PDA

View Full Version : Job Interview

UtlGoa
04-10-2006, 12:10 PM
Long story short, I retired from Law Enforcement in California after ten years due to a knee injury. I recently moved to Kentucky and have applied for a State Park Ranger position at one of the State Parks.
I received a call yesterday for my interview. I have no idea what type of interview this is going to be. I know how to handle Law Enforcement interviews, but have no clue on this one.
When they ask "Why should we hire you over someone else" how do you answer this question? Could someone that has gone through alot, or been apart of interviewing people for jobs help me out here.
My interview is tomorrow, 04-11-06.
Thanks for any help!!!!!!

Tom Brown
04-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Tell them you're smarter than the average bear.

Her454
04-10-2006, 12:17 PM
ROTFLMAO...................thats some funny stuff..............can you imagine the look on their face if he said it in a Yogi voice SLMAO!

UtlGoa
04-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Pretty sure my interview would be over at that time....lol

Jbb
04-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Brown told his job that he could suck a tennis ball through a 3 foot garden hose.........Been on the fast track ever since....

Her454
04-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Pretty sure my interview would be over at that time....lol
Well then you shouldn't want a job that has no sense of humor after being retired Law Enforcement LOL.

YeLLowBoaT
04-10-2006, 12:22 PM
I would tell them about your exp in LEO, then tell them how you love to fish, hunt, and how you wish to stop the irresponsable ppl that are destorying the state parks ( were you will work). then some bs about how "you want the parks to be just as wild as when you were a kid"
All in the yogi bear voice of corse....
I would think that they woul want some 1 with a LEO back ground, since if you have to confront some 1 doing some thing bad. There is a very good chance they will be armed.

UtlGoa
04-10-2006, 12:43 PM
I know the Leo experience is a plus, but should I play up the visitor "let me kiss your ass" situation also. Don't get me wrong, I like to deal with the public, but some people are just idiots.

MagicMtnDan
04-10-2006, 12:48 PM
If you haven't already tried this you should (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2006-13,GGLG:en&q=interviewing)

Tom Brown
04-10-2006, 12:49 PM
I don't know anything about law enforcement or park rangering. I'm sure you're well qualified to do the job and would be an asset to their cause.
The thing I look for in an interviewee is a level head. It's important he be reasonable because I'm going to have to work with him every day. If someone explains to me why they're 20 times better than anyone else on the planet, that's a sign that I will want to kick them in the balls after 2 weeks of their ego grooming.
You seem like a good guy. Why not let them decide if you're the right guy for the job based on your interview presentation. If you're qualified and competent... the rest is up to them.
Good luck with the interview. I'm sure you will do very well.

hoolign
04-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Brown told his job that he could suck a tennis ball through a 3 foot garden hose.........Been on the fast track ever since....
is 3' the I.D or the length? either would be impressive :idea:

Jbb
04-10-2006, 01:51 PM
I don't know anything about law enforcement or park rangering. I'm sure you're well qualified to do the job and would be an asset to their cause.
The thing I look for in an interviewee is a level head. It's important he be reasonable because I'm going to have to work with him every day. If someone explains to me why they're 20 times better than anyone else on the planet, that's a sign that I will want to kick them in the balls after 2 weeks of their ego grooming.
You seem like a good guy. Why not let them decide if you're the right guy for the job based on your interview presentation. If you're qualified and competent... the rest is up to them.
Good luck with the interview. I'm sure you will do very well.
:p
Would it be upsetting If I brought along my copy of Mein Kampf to the interview.... :p
How would It go if you interviewed me....Brown....

Tom Brown
04-10-2006, 02:03 PM
How would It go if you interviewed me....Brown....
I have a hunch it might take a turn for the worse. :idea:
... and I'd goose step you to the curb.
Heil! :D

Havasu Cig
04-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Long story short, I retired from Law Enforcement in California after ten years due to a knee injury. I recently moved to Kentucky and have applied for a State Park Ranger position at one of the State Parks.
I received a call yesterday for my interview. I have no idea what type of interview this is going to be. I know how to handle Law Enforcement interviews, but have no clue on this one.
When they ask "Why should we hire you over someone else" how do you answer this question? Could someone that has gone through alot, or been apart of interviewing people for jobs help me out here.
Tell them the same B.S. you did when you got hired in L.E. How you want to just help the community and make a difference crap. At least that is how the L.E. interviews went that I had. I would not think it would be much different except to change some of the wording so it fits into the job description of what you are trying to get hired for.

cxr133
04-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Just say that you like to SHOOT FIRST and work out all the details later

a catered life
04-11-2006, 04:55 AM
lmao :p

lucky
04-11-2006, 05:53 AM
yugi bear = Hey bo bo lets get us a picinic basket !!!
bobo bear = but yugi I don't think the ranger wooouullllld like that !
Yugi bear == Well fock the ranger bobo, tell him to get his own picinic basket !!
:rolleyes:
Just Tell him Your well equipped to deal with A- holes , dramma, and drunkin' people -- then refer them here -- You'll be in like flinn ..

UtlGoa
04-12-2006, 04:42 AM
Well I did my interview yesterday. I feel pretty good about it. The job is just what I'm looking for. No chasing bad guys / gals, No political BS, and best of all NO STRESS.
So now I have to wait and see if they are going to do my back ground investigation. This will probably take all of a day or two to complete.
Thanks to everyone for the information you guys / gals provided me. I really appreciate it. And just so you guys know, I did think about the yogi bear replies to there questions, but I just could not bring myself to do it.

ROZ
04-12-2006, 07:30 AM
And just so you guys know, I did think about the Yogi bear replies to there questions, but I just could not bring myself to do it.
Not such a bad thing letting them know that you're completely nuts until after you land the job :) Goodluck! :D

Tom Brown
04-12-2006, 07:36 AM
Good luck, GOA. :cool: