PDA

View Full Version : Engine placement, angle, etc. 68 Hondo v drive need motor plates and bracket

daddy b
08-28-2004, 02:15 PM
I hate to ask a question that someone has probably asked already but..... where should I mount this bbc on this plate system, where do I measure from, and where should I measure tilt angle. Want a safe fast 2 seater, adjustable cavitation. Thought about a powerglide or 350 tranny too??? What do you think..... someone said 36" motor mount, but from where? Also need motor plates and mounting bracket for plate system if anyone has any for sale. I appreciate your knowledge and experience. Thanks
Daddy B :eek: :eat:

FlatRat
08-29-2004, 06:16 AM
No expert here,
I believe you measure from the inside of the transom.34-36" is what they say is right for my Sanger Flat.I know this,it makes all the differance in the world to have correct motor placement.Good luck.F.R.

Norseman
08-29-2004, 06:34 AM
Doesn't engine placement vary with differenet engines? I would think that a heavier engine would be in a different location than a lighter one. Or isn't it that critical???
Also an engine with a trans or velvet drive needs to be in a different location, or does it????
Norseman

dmontzsta
08-29-2004, 07:05 AM
I always heard that engine placement can throw the entire boat off. It depends on alot of different things. I was told the boat had to be weighed and balanced before the engine went in and usually people dont mess with it after the builder puts it in. I could be wrong though, cause I know of people on the boards that move their engine around. It would depend on a few things... what the boat is going to be set up for! the weight of the motor! the hp of the motor.

Flatbroke 1
08-29-2004, 08:25 AM
In most cases an 18' 2 seater boat set up for performance won't have enough room between the engine and v-drive to fit a trans. There are kits to remove the tailshaft housing from a powerglide but that only saves about 4 or 5 inches if I remember correctly.
I have a 19' Sanger with 4 passenger seating set up for cruising/skiing and the trans barely fits with about a 4" shaft.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-29-2004, 11:21 AM
I hate to ask a question that someone has probably asked already but..... where should I mount this bbc on this plate system, where do I measure from, and where should I measure tilt angle. Want a safe fast 2 seater, adjustable cavitation. Thought about a powerglide or 350 tranny too??? What do you think..... someone said 36" motor mount, but from where? Also need motor plates and mounting bracket for plate system if anyone has any for sale. I appreciate your knowledge and experience. Thanks
Daddy B :eek: :eat:
What shaft angle does the boat have? A 12 degree shaft angle will make it difficult to have the motor at 36. Hopefully the angle is a 9 degree like most early Hondos and the v-drive is 96 inches off the inside of the transom. If it is a 9 degree put the motor between 34-36 measured from the inside of the transom to the rear motor plate. If the v-drive is not allready at 96 inches you probably have a 12 degree shaft angle.
The old non-runner flats do not have 1 exact set-up that works for all. You will have to find the set-up that works best for your boat.
Jerry