PDA

View Full Version : It's A Drag Race - Ming 9-25

Willis
08-24-2004, 08:49 PM
Hello every one,
ItÂ’s A Race at Ming http://www.njbaracing.net/schedule.php
Cs19, the V-Drive Club, and five to seven boats from Tom Papp Racing Shop!
Holley molly, all those River Racers having all that fun :boxingguy
Come on Down, Down load the discount coupon for your friend :messedup:
http://www.njbaracing.net/NJBA_bucks.jpg
Willis

steelcomp
08-24-2004, 09:15 PM
I'll be there in the Bahner tryin to break that elusive 100 mark! Just sent my bowl and impeller to MPD. Oughta be good for something!
It's a Race!!!!!

Squirtin Thunder
08-24-2004, 10:07 PM
WJ,
I have noticed that there are alot of guys that want to race in the river racer class. But the rule book dose not express any rules for the class, as far as I could see, The acrobat reader was quite clustered up for me. Talking with a few of them I advised them of some rules they weren't aware of. But it would sure be nice if someone from the Executive Board posted them.
Thank you
Jim

Willis
08-25-2004, 06:06 AM
Jim,
First I want to thank you for clearing up those issues who were unaware of the other rules. :2purples:
The river racer is not suppose to be a heavy duty class! ItÂ’s a category/line up or what ever you want to call it, where you race what you brung thing, but if you have a blown fuel flat, top alcohol jet, or a 740 CID/NOS power plant and the thing will achieve speeds above 100 mph, then the rules that cover that size cid and fuel and type of hull come into play. That means you need a pop off valve for the jet drive, awhirl away or ratchet for V-drive or jets, driver suit thatÂ’s fire retardant with head mask, etc. The rules are there for your safety. :boxingguy
I do know when I first started to race, I had a lot of extras on some of the rules and a veteran racer cleared them up for me too. :messedup:
You as the owner know if you have a river racer or a “pro class rig”.
Hope this helps those issues not explained. As for the website, rules book not down loading correctly, forms and updates, will be discussed and methods to solve those problems will be implemented as soon as possible.
Willis

Squirtin Thunder
08-25-2004, 06:33 AM
Willis,
Thank you. What about the FIA #3 physical for river racer??? So if someone were to follow the ski jet class rules they would be able to race right. Or is this like friday night at the strip run what you brung anything can run within reason?
Jim
Thanks
WJ

Willis
08-25-2004, 07:43 AM
Answer here :sqeyes:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55890
Willis

pops1
08-25-2004, 09:34 AM
Willis will the Aggressor contingency program go into effect this race-for the racers. Dave

Willis
08-25-2004, 08:48 PM
Pops1,
:argue:
As agreed, the following coupon values will be awarded to qualified winners. River Racers are not eligible, NJBA Members must have voting rights to win. :220v:
Aggressor Jet Drive Contingency Program Values
$100.00 -Mod Jet
$100.00 -Comp. Jet
$100.00 -Pro Gas Jet
$100.00 -Unblown Fuel Jet
$100.00 -Blown Fuel Jet
$100.00 -Blown Gas Jet
$100.00 -7.00-7.49 Jet Boat Brackets
$100.00 -7.5-7.99 Jet Boat Brackets
$100.00 -8.0-8.49 Jet Boat Brackets
$100.00 -8.5- 8.99 Jet Boat Brackets
$100.00 -9.0-9.49 Jet Boat Brackets
$100.00 -9.5-9.99 Jet Boat Brackets
$50.00 -10.00-10.49 Jet Boat Brackets
$50.00 -10.5-10.99 Jet Boat Brackets
$50.00 -11.00-11.49 Jet Boat Brackets
$50.00 -11.5-11.99 Jet Boat Brackets
$50.00 -12.0-12.49 Jet Boat Brackets
$50.00 -12.5-12.99 Jet Boat Brackets
To register, come to Willis' pit, boat #149 Tsunami BGJ. There is a limited supply of decals :supp:
Willis

UBFJ #454
08-26-2004, 09:48 AM
Willis -
Can we sign up with you here and now (Mike Sampica, Boat 454 UBFJ + a Bracket)? ... We already have Dave's Decals on the boat and our Entry Fees are Paid.
About the Other ... Things are proceeding well ... Have to wait until people return to SoCal ... Will keep you Informed.
Jak

