
You really want to go big????.....
http://www.turbinetecsystems.de/images/Y2KBike.jpg
Jay Leno rides his on the street! Said the exhaust melted the bumper OFF a Lexus that was crowding him at an intersection!!!! :supp:
I saw Jay pull up to the Rock Store on that bike. I went it for a closer look as he went by and he about torched my shoes.

keithj714
08-25-2004, 11:48 AM
a lurker comes out.... :)
I dig sport bikes, so I guess I have to post on this.
Couple of thoughts:
You are a big dude, get a big bike, you're gonna need it. I myself have a R6, I prefer it over the R1 because you can play the shifting game and IMHO have a little more fun, R1's tooo fast for that. I tip the scales at about 190 though.
I agree with Kilrtoy that loud pipes don't save lives, but anything you can do to make yourself more noticeable to drivers helps out. The only thing that can save your life on a bike is you and how you ride. Unfortunately, sometimes that isn't good enough.
Pursuant to the above, the stock cans are way too quiet. Change it, but save your old one. Many aftermarket exhaust systems could bring you a ticket if a cop is so inclined, you'll need to swap out in case you get a fix it ticket.
Track classes are fun and will help you out. You can't really learn how to ride aggressively on the street or Ortega Highway, if you want to try, go ahead and get prepaid funeral insurance, you're gonna need it.
Track classes at Willow Springs also do something else great for you... they get you out to Willow Springs. After that you will probably want to hook up on track days, that's where the real good stuff is. Once you've done track days a couple of times, stoplight drag racing on PCH loses it's thrill, you'll be a safer rider on the street IMHO. Ortega and the canyon runs, ditto, even though I won't be a big liar and say I haven't done it. The most dangerous riders I know are some weekend warrior guys who don't think anything of putting up 120 down around Laguna, Dana Point, etc. They're good guys and all, and they are grown men so I'm not gonna preach to them, but I sure am gonna miss 'em some day. It's really a lose - lose- lose situation, lose your bike, lose your license, lose your life.
Alpinestars, good stuff.
Mach One, Costa Mesa, get to know them.
AAA has the best deal by far on insurance, I pay about $1,000 a year for full coverage, comp, collision, theft on my 2004 R6. If you find anyone who can beat them who is a reputable insurance company, let me know.
that's about enough I guess, have a good ride.....

wsuwrhr
08-25-2004, 11:55 AM
a lurker comes out.... :)
Once you've done track days a couple of times, stoplight drag racing on PCH loses it's thrill, you'll be a safer rider on the street IMHO. Ortega and the canyon runs, ditto, even though I won't be a big liar and say I haven't done it. The most dangerous riders I know are some weekend warrior guys who don't think anything of putting up 120 down around Laguna, Dana Point, etc. They're good guys and all, and they are grown men so I'm not gonna preach to them, but I sure am gonna miss 'em some day. It's really a lose - lose- lose situation, lose your bike, lose your license, lose your life.
120? In the hills? On a sportbike? Pussies. :)
Everyone's gonna die someday.
Brian
Letting my not-so-responsible side come out. :)

rivercrazy
08-25-2004, 12:01 PM
Actually race time at a track will do more for your skills than anything else you can do. You get to know the skills you need to live on the street quickly. You really need skills based on "instinct" instead of "thought" on a bike. Track time builds those skills to a point where you don't think. You just react. If you think your dead......
Take a hard look at a Yamaha FZ1 while your shopping. It has many of the characteristics of a road race bike but its more laid back and comfortable for long distance rides

Ducatista
08-25-2004, 12:15 PM
[QUOTE=keithj714]a lurker comes out.... :)
I dig sport bikes, so I guess I have to post on this.
All good advice and thoughts Mr Lurker(keithj)......
Yahama FZ1, like the Katana, good way to go if ya don't want an "R" type bike, I agree rivercrazy. And time on the track certainly won't hurt either, well said.

keithj714
08-25-2004, 12:30 PM
Brian
Friend of mine's brother in law had the back wheel wash out on some gravel on Ortega about 5 months ago, didn't kill him, but 23 and paralyzed from the waist down now. Good kid, chicks dug him, just got outta college with an engineering degree, worked for Volvo. It's just not worth it.

wsuwrhr
08-25-2004, 01:07 PM
Friend of mine's brother in law had the back wheel wash out on some gravel on Ortega about 5 months ago, didn't kill him, but 23 and paralyzed from the waist down now. Good kid, chicks dug him, just got outta college with an engineering degree, worked for Volvo. It's just not worth it.
Sorry about your friend's brother in law. Life is dangerous to us all. Motorcycles are just another way we can harm ourselves doing what we love to do, whatever that is.
Just giving you some info because I don't want anyone thinking that I am callous in my opinions.
I really enjoy my seat time on a motorcycle, much to my mothers', and some of my friends' disappointment.
I have a very good friend in a wheelchair from an ATC racing accident 20 years ago. Although he gets around just fine, and does whatever he needs to, not a moment goes by that I wish his situation is different.
I have a friend who was closer than a brother to me, an band of "chosen" brothers if-you-will. (You can choose your friends, you can't choose your family) He died riding a motorcycle before his 19th birthday, shortly after graduating high school. I still get broken up about it.
Another motorcycle riding friend of mine wore a "halo" for a long time to fix his neck. He got lucky.
I have friends, as well as myself, that have gotten injured or killed in automotive accidents as well, two of which were killed earlier this year in separate acidents.....both 18 year old kids.
Another friend of mine destroyed his knee waterskiing during a deep water start, freak accident, 8 years and numerous surgeries later, his knee STILL isn't the same.
I am just saying, no matter what you do, we are always at risk living at the edges of the envelope.
I am truely sorry about your friend,
Brian
If you follow this board at all, you will know that I have preached about safety equipment to several of the board members here.

wsuwrhr
08-25-2004, 01:10 PM
Brian
I hope everyone knows the intent of this post.
Brian

keithj714
08-25-2004, 01:36 PM
Oh, hey man, no problem, I wasn't thinking you were being a dh or anything, after all nobody gets out of this life alive.
I"m not always Mr. Dudley Do - Right myself, I've been super lucky a few times, my girlfriend's always bugging me to quit smoking, I don't think it's ever occurred to her my ticket's a lot more likely to get punched on my bike than by cancer. Fortunately, I don't think she reads ***boat.
My last up close and personal chance to meet Jesus was in June when a guy in the lane next to me clipped the back end of a parked metro bus, if I had been a little bit closer to him, the back end of his car would've flicked me like a flea into the median when it swung around. It was in the air about three feet, so that it would have had a fairly thorough crushing effect on my internal organs, I'm sure. That one was a little hairy.
Even with the risks, I still ride to work almost everyday when it's warm enough, PCH, 405, 710. Great way to start the day!

SoCalHD
08-25-2004, 02:04 PM
Drunk Tank-I had a 98 TLR that had over 53,000 miles on it(all by me) until some chick took me out at 55mph on the 91 freeway. Did on of those quick lane changes without signaling or looking. I guess it was worth it to her to get home 5 sec. quicker!!! :mad: I have also put a lot of seat time in on a 02 RC51. Both are excellent bikes, different power characteristics. The TLR has a more comfortable seat-both have crappy seating positions!! The TLR was completely reliable-nothing but oil changes on mine in all those miles. For commuting though, I would look at the Yami FZ1. Comfortable egros, and the R-1 motor.

Kilrtoy
08-25-2004, 03:08 PM
With that statement I suspect that you have you taken every road racing course there is kilrtoy. Am I correct?
Mow,
Wicky
I will stand by my statement.
The courses that are teaching you how to drive fast, scrap your knee , pull wheelies at 120 draft and pass, will do nothing for you on the street. I would even go as far to say I have had more training on a motorcycle(IN SEAT HOURS) than almost everyone on here combined. I have done road racing and ridden on the street for a better part of 17 years, give or take. I have been down 5 times 2 of which I was hit by cars. WIll those courses make a bitchen rider in race or canyon conditions, yes, but common sense is not part of the course.....
What are the 1000's doing now 0-100 somewhere around 6 to 7 seconds, BUT THEY SURE DON'T STOP THAT FAST. Anyone can go fast not everyone can properly mantain, control and effective stop a motorcycle better than the manufacture says the bikes can stop.

