PDA

View Full Version : The only 2 medals anyone cared about

Flying Tiger
09-01-2004, 09:31 AM
I did 4 long years in the Marines.
13 months combat duty in Vietnam.
Medals and ribbons meant very little to anyone when I was in the Marines.
NO BFD.
Marines usually only wear them when it was posted to do so for an event.
Medals in the Marines were and still are hard to get.
The Marine Corp is very stingy about giving them out.
But having said all that nonsense I'll add the 2 medals anyone ever cared about:
1. The rare medal of honor a privledge to recieve. ( I never met anyone who recieved one or ever saw one)
2. The purple heart no one wanted. (seemed like everyone got a few)

MagicMtnDan
09-01-2004, 04:37 PM
Does anyone else see Kerry's actions in Vietnam as a ploy to get out early? (It's been obvious to me but it isn't said much at all in the media - no surprise there).
I wonder how long after Kerry found out he could ask to opt out of service if he had three Purple Hearts before he "got" the first one?
They're the three weakest examples of Purple Hearts that I'll bet the vast majority of soldiers have ever heard of. Hell he asked for them after every scratch! And then he opted out (after his third) and then he testified in front of Congress that his fellow soldiers were committing atrocities and war crimes including burning villages and raping women. Amazing that he could speak for his fellow soldiers (against them all) after serving four very quick months on the river.
Kerry clearly has a problem with ethics and morals. He shouldn't be president of the PTA let alone the USA. :yuk:

OGShocker
09-01-2004, 07:26 PM
I did 4 long years in the Marines.
13 months combat duty in Vietnam.
Medals and ribbons meant very little to anyone when I was in the Marines.
FT, Thank you for your service!

napabob
09-02-2004, 10:02 AM
I can’t remember ever thinking about service medals while doing an overseas tour from ’69 to ’70.
All I remember starting in 1968 is that the draft was on and I decided to join the corps to serve my country and fight the spread of communism.
I made it back to the real world alive.
USMC, Veteran of the Vietnam conflict.
I think both presidential candidates used their knowledge to manipulate the military to achieve the best outcome for their service requirements during wartime.
Others opted to flee the country, become conscientious objectors, hide in colleges, and join services that protect the mainland, or go to prison to avoid the draft.
Military veterans throughout our history have given their all to help every American live the way they live today.

Essex502
09-02-2004, 10:06 AM
Thanks for your service Bob!
I do agree that both contenders used the system to avoid the service the best they could as you said many other did. I can't think that most that fought wouldn't leave when they had the chance once they were in country. How many - as a percentage - reenlisted when their tour was up?

napabob
09-02-2004, 02:12 PM
How many - as a percentage - reenlisted when their tour was up?
I believe that the majority of 4 year contract enlistees did not reenlist.
I did notice at the time that I joined that there was plenty of longer term contracts being signed (up to 20 years).
I did take advantage of the troop reductions ordered by President Nixon. In the latter part of ‘70, I volunteered to be part of a contingency transferring to the arm pit of the world (Guam) in C-130’s.
I was there before courtesy of the Military Airlift Command via Hawaii out of El Toro.
It was conveyed to us that we could be sent back if needed at a moments notice in another plane or by boat (they have the Military Sealift Command there).
After returning to the real world, I knew that I was sane when I turned down E5 and a sing up bonus to remain as an instructor in the schools battalion section.
I almost faltered leaving the corps when a stateside recruit saluted me thinking my weather beaten lance corporal chevron designated me as an officer (most of the black paint had worn off from use and the brass was showing) that incident made me feel good (for a second), but it also finalized my decision not to stay and take that kind of responsibility.