PDA

View Full Version : Soooooo Need to know what you guys tow

jdogginla
08-30-2004, 09:10 AM
your boats with. In preparing to purchase a new boat I need to decide what type of truck to haul it with. I'm going to have to get ride of cars, can't really afford the cars, new boat and a truck, so I was thinking an Escalade or Navigator, are these sufficient enough to pull a 26-30' boat?

dicudmore
08-30-2004, 09:14 AM
02 Chevy 2500HD Duramax diesel/Allison trans...
14 mpg towing my 29...
almost 20 not towing on the highway

victorfb
08-30-2004, 09:15 AM
Imho. NO!
thats a heavy boat for that short wheel base and lack of braking power. but many do it. just ask yourself this, is the rest of your family riding in the tow vehicle with you?

BarryMac
08-30-2004, 09:19 AM
01 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab, 8.1L, Allison Transmission (It rocks), 2WD...
gjb

OGShocker
08-30-2004, 09:23 AM
2003 Chevrolet 2500HD DuraMax. Everything else is just a F.O.R.D. :p

lucky
08-30-2004, 09:23 AM
my only complaint - brakes kinda suck on the 1/2 tons - other wise still pull my 21 and average 12mph towing

DryHeatOnly
08-30-2004, 09:31 AM
Stock 2004 Ford F350 6.0 PowerStroke Diesel 4x4 Long Bed Crew Cab :D
It's been an awesome tow vehicle.
Pulls my 4400lb boat like it's not even back there.
Pulls my 9000lb toyhauler (when loaded) nicely too.
No complaints.

jdogginla
08-30-2004, 09:35 AM
I'd like to get a F-250/350 or something of that calibur but I need a nice vehichle for work reasons, and can't afford to get a truck and keep the nice car for work, so I need an Suv that can handle both.

jdogginla
08-30-2004, 09:37 AM
I'd like to get a F-250/350 or something of that calibur but I need a nice vehichle for work reasons, and can't afford to get a truck and keep the nice car for work, so I need an Suv that can "wear two hats."

Dave C
08-30-2004, 09:37 AM
Chevy, 1/2 ton 5.3 litre 4x4. tows good. boat is 6000+ lbs.

PHX ATC
08-30-2004, 09:47 AM
2001 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel, 4x4, ext cab, long bed with a few goodies
2004 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel, 4x4, quad cab, short bed wtih a few goodies
I'm seeing a trend here...............tow's them all great. Mine gets 21 mpg not towing to and from work and about 15 to 16 towing. The 2004 gets around 2 mpg less all around the horn.
Love them.
Go diesel or go home. :cool:

Tommy1005
08-30-2004, 09:53 AM
there's always the excursion with the diesel

FRENCHIE
08-30-2004, 10:00 AM
your boats with. In preparing to purchase a new boat I need to decide what type of truck to haul it with. I'm going to have to get ride of cars, can't really afford the cars, new boat and a truck, so I was thinking an Escalade or Navigator, are these sufficient enough to pull a 26-30' boat?
first of all go with the SHOCKWAVE...you wont regret it!!!
second i tow a 25' SHOCKWAVE with my 02' f150 5.4 ltr.....no real probs...would be nice to have a diesel...but got to wait until next year to make a decision...prob will go with the ford f250 or 350 crew cab diesel!!!
hope this helps!!! :rollside:

Mandelon
08-30-2004, 10:01 AM
If you must stay with an SUV, either the Excursion or the 3/4 ton Suburban are the only options I'd consider.

Toomstone
08-30-2004, 10:05 AM
i tow my 28 magic deckboat with a denali.The only mods are a gibson exhaust and k&n air filter. it has about 20 less hp than the escalade due to the chip but still the same 6.0 engine. it hauls the 28 with no problem at all.
Toomstone :crossx:

victorfb
08-30-2004, 10:07 AM
you can order the suburban with a tow package that helps quite a bit. i would ask if there is an option for increased braking power aswell. i think they used to install 1 ton rear axles if ordered. definatly something to consider. for me, towing up the grades and getting a few more MPG has no merrit when compared to safety. you NEED to be able to slow the thing down safely. especially in an emergancy situation.

