PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Valley Res and the California Budget

flat broke
09-01-2004, 10:48 AM
A couple weeks back, I was talking with a business member in Murrieta, and we got on the topic of Diamond Valley Resevoir. We were both boaters and pissed as all hell that we can't run our boats there, go skiing/wakeboarding etc. But through our conversation several key points were discussed that would seem to make for a strong argument about opening the lake up to body contact and more boats.
Incrased tax revenues - If that lake were a recreational orriented lake as it was orriginally pitched to residents, the influx of tourism $$ would greatly benefit the local and county economies with a a nice trickle up to the state level in increased sales tax revenues in the area that may currently be lost to boaters going to AZ instead.
Then you have what I think would have to be a fairly rapid increase in property value which would translate into higher property tax revenues for new construction and non family transfers of property.
Even the increase in fuel purchased in CA as opposed to AZ would bring more tax $$ into the state coffers.
Local economic increase - As stated earlier with a body of water as large as DVR, the capcity for tourism is huge. Many of us would opt for the shorter drive if the local social climate was hospitable. Even if it only diverted an eighth of the Havasu traffic to Murrieta, I can't see how this wouldn't bring tons of fiscal revenue back into California. Money that is currently made in the state, but spent on weekends in AZ for everything from gas, to storage, to food and entertainment.
The increase in tourism would also allow the opportunity of additional entry level jobs in the surrounding areas and job production is never a bad thing.
Concession and facility generated revenues - California seems to have a perpetual problem with not running proffitable concessions/facilities in regards to our local lakes. I don't know how this happens other than the fact that I don't believe that Sacramento knows how to turn a buck and run a balance sheet. That asside, we have a Govenor that knows how to turn a buck and should be able to give some guideance in this area. I know that if you charged $10-$15 to launch and left the existing services at the lake that are currently there, you'd be money ahead of where you are now. Add a well managed concession package and I can't see how this doesn't make sense to someone at the state level.
I know there are separate issues with the water district and woes about polution etc, but lets be real, the shit gets filtered and treated anyhow, so let us run the boats, have the state make some $$, and everyone wins.
Obviously this is just a topical post and throws out generalizations and ideas more so than facts, but am I wrong for thinking that 1. The resevoir should be used in the manner it was described to residents and 2. It can be turned into a revenue generating asset for the state which should help get some assistance from Sacramento to get things changed.
If Rexone or any of the other board members have more up to date information on this topic, I'd love to see it, and also love to hear what public entity one would start speaking with regarding this issue to begin to effect a change.
Chris

throwerb
09-01-2004, 11:57 AM
Word :D :D :D :D :D :D

Havasu_Dreamin
09-01-2004, 12:20 PM
An impact analysis or usage study would need to be done. The key components being, would the increase in revenue generated by allowing boating and body contact on the lake outweigh the costs associated with 1) the increase costs in providing for a greater presence of LE on the lake and 2) the increase in costs associated with cleaning the water up to remove pollutants that are deposited into the water by said boats and body contact?
I've never been there but I do remember it being billed as the next big lake for recreational boating, all recerational boating, and it would certainly provide some relief for those that do not want to drive the 3+ hours to Havasu.

Rexone
09-01-2004, 09:03 PM
I think alot of promises were made early on to get it built that were later reniged on. But the MWD owns the deal and they're in the water biz. I don't think they give 2 shits about recreational revenue or use. They are not boaters. They sell water.
There was a large resort type development planned out for the lake before it opened. Big hotel, golf, shops, retail, campgrounds, on and on. The deal got the axe in favor of the present restricted / limited fishing use program.
I have limited knowledge of the deal but that's what I see from the outside looking in.