Willis
08-27-2004, 06:07 AM
Jak,
Thanks for registering on line, saves time on less issues at the track. :supp:
The registraton on line will end 9-18-04. Please be sure that you have an Aggressor decal displayed on both sides of your boat. Verification will be necessary to claim prizes. :cry:
Willis

UBFJ #454
08-27-2004, 06:14 AM
Willis ... Your Welcome ... Just Do'n What a CrewChief Should Do.
I'll stop by your Pit anyway ... Just to Say Hello.

steelcomp
08-27-2004, 08:52 PM
Willis,
I'll be there with the V Drive club. Can I register early, like Bear, and would that help? I want to run Sat & Sun.
Thanks

Cs19
08-27-2004, 09:09 PM
The NJBA site is not very informative for new guys, but Im assuming the thing to do is print out the forms, fill em out, and mail em in with an enclosed check.
They should consider adding the new class to the forms though so we know exactly what to pay, etc.
Is there a way to sign up over the phone or can we sign up at the event?

Squirtin Thunder
08-27-2004, 10:00 PM
CS 19,
I know with the IHBA we used to register on thursday when we got there.
Jim

Willis
08-28-2004, 08:01 AM
August 28, 2004
Steelcomp :eek:
bear is registering for contingency items from Aggressor Jet Drives. :argue:
Willis

steelcomp
08-28-2004, 08:25 AM
Steelcomp
bear is registering for contingency items from Aggressor Jet Drives.
Okey Dokey. Thanks Willis

bp
08-28-2004, 08:05 PM
The NJBA site is not very informative for new guys, but Im assuming the thing to do is print out the forms, fill em out, and mail em in with an enclosed check.
They should consider adding the new class to the forms though so we know exactly what to pay, etc.
Is there a way to sign up over the phone or can we sign up at the event?
chris, from the last two newsletters, it does not sound like there is any financial benefit for you to register early (as there is for member racers). it looks like it is $75. the exact comment from the newsletter states:
"RIVER RACER CHANGES: for the remainder of the season someone interested in running river racer can join NJBA for only $100. AND participate in the river racer class for the remaining 3 races for $75 per event."
i would interpret this to mean that a person wanting to run rr for "more than one race" would need to pay the $100 membership fee. it also appears that you can run rr for the entire 2005 season, at $75/race, if you pay a $100 membership fee for 2005.
what this does not tell anyone is what the fees would be if someone that had been running rr actually wanted to step into competition, either through the end of this year, or in 2005.

Willis
08-28-2004, 08:46 PM
Hello every one,
bp, Chris
If a RR ran the September race and wanted to go category and bracket for the last two races of the year, the fees would same like yourÂ’s bp and mine.
That also means that you can't run rr for the 2005 season, you have stepped up to the pro category. :supp:
The first two pages of these attachment fills are the NJBA Newsletter, registration and lability pgs are what they say.
Willis

bp
08-29-2004, 07:00 AM
thanks willis. the question is this; if someone pays the $100 rr membership fee for 2005 (no vote, none competition), would there be any additional -membership- fee if a person steps into competition?

1Bahnerjet
08-29-2004, 07:19 AM
SteelComp is this your Bahner ?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/43Saturday_August_28_2004_7_.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/43Saturday_August_28_2004_8_.jpg

bp
08-29-2004, 07:40 AM
yes, that would be his

1Bahnerjet
08-29-2004, 07:54 AM
yes, that would be his
NICE...
Can't beat a Bahner :D
(Well maybe a Southwind, Eliminator, Tom Papp Edge or C.P. can :cry: )

Willis
08-29-2004, 08:22 AM
thanks willis. the question is this; if someone pays the $100 rr membership fee for 2005 (no vote, none competition), would there be any additional -membership- fee if a person steps into competition?
Hello every one,
bp,
First off he would have to increase his membership by 50 to the standard rate to be competive, and the regular enrty fees would apply. :messedup:
The new member(s) would then have same rights a full memberships have.
Willis

