PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket rim/tire combo for stock '05 Z71 Tahoe???

MOBrien
04-10-2006, 10:32 AM
The wife hit a huge piece of metal the other day on the freeway and it blew a big'ol hole in the sidewall and severed a big chunk out on the lip of the wheel....it's toast. Looks like my opportunity to throw on a new set of wheels & tires. :D Thing is, with two really little kids I am not looking to lift it at all.
So, what size rim/tire combo should I be looking at that won't rub, but will give my truck a beefier look/stance?
Thanks!!
-MOB

Riverat84
04-10-2006, 03:54 PM
hey bud, first before tires/wheels, you can slap on a small set of torsion bar keys to level out your tahoe and basically lifts your frong end like 1.5", and wont lift it much at all, meaning you could probably stuff 33's in there w/ out rubbing. the kiddies would be real easy to still get in the truck, and you would be able to stuff the same size tire in the front as the rear.... just my .02
Reid

MOBrien
04-11-2006, 09:01 AM
what cost is associated with the tortion bar keys?? All that does is create more room for the front tires??
Also, since I'm not lifting, should I be looking toward a set of 18's with a good nobby tire?
Thanks.

dicudmore
04-11-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm staying out of this one because my only advise is to LEAVE IT STOCK

Riverat84
04-11-2006, 03:22 PM
I'm staying out of this one because my only advise is to LEAVE IT STOCK
HEHE TRUE! it is a great ride stock, they ride like focking cars stock, but it would be the same since they torsion bars arent cranked at all....the geometry of the suspension would be the same, the front at stock, doesnt have as much room as the rear does at stock since only the front wheels turn. if i were you i'd get the lift keys or just keep it stock...your call. it would look great anyway!....the 18's would fit, just dont go beyond 9" wide. im sure you can talk it over w/ your mech. and he would say something close to the same.
good luck
Reid

MOBrien
04-11-2006, 06:33 PM
OK, so without touching the suspension what's the wheel size & offset that I'd need to give it a healthier look with a larger tire a few sizes up....?
And, how does the tire pressure sensing system work? Am I going to lose this ability with a set of aftermarket wheels?
Thanks.

InKahntrol
04-12-2006, 10:37 AM
I left the suspension on my '01 Silverado stock and upgraded to 18x8" wheels with a 31" tire. It looks cool... but I have to say, it did impact performance. The handling is a bit funky now, and the truck definately doesn't have as much punch off the line (especially when towing). I believe this is because of the extra rotating mass. I installed a K&N Series 77 cold air kit and that helped a little... but it's still slower.
In my case I love the look, so it was worth it. However, some may not want to make that sacrifice.

Riverat84
04-13-2006, 03:34 PM
I left the suspension on my '01 Silverado stock and upgraded to 18x8" wheels with a 31" tire. It looks cool... but I have to say, it did impact performance. The handling is a bit funky now, and the truck definately doesn't have as much punch off the line (especially when towing). I believe this is because of the extra rotating mass. I installed a K&N Series 77 cold air kit and that helped a little... but it's still slower.
In my case I love the look, so it was worth it. However, some may not want to make that sacrifice.
hey mobrian, yeah im guessing 31's without rubbing at max turn radius, but bigger wheels, no matter the size of tire does add more rotating weight, in turn less accelleration, thus of the heavier/ bigger wheel....not anymore stress on the engine/tranny, just a slower response like he said up there ^
but yeah ive seen them w/ the small torsion keys, and ridden in one and it feels exactly like stock, just a little leveled out more...since stock anything rides low in the front!
hope we could be of help,
Reid

MOBrien
04-14-2006, 01:06 PM
yep, big help. went with a set of gloss black 20x8.5's with a polished lip and polished fakey two-piece boltheads. Put Pirelli "Scorpion" AT's 275/55/20's on and am done with it. Basically, same overall diameter as stock just brought the tire out a tiny bit to fill in the wheel-well a little better than the narrow stock look. Just put a black tubular safari basket on the top today and it's lookin real good IMO.
Drives good and feels more stable while turning and tracks better with the new shoes.
Thanks for everyone's input.
-MOB

Riverat84
04-22-2006, 02:49 PM
yep, big help. went with a set of gloss black 20x8.5's with a polished lip and polished fakey two-piece boltheads. Put Pirelli "Scorpion" AT's 275/55/20's on and am done with it. Basically, same overall diameter as stock just brought the tire out a tiny bit to fill in the wheel-well a little better than the narrow stock look. Just put a black tubular safari basket on the top today and it's lookin real good IMO.
Drives good and feels more stable while turning and tracks better with the new shoes.
Thanks for everyone's input.
-MOB
yeah for sure man, my parents put 20's on their yukon and i dont think they switched the sensors....did yours fit also? i really think they did. have fun.
Reid

MOBrien
04-26-2006, 12:04 PM
they swapped the sensors fromm the stock wheels and put stems back in for me so the old one's are pumped and ready as spares. All is well. Thanks again for the input. My rig looks good.

Riverat84
04-26-2006, 07:17 PM
they swapped the sensors fromm the stock wheels and put stems back in for me so the old one's are pumped and ready as spares. All is well. Thanks again for the input. My rig looks good.
SWEET! :crossx: