PDA

View Full Version : SaltWater GOOD or Bad???

NOTALENT
08-26-2004, 12:09 PM
You always hear people say dont take it in salt water...It screws up your boat...Kachina ken on another thread says..there old wives tales...damn it whats the truth??? :D

Havasu Hangin'
08-26-2004, 12:15 PM
Just wash it off right after...your boat won't know the difference.

Quality Time
08-26-2004, 12:26 PM
Builders build boats for all water conditions including salt. Merc (if that's your choice of power) spends a ton of R & D money on corrosion protection. The boats and motors are made to handle it. The only other concern is the trailer, but if you rinse after you dip, you should not have any problems. Also, as stated above, wash, flush and enjoy a whole new experience in boating :D

KACHINA KEN
08-26-2004, 12:28 PM
Trailers are the most prone to corrosion unless they are galvenizied or aluminum, the truth is that steel box tube used to make the trailers is not treated by any manufacturer I know to be dunked in the salty stuff. They paint it and send it out the door so in all reality even if you have never dunked in salt your trailer is still rusting on the inside of your tubes anyhow. All trailer have drain holes in the tube, thats how water gets in there. Don't worry buddy, I wouldn't make up some stuff just to make you come out to an awesome island paradise. :D

andy01
08-26-2004, 12:33 PM
I used to run my 22' Scarab in the salt and didn't show any wear at all. Just the trailer showed. If you don't clean it right away you can see it start to rust little things on the boat and then the boat will show it after time. Just take it home and give it a good bath and you won't know the difference. Nothing more fun then running the ocean.
Andy

KACHINA KEN
08-26-2004, 12:35 PM
Nothing more fun then running the ocean.
Andy
word.......

BarryMac
08-26-2004, 03:25 PM
good for the skin, bad for the boat...
gjb

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
08-26-2004, 03:27 PM
Once you go salt you will always go back :jawdrop:

v-drive
08-26-2004, 03:31 PM
Trailers eat it but a boat is fine as long as you clean the boat immediately.
:D v-drive

Lightning
08-26-2004, 03:31 PM
Trailers are the most prone to corrosion unless they are galvenizied or aluminum, the truth is that steel box tube used to make the trailers is not treated by any manufacturer I know to be dunked in the salty stuff. They paint it and send it out the door so in all reality even if you have never dunked in salt your trailer is still rusting on the inside of your tubes anyhow. All trailer have drain holes in the tube, thats how water gets in there. Don't worry buddy, I wouldn't make up some stuff just to make you come out to an awesome island paradise. :D
This is true, if you pull one of the trailer lights and take a look inside, you will see some rust - the salt will make it occur faster, that's all. Most people don't keep their boats long enough for it matter anyhow.

RiverOtter
08-26-2004, 04:05 PM
A local dealer used to take his boat to the Gulf. I asked him about the trailer damage because I had trashed 2 Sea Doo trailers. After boating in the blue water for a week he finds a ramp on a fresh water lake. Dips the trailer in to help wash out the trailer and drives the rest of the way home.

Jordy
08-26-2004, 04:25 PM
I have to say, Froggy had the best idea I've seen with regards to cleaning up the boat and trailer after a dip in the salt. Take it to a local lake, splash it and run it around. It will do a better job that way than anything you could do at the ramp with a hose. :D

dmontzsta
08-26-2004, 04:26 PM
STAY OUT OF THE OCEAN!
http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/Misc...Stuff./dmontzmax/WhaleOceanSpecs.jpg

Steamin' Rice
08-26-2004, 04:33 PM
I think the salt water will melt your fiberglass and make the boat catch on fire..... :D :D
Just rinse the trailer after you launch and use salt-away to flush your motor after you are done.....

KACHINA KEN
08-26-2004, 05:01 PM
I think the salt water will melt your fiberglass and make the boat catch on fire..... :D :D
Just rinse the trailer after you launch and use salt-away to flush your motor after you are done.....
SHHHHHH! I almost have these suckers believing my bullshit........

cigarette1
08-26-2004, 05:31 PM
It will .... especally lake boats ... why do you think they tell you to not put them in saltwater. There is a special treatement they add to Mercruiser packages if it is intended to be used in the salt and the lake boat builders don't include that in their offering unless you specifically ask for it. :crossx:

77charger
08-26-2004, 06:56 PM
I run my 21 ft boat in salt a few times.Aint nothing like a yardhouse run by boat. then cruise thru the harbor.Like people have said here the washing is important but long.Another tip is oncce you launch your boat and retrieve it take your trailer to the flush out then rinse it off before the salt water drys.You will eliminate alot of scrubbung time

Debbolas
08-26-2004, 07:10 PM
I heard if you leave your boat in salt water you are fine....It's when you take it out into the air that the "bad stuff" happens.
We use to waterski down by the channels in Long Beach, and just rinse the boat off when we pulled it out, and then wash it when we got home.
:crossx: :skull: :crossx:
But watch out for the Pirates of the Catalina ......lol :wink:

77charger
08-26-2004, 07:21 PM
I heard if you leave your boat in salt water you are fine....It's when you take it out into the air that the "bad stuff" happens.
:
that is true for the engines.As long as they are filled with salt water they are ok but once air gets in there the rust process begins.Most boats that are in slips do not have closed cooling.My friend had a cruiser at dana point harbor open cooling and it never had a corrosion problem.I go scuba diving and see dropped knives that have barnicles on them but no rust yet

Debbolas
08-26-2004, 07:46 PM
My brother in law keeps his boat in Manhattan Beach in a dock all the time, never takes it out. (well he just bought it, but the one his girlfriend had before, they never took out) Sounds like a party down there on the docks! :devil:

Misogynist
08-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Salt water can be so destructive to outdrives and cooling systems on any boat if you don't make the proper preparations... You will need sacrificial anodes on the outdrives.. on the steering.. and anything made out of aluminum that is in the water... don't even think of leaving the boat in the water for more than a few days at a time... if it sits in a slip, sea grass will start to grow and then attract barnacles. Those little suckers can really f--- up gel coat . Besides they have razor sharp edges that will cut your skin if you touch them... If you boat is left in a slip and your neighbor has incorrect isolation for his shore power ... The galvanic action will destroy YOUR stuff just being close to him. I had anodes on my outdrives and steering and you would faint if you saw how much damage they got just from day trips out to Catalina... If you prepare correctly... boating in the ocean is great... if not... expect huge repair bills...... :hammerhea

MagicMtnDan
08-26-2004, 09:42 PM
The only thing that belongs in the ocean is fish. :supp: :sqeyes: If boats were meant for salt water they would come with tartar sauce :sqeyes: :messedup:
Wish I hada boat now so I could make the Catalina trip :idea:

Misogynist
08-26-2004, 09:49 PM
Wish I hada boat now so I could make the Catalina trip :idea:
Me too..... me too........... :cry:

Spotondl
08-26-2004, 10:37 PM
Salt is corrosive and a VERY effective electrolyte. You cannot remove 100% of the salt by washing the boat or trailer, even if you do it VERY well, hence you will have accellerated corrosion. If you have dissimilar metals in contact with each other salt acts as an electrolyte which promotes electrolosis which by nature is corrosive. IF you never put into salt water, your boat will NOT corrode as fast, period.

TexasJet
08-27-2004, 05:49 AM
If you have an aluminum intake or exhaust madifold, DO NOT put your boat in salt water. Even if you flush the motor afterwards. The heat of running the motor heats up the aluminum and actually expands the pores of the metal. The salt gets in the pores and will eventually start corroding the manifolds.

cigarette1
08-27-2004, 06:33 AM
If you have an aluminum intake or exhaust madifold, DO NOT put your boat in salt water. Even if you flush the motor afterwards. The heat of running the motor heats up the aluminum and actually expands the pores of the metal. The salt gets in the pores and will eventually start corroding the manifolds.
So you're saying, avoid all the fun of boating in the ocean because after a few years you will have to replace a set of $1500 manifolds?
OK

shockwavebd
08-27-2004, 06:46 AM
this is very true.......thanks gregI think the salt water will melt your fiberglass and make the boat catch on fire..... :D :D

TexasJet
08-27-2004, 07:01 AM
Cigarette1, I probably should have clarified. If your motor, etc. is built to operate in salt water it means the insides of the motor and exhaust are coated to protect against corrosion. I was refering to the lake boater that wants to run in salt water accasionally. Even if you have a "salt water" boat you should flush the motor as often as you can after every ocean run. When I was a kid I worked in a "at the water" boat storage and I saw what salt buildup can do. I saw a lower unit split at the hub around the prop just from salt buildup. That is rare but I also saw a lot of lesser damage and wear that probably got worse with time cause the motors never got flushed or rinsed off.

Quality Time
08-27-2004, 07:15 AM
Bottom line - Rinse the SOB and enjoy. When you don't have the time to drive 4+ hours one-way and fight traffic there and back, Lake Pacific is a great little get away for a day of boating. Sure beats the local lakes ;)

cigarette1
08-27-2004, 07:20 AM
TJ, Looks like you have firsthand experience, being around lots of saltwater boats that have had marginal attention to cleaning or maintenance. No doubt saltwater is a harsh environment, but the effects can be minimal, if not insignificant, if the proper care and maintenence is applied.
My first offshore buy was not the best move I ever made, but I got a deal and didn't loose any more dollars than if it were a clean freshwater boat. My third was a saltwater boat (from Fl) and was a MUCH better buy ... had no regrets. My current boat is from Florida, although it has closed cooling (525efi) the rest of the boat is clean as a whistle.
The ocean is a whole different experience than lakes and rivers. Something about it (Jaws) adds to the thrill.
G

Quality Time
08-27-2004, 07:29 AM
The ocean is a whole different experience than lakes and rivers.
I agree. Boating in the Ocean, compared to the river or lakes, sharpens your driving skills and gives you a better understanding of what you and your rig can and cannot do IMHO.

NOTALENT
08-27-2004, 07:49 AM
Man....Lot's of views thanks alot..but screw it...I live 5 min from Long Beach Marina..I guess if im paying alot for a boat I might as well use it..And make sure I just keep up on all the maintanence and find out the outcome myself.

Havasu Hangin'
08-27-2004, 07:54 AM
Salt water is only bad if you are a snail, or a slug that doesn't rinse the engine with Salt-Away...

KACHINA KEN
08-27-2004, 09:30 AM
Man....Lot's of views thanks alot..but screw it...I live 5 min from Long Beach Marina..I guess if im paying alot for a boat I might as well use it..And make sure I just keep up on all the maintanence and find out the outcome myself.
Thanks for bringing up the topic though B, i think it's great to break through all the misnomers of getting salty to entice more folks into taking the plunge, it's the best thing boating-wise I have ever done. Other benefits include.
No noise restrictions
throttle response rules at sea level
boat is more buoyant, responds better
flyin through the air is cool
air smells great
Chicks dig dolphins
Chicks dig seals