victorfb
08-30-2004, 10:08 AM
i tow my 28 magic deckboat with a denali.The only mods are a gibson exhaust and k&n air filter. it has about 20 less hp than the escalade due to the chip but still the same 6.0 engine. it hauls the 28 with no problem at all.
now thats just friggin scary. :squiggle:

91nordic29
08-30-2004, 10:16 AM
02 Chevy 2500HD Duramax diesel/Allison trans...
14 mpg towing my 29...
almost 20 not towing on the highway
same for us. Dmax is Dbomb. :D

Ziggy
08-30-2004, 10:27 AM
Power Stroke Diesel---affectionately known as a PSD. 3/4 or 1 ton should keep you and the family safe.......and arrive on time.

Toomstone
08-30-2004, 10:32 AM
now thats just friggin scary. :squiggle:
:confused: its rated at like 7000 lbs of towing :)

Kilrtoy
08-30-2004, 10:33 AM
Go as big and powerful as the checkbook will allow

summerlove
08-30-2004, 10:33 AM
Imho. NO!
thats a heavy boat for that short wheel base and lack of braking power. but many do it. just ask yourself this, is the rest of your family riding in the tow vehicle with you?
if it's the Escalade ESV you're ok - 6.0 L and you should be fine. Dump the navigator. POS.
I tow my 24' Campbell with a 2004 Chevrolet Suburban Z71. We weigh in at a cool 12,600 punds. The engine is a 5.3 and is a little weak on some big grades but fo rthe most part it tows just fine.....Oh, and what OGS said. I actually agree with him! on this one, that is.... :D

Brian Ray
08-30-2004, 11:11 AM
We currently tow with a Navigator....there are better options. :yuk: I wish I could convince the wife to get rid of that POS but she refuses. She said I can have any tow vehicle I want but I have to give up my car ('96 Impala SS), which will not happen. So we'll just continue to tow with the "dog" I mean Navigator. :rollside:

Havasu Hangin'
08-30-2004, 11:15 AM
04 3/4 ton Sub 4x4
For a few minutes (up the grade out of Indio), I actually saw 1 MPG on the computer... :cry:

MOBrien
08-30-2004, 11:17 AM
I tow our 24' Cheetah (trip axle) with an F-150 supercrew...with the 5.4 with exhaust and a K&N. Most of my towing is local and fairly flat compared to that of the Baker Grade and hills like that, but tows our rig well up here in NorCal.
Good luck with your search. If I was gonna do it over again, I would've gone with the diesel. My $.02.
-MOB

DryHeatOnly
08-30-2004, 11:46 AM
Sorry about the hijack here but it's along the same lines...I'm looking at an '04 Yukon XL 1500 with the 5.3. It's going to be my wife's daily driver but we'll also take it to the river to give my truck a rest and provide more comfort for the kids. We store the boat out there so it won't do any long distance towing.
Question...will the 2x2 be ok for launching my 4400-4800lb boat? Should I get the 1500 4x4 instead? There's a 2mpg diff.
DHO.
BTW...that $4500 GM rebate on the '04's is pretty nice :cool:

Dave C
08-30-2004, 12:09 PM
I never put my truck in 4x4 when launching. We don't need it and our boat is heavy. 6000+ lbs.
You should be able to pull your boat on paved ramps with 2wd and no tire spin.
I know this is challenging for some "other" people but the launchramp is NOT a dragstrip. (at least not while its crowded) ;)
bTW do they still have 0% financing... thats nice too. ;).... I wish I had some more $$.... :mad:

TBONE1904
08-30-2004, 12:21 PM
1986 Crew Cab 1 Ton dually...19ft Bahner

dicudmore
08-30-2004, 12:31 PM
Sorry about the hijack here but it's along the same lines...I'm looking at an '04 Yukon XL 1500 with the 5.3. It's going to be my wife's daily driver but we'll also take it to the river to give my truck a rest and provide more comfort for the kids. We store the boat out there so it won't do any long distance towing.
Question...will the 2x2 be ok for launching my 4400-4800lb boat? Should I get the 1500 4x4 instead? There's a 2mpg diff.
DHO.
the only place any of my 2wd trucks has ever spun tires pulling out was windsor beach...

