PDA

View Full Version : The jet boat question of the year

dgie
08-28-2004, 04:24 PM
I have the question of the year and here it goes......do yall think it possible to heat up OT headers with a gas torch at the base until they are red hot and bend them a little. I have some and they are a little tweeked I think I may have heated them up a little too much in the pastand now they are both leaning to one side. Well what do yall think???

MudPumper
08-28-2004, 04:26 PM
I don't see why not. It will **** up any finish that is on there but if it's already messed up no biggie.

Danhercules
08-28-2004, 04:32 PM
I don't see why not. It will **** up any finish that is on there but if it's already messed up no biggie.
I Agree. I dont see what it would hurt.

dmontzsta
08-28-2004, 04:53 PM
I was wondering this too, my headers point UP a little too much.

BrendellaJet
08-28-2004, 05:38 PM
I read here once that if you get them nice and hot(I think running without water will do the trick-but will ruin your finish potentially), stick a long metal pipe down the collector and torque on it a little-should work fine, depending on how much adjustment you need.

Cs19
08-28-2004, 06:28 PM
Question of the year?
I have heard of guys doing it before, go for it.

dgie
08-28-2004, 06:45 PM
Question of the year?
I have heard of guys doing it before, go for it.
.......................:D

Cs19
08-28-2004, 07:11 PM
..and let us know how it comes out. :D go get the torch

Heatseeker
08-28-2004, 07:43 PM
I talked with Paul at Bassett about that. He says he does them cold with a long piece of 4" o.d. tubing. He said he could make small adjustments that way.

TRG
08-28-2004, 10:35 PM
dmonzsta, i think you may have jet boat headers!
smile it aint so bad! lol
todd

DRUNK FRIEND "O" Bense with NO boat
08-28-2004, 10:39 PM
I can't read...but lets get NUTZ

Aluminum Squirt
08-28-2004, 11:25 PM
Bent mine cold with a cherry picker, just go nice and easy and make sure the bolts are all tight. I run mine dry and they were starting to sag a little from the heat. Not sure how to bend them down, probably insert some pipe or wood to get some leverage. Not sure if all headers do this but if you want to see some funky stuff, run them dry for a bit till there nice and hot and then turn you water back on. The tip of my headers would move up and down visible probably a good inch or two going from hot to cold. Probably not good for them but they're ceramic coated and I run them 100% dry now. I'm using Rewarders. Good luck-Aluminum Squirt

Wet Dream
08-29-2004, 05:39 AM
If you've ever run you engine at night, you'll see it doesn't take but 2000 rpm to get them red red red hot at the bends. A torch might not f it up as bad as you think.

dgie
08-29-2004, 08:39 AM
I think they got tweeked in the begining when we were breaking the motor in. We ran the motor pretty hot, this is before the last rebuild. I do remember them getting cherry red at break in. Now they both lean to one side, because my trailer had a flat tire, during that time. Any guesses on how long if I ran them dry it would take for them to get hot enough to bend back. Also doing this It would not do any harm to the heads, torking on it like this would it.

dgie
08-29-2004, 09:05 PM
Well I was able to fix the headers :rollside: What I did was I hooked the boat up to the water hose. then turned off the water to my headers (I have a gate valve there to do this) then I fired up the boat and let it run for around 10 minutes at around 2000 rpm. I then shut it down and shoved a big pipe we had laying around into the header and proceeded to bend it back to its original position. I went little at a time until it was there. I then packed everything up and headed to the lake, but before I did I rerouted my fuel line and that may have fixed that problem also. It did not dip below 6 psi at WOT and around 7-8 psi at idle. I was not out there long, just a couple of shots across the lake, but seemed to run pretty good today. I am planning on taking it out next wekend if all turns out good and recheck the fuel problem. I am wondering if the fuel line was the problem since I was not on the lake long today and did not see a problem. Could it also be possible for the fuel pump to give out after running constant for a period of time, like around 30 minutes to an hour? kind of like degrading over time...
PS I did not use the torch idea, because I have saddle tanks and one of them has a leak at the neck, so I did not want to chance it, plus this worked out well anyways :wink:

MudPumper
08-29-2004, 09:18 PM
then I fired up the boat and let it run for around 10 minutes at around 2000 rpm. :
After running for 10 min on the trailer, now you can plan for that pump rebuild you've been wanting. It hurts just thinking about it. :)

dgie
08-29-2004, 10:03 PM
After running for 10 min on the trailer, now you can plan for that pump rebuild you've been wanting. It hurts just thinking about it. :)
No chance, I run water reverse out the pump when I run it on the trailer, it keeps the wear ring wet.

Keithb87
08-30-2004, 09:56 AM
Not sure how to bend them down, probably insert some pipe or wood to get some leverage.
Turn the Boat upside down and use the cherry picker... :messedup:
It might work :squiggle:

Aluminum Squirt
08-30-2004, 11:50 AM
KeithB, you are a genious. why didn't I think of that :) LOL-Aluminum Squirt