PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer mishap killed my new amps.

bohica
08-30-2004, 10:57 AM
Picked up the the Conquest this weekend with the nice system intalled by Car Toyz. The system sounded great and the install was very clean, but
2 hours on the water later and I have no stereo. The tube for the speedometer came off the back of the guage and proceeded to soak both amps. Major bummer, but between Car Toyz and Conquest, I'm sure they work it out to who's gonna cover the cost of replacing them. All I know is, it shouldn't be out of my pocket.
I've had 5 high performance boats, and have never had the tube come off at the dash. Had them get clogged or come off at the transom, but never at the dash. Car Toyz suggests I put a GPS speedo in. They say it will come off again. Anyone else have this problem.

Havasu Hangin'
08-30-2004, 11:07 AM
The tube will come off if you don't clamp it properly (sadly, a $2 part may have caused your problem).
GPS is nice, but you'll need to fill the holes in the transom (in addition to buying a $350 speedo)...been there, done that.

ROZ
08-30-2004, 11:09 AM
I would think that Conquest would be liable for the source of the water, but it seems like the installers could have partial blame for installing them there.
I know HH and I have always preeched that heat, humidity, and the chance of something like this happening is why we don't recommend putting them in the engine compartments. Shops will say that they rarely have a problem, but it's only a matter of time before it does. Most of the time you're s.o.l. , but I would think that these guys will take care of you.
Shops do not get reimbursed from the MFG for water damaged units.

bohica
08-30-2004, 11:13 AM
Roz, the amps were not in the engine compartment. They are mounted on the wall behind the dash board in the little porta potty storage area. A zip tie was used clamp on the tube to the guage.

Havasu Hangin'
08-30-2004, 11:25 AM
A zip tie was used clamp on the tube to the guage.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it didn't work as planned...
I know a guy who got his engine installed, and the shop put a zip-tie on the oil pressure sending unit.
After the tow, we renamed him "Captain Hazelwood"... :eek:

ROZ
08-30-2004, 11:26 AM
Roz, the amps were not in the engine compartment. They are mounted on the wall behind the dash board in the little porta potty storage area. A zip tie was used clamp on the tube to the guage.
Oops, I read too quickly and didn't see that it came off the speedometer itself. Thanks
However those people who do install them inside the engine compartment risk the same type of damage without any recourse.
I hope Magic covers you...

bohica
08-30-2004, 11:42 AM
I had a freind that picked up a brand new Eliminator this year. Same thing happened to him at the launch ramp on his first trip out. But in his case it was the fuel pressure gauge. Filled up his boat ankle deep in fuel. Lucky for him it didn't blow up.
So what are all the other builders using to connect the hoses to the guages?

Havasu Hangin'
08-30-2004, 12:28 PM
So what are all the other builders using to connect the hoses to the guages?
I'm not a builder, but I put aircraft fittings on mine, and a small SS clamp on the barb behind the dash. It is much easier to tighten a clamp than a zip-tie.

ROZ
08-30-2004, 01:00 PM
Things that make you go hmmmm.

Mr. Naudio
08-30-2004, 01:54 PM
Picked up the the Conquest this weekend with the nice system intalled by Car Toyz. The system sounded great and the install was very clean, but
2 hours on the water later and I have no stereo. The tube for the speedometer came off the back of the guage and proceeded to soak both amps. Major bummer, but between Car Toyz and Conquest, I'm sure they work it out to who's gonna cover the cost of replacing them. All I know is, it shouldn't be out of my pocket.
I've had 5 high performance boats, and have never had the tube come off at the dash. Had them get clogged or come off at the transom, but never at the dash. Car Toyz suggests I put a GPS speedo in. They say it will come off again. Anyone else have this problem.
I can personally gaurantee that you will not be paying one cent to have either one of them fixed.

