PDA

View Full Version : Why the Olympics suck...

HighRoller
08-25-2004, 01:45 PM
Switzerland has a beach volleyball team but no beaches!
An Israeli won the windsurfing competition? Since when is windsurfing a competitive sport? And where do you windsurf in Israel?
The favorite to win the 100M women's hurdles was from Champaign, IL. She was running for Canada. Stupid biatch T-boned the first hurdle. Serves her right.
The favorite to win the 400M race was the woman from the Bahamas. She lives in South Carolina.
The whole deal is a big fraud.

RiverDave
08-25-2004, 01:48 PM
Is there anything you do like?
RD

Tom Brown
08-25-2004, 01:50 PM
The quality of the olympic games started going down hill when Vince McMahon became involved.

eliminatedsprinter
08-25-2004, 01:53 PM
Dang HighRoller, why do you have to inject so much nationalism into it. It's sport. Can't you just enjoy the great performances. Shoot, those girls opting to compete for smaller nations teams, allowed 2 more of our girls to go.
P.S. If you ever tried windsurfing, you would know how tough it is to go like those folks do.

Tom Foolery
08-25-2004, 01:56 PM
An Israeli won the windsurfing competition? Since when is windsurfing a competitive sport? And where do you windsurf in Israel?
Isreal not only has windsurfing but regular surfing too.

HighRoller
08-25-2004, 02:09 PM
Dang HighRoller, why do you have to inject so much nationalism into it. It's sport. Can't you just enjoy the great performances. Shoot those girls opting to compete for smaller nations teams, allowed 2 more of our girls to go.
P.S. If you ever tried windsurfing, you would know how tough it is to go like those folks do.
So what you're saying is that the Olympics isn't about nationalism? Hmm... here's your sign :rolleyes:

cigarette1
08-25-2004, 02:27 PM
RD
Right On
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Ducatista
08-25-2004, 02:31 PM
The favorite to win the 100M women's hurdles was from Champaign, IL. She was running for Canada. Stupid biatch T-boned the first hurdle. Serves her right.
The favorite to win the 400M race was the woman from the Bahamas. She lives in South Carolina.
Another "dang" HighRoller....I agree with eliminatedsprinter. The other day you were complaining about condoms and transgender people making the Olympic's a low class event, or something to that effect. Try looking past all that crap and enjoy/appreciate the athletes themselves. Their skills, their commitment to try to be the best in the world at something, their sacrafice, its awe inspiring. Don't let that other crap take away from whats really going on, the best competing against the best. They have a choice as to who they represent for whatever reason, its no biggie. They don't control the venue, or the activites allowed, they just compete. I know its not perfect, and I do understand your attitude towards some of the crud, but I just love it. But then again I think Poker should be allowed! :rolleyes: (not really)

totenhosen
08-25-2004, 02:32 PM
First of all you need to get a geography lesson and along with that a clue in regards to Israeli.
Why does your country need to have a beach to play beach volleyball. Hell it might as well be called sand volleyball.
Second who cares where they live it jsut shows you they know the country where they are citizens of sucks and they would rather live here.

welk2party
08-25-2004, 02:35 PM
Many Olympic athletes live and practice their sport in other countries. When the games come around, they represent their respective country. It does not bother me than an Israeli can enjoy and be good at surfing.

spectratoad
08-25-2004, 03:28 PM
I seem to remember that when I was in the Navy we went to Isreal and you usually need a shoreline to get a ship close to a country. I will have to look at a map to confirm though. :hammer2:

eliminatedsprinter
08-25-2004, 03:36 PM
So what you're saying is that the Olympics isn't about nationalism? Hmm... here's your sign :rolleyes:
Yes and no. P. Coubertin founded the games in part to encourage French nationalism, hence the flag raising during the medal presentations. However, they wanted to discourage national rivalries, which is why there is no official olympic national medal count (it is expressly banned under olympic rules). So while nationalism is a part of the games, it is secondary to the sprit of competition (friendly competition of the worlds best athletes is the games main goal). In some ways, having athletes who train and live in other countries, that have tons of great athletes, compete for smaller nations, helps to insure that the best will be there.
Look, I ran college track here in So Cal and one of the best things about that, for me as an americian, was the fact that many of the best athletes in the world also came here to live and train. I was never an olympic or even national class runner, but I did get to train with and compete with and agianst the worlds best atheletes on a regular basis, because of what you seem to think is a problem. In 1884 I watched our olympic trials from the track as a coach. I have had several friends and or team mates who have become olympians. None of them minded one bit if any of the people they had to compete against all year chose to run for another country. Nor did they care if some silly fan got their drawers in a bunch ;) over what uniform they wore. :D
Try looking at it this way. Tonight the foavorite in the 400m hurdles is a guy who was born in New York, raised in So. Cal, ran track for USC, and will be running for the Dominician Republic. Because of that, one more Ameician gets to go to the games and have the expieriance of a lifetime. Plus this guy is, next to Sammy Sossa, their most popular National hero and he lives in and loves the U.S. That kind of PR can't be bought and sure as hell does the U.S. more good than one medal in a competition, that doesn't even keep national medal counts. :D Hell, It could only be better if he was a Republician. :wink: :wink: :wink:

totenhosen
08-25-2004, 03:42 PM
Try looking at it this way. Tonight the foavorite in the 400m hurdles is a guy who was born in New York, raised in So. Cal, ran track for USC, and will be running for the Dominician Republic. Because of that one more Ameician gets to go to the games and have the expieriance of a lifetime.
He has dual citizenship, good for him and the fact that he gets to experience the Olympics firsthand. I was in a similar situation a few years back. Being that both my parents are German citizens but I was born in the US I ahve dual citizenship. I used that to my advantage and after college go to play pro b-ball in Germany. I even was inviting to the Olympic trials for Germany but than blew me knee out 2 months before.
I was in no way good enough to play for the US team but if given the chance to play for Germany I would have. And why the hell not?

Jeanyus
08-25-2004, 03:46 PM
The beach volley ball that I saw was being played indoors.
Jut be happy that they don't have gernade throwing or machine gun shooting, the Isrealies would be a shoe in, for the gold.

Tom Brown
08-25-2004, 03:50 PM
All I know is this whole Olympic thing has made me furious. Furious! :mad:
In fact, I'm going to take a break from the keyboard for a few minutes to cool down. This whole thing is bullshit.

totenhosen
08-25-2004, 03:52 PM
All I know is this whole Olympic thing has made me furious. Furious! :mad:
In fact, I'm going to take a break from the keyboard for a few minutes to cool down. This whole thing is bullshit.
care to explain why?

eliminatedsprinter
08-25-2004, 03:59 PM
The beach volley ball that I saw was being played indoors.
Jut be happy that they don't have gernade throwing or machine gun shooting, the Isrealies would be a shoe in, for the gold.
Perhaps. But they do have the guy who is in my book the greatest hero of the modern games. It's the shot putter/ discus thrower who held the door shut with his last breaths, while bullets went through his body, so some of his team members could escape out the window from Yassar Arafat's "Black September" thugs in 72!!

572Daytona
08-25-2004, 04:00 PM
care to explain why?
Maybe because Belarus (just where in the hell is that anyway?) is ahead of Canada in the medal count :wink: Just wait until the ice volleyball , or the Molsen drinking events then they will show us what they are made of

Tom Brown
08-25-2004, 04:00 PM
care to explain why?
I really can't. I was following HighRoller's lead.

eliminatedsprinter
08-25-2004, 04:12 PM
I really can't. I was following HighRoller's lead.
And besides, your Tom Brown, man of mystery and intrigue... :wink: Who is as often as not, just yanking our chains... :2purples: I can't see a guy like you (from reading your often hilarious posts :D ) getting your drawers all in a bunch over sports and games...Unless..... Perhaps there was money or some big ass brain muffens riding on it? :wink:

Ntwotrance
08-25-2004, 04:18 PM
I think all in all the beach volleyball rocked (actually the women were wearing their bottoms half way up their ass...I mean unless you're gay, you have to love watching them)....let's take a closer look at this shall we??
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1146untitled.bmp
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1146untitled2.bmp
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1146untitled3.bmp
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1146untitled4.bmp
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1146untitled6.bmp
and my all time favorite
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1146untitled5.bmp
Look at this for what it is, an international event that fills in the void before football season... :)

eliminatedsprinter
08-25-2004, 04:23 PM
If only they had butts as round as the ladies track atheletes....

