PDA

View Full Version : Officer Loses Leg In Boating Accident

manuel
08-31-2004, 09:47 AM
Officer Loses Leg In Boating Accident
Propeller Severs Man's Leg
POSTED: 7:01 am EDT August 31, 2004
PARKERSBURG, W.Va. -- A police officer from Marietta has lost a leg in a boating accident in West Virginia.
Monday afternoon, Patrolman Rhett Walters fell into the Little Kanawha River in Wood County when the pleasure boat he was on hit a wake.
A Division of Natural Resources officer says Walters hit his head on the boat before it passed over him and the propeller severed the leg.
Walters is hospitalized at Camden-Clark Memorial Hospital in Parkersburg. He is to be fitted for a prosthetic tomorrow.
Captain Jeff Waite of the Marietta Police Department says he expects Walters to return to work. Walters has been with the department for three years.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press.

Screemy1
08-31-2004, 09:54 AM
WOW :eek: lose a leg, get fitted for a prosthetic and be back at work.... this news story sounds a little Fairy Taleish.... You don't just have a leg cut off, then go and plug in a fake... they wish it would be that easy.....

manuel
08-31-2004, 10:10 AM
Yes that part just can't be right, what about the wound healing first, and the rehab, but it's still terrible, here's the source,
http://www.newsnet5.com/news/3693814/detail.html

OGShocker
08-31-2004, 10:26 AM
I wonder if booze was a factor? :eek:

Big_Gunz_
08-31-2004, 10:32 AM
That’s sad news to hear. I don’t think he’ll be back to work at a “full duty” status any time soon. I’m sure he’ll be sitting at a desk, doing administrative work, for a long time until he’s cleared to “full duty” status. So he may be back to work, he’s just won’t be doing any Police work in the field.

drbones
08-31-2004, 12:23 PM
Well dang...I'm in the Marietta/Parkersburg area...if it is true...I should see it on the news...will watch for it

drbones
08-31-2004, 12:24 PM
Well here is the local story..with video
http://www.wtap.com/home/headlines/981456.html
and here is the Marietta times news paper
http://mariettatimes.com/news/story/0831202004_new02mttaolice.asp

Kilrtoy
08-31-2004, 03:07 PM
That is a horrible story.....
sad to happen to anyone...

Some Kind Of Monster
08-31-2004, 03:12 PM
He is lucky he only lost his leg. Cops should know better... Shoulda had a jet (over 100db of course).

Red Eye
08-31-2004, 03:27 PM
The boat passed over him? How do you fall off the bow and then get ran over unless your being stupid?

Boatcop
08-31-2004, 05:02 PM
The boat passed over him? How do you fall off the bow and then get ran over unless your being stupid?
There is a boating phenomenon called the "Circle of death". Especially in smaller boats. The torque of the engine and propeller thrust naturally forces the drive and/or rudder to starboard. Particularly with outboards. When someone loses hold of the wheel or steering arm, the steering goes hard right and the boat circles around. Anyone who may have fallen from the boat WILL be struck by it, as it goes around in circles numerous times.
Of course, things like "no feedback" steering, hydraulic steering, etc. may prevent the engine / drive / rudder, from doing this, but a lanyard kill switch would have made this story an amusing anecdote, rather than the tragedy of loss of limb (or life).

voodoomedman
08-31-2004, 05:13 PM
I wear my lanyard. Especially at full throttle.