BigDogIvan
08-30-2004, 12:46 PM
'02 2500HD Crew Silverado w/6.0. Does nice on flat land and small grades. SUCKS on hills and the gas milege is for crap. If I were to do it again it would be a duramax hands down. Toomstone.... What are you getting for milege with that Danali? I'm lucky to get 9 on a good day towing.
BD

victorfb
08-30-2004, 01:33 PM
:confused: its rated at like 7000 lbs of towing :)
what is it rated for braking power? rated towing capacity is total wieght. so minus the weight of the vehicle, lets say 3500#, now you have a towing capacity of 3500#. how much do you think your boat and trailer plus all the gear and people wiegh in at? getting scary yet?
all i hear on this thread is how well or poorly thier tow rigs do while climbing grades and such. hell, i dont care if i get 3 MPG and a top speed of 15 MPH, as long as i can stop that thing in a hurry when i have to. especially in a slight bend were the trailer out weighs the rig and is now pushing it to the side a bit. can you say "roll over"? i know this a HUGE dissagreement with alot of you. but do this. ask your insurance agent what they will cover if you get in an accident while towing that much weight. trust me, they know the laws and all towing capacities and DO use them to thier advantage. if they find you were over your towing capacity, they will not cover you. and they will check. remember, the towing capacity is the TOTAL wieght. rig and trailer and cargo.
ive had this arguement with many people with 5th wheel trailers aswell. i have a 38' that is 15000#. with a 1 ton duelly the towing cpacity is 12000 but with a 5th wheel they say its more. ok. but now minus the wieght of the truck and i am definatly over wieght. i now tow with a F550. not so much for the legal issue, but the brakes on the 1 ton just werent cutting it. i cant even imagine what it would be like towing those big boats with a Danali or something like that. yea, it may tow up the hill and get great mileage, but when you get in a situation that calls for heavy braking, all i ask is please be behind me. WAYYYYYYY behind me.

jdogginla
08-30-2004, 01:41 PM
what is it rated for braking power? rated towing capacity is total wieght. so minus the weight of the vehicle, lets say 3500#, now you have a towing capacity of 3500#. how much do you think your boat and trailer plus all the gear and people wiegh in at? getting scary yet?
all i hear on this thread is how well or poorly thier tow rigs do while climbing grades and such. hell, i dont care if i get 3 MPG and a top speed of 15 MPH, as long as i can stop that thing in a hurry when i have to. especially in a slight bend were the trailer out weighs the rig and is now pushing it to the side a bit. can you say "roll over"? i know this a HUGE dissagreement with alot of you. but do this. ask your insurance agent what they will cover if you get in an accident while towing that much weight. trust me, they know the laws and all towing capacities and DO use them to thier advantage. if they find you were over your towing capacity, they will not cover you. and they will check. remember, the towing capacity is the TOTAL wieght. rig and trailer and cargo.
ive had this arguement with many people with 5th wheel trailers aswell. i have a 38' that is 15000#. with a 1 ton duelly the towing cpacity is 12000 but with a 5th wheel they say its more. ok. but now minus the wieght of the truck and i am definatly over wieght. i now tow with a F550. not so much for the legal issue, but the brakes on the 1 ton just werent cutting it. i cant even imagine what it would be like towing those big boats with a Danali or something like that. yea, it may tow up the hill and get great mileage, but when you get in a situation that calls for heavy braking, all i ask is please be behind me. WAYYYYYYY behind me.
Are you sure that towing capacity includes the weight of the actual vehichle? I've had more than one dealer tell me that it includes cargo and towing.......not actual rig, which would make sense, hence the term "towing capacity". Please enlighten me on where you got your info. Thanks

Kilrtoy
08-30-2004, 01:48 PM
DHO,
WHAT THE HELL IS A 2X2
Next things is if you buy a chevy you need to trade in your shockwave and get a COMMANDER.....
We have a 4X2 and have never had a problem.......

