PDA

View Full Version : Rocketman Drive Upgrade??

WetWillie
08-29-2004, 09:06 AM
Anyone hear from Rocketman? He was doing a Weismann drive upgrade. I wanted to hear how it was going and what the final result was?
http://www.weismann.net/WsdmkIIside.jpg

28Sport Cat
08-29-2004, 12:50 PM
:cool: Saw him friday night passing thru santa clarita, had new drive on the boat.

rustyk
08-29-2004, 06:46 PM
I am hitting 110 mph with Bravo 1 w/34p Bravo one Four blade prop. I had 525 lbs of people in boat including myself two tanks of fuel (50 Gal.) I am scared i am going to break that Bravo 1 Drive soon. Especially when i put the 8:71 Littlefield on new 548 Engine. Not sure how many rpm's but it was around 4500.
Please let me know.
Rusty

Boatmaster
08-29-2004, 08:49 PM
I talked to him a few weeks ago and he was still trying to round up some props to demo, no word since?

HP350SC
08-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Haven't heard from him either. He plans on being at lake Billy Chinook Sept.11th, so I hope he gets it completed by then. The poker run is cancelled, but everyone had their reservations already so there should be some good races.

cruser
08-29-2004, 09:28 PM
There will also a dragboat race at Haystack res that weekend. Haystack is 5-6 miles from billy chinook. Come on over and see how we do it... Maybe a couple of the smaller boats might want to give it a try?
cruzer

HP350SC
08-30-2004, 07:00 AM
Cruser- Both days? and what times? Entry fee? Maybe we can run over there for a few hours. Thanks for info.

HP350SC
08-30-2004, 07:09 AM
BTW I'm sure we'll hear from RIM as soon as he has something to report!!! :wink:

Rock-it man
08-30-2004, 08:30 AM
BTW I'm sure we'll hear from RIM as soon as he has something to report!!! :wink:
YEP !!!! that was me in LA (Fri) headed to Weismans,we finished the drive on Sunday and just got home, so now will finish the motor and rigging ,hope to fire it uo Wed and go out Thur evening for the first test on the water. I will be at Lake Shasta Sat & Sun for prop testing.I have two props to try out so will let ya all know next week how it works. Plan on Lake Billy Chinnok the following weekend and then get dialed in for the Hot Boat Pokerrun in Havasu Oct 1-2.

HP350SC
08-30-2004, 04:40 PM
Hey that's great Wayne. I am looking forward to checking out your new surface drive setup. Wish you the best of luck as I know you've had a tough year. Takes a true hot boater to get through all that b/s! :D

Evo22
09-01-2004, 08:30 PM
hey whyane keep us posted,... currious to see where she runs out if the box

DogHouse
09-01-2004, 10:36 PM
I am hitting 110 mph with Bravo 1 w/34p Bravo one Four blade prop. I had 525 lbs of people in boat including myself two tanks of fuel (50 Gal.) I am scared i am going to break that Bravo 1 Drive soon. Especially when i put the 8:71 Littlefield on new 548 Engine. Not sure how many rpm's but it was around 4500.
Please let me know.
Rusty
Hey nice slip numbers. If your drive is a 1.5 ratio, that's -14%. If it's a 1.36 drive, then -4%. You gotta tell us how you do it!
:D

Rock-it man
09-02-2004, 02:04 PM
OK !!its running got the motor in last night and fired it up, the trans and drop box ( Gear Box) appears to work fine and the motor is freshened up so its off to Lake Shasta Sat for the first test of the Weisman drive ,will post some pics and results when I get back.

Turbojack
09-02-2004, 03:08 PM
I don't know about you, but I am tired of waiting for you to get the boat back & break some speed records.
Stay safe. Don't want to read when I get back Tuesday about any accidents.

Charley
09-02-2004, 03:11 PM
Absolutely...... Good luck rockit-man

hulshot
09-02-2004, 06:12 PM
Is it me or is that drive not to appealing to look at. It should work though.
\It looks like a modified arneson set up.
Go for it wayne. I want to read about the big numbers. I will be back in the water befor the end of Sept.

HP350SC
09-02-2004, 06:31 PM
I believe that is their surface drive setup. I'm pretty sure Wayne went with the style that looks more like an outdrive because it lined up with motor and transom cutout better.

pleasantcat
09-02-2004, 08:39 PM
rockit, i've been waiting for someone to put one of thase on a 20's daytona. i just changed engines and know im on borrowed time now. hell the ol' 556ci was a lil much for the drive and now the blown 555 is overkill. let me know what you think and what the final $ was. thnks sean
hey brian!!

