PDA

View Full Version : Question for FOURQ paging FOURQ

Prop Rod
08-26-2004, 10:59 AM
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/0/74703750.htm
I was told your family owned southwind boats. I recently found this and was surprised by the year and lay-up. Could you shed any info on this deal? Thanks.

dmontzsta
08-26-2004, 11:10 AM
It is definately a sweeet cruiser. And the fact that it is a V Drive is better.

moneysucker
08-26-2004, 11:12 AM
This has already been up here. The last SW I year I have seen is 82 and that is Petrofied. Also they never made any V drives. But I am sure that is what Four Q or Nuckin Futz will tell you.

Prop Rod
08-26-2004, 11:19 AM
i thought it was pretty cool as well. Its only a blown small block 383cid. The owner says it runs about 85mph. I'm just not sure about the pad bottom at cruising speed. I'm a little afraid that the rougher water is going to slap the bottom of that pad and give a bad ride. Dont really want to put the plates way far down either. hhhhmmmm :idea:

dmontzsta
08-26-2004, 11:34 AM
This has already been up here. The last SW I year I have seen is 82 and that is Petrofied. Also they never made any V drives. But I am sure that is what Four Q or Nuckin Futz will tell you.
I am pretty sure FourQ told me they made a few V Drives, they even made 3 flatbottoms at one time, but the rigging was a pain, so they stuck with jets.

FOURQ
08-26-2004, 11:58 AM
we never made a v-drive....wid did make a few flaties but we didnt rig them..that boat couldnt posibly be a Southwind being a 1992..a sweet ride but i dont think it's a true southwind posibly a splash of the 20.
ask nuckin futs he has had contact with the owner
4Q

Prop Rod
08-26-2004, 01:21 PM
thanks fourQ, i pm'd nuckin futs. hopefully i'll hear back from him soon!
Thanks for all the info guys!

Nucking futs
08-26-2004, 01:54 PM
I as well was interested in this boat.It says on the title that it is made by southwind.Never such a company,it was jen-craft.As for the handling of the boat i could only imagine how it would ride as my 20' is a bit jumpy in the rough stuff but thats the way i like to drive.The owner claimed he had that made out of the southwind mold and he knows where it is.Well i said,tell me cuz whoever had that mold might know the tunnel mold is and he would not tell me.This boat is at a broker and is looking turn it fast.I would really like to drive the boat and see how it handled.But that is as much info i could get out of him.When it was first posted it said it was a 2004,so i emailed them and the very next day it was a 92.So i called again and asked for the hin # and he said it was a #27 and thats it.Somthin aint right about this deal and i would be carefull cuz i really wanted to go get it but thought the better of it.
It is a real bithen boat and the fact that it is a v-drive makes it that much better,but i better stick to the jets i know where they came from.I also asked who rigged it and it was a rick larson or sombody like that , so ask any delta guys that run v-drives if they ever heard of them.
If i had the cash laying around it would have been bought 3 weeks ago,but oh well im gunna pass on it....Tim.

78Southwind
08-26-2004, 03:34 PM
Here's the old thread. BTW I looked at my old Pink Slip for my Southwind and it has the builder as Southiwnd but the hull number is JNC which is Southiwnd by JemCraft. You think they would have put JemCraft as the builder on the Pink Slip too.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54624
Nucking Futs I thought you were going for a test drive in that boat last weekend? What happend you got me all excited?

78Southwind
08-26-2004, 03:50 PM
I had talked to someone from Marina Boat Sales and they told me that the HIN # was 39 WTF. The number must change daily. They said that it was built from the 20 Southwind mold. I asked if they would go out and look at the transom for the HIN and they said there was no HIN on the boat.

Nucking futs
08-26-2004, 04:33 PM
Yea i was,but the owner was reall hush hush on all the questions i was asking.After talking with the owner he said he wanted to build a hot rod and the boat was too fast for his wife.Hell at best he would run 80-85 with a small block in it,and thats about where im at with my jet so i will just let someone else dael with the mess.
Still think the boat looks cool but after talking with proprod he got a differnt story so good luck to who ever gets it and hope its everything the owner claims.It has real nice stuff in it,proprd said that they have 24lbs. of boost to that little 383.If thats the case it wont last long.I have some pics to look at as soon as i get them....... tim

Prop Rod
08-26-2004, 05:21 PM
P8180067.jpg (62.8 KB, 0 views)
P8180063.jpg (55.5 KB, 0 views)
P8180066.jpg (58.6 KB, 0 views)

Prop Rod
08-26-2004, 05:23 PM
Sh!t, sorry

78Southwind
08-26-2004, 05:45 PM
Digitally enhanced the transom and I came up with a HIN of BBB who’s BBB?

LakesOnly
08-26-2004, 07:46 PM
The last SW I year I have seen is 82 and that is Petrofied.
I believe it was Petrofied that I spoke to about this and he said his is NOT a Southwind, but actually a splash of a Southwind. (It was advertised as a Southwind.)
I know of only one 1982 Southwind that came out of a true Southwind mold...and that is my boat.
:D So, nya nya nyaaaaa. :D
LO

78Southwind
08-26-2004, 07:52 PM
I believe it was Petrofied that I spoke to about this and he said his is NOT a Southwind, but actually a splash of a Southwind. (It was advertised as a Southwind.)
I know of only one 1982 Southwind that came out of a true Southwind mold...and that is my boat.
:D So, nya nya nyaaaaa. :D
LO
Hey LO
Who built your boat?

LakesOnly
08-26-2004, 08:42 PM
Hey LO
Who built your boat?
The subsequent owner of the company after the "Futts and 4Q" family sold it. Company barely stayed alive after the business was transferred; they can tell you the story offline, I'm sure (it's a horryfying one...).
I looked at the CBBB list and saw Petrofied listed his boat as an '82. I anxiously PM'd him hoping to compare and contrast the similarities and differences of our boats...but alas, I have still to find another 1982 that really came from the original SW mold(s). I am on this mission because my hull number is 10082. Since 100 boats are not laid up, cured and pulled from a mold in a year by any decent builder of a boat this size, (maybe 50 quality layups can be made in a mold over that time), this means that my '82 is either the first one out or the only one ever made in 1982. This is further an unknown due to it's unusual make-up of various raw components that are normally recipes of different southwind hulls...it has tunnel stringers and parquette covering, no floor, very thin top, etc. USCG data supports the possibility. Not to mention that if 100 were actually made in 1982, we would have all surely seen more than just one. I just can't quite confirm that it's one-of-a-kind...:(...but I sure do love it. Any leads welcome...
LO

78Southwind
08-26-2004, 09:42 PM
The subsequent owner of the company after the "Futts and 4Q" family sold it. Company barely stayed alive after the business was transferred; they can tell you the story offline, I'm sure (it's a horryfying one...).
I looked at the CBBB list and saw Petrofied listed his boat as an '82. I anxiously PM'd him hoping to compare and contrast the similarities and differences of our boats...but alas, I have still to find another 1982 that really came from the original SW mold(s). I am on this mission because my hull number is 10082. Since 100 boats are not laid up, cured and pulled from a mold in a year by any decent builder of a boat this size, (maybe 50 quality layups can be made in a mold over that time), this means that my '82 is either the first one out or the only one ever made in 1982. This is further an unknown due to it's unusual make-up of various raw components that are normally recipes of different southwind hulls...it has tunnel stringers and parquette covering, no floor, very thin top, etc. USCG data supports the possibility. Not to mention that if 100 were actually made in 1982, we would have all surely seen more than just one. I just can't quite confirm that it's one-of-a-kind...:(...but I sure do love it. Any leads welcome...
LO
It looks like your Southwind is definitely one of a kind. I will keep my eyes open for any other 82's.
Did the builder continue with the Southwind name or did they have to come up with a new HIN? Mine is JNC for JenCraft.

Jake W
08-27-2004, 04:58 AM
Lakes their was a guy on hear a few months ago that had a Southwind like yours for sale.It was Yellow and burgandy or purple.I rember it because I had never saw a Southwind like that befor.Mabey some one will see this and rember it or his user name.It had its own thread when it was for sale.
Jake

Mr Twister
08-27-2004, 05:36 AM
Nucking futs-My 79 TD has a hin starting with BXE and the tag by the shifter says Southwind by bellco, Kileen Texas. Also the title says Southwind. So I'm kinda confused.

Nucking futs
08-27-2004, 07:07 AM
We made the swtd in killeen texas too.It is a real one,mark connel wanted a shop closer to his place so they opened up and it is the same boat.They made all the boats except for the 20' cruiser.Thay all say southwind but with a hin# to match,what i was talking about was the hin # on this boat only had 2 numbers and no letters on the reg.

roostwear
08-27-2004, 07:29 AM
Nice boat, but v-drive and too much V for me. The lack of info sounds shaky to me, I pass on "deals" like this when they don't feel right, too.
http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/3173052/74703750_1.jpg

LakesOnly
08-27-2004, 07:33 AM
Did the builder continue with the Southwind name or did they have to come up with a new HIN? Mine is JNC for JenCraft.
Builder continued with Southwind name. My boat is registered as a Southwind. The HIN changes because a new manufacturer took over the company.
Nucking futs-My 79 TD has a hin starting with BXE and the tag by the shifter says Southwind by bellco, Kileen Texas. Also the title says Southwind. So I'm kinda confused.
Futts, if I may:
Guys, the first three do not necessarily mean that the boat is different. The JNC's came out of Orange, CA and I supppose the BXE's came from the Texas plant. And they are both Southwinds, came from Southwind molds, etc. Several boats that came from the same molds and were all marketed under the same name have different HIN lettering. This is for to USCG to identify and track the exact origin of every boat. Tracability.
Incidentally, with some boat manufacturers, looking at the HIN can also help you find a good lay-up and/or identify if you should pass on that specific boat...if at some point a boat maker that had the molds was turning out bad boats.
And yes, sometimes a manufacturer may acquire a mold from another and then sell it under its own name.
LO

Mrs. Psycho Squid
08-27-2004, 08:18 AM
LO
LO, you might want to get your facts straight. Mr. P doesn't remember talking to you. Are you sure it wasn't Moneysucker? Our hull is # 10182. Currently Mr. P is laying up 3 boats. We have access to several different molds. It does not mean that it is a splash, they all come out of the same molds and layed up by the same glassguy. The boating community is very small and usually will "share" molds as a marketing strategy.
Mrs. P

pops1
08-27-2004, 10:19 AM
It is definately a sweeet cruiser. And the fact that it is a V Drive is better. Being this is a Jet Drive Section- Shirt in the avitar should read PUMP or Squirt This, or something- Not slow get around to ya, When I get it my stuffing box fixed in three months stuff. V-Drive This-NO NO NO
ITS PUMP THIS!
or
SQUIRT THIS!
PS Did you get to run the boat at all or just set on the beach broken this year!
Sorry- It all just pop-ed up so funny to me. Hope thats not you wife or Girl Friend- NA no one puts them in a V Drive Shirt. Having Fun - 30 Years ago I had one of those V Drive things.

superdave013
08-27-2004, 10:30 AM
PS Did you get to run the boat at all or just set on the beach broken this year!
lol, I bet he put more hours on his v drive this year then you did in any kind of boat.
Don't be a hater Pops1.

LakesOnly
08-27-2004, 11:56 AM
LO, you might want to get your facts straight. Mr. P doesn't remember talking to you. Are you sure it wasn't Moneysucker? Our hull is # 10182...
Mrs. P
Mrs. P,
I stand corrected. I just reviewed the RSVP list at the CBBB website and it was mudpumper that I PM'd. I apologize to you and Mr. P about the oversight due to my foggy memory and thank you for the correction.
Based on the HIN of your boat, it appears as though your Southwind was the boat that was made right after mine. I, for one, find this very exciting and wish to know more about your boat.
Is it a T-Deck? Do you have the the tunnel stringers? Or os ot a T/D? Have you weighed your hull? Please post a picture.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/350Southwind_Overhead-med.jpg
Thanks,
LO

Danhercules
08-27-2004, 12:07 PM
Lakes, its a Tunnel. I have seen it at Martenez. NICE EFFIN BOAT!!!!! I will see if I can find some pics.
I found some.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/999petro5-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/954Scan10109-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/954Irvine_6-1-03033-med.jpg
There are some pics on page 30 of the thread, Perfrofied, monysucker and the quack attack in just jets.

Mrs. Psycho Squid
08-27-2004, 01:17 PM
Thanks Dan! This weekend will be her last trip as she is. Her motor is coming out and being put into our new hull. I think we might put a tunnel ram / nitrous motor in Petrofied. Although if I know Mr. P, he'll have a blower on her in no time :D Since I put my foot down and told him we can't have 3 boats we're going to sell Hotdog and only keep the new one and Petrofied. Here's another picture that I dug up.....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/999ski_pass1-med.jpg
And a sneak peak at the new one.......... she should be home next week :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/999DSCN0409.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/999DSCN0394.jpg

LakesOnly
08-27-2004, 02:39 PM
Thanks both of you. I PM'd Petrofied.
Now I wonder: Are these the only boats made in 1982? 1 T-Deck and 1 T/D?
I am currently at the Kentucky Drag Boat Association races. The course was being set up yesterday and today. Lots of Eliminators and Texas Tunnels. High percentage of Ford powered boats out here in NASCAR country. Pic's to follow.
Having a blast,
LO

moneysucker
08-27-2004, 03:03 PM
Petrofied is the boat that I saw that made me buy my first T/D and money sucker My second. I had never even heard of Southwind before then I was finding them in the trader all over. Now my brother Rubber Duck has one also. Come on Mrs. P? You don't think I would ever say that yours was a splash do you? I know for a fact mine isn't Mine was one of the first. The mold had gone to hell by the time it got around to building those 82's 6 years later. JK I am pretty sure they learned a little by then. I gotta go. Super Secret Squirell Manuvers to attend to.

Danhercules
08-27-2004, 03:05 PM
Dont you mean Gerbil secrets?? :D

dmontzsta
08-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Being this is a Jet Drive Section- Shirt in the avitar should read PUMP or Squirt This, or something- Not slow get around to ya, When I get it my stuffing box fixed in three months stuff. V-Drive This-NO NO NO
ITS PUMP THIS!
or
SQUIRT THIS!
Sorry- It all just pop-ed up so funny to me. Hope thats not you wife or Girl Friend- NA no one puts them in a V Drive Shirt. Having Fun - 30 Years ago I had one of those V Drive things.
uhhh...my boat has been consistant for 7 years, never skips a beat.
You will not get a "pump this or squirt this" shirt, cause it is not worthy enough to have a shirt.
BTW: That is my GF/Wife and she knows whats up, I didnt force her to buy that, she bought it on her own.

dmontzsta
08-27-2004, 04:03 PM
lol, I bet he put more hours on his v drive this year then you did in any kind of boat.
Don't be a hater Pops1.
I would put money on that.

WUTWZAT
08-28-2004, 06:37 AM
Lakes Only, I have seen your boat and not matter how many others were actually built, yours is one of a kind. I love those wheelies I guess you could call them that your boat does. We talked a little at CBBB, yellow boat with small block and blue raised Expedition.
As for that orig boat that this thread started talking about running 24lbs of boost. At that rate and running the RPM's required to make the boat go 80 - 85. I don't see that motor ever living past its 200 hour mark. Something like that would need to be pulled and rebuilt at least once a season, thats if your not over-reving it and doing major damage before then. A good resonable amount of boost is in the 14 - 16 lbs neighborhood. Plus in the 24 lbs zone finding a fuel pump, ignition and carb that would accomedate that esp in a marine app is difficult at best.
But thats just me, I run on the river and want to be able to return on my own power. :D But Lakes, your boat is bad ass, I was so impressed with the Ford motor in it I never noticed it was SouthWind. Thats an ever bigger plus from me now.
Jason

Petrofied
08-28-2004, 07:55 AM
Lakes, its a Tunnel. I have seen it at Martenez. NICE EFFIN BOAT!!!!! I will see if I can find some pics.
There are some pics on page 30 of the thread, Perfrofied, monysucker and the quack attack in just jets.Thanks Dan.
MR.P.
P.S. Where you guy's going for Labor Day.

Nucking futs
08-28-2004, 08:57 AM
Hey MR.P,so you gonna be a dealer?What kind of money we talking for one of those tunnels?PM me some info.I rode in Cs19's boat and a loved it,so i think i want one,that blown injected engine will look great in that and should really move out.Well the best of luck with that new toy and hope to hook up some time soon.
Ps... whens the maiden voyage T&T at el cap,i want to go see that thing run.Maybe we can get cs19 to come down too,he would love that place.