BoatFloating
08-30-2004, 02:02 PM
Oops, I read too quickly and didn't see that it came off the speedometer itself. Thanks
I hope this was a joke as well Roz.... It was Conquest :mix: If not I think you been smelling the glue too long :idea:

Mr. Naudio
08-30-2004, 02:04 PM
I would think that Conquest would be liable for the source of the water, but it seems like the installers could have partial blame for installing them there.
I know HH and I have always preeched that heat, humidity, and the chance of something like this happening is why we don't recommend putting them in the engine compartments. Shops will say that they rarely have a problem, but it's only a matter of time before it does. Most of the time you're s.o.l. , but I would think that these guys will take care of you.
Shops do not get reimbursed from the MFG for water damaged units.
Spoken like a true non installer :smile:
Cmon Roz its a boat chance of water damage (no matter where you install the stuff. :confused:
Like everything in this business there is always a trade off.
Like hidden so as not to get stolen, or easy to get to,or somplace cool.
Or no box to save room,or box for more punch,car stuff for better sound marine stuff for white grills.
Bottom line CarToyz stands behind EVERYTHING we do.
And most of what Roz say,s.
You da man!
(Iam learning)

OutCole'd
08-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Hey there buddy, this aint no Magic problem.... :D

bohica
08-30-2004, 02:36 PM
Mr Naudio,
Thanks for your guarantee, Car Toyz is a stand up shop. They met me in the channel the day it happened and diagnosed it on the spot.
System sounded great, just loud enough to piss off the wife and kids. :D
One other thing, what's it gonna take to get sound from the all in one dvd player just in the cabin. Kids didn't like having to wear the headphones. Dam kids are so hard to please.

ROZ
08-30-2004, 02:55 PM
Spoken like a true non installer :smile:
Really, do tell.. :hammer2:
Cmon Roz its a boat chance of water damage (no matter where you install the stuff. :confused: A chance, yes. Are there locations to mount gear that's less likely to get water damage, yes.
Like everything in this business there is always a trade off.
Like hidden so as not to get stolen, or easy to get to,or somplace cool.
Or no box to save room,or box for more punch,car stuff for better sound marine stuff for white grills.
Absolutely... You're preaching to the choir. As a matter of fact, there will be dash damage when I remove the stereo from my pickup's dash... That's the trade off I made when I installed it without worrying about someone trying to steal it.... Or the pungent smell of fiberglass, bondo, paint, and glue(from my box and amprack) my wife endured while driving around in her 4runner just so I could have tunes in a car I never drive. Then end justifies the mean ;)
Bottom line CarToyz stands behind EVERYTHING we do.
That's good to hear. So do we. Just ask the guy who's $30,000 custom German stawberry blonde birch(or whatever it was) hardwood floor we replaced because of the wheel marks made from our guys moving an 80" tv accross the floor a little too swiftly...
Never said you didn't take care of your customers. I'm glad to see that you do...
Who would have forseen that a ziptiesd hose would come loose... A rigger, not an audio technition...

ROZ
08-30-2004, 02:56 PM
Hey there buddy, this aint no Magic problem.... :D
Must have been really good magic. Hell, it was a conquest :D

PHX ATC
08-30-2004, 09:08 PM
Just ask the guy who's $30,000 custom German stawberry blonde birch(or whatever it was) hardwood floor we replaced because of the wheel marks made from our guys moving an 80" tv accross the floor a little too swiftly...
Hey, the UPS guy slammed down my 2 boxes on my German strawberry blonde birch (how coincidental :D ) hardwood flooring that I had just installed the day before on my front porch/entryway thingy.
I'll take $29,000 for it though and be happy! :rollside:

ROZ
08-30-2004, 11:36 PM
Hey, the UPS guy slammed down my 2 boxes on my German strawberry blonde birch (how coincidental :D ) hardwood flooring that I had just installed the day before on my front porch/entryway thingy.
I'll take $29,000 for it though and be happy! :rollside:
www.UPS.com There's a link to file a claim there somewhere :p :D
Crazy that a 20x20 room and entry could cost that much... I guess the wood was hand picked from some church in Germany. The wood was refinished and the grain pattern flowed accross the floor... Good thing UPS didn't mess up the second shipment :D