Ntwotrance
08-25-2004, 04:25 PM
If only they had butts as round as the ladies track atheletes....
true, but I'll take what I can

eliminatedsprinter
08-25-2004, 04:30 PM
true, but I'll take what I can
Now that's a great attitude. :cool: Obviously a true lover of the game!! :D

AZKC
08-25-2004, 04:41 PM
And I thought you were edumacated, more like medicated :notam:
Israel's four seas (the Mediterranean, the Sea of Galilee, the Dead Sea, and the Red Sea) offer an amazing variety of swimming experiences. The beaches of Israel look beautiful, but be careful about going in the water. Unusually strong riptides, whirlpools, and undertows along the Mediterranean coast can claim the strongest swimmer. Never swim in unguarded areas. Along much of the coast, especially north of Tel Aviv, the beaches seem sandy, but a few steps into the surf, and you're standing on a rocky shelf-not a good place to be when waves come crashing down.

Debbolas
08-25-2004, 06:58 PM
RD
I was Just thinking............what an angry young man :coffeycup

dbddbd
08-25-2004, 06:58 PM
YOu are so right HIGHROLLER, USA USA USA, where do east euros go when they hit GOLD big?....................... See above ^ ^ ^ He's not angry just calling it as he sees it. I love the Olympiad, but there is great Hypocracy in it. 15 of 17 Greek Baseball players are American and 8 of 15 Greek Soccer women are American! LOL

Essex502
08-26-2004, 05:57 AM
I've already said in another thread that I thought the Olympics was bloated...
Badminton?
Shooting?
The Olympics at BLOATED.

Backtanner
08-26-2004, 06:24 AM
I'm waiting to see what new olympic winter sports are coming. Perhaps olympic ice sculpting, olympic snowman building, or snowball fight (both individual and team). If so, my money will be on the Kenyan team.

FunOnTheWater
08-26-2004, 06:30 AM
You have a to like a few events, not to mention we are kicking ass on metals :eek:

HighRoller
08-26-2004, 06:55 AM
First of all, the israel comment was a JOKE people. Geez. As far as people from other countries representing other countries, it's a joke! It represents a very disturbing trend, See, I have this screwed up idea of what being an "American" means. I'm being piled on because I object to people using our great nation like a ***** and then running home to another country and treating it like their wife.
I'm sorry, but when someone lives in this country, enjoys its freedoms and benefits, and then flies the flag of another nation during a competition I take it very personally. Too many people gave way too much to establish, protect and refine our way of life in America for some idiot to spit on our flag. And when you invest your pride and effort in another country while living here, that's spitting on our country. What ever happened to things like LOYALTY and PRIDE in your country? Have we been reduced to a nation of freeloaders all trying to milk America for what she has to offer without offering anything in return? Well, this place didn't become great because of those who TOOK from it. It became the greatest nation because of those who GAVE something. What do these people "give" to our country? Nothing. I bet some of the same people who piled on me would be pissed if a neighbor waved a huge Mexican flag next door.
Either you're an American, or you're not. In the old days, people who displayed the flag of another country were called "traitors", not foreign nationals. But if you all think it's okay for these people to betray our country everytime the Olympics rolls around, who am I to complain. Just realize that when a serious conflict arises, and we need every able body in the country to defend ourselves, they'll do the same thing because they have nothing invested in this country. :idea:

cigarette1
08-26-2004, 07:14 AM
Seek help Bro ... you've got some serious issues that need attention :idea:

coolchange
08-26-2004, 07:32 AM
"In 1884 I watched our olympic trials from the track as a coach."
Dam fine rant there sprinter,specialy for an old guy!
Wanna talk about effed up olympics? A white guy won the 40m dash!!!!!

Essex502
08-26-2004, 07:41 AM
I think you mean 400m run. One of the other competitors said after the race and I quote: "That's the fastest white guy I ever seen!" IF a white guy had said: "That's the fastest black guy I ever saw!" Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, et. al. would be calling him a racist. Actually, the runner that won the 400 trained under Michael Johnson - a black guy, if you don't know. Racism sucks at the Olympics too.
What about the Iranian wrestler who refused to wrestle the Israeli? Politics and racism have no place at the Olympics. In fact, I think that countries shouldn't be "represented" at all. Strickly athletes. No teams. No team sports. Individual events.

coolchange
08-26-2004, 07:51 AM
It wasn't meant as a racial slur,but as a comment about unusual happenings at the games. i love it when someone comes out of right field and shines.
I dont care where they're from or thier politics, as long as the best in the world get to compete.
Doh! first time in 40 yrs. for the 400.