Squirtin Thunder
08-29-2004, 08:40 AM
WJ,
So I wouldn't be competitive with out paying the aditional $50? Does that go into a special mix of fuel to make me competitive????
Willis I do understand that there is an additional $50 ($150 for pro classes per year) and that there is an increase in entry fee. That is still not bad to go have a whole lot of safer and controlled fun and see a bunch of hot boats making timed runs.
Thank you
Jim

Squirtin Thunder
08-29-2004, 09:03 AM
Willis,
If I were to pay regular rate ( membership fee) and race River Racer I could vote??? Is that what you are saying???? If so that would be the way to go to help promote the class and make nessisary changes over the years. Hell then maybe ***boat would have a new catigory on the board River Racer. I do want to thank you Willis you are always right on it, it make it easier for all of us that have tons of questions. I am looking forward to the race.
Thanks again
Jim

Cs19
08-29-2004, 09:38 AM
Willis, sorry for bombarding you with questions :boxed: But this really is a good place for us to ask questions, so everyone else can see what it takes to get out there, and maybe a few lurkers are gettting interested..
So, if you race river race the last 2 races this season, can you not sign up for river race at the first race next season? I realize most will want to get in a bracket anyways, Im just curious.
Final question is, the total fee for river race in Sept. is $175 ? its a $100 for membership and $75 for entry fee. Correct? :notam:
Thanks Willis

Squirtin Thunder
08-29-2004, 09:43 AM
CS19,
That is the way I understand it. Total fee would be $175. Plus parking medtags and the $30 thurs.
Are we correct ???
Jim

bp
08-29-2004, 10:45 AM
Willis, sorry for bombarding you with questions :boxed: But this really is a good place for us to ask questions, so everyone else can see what it takes to get out there, and maybe a few lurkers are gettting interested..
So, if you race river race the last 2 races this season, can you not sign up for river race at the first race next season? I realize most will want to get in a bracket anyways, Im just curious.
Final question is, the total fee for river race in Sept. is $175 ? its a $100 for membership and $75 for entry fee. Correct? :notam:
Thanks Willis
chris, i do not believe the fee for a first time rr to run in september is 175. it is 75. IF a person wants to run more than one race in rr, or any other class for that matter, there is an association membership fee. in this case, the membership fee is 100 to run rr for the last 2-3 races this season.
starting in 2005, a person that wants to run rr would pay the 100 membership fee, then run as many races as they wanted as rr for 75 per race. based on what willis stated, if at some point the person wanted to step into competition, there would be an additional $50 membership fee.
the rr deal was always intended to be a "one race only" thing. from the posts when willis first started this, people wanted to just do the rr thing for several races until they were "ready" to compete. from what i understand, you can still do the "one race only" thing; but, now a person can continue to rr as many races as they want, if they pay the one time season membership fee.

djdtpr
08-29-2004, 11:17 AM
I just want to be sure my brain is working properly it is $75 to run RR if you want to run RR the rest of the season it is an additional $100 for njba membership fees and if you want to rus a class or bracket it is $50 more to njba for membership plus entries? :confused: I think i may have it figured out i think.

Squirtin Thunder
08-29-2004, 11:24 AM
NJBA RR membership $100
RR race entry $ 75
NJBA Competition membership $150
Am I right????
Jim

djdtpr
08-29-2004, 11:39 AM
Thats how i took it.Even my dog is looking at me like dont you get it yet!So what if i rode the little yellow bus.Cant wait hope the motor lives till then.

steelcomp
08-29-2004, 12:16 PM
SteelComp is this your Bahner ?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/43Saturday_August_28_2004_7_.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/43Saturday_August_28_2004_8_.jpg
Yup. That would be the one.
Sure would love to sell it!!!!!!!!

steelcomp
08-29-2004, 12:25 PM
NICE...
Can't beat a Bahner :D
(Well maybe a Southwind, Eliminator, Tom Papp Edge or C.P. can :cry: )
Thanks..I like mine, but go easy, there! Next you're going to say Sanger, Tahiti and Glasstron! (oh, you did say Glasstron...CP :rollside: )
Lets see...I've beat 2 SW's, bunch of Delaminators (one blown Daytona), 2 CP's (one blown), a Rogers with a Dart motor, and a Sanger Hydro. I haven't raced a Papp/Edge, yet. Maybe I'll get to pair up with Alan this year.
'Course, so far the only boat I haven't gotten by was a freekin 21' Liberator O/B.
NOW I'm cryin!! :cry:
One thing for sure...this hull will take all the HP I can throw at it. It's basically a PC splash, and can always go faster! :smile:

