PDA

View Full Version : 455 new parts install questions

dekmaster
08-27-2004, 09:02 AM
Hi All,
I just picked up some parts from CAS and I am looking for advice on installation.
The first is a polished torker manifold for a 455 OLDS. I guess i need three parts to do the install. First I need a sugestion to which gaskets to use. I looked on Summit and there are many different kinds, which one is better. Second I guess I need new bolts for the manifold. I was recomended to use hex bolts. Where could I get these? Third, I need the plugs to plug up the extra water holes where do they sell those?
The other piece that I picked up from CAS is a delco HEI distributor. Can someone provide me with instructions for installation. Also do I need special plugs for an HEI distributor, because currently I have just a regular stock distributor.
Thanks to everyone for the advice,
Dennis

BrendellaJet
08-27-2004, 09:19 AM
Get the paper gaskets, not the turkey tray pan that most auto places will try to sell you-they suck. You can use some ARP bolts, Summit should have a kit for them. They are nice bolts, but a stocker bolt kit will do the job.
For the HEI, try a search on Google, or here on ***boat, its not hard, but easy to screw up. You should be able to find some detailed instructions. You will need new plug wires too, your current ones probably wont work with the HEI terminals. Existing plugs should be okay, but why not change them since you are changing everything else? You will need a timing light too.
For the intake, get some 3m weatherstripping sealant and use is SPARINGLY around the water ports, that will help make sure they dont leak. Be careful though-that stuff gives new meaning to the word MESSY.

dekmaster
08-27-2004, 09:45 AM
ARP only has a kit for the cylinder heads for the 455. Which gaskets should i use? Mr. Gasket or ???
Thanks

GlastronGuy
08-27-2004, 10:00 AM
ARP only has a kit for the cylinder heads for the 455. Which gaskets should i use? Mr. Gasket or ???
Thanks
I have ARP hex head bolts on my torker.

Wally_Gator
08-27-2004, 10:04 AM
I recently put an edelbrock intake on my olds..
Here is some of what I did..
1. Get RTV black.. Use that sparingly on the water ports on both sides of each intake gasket.
2. With the same RTV black. Throw away the intake rubber end seals. Put a thick bead between the intake and the block at the front and back. Test fit the manifold to see how thick you will need before hand.
3. Manifold Plugs. Summit sells anodized aluminum plugs. I found all except one of the larger ones. Local Hardware store for one of those.
4. The HEI distributor. Get new plugs and wires. Go to the parts store and have them look up an olds for like 76 or later 455. I forgot what year they started putting HEI's on these but the listing will be good for the plugs and wires as well as the plug gap.
5. The gap on the plugs will be HUGE.. Over .065 Talk about lightning int he cylinders...

Back Forty
08-27-2004, 10:38 AM
I usually go for '74 to '76 455. '76 was the last year for the 455 and you need the longer wire runs that should come with the big block setups(wider engine) as opposed to the small block sets that would only be available for '77 and up.
I usually just tell the parts desk lacky to look up a set for a '76 Delta 88, 455 car.
HEI was an option in '73 but standard by '74 on most GM vehicles I think.