DryHeatOnly
08-30-2004, 01:54 PM
bTW do they still have 0% financing... thats nice too. ;).... I wish I had some more $$.... :mad:
Yes, it's still available but you lose the rebate. :idea:

DryHeatOnly
08-30-2004, 01:58 PM
DHO,
WHAT THE HELL IS A 2X2
Next things is if you buy a chevy you need to trade in your shockwave and get a COMMANDER.....
We have a 4X2 and have never had a problem.......
LOL!! I always had trouble with math :rolleyes:
But the Chevy is for the wife :wink: They have nice interiors but I'll leave the heavy work for my Ford PSD :D

dicudmore
08-30-2004, 02:10 PM
Are you sure that towing capacity includes the weight of the actual vehichle? I've had more than one dealer tell me that it includes cargo and towing.......not actual rig, which would make sense, hence the term "towing capacity". Please enlighten me on where you got your info. Thanks
no, the towing weight DOES NOT include the weight of the vehicle....
if you look at the gcwr on the door sticker, yes that does. But the tow rating listed in the sales literature is trailer weight...
Dan <---worked for Chevrolet for 10 years prior to this Hyundai gig

jdogginla
08-30-2004, 02:18 PM
no, the towing weight DOES NOT include the weight of the vehicle....
if you look at the gcwr on the door sticker, yes that does. But the tow rating listed in the sales literature is trailer weight...
Dan <---worked for Chevrolet for 10 years prior to this Hyundai gig
That's what I thought.......Hence the terms "payload" "towing capacity" and "gcwr".
Dan.......if you could give me the correct definitions of:
Payload: Is that the weight allowed inside the vehichle?
Towing capacity: Seem to have answered that one, although Victor seems to disagree.
Curb Weight:
Torque:
Max Torque:
I'm a newbie, and I've been driving european convertibles and a ford explorer....LOL

victorfb
08-30-2004, 02:26 PM
your right, i was trying to talk laymans terms as most people go off the GVW. if it states a "Towing capacity" then i would imagine that would be just that, the Towing capacity. but what you still dont seem to get is the point im trying to get across is NOT how much you can tow, but the amount of wieght you can SAFELY stop. have you ever seen an accident with a trailer going UP the hill? all the ones ive seen are either on flat ground or going down hill, and useually in a curve of some sort. then again some have just been on flat straight aways that maybe wind was a factor. none the less, all im trying to do is enlighten the folks that dont know, about the braking and its importance. trust me, ive mentioned this many times, and you are by far not the first to question it. yes, we can go back and forth with all sorts of mathimatical equations and set limits from various factories, but that is not my intention here. i just dont like seeing folks upside down on the side or in the middle of the road because they didnt realize how hard it was to control that much wieght with a lighter tow vehicle. it takes braking power,weight and wheelbase (leverage) to help keep it under control. not pulling power. dont get me wrong, im not here to argue with or make enemies, but even if afterwards some of you hate me,so be it. but if just one person now has been informed and will now double think thier towing ideas, then ive done well. false sence of security is a killer.

Roxysnow
08-30-2004, 02:31 PM
2004 Chevy 2500HD 4x2 - We tow about 7000lbs. - was towing it with the 2002 Tahoe 5.3 V8 - no problem just pushing it!

jdogginla
08-30-2004, 02:38 PM
your right, i was trying to talk laymans terms as most people go off the GVW. if it states a "Towing capacity" then i would imagine that would be just that, the Towing capacity. but what you still dont seem to get is the point im trying to get across is NOT how much you can tow, but the amount of wieght you can SAFELY stop. have you ever seen an accident with a trailer going UP the hill? all the ones ive seen are either on flat ground or going down hill, and useually in a curve of some sort. then again some have just been on flat straight aways that maybe wind was a factor. none the less, all im trying to do is enlighten the folks that dont know, about the braking and its importance. trust me, ive mentioned this many times, and you are by far not the first to question it. yes, we can go back and forth with all sorts of mathimatical equations and set limits from various factories, but that is not my intention here. i just dont like seeing folks upside down on the side or in the middle of the road because they didnt realize how hard it was to control that much wieght with a lighter tow vehicle. it takes braking power,weight and wheelbase (leverage) to help keep it under control. not pulling power. dont get me wrong, im not here to argue with or make enemies, but even if afterwards some of you hate me,so be it. but if just one person now has been informed and will now double think thier towing ideas, then ive done well. false sence of security is a killer.
Victor........I'm sorry if you thought I came off as a guy that want's to argue, I'm just trying to get as much infor as possible, and your statement regarding towing capacity included the total weight of the rig and trailer didn't sound right, hence the reason I asked other questions. I'm with you, I don't want to roll over with a ton of weight behind a truck. I'm just trying to figure out what kind of rig can accomodate my needs. Unfortunately a dually or f250 or something like that doesn't work for my needs. Your info is helpful though.

DryHeatOnly
08-30-2004, 02:41 PM
victorfb...you bring up a real valid point. I know the old Suburban brakes sucked. I believe they went to 4-wheel discs 2 years ago.
I have an old '92 Burb that was getting pushed a bit on braking just carrying a 12' bike trailer with 4 quads on it.

BigDogIvan
08-30-2004, 02:50 PM
all i hear on this thread is how well or poorly thier tow rigs do while climbing grades and such. hell, i dont care if i get 3 MPG and a top speed of 15 MPH, as long as i can stop that thing in a hurry when i have to.
Oh I hear ya!! I definatly want to be able to Whoas on and know I can and not have any problems. I'm pulling about 5300# plus bodies and suitcases so I'm definatly in good shape. On the gas milege thing I just wanted to point out how poorly these gas engins get.
BD

hava life
08-30-2004, 02:54 PM
DHO
we have a '02 tahoe 4x2 and have no problems pulling , launching , and retrieving the boat. I don't see any use to get a 4x4 for the wife, last thing I want the wife to do is think she can go 4 wheeling. :)

DryHeatOnly
08-30-2004, 03:07 PM
DHO
we have a '02 tahoe 4x2 and have no problems pulling , launching , and retrieving the boat. I don't see any use to get a 4x4 for the wife, last thing I want the wife to do is think she can go 4 wheeling. :)
Yeah, let's keep the deserts safe :supp:
Thanks for the info...that's what I wanna hear.

Havasu Cig
08-30-2004, 03:14 PM
Towing 12000 pounds, 04 2500 HD D-Max/Allison.

SoCalOffshore
08-30-2004, 03:15 PM
'03 Chev 2500HD with DMax and Allison. Pulls soo good that I got a speeding ticket coming back from Havasu going up the Needles grade doing 70pmh pulling my 32' Schiada. :D

Sleek-Jet
08-30-2004, 03:24 PM
Here's an idea, maybe everone should slow down a little.
Stopping all that weight is harder the faster you're going. Just because you're going down hill or can yank the trailer at 80 mph doesn't mean you should. :D

BadBahner
08-30-2004, 04:02 PM
03 3500 Dually Dmax/Allison
or
04 1500 Suburban w/tow package (very important)
Eric

catgirl22
08-30-2004, 04:09 PM
Navi All The Way!!!!! I'm Pulling A 26 Daytona Up And Down The Summits In Lake Tahoe All Summer At Wink Wink 70+++!!!!!!

WUTWZAT
08-30-2004, 04:33 PM
I have one of the lightest 18 footers around, hardly any freeboard and an all aluminum motor..... Very light. I tow with a new Expediton with a 7 inch lift and 35" tire. No motor, intake, exhaust, chips mods yet. and if my boat weighed anymore I think I'd be hating life. I feel once I get the exhaust done and intake, I'll be a little happier, But still wouldn't try to tow anything much heavier or longer. You should look into a Diesel if you can afford it, plus you can for $700. make it run on used vegetable oil which is free from restraunts who normally pay to dispose of it.
Jason

voodoomedman
08-30-2004, 04:51 PM
2002 Silverado. 4.8 litre Flowmater 3 chamber and k&n generation II intake. 10 " lift on 35" tires. Store it at the river but when I bring it back here it will pull my boat up cajon without a problem.

Lightning
08-30-2004, 04:54 PM
Sorry about the hijack here but it's along the same ....
Do you really think so? the 2005's will be out in a month, and your 2004 will be considered a year old in three months. Then again, if you are looking to save money on any vehicle, I guess buying new is not the best route to go.

DogHouse
08-30-2004, 05:14 PM
For the most part I agree with most of the responses that say you need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck/suv to safely and comfortably pull a big boat. If you must stay with the 1/2 ton SUV for business reasons (a realtor perhaps?), there are things you can do to improve the vehicle's capability and turn it into a strong tow performer. Baer (www.baerracing.com) makes huge brake kits that are meant to take advantage of the large diameter wheels that people are using these days. That should solve any braking issues. Airbags and better shocks will keep the extra load nicely under control. HP/torque can be significantly boosted with any number of different blower packages, eg. Whipple (www.whipplesuperchargers.com). Depending on which one you pick, the transmission could become a weak link, but there are things that can be done to improve them as well. Anything is possible, it's all about $$$! ;)

Boatcop
08-30-2004, 06:15 PM
Not to advise you on what to tow with, but if you decide on a GM product, give Jay Photoglou (just photoglou on the board) a call and see what he can do for you.
He (just today) set me up with a killer deal on a Tahoe. It won't hurt to let him try and beat the best offer you can find.

jbtrailerjim
08-30-2004, 09:41 PM
I tow my boat with a 2002 F-150 Super Crew with a 5.4Ltr. I'm a Ford guy and have always had good luck with them. So, you won't see me recomending no Chevy. My next truck will be a F-250 with a 6.0 Powerstroke diesel in it. If you must have a have an suv, I'd get an Excursion with a 6.0 Powerstroke in it. A friend of mine has one and pulls his 31' Formula Fastech with no problems.

6 Dollar Boat
08-30-2004, 09:58 PM
If you must stay with an SUV, either the Excursion or the 3/4 ton Suburban are the only options I'd consider.
I agree, I wouldn't tow with anything less than 3/4 ton. If you get a truck, get diesel, the mileage and torque are great... :D BTW I prefer GM, Fords always seem to do this...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/831102_0284_3_.JPG

dicudmore
08-31-2004, 07:27 AM
Here's an idea, maybe everone should slow down a little.
Stopping all that weight is harder the faster you're going. Just because you're going down hill or can yank the trailer at 80 mph doesn't mean you should. :D
totally agree....
we tow w/the cruise on 65

DryHeatOnly
08-31-2004, 07:41 AM
Do you really think so? the 2005's will be out in a month, and your 2004 will be considered a year old in three months. Then again, if you are looking to save money on any vehicle, I guess buying new is not the best route to go.
Yes. I think mileage has more to do with resale value than a 1-year model difference. Especially with no significant changes between 2004-2005. I'd be able to prove when the vehicle was purchased (late 2004) too. Either way, we're going to put alotta miles on it so I'll be screwed no matter what. I'll take the -$4500 and go from there. ;)

FRENCHIE
08-31-2004, 08:22 AM
such a rational guy sam!!!! :) :rollside:

PHX ATC
08-31-2004, 09:31 AM
I'd be able to prove when the vehicle was purchased (late 2004) too. Either way, we're going to put alotta miles on it so I'll be screwed no matter what. I'll take the -$4500 and go from there. ;)
Did that with my 01 truck. Bought it late in August of 01 and got the huge rebates!

Phat Matt
08-31-2004, 07:41 PM
DHO,
Why do you gotta be a hater? :) Can't you at the very least replace COMMANDER with Bayliner? Oh, wait. I think you were defending them in another thread. :D

Phat Matt
08-31-2004, 07:48 PM
...but to stick with the thread. I use a 2003 Excursion 6.0 PSD. It's like the boat isn't even back there.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1524DSC03821.jpg

Havasu Hangin'
08-31-2004, 08:04 PM
...It's like the boat isn't even back there.
As much as Commanders are in the shop, it probably isn't back there. :jawdrop:
Sorry...couldn't resist. :D

Phat Matt
08-31-2004, 08:14 PM
As much as Commanders are in the shop, it probably isn't back there. :jawdrop:
Sorry...couldn't resist. :D
Yeah, I thought I was leaving myself open for an attack as I hit submit. :jawdrop: :D

Havasu Hangin'
08-31-2004, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I thought I was leaving myself open for an attack as I hit submit. :jawdrop: :D
If you don't ram people in the channel...it won't need so much work... :messedup:

Phat Matt
08-31-2004, 08:30 PM
If you don't ram people in the channel...it won't need so much work... :messedup:
When are you going out next? I think I'll go rent a pontoon! :boxingguy :D

SchellSchock
09-01-2004, 10:38 AM
2003 2500 Suburban, 4:10 Gears, Autoride Supension, 8.1BBC, and Tow package. Almost the same GVRW as the HD Pickup. Mileage isn't the best but towed my uncle's 26' Fishing boat no problem. Tows my 21' cookie cutter boat at 3750# like it isn't even there. (80mph coming out of the desert up I8 in cruise control with both AC's runnin.