1Bahnerjet
08-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Thanks..I like mine, but go easy, there! Next you're going to say Sanger, Tahiti and Glasstron! (oh, you did say Glasstron...CP :rollside: )
Lets see...I've beat 2 SW's, bunch of Delaminators (one blown Daytona), 2 CP's (one blown), a Rogers with a Dart motor, and a Sanger Hydro. I haven't raced a Papp/Edge, yet. Maybe I'll get to pair up with Alan this year.
'Course, so far the only boat I haven't gotten by was a freekin 21' Liberator O/B.
One thing for sure...this hull will take all the HP I can throw at it. It's basically a PC splash, and can always go faster! :smile:
I stand Corrected, & very Pleased too :wink:

Squirtin Thunder
08-29-2004, 02:29 PM
Steelcomp,
The reason you did not get that Liborator was he had trim and a better power to wieght ratio, remember I was in the boat.
Jim
BTW- I think you will be able to get him with the bowl and impeller work that Jack@MPD is doing.

bp
08-29-2004, 08:27 PM
NJBA RR membership $100
RR race entry $ 75
NJBA Competition membership $150
Am I right????
Jim
that's the way i'm reading the newsletter, but??? hopefully, willis will say yay or nay... but i think that's correct.
njba competition membership is simply a full membership. from what willis posted, i would guess that you only have to add the extra 50 for the full membership when you're ready to compete.
for those that have not done it, there is a BIG difference between running rr laps and/or qualifying on saturday, and elimination rounds on sunday. no amount of practice will completely prepare you for eliminations. lots of us can help you get ready to go in the water, tell you what you'll need to do on the rope, explain the lights, etc. you can practice lots. but when you're out there and it's win or go home, it's different. gets the adrenalin movin'. it makes old guys young and young guys old.

Squirtin Thunder
08-29-2004, 08:48 PM
There is no other feeling like waiting on the rope. In the sun melting. Going over and over what you need to do. Praying everthing works right, you work right, there is no strange chop or misterious waves. Hoping it will start. The felling when the engine lights, the tingling in your feet. At times I would say it is better than sex. I am getting butterflies just talking about it.
Jim
Just my memories

UBFJ #454
08-30-2004, 06:55 AM
Mike Sampica asked me to ask if anyone would like to borrow his XL Lifeline (non parachute) Jacket for the next race ... If so, post up and we'll bring it. It was last Cert'd in '02 and is still in Lifeline packing.

bp
08-30-2004, 11:04 AM
jak, i think ya oughtta just bring it anyways, just in case. ya just never know if someone might need it.

steelcomp
08-30-2004, 06:56 PM
One thing that cought me off guard last year was how long you end up sitting in the boat waiting to launch. It was pretty hot last year, and I didn't have any water or anything, and by the time I launched and went to the rope, I wasn't feeling so well. Too hot. For you first timers, make sure you have a way to stay hydrated and shaded if possible during the wait. If it's real hot, bring an umbrella. Am I right guys? I finally figured out that I could sit on the back of my Expedition with the hatch open, in the shade w/ the AC on 'till the last minute. Aaahhh!
Sounds like there's going to be a big turn out for the RR class, and the wait can be pretty long, with your gear on, sitting in the sun. Don't even want to think of what it's like with a full driver's suit on, or in a capsule.
steel

77charger
08-30-2004, 07:27 PM
One thing that cought me off guard last year was how long you end up sitting in the boat waiting to launch. It was pretty hot last year, and I didn't have any water or anything, and by the time I launched and went to the rope, I wasn't feeling so well. Too hot. For you first timers, make sure you have a way to stay hydrated and shaded if possible during the wait. If it's real hot, bring an umbrella. Am I right guys? I finally figured out that I could sit on the back of my Expedition with the hatch open, in the shade w/ the AC on 'till the last minute. Aaahhh!
Sounds like there's going to be a big turn out for the RR class, and the wait can be pretty long, with your gear on, sitting in the sun. Don't even want to think of what it's like with a full driver's suit on, or in a capsule.
steel
I know the feeling but hot was at chowchilla last july.I always took water with me in my boat since i had 4 seats and pockets on the side of the seats.I also had to sit on the rope when afueler crashed was about 45 min to an hour time in 110 degree heat.My pit crew sent an umbrella with the jet ski crew and they brought it to me which helped.Another thing i would do is water down my shirt before hittin the water and sit in the truck til last minute with all gear on

UBFJ #454
08-30-2004, 07:56 PM
Bob - Your right ... We'll bring it.

Squirtin Thunder
08-30-2004, 08:06 PM
Hot is all part of the game. That is why they make cool suits. Nothing worse than a bottle getting air and flying up into your scoop. Take preparations before the race get plenty of sleep two - three days before. Work on hydration well before the race.

565edge
08-30-2004, 08:14 PM
I sod my boat to a guy named phil who put a smaller motor in it.Bought a 22' daytona that i am now selling to buy a house.I have big plans for next year.

Cs19
08-30-2004, 10:11 PM
Mike Sampica asked me to ask if anyone would like to borrow his XL Lifeline (non parachute) Jacket for the next race ... If so, post up and we'll bring it. It was last Cert'd in '02 and is still in Lifeline packing.
So whos going to be driving if Jims not going to be needing his jacket?

Cs19
08-30-2004, 10:14 PM
Willis, can you get us the total pricing for RR, I dont think we cleared that up yet.

UBFJ #454
08-30-2004, 11:26 PM
Mike drives our open boat ... Jim never has ... Jim has his own boat, but, has quit racing as he got to be to fast (7.54 second at 140 something @ Red Bluff 2 yrs ago) and didn't want to go the capsule route ... He has now detuned his motor, moved his steering back over to the left, put in his right seat, put his big tanks back in and only runs the boat on the lake now.
What Mike's offering to loan someone is his non parachute jacket that he wore back when he was racing in RR.

Cs19
08-31-2004, 07:58 AM
Oh i see Jak. Ya i meant to say Mike S. I was tired and not thinking clearly, thanks for the clarification. I thought you may be getting behind the wheel after reading one of your posts on another board from a while back, didnt you mention you want to drive at some point later down the road?

Willis
08-31-2004, 06:06 PM
Willis, can you get us the total pricing for RR, I dont think we cleared that up yet.
August 31, 2004
cs19, The only thing I can do is post what the NJBA leadership passed out to its membership. :argue:
You will find the actual fees to help potential new racers. The club is meeting the new people with open arms and they will find itÂ’s a great deal. Come and have fun with us.
Read page one of the newsletter. It has all the answers to these questions.
Willis

bp
09-01-2004, 05:49 AM
jak, as i recall from standing on the bank at red bluff and watching jim make that pass, he ran 139 and change at 7.54, which was a heckuva pass.
chris, i think if jak ever drives, he'll have a chute, not a no-chute...

UBFJ #454
09-01-2004, 06:08 AM
cs19 -
Mike's driving the remainder of this year as we are still "Dialing The Boat In" and will be doing so throughout the remainder of the year. I'll drive when we move into to a capsule as Mike doesn't particularily want to "Drive Under Glass" all the time (though he wants to occassionally). Though we are in the early stage of tooling up for constructing the capsule, not sure at this point if it will be installed into The "Black Mamba" or another lighter weight boat. At this point, the earliest I can see us in a capsule boat is mid next year ..... If a Serious Sponsor "Steps Up To The Plate" over winter to help defray costs we might make it in time for the start of next season ... Plans for the Lightweight Capsule are now being Finalized and work on it is progressing as money is available so we'll just have to wait and see.
Our Primary Focus Now Is, And Will Remain So The Remainder of This Year, Continuing To Dial The "Black Mamba" In, Learning What She "Likes" In Terms of Her Keel & Running Hardware and Winning Races In The NJBA's UBFJ Class. The Capsule Rig is Purely Secondary To That ... At least as far as the Race Team is concerned.