Drunk tank
08-25-2004, 03:16 PM
Wonder if a quad could be registered for street use.... :confused: considerin it has 4 wheels and all, little more stable, get one of them big ones they use for farm work and hunting... got the bumpers and all. Could even rack my rifle on it.

keithj714
08-25-2004, 04:15 PM
Wonder if a quad could be registered for street use.... :confused: considerin it has 4 wheels and all, little more stable, get one of them big ones they use for farm work and hunting... got the bumpers and all. Could even rack my rifle on it.
In Cali? Ummm, I don't think so cause it has 4 wheels, which means it would have to have blinkers, windshield, wipers, seat belts (which would necessitate a roll cage as well), horn, and an e-brake at the very least. Motorcycles can only be registered 3 wheels and less, I believe.

wsuwrhr
08-25-2004, 04:24 PM
Tell me you aren't serious.
Brian

keithj714
08-25-2004, 04:27 PM
I will stand by my statement.
The courses that are teaching you how to drive fast, scrap your knee , pull wheelies at 120 draft and pass, will do nothing for you on the street. I would even go as far to say I have had more training on a motorcycle(IN SEAT HOURS) than almost everyone on here combined. I have done road racing and ridden on the street for a better part of 17 years, give or take. I have been down 5 times 2 of which I was hit by cars. WIll those courses make a bitchen rider in race or canyon conditions, yes, but common sense is not part of the course.....
What are the 1000's doing now 0-100 somewhere around 6 to 7 seconds, BUT THEY SURE DON'T STOP THAT FAST. Anyone can go fast not everyone can properly mantain, control and effective stop a motorcycle better than the manufacture says the bikes can stop.
I've got about 7 years on ya!
I see where you're coming from on the road racing courses, I guess I think they benefit a rider on the street because they give a rider the confidence to do "something" rather than just freeze up and grab for the brakes in an emergency. Sometimes the best thing you can do is lay it down, as much as that sucks. Inexperienced riders don't understand that a motorcycle doesn't stop appreciably faster than a car.
Oh yeah, I should've added to my list above, Drunk Tank, if your bike doesn't have frame sliders when you get it, stop on the way home and get them, before you buy any other cool gizmos. It's the best $120 you'll ever spend on your bike.

CA Stu
08-25-2004, 04:34 PM
. Sometimes the best thing you can do is lay it down, as much as that sucks. Inexperienced riders don't understand that a motorcycle doesn't stop appreciably faster than a car.
Wrong and wrong again.
Once you "lay it down", you have no directional control at all, you're just sliding into whatever is in front of you. Also, your braking ability is about zero.
If you're still on the rubber, at least you have a shot to avoid the collision.
Motorcycles do stop faster than cars, but with ABS, cars are closing that gap quickly.
You ever taken the MSF course, Keith? I have.
Thanks
CA Stu
PS Drunk Tank, remember, free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.
Take the MSF course, it was $160 when I took it. Must be worth something!
:D

keithj714
08-25-2004, 05:36 PM
Geez, maybe you're right! When did you take it? I really haven't taken any basic rider courses since getting my first motorcycle license back in 1980. Sometimes I wish I still had that 1976 Kawasaki Mach III 500 2 stroke Triple . What was my dad thinking, anyway? Also, please note I said stop "appreciably" faster as in say 1/2 the distance, and it depends on the bike as well. As for laying it down, sure it's an extreme measure, you don't want to jump off the bike anytime something happens, but depending on what you're going to hit and what kind of surface you're on, it may be your best option.
Good Luck Drunk Tank! Make sure you don't live up to your nickname on your rice rocket! Don't forget the frame sliders, either.