PDA

View Full Version : v-10 vs desiel

cc322
08-26-2004, 05:27 PM
I have had my on on the f 250 trucks for some time and was just wondering what everyone's 02 are on the v10 or the desiel,. So far what I have found out is that the desiel's are about 4 to 6 grand more, the question is it worth it? The deisel is more money to keep up than the gas and it has a higher up front cost, and from what I have been seeing latley is that deisel is more per gallon? Keep in mind that I will not use it as a daily driver I have a co truck, just on weekend's and river trips. I hear alot of kudos for the desiel and the v10 what are your thoughts??

Tinkerer
08-26-2004, 06:28 PM
I have the CHEVY diesel - My friend had the same truck as mine only with the 454
he got 10 MPG I get 17 with 410 gears
I get 11.25 MPG pulling 12,000 lbs
It all depends what you want to do with it and how many miles that you drive.
With my boat it wasn't an option. The gas engine just wouldn't pull my rig for very long before it said enough.

N2Lake
08-26-2004, 06:28 PM
I went without a diesel for 35 months, I won't being doing that anymore! However in your situation is uniqe in that it won't be a daily driver. Buy a diesel and own it forever, my .02.

PHX ATC
08-26-2004, 07:31 PM
I've got 2 diesels and will never go back.
Better mileage, better smelling fuel, better towing ability and performance.
It's whatever you want, as long as you like it.
Diesel trucks...we work harder so you don't have to. :rollside:

Jordy
08-26-2004, 08:25 PM
I'll never buy another truck that's gas unless it's some 50's or 60's kind of hot rod potential.
As far as the V-10's, you couldn't give me one of those, Ford or Dodge. It's combination of 2 straight 5 cylinder engines that were never meant to run together. That is, they run out of balance and that is why they have balance shafts that run either in the sides of the block (I think it was Dodge that did that) or under the valve cover (Ford I think, but I could have them reversed). The funny thing was, with these big cube engines with balance shafts and 2 more cylinders to feed, they didn't out perform the big Vortec GM's by much, and certainly not based upon economy. Face it, you have 2 more cylinders to feed, 2 more spark plugs, 2 more spark plug wires, 2 more pistons, and on and on and on. From a rolling resistance stand point, not to mention the theory of keep it simple, there is lots of stuff to go wrong.
Back to the diesel deal. Yeah they're a little more money up front, but based upon what you're driving them for, it will be the last truck you'll drive. I sold my last diesel with 245,000 miles on it, with no major work done to it, and it was a 6.5 Chevy.
You mentioned fuel prices. Gas around here is around $2.00 per gallon. Fuel around here is about the same (ballpark, it can and should be found cheaper). Take a truck, like a V-10 gas that you're getting 8 mpg in, and compare it to a diesel that you're getting 16 mpg in (I get that in my company Duramax, I have two of them). For that deal, you can go twice as far on the same money fuel wise. Gas/fuel isn't going to get any cheaper.
That in my eyes justifies the extra expense. :D

Kilrtoy
08-26-2004, 08:31 PM
Im in the same situation as you and I had to weigh this when purchased 9 months ago.
For the 4x4 diesel it was around 10K more.
Since I only drive it to the river to put the boat in the water and take it out, I could not justify the money. Got the V10 and I get about 12MPG. Alot better than I thought.
Save your money. Now if it was a daily driver diesel hands down.......
Now if you put thru hull exhuast Im guess more MPG :coffeycup

Jordy
08-26-2004, 08:51 PM
Now if you put thru hull exhuast Im guess more MPG :coffeycup
Nice shorts. :D
How long did you figure the life of the truck first off? And $10K more? Yikes. Should have been around $5-6K and when prices were half of what they are now, it figured a break even around 3 years with 15K driven a year (off the top of my Goose soaked head). :D

Jordy
08-26-2004, 08:52 PM
Oh, and I do have the Gibson thru-hull on my personal truck. :D

Kilrtoy
08-26-2004, 08:59 PM
Actually if I could sell it and by a old used truck to put the boat in the water and just leave the truck in havasu, Well that is what I get for not thinking about the THRU-HULL picture....
Ill probably keep it 6 years and it might have only 30,000 miles by then.......

WUTWZAT
08-28-2004, 08:54 PM
My boss had a Chevy 454, and then bought a V-10. And still regrets that change over for pulling power. So much so that he now stores his boat in Havasu instead of pulling it back and forth. He claims the V-10 to be a dog.
My brother had a Ford F-350 Deisel w/ banks charger and loved it. He was started having problems and the warranty was close to running out so he got rid of it and got a gas model, for a very short period. He is now back to the Ford F-250 Deisel, I'm not sure if its super or turbo charged, but he is back.
I have a small boat and use a lifted 2wd Expediton 5.4, not real problems but its not as tuff as my old Ram 1500 was.
One bonus that others my over look in a deisel setup, is that for an additional $700 roughly you can put a system on it that allows you to run on used / strained vegetable oil that local restraunts are only to happy to give to you to dispose of. Plus everywhere you go smells a little like french fries. Or are we still calling them FREEDOM FRIES.
Jason

Kilrtoy
08-29-2004, 04:03 PM
I have a V10 with 4:10 gears,
The thing is a pig it tows awesome, I (ALMOST) forget the boat is back there....