PDA

View Full Version : Bad Luck Struck AGAIN!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-26-2004, 04:43 PM
Well today I took my boat to a fiberglass guy for an estimate and............$1000 to fix it :yuk: :mad: :mad: It has a crack in one of the strakes(sp). Its not that bad but I think he is on crack an trying to screw me. So i left and I was on the freeway and all of a sudden I felt alot of vibration. i pulled over and I had only 1 stud on the left side of my trailer :eek: I finally got it home on 2 studs. I am ready to blow this
b**ch up! When the motor was running like sh!t the boat floated. Now the motor runs like a stripped ass ape the boat dont float! Does anyone know where i coul get a decent hull to drop this motor into? i am thinking about parting the whole thing out because the chevy is getting near completion.
Why does havasu barney have to be gone?????? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

moneysucker
08-26-2004, 05:23 PM
Fix it yourself. It will suck while you are doing it but it will be done for 30 in materials. For some reason when ever any repair shop sees a boat they see dollar signs like we have money. We HAD money, now we have boats. There is a difference and a direct correllation.

Tinkerer
08-26-2004, 06:33 PM
can you get at it from the inside??
IF you can then grind it down right up to the gell coat but not into it - then just start laying in the fiberglass strips ( each strip will be slightly larger than the one before) The first one should be small. Fill up the area that you ground down untill it is back to the same thickness as the rest of the hull.
GOOD LUCK Steve

datdude
08-26-2004, 08:00 PM
I feel your pain brother. These asssholes are charging me $2500! to mix the crack in the bottom of my boat, thats after I already paid some jackofff to fix it a month ago. Plus the motor is running like crap. :mad: Just because it has dual carbs they got all scared and don't want to work on it. So when they finally finish it at the first of the week, I have to figure out whats wrong with it. Haven't had one good lake day all summer. :cry: not one. Labor Day weekend is this boats last chance. May get some insurance this week in case the plug "accidently" comes out.

BrendellaJet
08-26-2004, 08:09 PM
Cracks are not difficult to fix. There has been atleast one thread that pretty much covered it already, plus, there are a few fiberglass sites you can go to that have forums so you can get second and third opinions.
Tinkerboater is right. Grind the crack out. I would go at it from both directions though, that way the crack is eliminated. Might be tough to grind right up to the gel coat but stop before going through. Use lots of overlap too and you will be fine. You could have this done in a day if you were so inclined.

sidewound
08-26-2004, 08:12 PM
Really Bro THAT BLOWS!!!
Sounds like someone is tryin to wedge it in your settin spot.
Maybe it wouldn't be pretty but I think your handy enough to make a temp repair till the seasons over. Just has to float! :clover:
My POS is full of fuel from the seam on the tank lettin go. I feel the pain. :sqeyes:
Good luck Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peace Man! :cool:
CESAR

djdtpr
08-26-2004, 08:35 PM
Get ahold of todnjuzz on the boards i have seen his work first hand and he does a class act job.Idont know dollar wise what the difference is but its worth a shot!

Cs19
08-26-2004, 09:31 PM
Does anyone know where i coul get a decent hull to drop this motor into?
Talk to Mudpumper, I think he may be trying to sell his Southwind.
Its a real clean hull and it ran really good with his set up, he is gonna sell it w/ no motor if im not mistaken.
Good luck with everything.

Cole Sanger
08-26-2004, 09:41 PM
396...How about posting the name of the shop you are getting the rip off from. Helps people when they need to go somewhere that they don't get ripped off. Thanks.

shaun
08-26-2004, 10:20 PM
Todd (toddnjuzz) is a bit far from you but he did work on my boat. My stringers are rock solid now. He's a good guy, has given me alot of information about how to do my own glass work rahter than try to get me to pay him to do it. I'd recommend him!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-26-2004, 10:44 PM
The only thing that is stopping me from fixing it is if it dont work I will probablly blow it up! I will think about fixing it on sunday. I already started grinding it out from the top. I have marine grade resin I bought from another guy that does glass repair. that stuff costed me $100 for a half a gallon :2purples: I just have to pick up some mat and cloth. I think I will lay up a few layers and see what she looks like then I will go from there.The only bad thing is grinding from the bottom :2purples: We'll see this weekend. thanks for talking me into doing it! i was pissed off all day. The only good thing that happened today is that you guys talked me into fixing it myself;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-26-2004, 10:47 PM
396...How about posting the name of the shop you are getting the rip off from. Helps people when they need to go somewhere that they don't get ripped off. Thanks.
"precision fiberglass" behind arizona boatstore on broaway & almaschool. they do good work just too damn pricey. thats like me charging someone $1000 to build a stock ass motor. Not right at all :mad: :mad: I would never try to rip someone off like that :yuk: They are assholes!!!!!!!!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-26-2004, 10:52 PM
A few people tol me to fill it with foam after I fixed the crack. Can someone vouch for this? Will it work? here is a link to the product.
http://www.mertons.com/Floatation/index.html

LVjetboy
08-26-2004, 11:35 PM
"Bad Luck Struck AGAIN"
I'm thinking since you had one stud left...that was a bit of "good luck" :D
jer

460 jus getn it
08-27-2004, 09:12 AM
The only thing that is stopping me from fixing it is if it dont work I will probablly blow it up! I will think about fixing it on sunday. I already started grinding it out from the top. I have marine grade resin I bought from another guy that does glass repair. that stuff costed me $100 for a half a gallon :2purples: I just have to pick up some mat and cloth. I think I will lay up a few layers and see what she looks like then I will go from there.The only bad thing is grinding from the bottom :2purples: We'll see this weekend. thanks for talking me into doing it! i was pissed off all day. The only good thing that happened today is that you guys talked me into fixing it myself;)
well its looks like we are fixing your crack on sunday. it got ya brother im not going to let u be in that hot ass sun by yourself, ill be right there sweating my black ass off with you. :) :)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-27-2004, 04:05 PM
well its looks like we are fixing your crack on sunday. it got ya brother im not going to let u be in that hot ass sun by yourself, ill be right there sweating my black ass off with you. :) :)
ont you just love sweatin' your blackass off. I was a light skin brotha now I am ark skin :D :D hopefully it will hold up :frown: i guess i will nee to make a trip to the lake sometime next week to see if she holds up!

460 jus getn it
08-27-2004, 05:07 PM
ont you just love sweatin' your blackass off. I was a light skin brotha now I am ark skin :D :D hopefully it will hold up :frown: i guess i will nee to make a trip to the lake sometime next week to see if she holds up!
i just want to get these damn boats finished. if it isnt one thing its another :mad: dont worry it will hold up, if not i know how to swim :) :) :)

LVjetboy
08-27-2004, 11:46 PM
Somehow "fixing your crack" and "hot ass" don't belong in the same post together...unless there's a woman involved.
jer

dgie
08-28-2004, 12:39 AM
396 I felt the same way when I took on replacing my transom. I do not know what people charge to do that, I am thinking around $2,500. I did not want someone jacking me, so I did a little research and took it on myself. Personally I feel it came out pretty good. I did it in apoxy resin which may have been a little overkill, but better safe then sorry. Anyways glassing is not hard at all, just a lot of prep work. Can not wait to take on the stringers and check the bottom for a hook, still doing research on these things before I dig in, anyways those are fall projects.

DansBlown73Nordic
08-28-2004, 02:09 AM
Bad luck would be if the wheel fell off allowing the hub to drop on the road. This will cause alot of sparks and could cause the boat to CATCH FIRE!!!! :p

JetBoatRich
08-28-2004, 05:56 AM
lets see some pictures of the crack :yuk: it is a lot of work, but you can do it yoourself :cool:

Keithb87
08-28-2004, 07:12 AM
Come down (10 Houses) talk to 180 Degrees Out. He's pretty good with Fibergalss and such. Don't tell him I sent you. :shift: He'll make me help :D

hondajoey
08-28-2004, 08:46 AM
Hey 460 how did your intake turnout with the coating,
not to change the repair subject

460 jus getn it
08-28-2004, 09:01 AM
intake came out great(ill post pics later) but now i have another problem. u see i was going to complete my build last nite, started to in stall the oil pump when i relized that the pick up i have is the wrong one :mad: so no big deal ill get another one or make that one work. had to get new rocker studs to replace the old ones that broke,WRONG, they sold me the wrong ones now im really pissed. so i start to install the cam the only problem with that is bbf need a ecentric, well the part the dealer ship charged my 25.00 for isnt complete i still need the plate and bolt for the front of the cam really really pissed now. took the nite to regroup so ill try again today. the only plus is we got my other boyz engine in his jet(pics to soon follow)