PDA

View Full Version : Please, help my 1983 OMC o/d

fatmikegalaxy
08-31-2004, 09:04 PM
I know my set up may not be hot, but its entry level and suits me for the time being. After three trips to the river, my boat was dead in the water and I could not get the damn outdrive to engage. My mechanic said the OMC 800 was a three year model and finding parts to replace my chewed up gears will be like "pulling hens teeth".
Does anyone have any suggestions, other than sinking the old girl. Could I find a different drive to pair to my 3.8l buick? Do replacement gears exist? Please help,
Fat Mike G

baja 82
08-31-2004, 11:41 PM
http://sterndrive.info.hosting.domaindirect.com/id7.html
This is the only place i could find that has omc parts, i hope you like to spend money.I had the same thing happen to the omc outdrive on my 1982 baja 3.8 liter, luckily my freind had the boat at the time so he replaced it with a new unit.He did sell the lower unit on ebay for $750. You might try ebay yourself, you really only need the upper case.( i think)

baja 82
08-31-2004, 11:45 PM
By the way what kind of boat do you have?

mirvin
09-01-2004, 12:14 PM
Try marinepartsexpress.com
THey will have info for you. You're probly looking at a switch to a Volvo Penta. I belive VP ate up OMC and they will have applicable info and upgrades.
mirvin :wink:

DansBlown73Nordic
09-01-2004, 01:07 PM
Id go with Plan B.....Sink it...Those OMC's are JUNK!!!!! :lightsabe

fatmikegalaxy
09-01-2004, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the tips and guidance. I will most likely by the gear set and have it installed. If all else fails, the boat will bea restin in davy jones' locker. ARRRRRG! The OMC garbage came attached to a 17 foot galaxy ski boat. First day out, the reverse was non-existent and the seller said,"its a very faint reverse".
My hindsight tells me bull shit!
Fat Mike

bajarunner
09-04-2004, 10:44 PM
Try these places........
www.amarket.com :coffeycup :cool:
www.sterndrive.info
www.dougrussell.com
OMC parts are easy to get if you know where to look, aftermarket marine has great prices and quality parts. I've not had any problems with the shafts I purchased from them. Also sterndrive (TC marine) great also and a wealth of nowledge about these drives. Good luck with this

Tom Brown
09-05-2004, 05:18 PM
I have a buddy with a 1982 - 3.8l OMC stern drive and he can't get into reverse either. It seems like a sticking cable but we won't know until we tear it down.
Good luck.

19cobaltcd
09-14-2004, 09:04 AM
Contact JD at Kansas Marine Parts. He has tons of old OMC stuff. His number is 316-540-9986. Good guy, good prices.

sdpm
10-02-2004, 03:00 PM
I know my set up may not be hot, but its entry level and suits me for the time being. After three trips to the river, my boat was dead in the water and I could not get the damn outdrive to engage. My mechanic said the OMC 800 was a three year model and finding parts to replace my chewed up gears will be like "pulling hens teeth".
Does anyone have any suggestions, other than sinking the old girl. Could I find a different drive to pair to my 3.8l buick? Do replacement gears exist? Please help,
Fat Mike G
Hi Fat Mike, most likely you lost the splines on the waterpump shaft. Very common problem. You can replace all those with aftermarket parts that are readley availible. Your biggest problem will be finding a mechanic that is familar with these drives. Not to many around anymore. Let me know if I can help. Neil

switchin'addiction
10-17-2004, 07:31 AM
If you haven't figured out your solution yet shoot me a pm if your interested. I've got a lot of good contact info for omc/volvo drives for parts, service, tech forums, etc.