DogHouse
09-03-2004, 06:27 AM
hey brian!!
Ya know we really should have run before you went and put that big bad blower motor in your boat. Now we'll never know who had the meanest n/a setup! So ya think you'll top Craig's mark now? :hammerhea
:D

TOBTEK
09-03-2004, 07:01 AM
Rock-it-man...did you ever sell your 4x4?

Rock-it man
09-03-2004, 01:15 PM
Rock-it-man...did you ever sell your 4x4?
I still have the 4x4 drive,seems no one wants it so it may become an anchor !!!!1 It worked great up to 1000 hp it was only when I installed the quadrotor whipple that it would not hold up but it did make it to 141.9 pmh !!!
Soon I will get tired of moving it around the shop and someone is going to get a real deal,guess someone has to buy high and sell low or there wouldn't be any good deals,I will even look at trades so Waht Ya Got ????????
Cleaning the boat this afternoon and will leavse for Shasta tomorrow early !! will post some results when I get back.

phebus
09-03-2004, 02:47 PM
What is the temp. at Shasta this time of year? Has to be much better than the river for achieving some speed.

Boatmaster
09-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Not really Shastas at 103 today. I'll be sold on the wiesman when it runs from one of the lake to the other with Speed Racer this weekend!! :D See you this weekend R-I-M.

Boatlesss
09-03-2004, 07:52 PM
RIM, I'd like to read an honest review of this weekends testing.
Seems that everyone sugar coats things then others drop hints of the truth and no one can follow.
Give us an honest review from getting on plane, cruising, accelerating, turning and top speed. Good/Bad

Well Done
09-04-2004, 07:29 PM
Hey Rocketman, can't wait for all the stats on the new drive. I am considering the same upgrade on my Tunnell. Would like to know on a sliding scale of 1 to 10 on how difficult the conversion was. Aprox. how many man hours did the conversion take?

Rock-it man
09-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Can't give ya a lot yet ! I got to Shasta 9:30 am Sat morning. Made three runs . The first time it was hard to get on plane and there was a lot of slip the prop was a 16.25x32 four blade trim was nuetral ran up to 75 for a couple miles all felt good,steering is much more positive probable becouse of the longer skeg so will have to learn the limits there. The second run was the same prop and had the same problem getting on plane , ran a couple miles at at 90 mph, I have the big pillys on so am not even making 1000 hp maybe 700-800 there was only 2-3 lbs boost showing, all felt good , played with the trim and did not notice any bad habits. The next run I ran the same set up up to 4700 rpm,same planing problems, at 4700 I was at 100 mph and ran a couple miles at that speed ,I had people watching all the time to see how the attitude of the boat was ,they said the bow ran higher that before at 100 mph.Now I put on a 17x29 four blade and made a run,it came on plane very well but I heard a funny sound so shut it down ,I pulled the standoff box inspection plat and all checked out well and checked everthing else. I started to make another run but as soon as I put the trans in gear there was a clunking sound I had never heard before ,it went away at 1000 rpm but I backed down and the sound got worse so I had it towed in.All checked out ok! on the trailer but could not take any chances so I took it home sat afternoon. this am I pulled the motor and low and behold it was the flex plate,im glad it wasnt the trans as that was what I thought at the lake. So will have a new one here Wed and back on the water Thur afternoon for more testing,then off the Lake Billy Chinook next weekend for more testing.Sorry there not a lot to tell yet othere than I didnt brake the drive like the last times out. Will keep ya all informed as things go.

Boatlesss
09-05-2004, 09:00 PM
Bravo, an honest review.
Glad it was something simple, if not to difficult to replace.
What gear ratio are you using?
What did this conversion cost?

pleasantcat
09-06-2004, 07:34 AM
I still have the 4x4 drive,seems no one wants it so it may become an anchor !!!!1 It worked great up to 1000 hp it was only when I installed the quadrotor whipple that it would not hold up but it did make it to 141.9 pmh !!!
Soon I will get tired of moving it around the shop and someone is going to get a real deal,guess someone has to buy high and sell low or there wouldn't be any good deals,I will even look at trades so Waht Ya Got ????????
Cleaning the boat this afternoon and will leavse for Shasta tomorrow early !! will post some results when I get back.
hey rock-it, im running more hp than my bravo can take for very long so i'm looking for drive options before something breaks. let me know what you think of the weisman or would the imco be enough?

hulshot
09-06-2004, 09:50 PM
Glad to hear it is somthing minor. Everyone is waiting for the numbers from you. I meet Jeff this weekend in the delta and road in his 26 sanger v. nice boat adn super nice guy. He said you had one of his props to try. His 26 DCB sounds pretty bad ass and should go good. You better break the 150 mark first, so hurry. Did you just freshin up the motor or did you try to get some more out of it.
I will probably be going to Idaho in a couple of weeks to get my little puddle jumper. I will look at mapp quest and see if going up through Oregon is the fastest way or going through Nevada and up is. Hope to hear from you soon.

Rock-it man
09-07-2004, 07:20 AM
Bravo, an honest review.
Glad it was something simple, if not to difficult to replace.
What gear ratio are you using?
What did this conversion cost?
The ratio is 1.21 I had the conversion done at the Weisman Shop. Pat built the standoff box to fit my hull ,I only had to move the motor forward 1/2 inch. Your looking around $ 30-35,000.00 depending if you need to buy a trans and hyd steering.one time out is not a fair test yet will know in a couple weeks how this thing really works, still a lot of testing to do.
Yes I freshened the motor while it was out so its rebuilt and ready to ROCK !!!!

XtrmWakeborder
09-07-2004, 04:58 PM
Yah got any pics of the new set up Rock-it?

Boatlesss
09-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Did your engine stay at its same installed height?
The photos seem to show a small drop box located inside the standoff box?????

Rock-it man
09-08-2004, 07:12 AM
Did your engine stay at its same installed height?
The photos seem to show a small drop box located inside the standoff box?????
Yes it stayed at the same height and there is a drop box that has the gears in it (drysumped) inside the standoff box ,got the motor in and finished last night and will test tonight I took pics last night and will post soon. will be at Lake Billy Chinook near Madras Oregon this weekend with a bunch from the Portland Poker Run.
So ! Hulshot what kind of puddle jumper did ya get !!!! YA !!! Jeff's boat looks great I checked it out when I borrowed the prop from him .
If all goes perfect I may go for a speed run at Havasu Oct 1-2 but only if I get the boat dialed in like before ,safety first !!!!!
Jeff ,will test your prop next weekend and let ya know how it worked. hurry up and get that thing done so I will have someone to play with !!!!!!

pleasantcat
09-08-2004, 05:37 PM
The ratio is 1.21 I had the conversion done at the Weisman Shop. Pat built the standoff box to fit my hull ,I only had to move the motor forward 1/2 inch. Your looking around $ 30-35,000.00 depending if you need to buy a trans and hyd steering.one time out is not a fair test yet will know in a couple weeks how this thing really works, still a lot of testing to do.
Yes I freshened the motor while it was out so its rebuilt and ready to ROCK !!!!
hey there rock-it,let me know more about your imco drive that's become a thorn in yer side. im on borrowed time with my bravo so, i may help ya move that thing. thnks sean

Rock-it man
09-09-2004, 07:28 AM
hey there rock-it,let me know more about your imco drive that's become a thorn in yer side. im on borrowed time with my bravo so, i may help ya move that thing. thnks sean
The IMCO drive is the 4x4 drive that uses a trans and standoff box,the trans ( BAM ) goes in the standoff box.It has been rebuilt NEW by IMCO you can call Dave there to check it out. The ratio they rebuilt it at is 1.36,it is standard length.It worked the best when the center of the drive shaft was even with the lowest part of the outside sponson. The boat ran flat with no bow lift and I ran it all the summer of 2003 with no problems it held up with 1000 hp and many speed runs of 120-137 mph using a 1471 blower shop blower on a 598 motor. I only had problems when I put the quadrotor whipple on it the 598 and really pumped up the boost ( 15-20 lbs). I have used the trans that came with it in the Weisman set up but I can get another one at dealer ( $ 2,500.00) , The standoff box is set up for the HYD steering arms so you will need them also as I used the steering on the Weisman setup also.
The trans allowed me to really bump up the cam becouse it made it driveable around the docks and you can maintain a high idle. I did not have to move the motor of the 4x4 it bolted right up,we have a Machine shop up here and can do the conversion here if you want this winter and we also build motors for boats,sprint cars and Rods, Thers pics of the drive on the site somewhere I will try and find them, Thanks ROCKIT MAN

HP350SC
09-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Pleasantcat- I'll post some pics. of Rock-it man's IMCO 4X4 later tonight when I get off work.

Craig
09-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Sean, buy quick, you're running on borrowed time my friend :skull:

HP350SC
09-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Here's 3 pictures of the drive, plus a cutaway view of one that I took at the L.A. boat show.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/522/1231DSC00292.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/522/1231DSC00291.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/522/1231DSC00290.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/522/1231DSC00353.jpg

pleasantcat
09-09-2004, 06:04 PM
so if i get you right, i still need a tranny, standoff box and steering right? my "x" propshaft is 4-1/2" below center pod. placement of the engine is an issue but if it doesnt move that's great. if i have to move forward im sunk.(new hatch, seat etc.) i already have dual imco assist now and dont know what's involved in changing that to full on power.
thanks for the info and i guess we'll see...

pleasantcat
09-09-2004, 06:09 PM
Sean, buy quick, you're running on borrowed time my friend :skull:
whats that card # again craig?

Rock-it man
09-10-2004, 07:17 AM
so if i get you right, i still need a tranny, standoff box and steering right? my "x" propshaft is 4-1/2" below center pod. placement of the engine is an issue but if it doesnt move that's great. if i have to move forward im sunk.(new hatch, seat etc.) i already have dual imco assist now and dont know what's involved in changing that to full on power.
thanks for the info and i guess we'll see...
I have the drive & standoff box to sell and all hardware ,I can include a trans at Dealer cost aprox $ 2,500.00 and will price the steering rams for ya at imco but yours may work,call imco Nevada and ask them.
Check where your propshaft center is in relation to the bottom of the outside sponson yours sounds about right,my propshaft was set even with the bottom of the outside sponsons .the total price will be a steal !!!
I will sell the Drive and standoff box for $ 8,000.00 So thats around $ 10,500 you would have in the whole setup.
Leaving here in an hour for Lake Billy Chinook will be back Sun night. will have some pics of the new setup and prop testing results.
YEEEEEE !!!!!!!! HAW !!!!!!!!!!!!I'M back on the water !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hulshot
09-12-2004, 08:45 PM
Well Wayne whats the scoop?? does it work better or not??? we want to know..

Rock-it man
09-13-2004, 07:40 AM
Well Wayne whats the scoop?? does it work better or not??? we want to know..
The dive wooks fine hasent broke yet ,but havent ran over 10 lbs boost so far and still trying tto figure out which prop to use. I first tried a 16.25x32 at Lake Billy Chinook on Sat but could hardley get on plane ,it worked at Shasta but not there, the elevation was way up there.I put on the prop I got from Washed Ahore and it worked great ( 16.25 x 29) which ran 110 mph at 5500 rpm at 9 lbs boost ,not very good !! ,the bow is still running a little high but im getting used to the trim ,A fried had a 16.5 x 34 but that was way too big for the elevation at that lake. Will be back to Shasta Next weekend to work on props and and adding some boost to get the speed up, Any one going to Shasta next weekend ??. It takeks a lot oftome to get dialed in .

hulshot
09-13-2004, 09:36 PM
Well at least you are running over 100 now. why is it so hard to get on plane now???? Is the prop too high now?

pleasantcat
09-13-2004, 10:32 PM
plane hell, im worried about the pseliling oops spelllilling or spelling. late night typing getting to ya rock-it :notam:
hey i talked with the guys at imco and after the # you thru out, well, i'll be a calling when im done selling all my bus tokens :D super price fer what you have and i'll pm you later. sean

kanedog
09-13-2004, 11:28 PM
hi rock-it-man
I have a herring 5 blade 28p rt hand prop for sale.built to supercat spec(dont know what that means).will measure the diameter for you tommorrow.$4495-u pay shippage.
I was using it on a 26 daytona with 1.35 gears.6 drive.i need a smaller pitch and itll be ready soon.best i could get was 94mph at 5300.Have been 106 but didnt look at the tach.hope that helps you.

Evo22
09-14-2004, 07:32 AM
hey rock-it good too hear you got it in the water with a little MPH what size props are you looking for for the wiesman I can check around to see what I can barrow for testing

Rock-it man
09-14-2004, 08:00 AM
I think the planing problem was a combination of the elevation and the prop. The first one was a 16.25 x 32 when I went to the 16.25 x 29 I got from Washed Ashore it worked fine and came on plane as good as before. I think im looking for a 16 x 33 or 16 x 31 to try .I will be at Lake Shasta next Sunday 9/19/04 and bump up the boost a little and run again.

Boatmaster
09-14-2004, 01:15 PM
R-I-M sorry to get off the subject, but have you talk to or heard from Tim. I was unable to E-mail him about the Skater. I must have got his e-mail wrong? Call me or have him E-mail if he is still interested. Drew 925-828-5775 or Boatmasters2@SBCglobal.net. Thanks hope all goes well this weekend.

Boatlesss
09-20-2004, 07:52 AM
Its been another week, any progress?

Rock-it man
09-20-2004, 02:50 PM
Its been another week, any progress?
Yes !!!! I posted a new thread in WEST with the latest numbers that show I need more prop.

hulshot
09-30-2004, 10:45 PM
Rokit, whats the deal. you have ben quiet for a while. any more info for use. inquiring minds want to know???