totenhosen
08-26-2004, 07:54 AM
First of all, the israel comment was a JOKE people. Geez. As far as people from other countries representing other countries, it's a joke! It represents a very disturbing trend, See, I have this screwed up idea of what being an "American" means. I'm being piled on because I object to people using our great nation like a ***** and then running home to another country and treating it like their wife.
I'm sorry, but when someone lives in this country, enjoys its freedoms and benefits, and then flies the flag of another nation during a competition I take it very personally. Too many people gave way too much to establish, protect and refine our way of life in America for some idiot to spit on our flag. And when you invest your pride and effort in another country while living here, that's spitting on our country. What ever happened to things like LOYALTY and PRIDE in your country? Have we been reduced to a nation of freeloaders all trying to milk America for what she has to offer without offering anything in return? Well, this place didn't become great because of those who TOOK from it. It became the greatest nation because of those who GAVE something. What do these people "give" to our country? Nothing. I bet some of the same people who piled on me would be pissed if a neighbor waved a huge Mexican flag next door.
Either you're an American, or you're not. In the old days, people who displayed the flag of another country were called "traitors", not foreign nationals. But if you all think it's okay for these people to betray our country everytime the Olympics rolls around, who am I to complain. Just realize that when a serious conflict arises, and we need every able body in the country to defend ourselves, they'll do the same thing because they have nothing invested in this country. :idea:
So are you saying people shouldn't be proud of where they are from and their history? A person can't be a good American while having pride in who they are? BTW what boat or plane did your forefathers come on? I know we ALL came from somewhere else but here.

superdave013
08-26-2004, 08:33 AM
Yeah, the games suck and I just hated watching them. yeah right :confused:
Here's a few highlights that no one in their right mind would want to see. ;)
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20040815/capt.sge.amz06.150804232335.photo00.default-271x380.jpg
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040815/i/r2047739944.jpg
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040815/i/r930660603.jpg
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040814/capt.olyten10608141223.greece_olympics_tennis_olyt en106.jpg

eliminatedsprinter
08-26-2004, 08:52 AM
Yep, a white guy won the 400, a white chick won the 100, and white guys took 1rst and 2nd in the triple jump. News flash, it appears we can run and jump afterall. :D ;)

eliminatedsprinter
08-26-2004, 09:26 AM
Spoken like a true Democrat ;) with lots of emotion and very little logic. :rolleyes: ;) Man my head is spinning from all these wildly emotional exaggerations.. :rollside: :)
In the Olympics the individual nation's sports federations make the rules on who can be on their teams. Some nations will let the children of their citizens represent them in the games. Do you really think that just accepting a trip to the OLympics (one of the greatest oppertunities one can get) from another country is spitting on our flag etc??
Suppose an Americian who has lived and been trained in business here in the U.S. goes to work for a company from another country and helps them compete aginst our companies in buisness where the results (jobs, money, etc) are real and not just a medal or certificate etc... Should they get stripped of their citizenship or jail time or what???
If you stop thinking like an emotional fan and apply the same cool headed logic to this, that I know you do to business and politics etc, you will see that it is really a non issue...Relax, enjoy the performances and say to yourself it's only a game, it's only a game, it's only a game...If you keep thinking of these events in wildly exaggerated terms, like you stated above, you will drive yourself nuts and find it impossible to enjoy them at all... :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Jetboatguru
08-26-2004, 10:16 AM
Not piling on here but this just reminded me of the late Vic Morrow in the Twilight Zone Movie when he is drunk in the bar ranting about being an American after he lost his job to a Jewish worker.

HighRoller
08-26-2004, 10:28 AM
So are you saying people shouldn't be proud of where they are from and their history? A person can't be a good American while having pride in who they are? BTW what boat or plane did your forefathers come on? I know we ALL came from somewhere else but here.
I never said they shouldn't be proud of their heritage. But your citizenship in this country trumps your heritage. BTW, I have an idea of where my ancestors came from, but if you ask me what nationality I am I have a simple answer. AMERICAN. Not German-American, African-American....American. Period. I didn't come from anywhere else but here. :smile:

Jetboatguru
08-26-2004, 10:31 AM
Can we just see more pics of Girl Volleyball player butts? :eek: :eek:

HalletDave
08-26-2004, 11:01 AM
What he said but a little more of the hard nips and bulging love mounds are good too. ;) :D

totenhosen
08-26-2004, 11:41 AM
I never said they shouldn't be proud of their heritage. But your citizenship in this country trumps your heritage. BTW, I have an idea of where my ancestors came from, but if you ask me what nationality I am I have a simple answer. AMERICAN. Not German-American, African-American....American. Period. I didn't come from anywhere else but here. :smile:
But one can be citizens of two countries! Who says the athletes living here and competing for another country are US citizens?

eliminatedsprinter
08-26-2004, 11:42 AM
So, if one of the countries your ansestors are from offerd to sponser you and let you drive their boat in a world powerboating compitition or if one of their companies offered you your absolute dream job that you have worked incredibly hard for years to get, you would turn it down because your an Americian?????
BTW this is nothing new. The athetes in the ancient greek games represented their city states and much more was on the line. Much weath was bestowed on the city states that produced olympic winners and they went to great lengths to deveolpe winning professional atheletes (men and women). They also went to great lengths to, buy or lure top atheletes away from other city states.