VelocityDriver
09-01-2004, 11:10 AM
V10 Excursion. Get about 10 mpg @75, but has a ton of room.

RiverOtter
09-01-2004, 11:41 AM
I have an 02 Z71 Burb. I have towed my 23' 4,100 lb + tandem trailer 900 miles from NY to TN. The Z71 has a great suspension and brakes and tows great. You hardly notice the boat back there from a handling and breaking standpoint. The problem comes in two little words. Horse Power!!! Oh yeah and on more work, Torque. It ain't got enough or either. It's ok up to 65 or 70 mph and then it needs more. If Chevy would put the Duramax in the Burb, I'd buy one tomorrow. The pickup thing will not with my family.

63stevens
09-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Tow 5000lb river cruiser with 2002 Ford f-350 crew cab 4x4 long bed Diesel. Get 16 mpg's and don't have slow down for the hills.

Bryan Rose
09-01-2004, 01:55 PM
2002 F-350 crew cab Dually with a 7.3.....
Pulls anything I can find...
Seriosly consider diesel anything, you will not regret it. One word of caution , whatever you buy make sure you like it because if it is a diesel it will last forever...
Kind of worries me some time watching people pull to much load with not enough truck, :hammerhea get more than you need so in the future it will not hold you back from a bigger boat purchase.
Most of all keep the shiny side up.
Bryan

RACER52
09-01-2004, 03:42 PM
04 2500hd Duramax
tows my 26 cat like its not there.
Just towed from San Diego to NorCal with a 30ft formula. 10,000lbs
towed good. gas mpg sucked but the truck is not even broken in yet.
Racer

Some Kind Of Monster
09-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Pulls the monster no problems!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1683CIMG0384.JPG

dicudmore
09-03-2004, 12:58 PM
When are you going out next? I think I'll go rent a pontoon! :boxingguy :D
rent this Matt.....you guys can borrow my Sun-Tracker, I haven't used it all year and the ends are already sharpened :2purples:

Phat Matt
09-03-2004, 01:42 PM
rent this Matt.....you guys can borrow my Sun-Tracker, I haven't used it all year and the ends are already sharpened :2purples:
Nice! Dicudmore, always looking out for a fellow HB'er! :D

OutCole'd
09-03-2004, 01:46 PM
I tow with a 72' Pinto, Kicks a ss on the downhills.

dicudmore
09-03-2004, 01:54 PM
Nice! Dicudmore, always looking out for a fellow HB'er! :D
damn right, save that rental fee for beer $$$...
next year I'm taking the pontoon to the ULTRA regatta to crash the party :hammerhea
j/k guys.....

voodoomedman
09-04-2004, 10:05 AM
damn right, save that rental fee for beer $$$...
next year I'm taking the pontoon to the ULTRA regatta to crash the party :hammerhea
j/k guys.....
As long as you don't crash into my boat and you bring me some beer!!!

dicudmore
09-04-2004, 10:42 AM
As long as you don't crash into my boat and you bring me some beer!!!
no worries :D
I won't crash yours, or THOR'S...
ok I wouldn't crash any of them, but I thought it was funny :cool:

BigDogIvan
09-04-2004, 10:48 PM
I bet it does!! :eek: :2purples: :eek:
BD

prop check
09-06-2004, 03:35 PM
we tow with a 01 limited 4x4 diesel excursion... it is perfect for our family

phebus
09-06-2004, 03:39 PM
Yep, you blew right by my Vega with spinners :D

09-06-2004, 03:44 PM
Vortec if gas engine push thoses Fords up the hills

BajaMike
09-07-2004, 02:00 PM
For that size boat, get a 3/4 ton Suburban or Excursion, with the trailor tow package, or a 3/4 ton or 1 ton crew cab truck!!
:rollside:

dc96819
09-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Going up the 10 Frwy toward the 177 would be a killer with a 1500 with the wrong gearing :rolleyes: