PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on set-up

Jet City
08-26-2004, 04:48 PM
I'm finding out all the details on my recently purchased Di Marco, what I'd really like to know is if the prop/gear combo sounds reasonable for this engine/hull. The engine is 440 inch BBC with probably 525-550HP (DD2000 guess), reverse manual turbo 400 trans, 18% over gears and 11 1/4" x 15 prop (2 blade SS). I have not had a chance to run it yet, next weekend will be first time out, just gathering input and ideas right now.
The previous owner ran a ton of down-pedal and was honest with me that the boat porpoises bad without the pedal, I have noticed the rear plates are slightly up from level without up/down pedal applied (I read level is correct), the other thing I've read is prop placement (for and aft) will have a dramatic effect on porpoising and such, is my thinking close to right?

dmontzsta
08-26-2004, 05:08 PM
I'm finding out all the details on my recently purchased Di Marco, what I'd really like to know is if the prop/gear combo sounds reasonable for this engine/hull. The engine is 440 inch BBC with probably 525-550HP (DD2000 guess), reverse manual turbo 400 trans, 18% over gears and 11 1/4" x 15 prop (2 blade SS). I have not had a chance to run it yet, next weekend will be first time out, just gathering input and ideas right now.
The previous owner ran a ton of down-pedal and was honest with me that the boat porpoises bad without the pedal, I have noticed the rear plates are slightly up from level without up/down pedal applied (I read level is correct), the other thing I've read is prop placement (for and aft) will have a dramatic effect on porpoising and such, is my thinking close to right?
If the plates are set too high, that would definately be a good indication of why there is so much downpedal needed.

Jet City
08-26-2004, 05:15 PM
Dmon, I kinda suspected as much, am I right in that the plates should be flat without pedals applied? Or is this at least a good place to start?

Fiat48
08-26-2004, 06:59 PM
Is it a runner bottom or a flat? I can ballpark you with some measurments from a typical Cole type runner bottom.
18 is probably a little much gear. Depends on the prop. But if it won't carry the nose you probably need to try 12's. Maybe 15's.

Kim Hanson
08-26-2004, 08:00 PM
I don't know about that down pedal stuff, mash it and when the front lifts hit it, and it will come back up and hit it again to take a set....I don't focking know, I have the rachet shit..stick it in place and go..........( . )( . ).......... :eek:

dmontzsta
08-26-2004, 08:17 PM
[QUOTE=Jet City Rebel]Dmon, I kinda suspected as much, am I right in that the plates should be flat without pedals applied? Or is this at least a good place to start?[/QUOT
I am not sure about runners, but I know when my plate is all the way down, it is pretty much even, when it is all the way up, it is 1/8" up.

coolchange
08-26-2004, 08:42 PM
Fiat's right, 18s might be a bit much for a 440. Friend had one with full roller 27 and he ran 6s. Boat was a bullet. Plates sound right at 1/8 up. What I see as your big issue is the trans. Its upsetting the balance point of the hull if the motor is in the standard location. I cant remeber?31" 33"? The real deal is in the prop and strut location but I think your a ways off from that.
Dmon, if your only getting 1/8" of travel you've got issues.

Jetboatguru
08-26-2004, 09:23 PM
11 1/4x 15 and an 18 gear is gonna bring that motor to it's knees. It needs a smaller diameter prop and less gear. Leave the plates where they are. They should be on an upward swing when relaxed.

dmontzsta
08-26-2004, 09:31 PM
Fiat's right, 18s might be a bit much for a 440. Friend had one with full roller 27 and he ran 6s. Boat was a bullet. Plates sound right at 1/8 up. What I see as your big issue is the trans. Its upsetting the balance point of the hull if the motor is in the standard location. I cant remeber?31" 33"? The real deal is in the prop and strut location but I think your a ways off from that.
Dmon, if your only getting 1/8" of travel you've got issues.
That is what I have it adjusted at, that is what I have been told was right.
When the t handle is all the way up, the plate should have a 1/8" gap if you put a level under the boat and cav plate.

Jet City
08-26-2004, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'm not completely confident about the gears and prop, it was what the seller told me and what I found in the paperwork. I will get the boat out ASAP to get a feel for it and make some more observations, the boat seems to rev-out just fine with the current gears, seems to pull fine to 6500 or so, its possible I've been misinformed about the gears/prop specs.
The hull is a 7/8" runner-bottom BTW.

Jetboatguru
08-26-2004, 10:12 PM
He is talking about the amount of travel you have with the plates not the setting. You should have atleast an inch of travel and ideally over an inch and half.

dmontzsta
08-26-2004, 10:34 PM
He is talking about the amount of travel you have with the plates not the setting. You should have atleast an inch of travel and ideally over an inch and half.
ohhh, I see...I am not sure what the travel is, I have yet to check.