Essex502
08-26-2004, 11:46 AM
It wasn't meant as a racial slur,but as a comment about unusual happenings at the games. i love it when someone comes out of right field and shines.
I dont care where they're from or thier politics, as long as the best in the world get to compete.
Doh! first time in 40 yrs. for the 400.
No, I don't think it was intended as a racial slur either but neither was Howard Cosell's comment about Art Monk or Jimmy the Greek's comment or any of many comments that are said in truth but always played as a racial card. The point I was making is that nobody got upset with a black athlete saying what he did.

superdave013
08-26-2004, 12:17 PM
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040815/i/r2295937098.jpg
swimming anyone?
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040812/i/r1998795760.jpg

superdave013
08-26-2004, 12:20 PM
field hockey please!
http://www.rabobankcompetitie.nl/uploads/26/UPL_24472.jpg
http://www.rabobankcompetitie.nl/uploads/26/UPL_24461.jpg
http://www.rabobankcompetitie.nl/uploads/26/UPL_24540.jpg

eliminatedsprinter
08-26-2004, 12:23 PM
But one can be citizens of two countries! Who says the athletes living here and competing for another country are US citizens?
Some are and some are not, but who cares. Not the IOC. The flags are raised as a nice gesture to the country who took the effort to send the medalists to the games, nothing more. There is no official Olympic national medal count. There is no award for the country who gets the most winners. The IOC could care less what country any one Joe Schmoe competes for, as long as they follow the rules. Just because some people in the press and some fans want to turn the olymipcs into a war or a display of national merit, dosen't mean the IOC should treat it like one of those things. The modern Olympics is supposed to be an entertaining international competition that is fun to watch and participate in. It is also supposed to be in the spirit of friendly competition. For the most part it is. There are no traitors in the games unless they cheat. Running for a country you don't live in is not agianst any of the rules and the men and women who have in the past and presenlty work supper hard to keep this event going have never (to my knowledge) tried to make it one. The IOC has it's hands full just trying to prevent cheating and make the Olympics safe, and successfull. They can't try to please every fan, especially those who want to interject wildly exaggerated nationalistic rivalry into the games...

Debbolas
08-26-2004, 03:37 PM
US Women just won Olympic Gold for Soccer!!!!!!!
WOO HOO!!
USA USA USA
:cool:

Dr. Eagle
08-26-2004, 06:22 PM
RD
That is the question.... :2purples:

Debbolas
08-26-2004, 07:47 PM
So, are we Doomed?
:cry:

fkeys
08-26-2004, 08:07 PM
What pisses me off about the olympics is that most of the gymnasts, divers, swimmers, track & field and volley ballers live and train in the US!!!! What's up with that?!? If they live, train, get educated AND are proud to be Americans, then why do they compete against the US in the world arena?? Political correctness sucks :mad:

Dr. Eagle
08-26-2004, 09:04 PM
So, are we Doomed?
:cry:
Of Course.........
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!

Debbolas
08-26-2004, 09:14 PM
D O O O O M E D ! ! ! !

eliminatedsprinter
08-27-2004, 08:16 AM
What pisses me off about the olympics is that most of the gymnasts, divers, swimmers, track & field and volley ballers live and train in the US!!!! What's up with that?!? If they live, train, get educated AND are proud to be Americans, then why do they compete against the US in the world arena?? Political correctness sucks :mad:
Political correctness has nothing to do with it. It has been going on for a long time and it will cont because all the atheletes and coaches like it that way. When I was running track here in So Cal way back in the stone age of the 70s and the early 80s all of us loved the fact that we got to train and compete with the worlds best. Our coaches used to climb all over each other to get athletes from all over the world to come here, and train with us. In the Olympics you don't compete against us. You compete aginst the world. If you are a serious competitor, you get there however you can. I have never heard an athelete whine about this, only fans.