PDA

View Full Version : Sac Engine Shop

catgirl22
08-29-2004, 03:37 PM
Who Can Fix My Engine In Sac? My Engine Blew In June At Cat Attack Weekend. Its Still Not Right!!!! Is There Anyone In Sac That Will Do A Good Job On It! And Fix It Right. I Want It To Be Ready By Labor Day But I Doubt That. But I Deffinetly Need It By Sept 15 For A Poker Run!!!!!!!!!!

Kindsvater Flat
08-29-2004, 03:45 PM
Call Rex Hutchinsen. They can fix it or lead you to the right person.

gnarley
08-29-2004, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't send Rex anything you want nice or on time. I was involved with his shop when I was the engine man & manager of a Winston West team. The quality was not consistant nor was his help and many time parts were not delivered on time.
Try to find (T.O.E.) Tony Oddo in Suisun, Calif, he builds some offshore stuff and was in to big $$$ race engine stuff like cup cars, Busch and some of the touring series and I think is involved with Honker Cut marine and their rig. If you can get with Tony the quality is first rate.

Robbie Racer
08-29-2004, 07:58 PM
Walt Ott at Performance Machine in Manteca does good work too and it's not all that far from Sac.
Good luck,
RR

Mohavegirl
08-29-2004, 10:41 PM
I live in Yuba City, CA which is about 45 minutes drive north of Sac, you should call "D" at "Built by D Precision Engines", he and his son Cory do excellent work on all kinds of boat engines, his shop is right on Garden Hwy. and his number is 671-0580. He re-built our engine, a 427 Chevy (Corvette)in an 18 1/2 ft. low profile Challenger hull and it was the best!! After "D" worked on the engine, we never had any problems out of it. Plus, he and his son Cory are really nice people.
Hope you get your engine fixed in time for the big weekend. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Kindsvater Flat
08-29-2004, 11:13 PM
I live in Yuba City, CA which is about 45 minutes drive north of Sac, you should call "D" at "Built by D Precision Engines", he and his son Cory do excellent work on all kinds of boat engines, his shop is right on Garden Hwy. and his number is 671-0580. He re-built our engine, a 427 Chevy (Corvette)in an 18 1/2 ft. low profile Challenger hull and it was the best!! After "D" worked on the engine, we never had any problems out of it. Plus, he and his son Cory are really nice people.
Hope you get your engine fixed in time for the big weekend. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
D is the slowest shop I have heard of. Was well over a year before a friend got his motor back. Rex has been good with me so far.

Mohavegirl
08-29-2004, 11:42 PM
Sorry about your friend. "D" had our engine for a few weeks, but it was really messed up. I guess there are some places that have faster service, but we weren't interested in getting the engine fixed quick, we just wanted it done right the 1st time. Some of the places we have been to claim to work really fast, but 1/2 A.... do the job and then when we got it back, we had to take it back to the shop 3 or 4 times. I won't mention names, but one shop was working on our jet pump and after the 4th trip to the shop, we just said stop!!! and give us our money back and we'll find someone who can do the job the right way. Speedy fixes sometimes aren't always the best, but wow,
a whole year????
:eek: :eek:

catgirl22
08-30-2004, 07:57 AM
the last shop taht did my engine did a half-ass job.Thats wht i'm at where i'm at know I want it done right the frist time. (this Time) I sick of having cornors cut.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lucky
08-30-2004, 08:10 AM
Mike lewis racing engines www.lewisRacingEngines.com new equipment, meticulas - been doing tour cars and midgets - shop is out in now where but when you get to his shop your in awe -- on site dyno and all ... 800 984 6103 :mix:

Mohavegirl
08-30-2004, 11:39 AM
When you walk into "D's" shop, you can see all the trophies from all the racing engines that he has re-built, fixed and maintained. We recently had a Jet Boat Race with boats coming in a far away as New Zealand to run on the Yuba and Feather River, some of these guys had problems and I know D tried to help out. If he couldn't do the job, or didn't have the part, he knew who to send them too. This race was held here in Yuba City/Marysville over a 4 day period and people had nothing but good things to say about his shop. Unfortunately, this time of the year is really hard to get everybodys boat fixed when the bad stuff happens. D and his son Cory work a lot of hours during the "boating season" and they are very good at what they do. Precision engine work is not a fast fix, and doing a "mickey mouse" job is just not D's style. I know the family and like their work ethic. :D :D

Magnuman
08-30-2004, 06:55 PM
Does anyone know anything about SOS Marine in Granite Bay (Folsom Area)?
I was given a recommendation to have my boat rigged by them.
Thanks.

gnarley
08-30-2004, 06:56 PM
Mohavegirl, maybe this "D" guy you’re talking about is real nice and does good work; there are lots of "D's" around. When you want the best work from the best it is hard to know who provides that type of service or will even talk to you or work on your parts. Word of mouth sometimes nets a few of the great ones. IMO Tony Oddo is one of them and is in Northern CA. There are not many shops that are the caliber that his is, nor many shops that do work for auto manufactures like Ford, and Tony has, not to mention the engine development he has done for NASCAR teams.
If anyone is interested do a search on the net for Tony Oddo or read from the link below and I think you'll be surprised of the names associated.
http://www.southwesternstockcar.com/ww/2004/wwnews_1-16notes/

gnarley
08-30-2004, 06:57 PM
Does anyone know anything about SOS Marine in Granite Bay (Folsom Area)?
I was given a recommendation to have my boat rigged by them.
Thanks.
A good friend of mine has info on them, I will call and ask and post his response.

Mohavekid
08-30-2004, 07:18 PM
By Gnarley
"Mohavegirl, maybe this "D" guy you’re talking about is real nice and does good work; there are lots of "D's" around. When you want the best work from the best it is hard to know who provides that type of service or will even talk to you or work on your parts. Word of mouth sometimes nets a few of the great ones."
Gnarley, Mohavegirl is my wife. I don't know a thing about your guy, Tony Oddo, but I do know this. Built by "D" Preceision Engine's took my BBC that was in poor shape, making little power and un-reliable as hell and turned it into a BBC that put out about 600 useable horsepower and was reliable as a stocker. I ran that motor for years and it always started with just a flick of the key and shocked the S*** out of more than a few other boaters.
Yes his shop was kind of slow, but I wanted and got a top notch motor that was everything I had hoped for, and most importantly, everything D said it would be. In my book that is money and time well spent.
The botom line is find a shop you're comfortable with and spend your money wisely.
Good luck.

acatitude
08-30-2004, 07:37 PM
mohave kid D in yuba built my jet boat motor in 1985, and person I sold it to just took heads off last year, looked and put them back on. he does great work. I would recommend also a drive to manteca to Walt Ott. my 02 cents worth. my motors going to walt next weekend so wait a while