PDA

View Full Version : salt/brackish water & jets?

BBB
08-27-2004, 04:44 PM
I'm thinking about heading out to the Delta this weekend but am wondering about any downsides to running my jet in brackish water. I spend all of my Delta time in and around the Tracy area but this weekend will be closer to the Antioch area. The water is noticably saltier... any warnings, thoughts, advice?
Thanks!

Jetdriver
08-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Rinse well. Not as strong as the Ocean but still salty. May want to pick up some salt water nuetralizer(sp). Have fun! :D

HammerDown
08-27-2004, 06:14 PM
The very few times I ran in Brackish/Salt I had to remove my water filter for the engine and headers...as is bacame clogged easly. Also the salt/minerals started to clog the small water injection lines for my Bassetts.

Heatseeker
08-27-2004, 08:06 PM
I spend all of my Delta time in and around the Tracy area ...
Where do you normally launch?
I launch at Dos Reis all the time. Maybe we've seen each other?

BBB
08-27-2004, 09:22 PM
I used to drop in at Whiskey Slough but haven't been out there since the levee popped a leak. Where's Dos Reis? We may have seen each other at Tower park last year?

Heatseeker
08-28-2004, 01:18 PM
Dos Reis is just(west) off Highway 5 at Lathrop road. I live on the east side of 5 off Lathrop road. The ramp is less than 5 minutes from the house :D .
I've been to every TP gathering, so we may have seen each other. Were you there this year? What kind of boat do you have?

CrdStang
08-28-2004, 04:25 PM
Salt tends to crystalize and clog up passages at a relatively low temp. I don't recall the exact number, but I want to say 120-130 degrees? So you want to make sure your coolant temp stays below that if you have a T-stat or watever.
Thats probably why HammerDown's header tubes clogged..