PDA

View Full Version : New Cp ........

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
09-01-2004, 06:39 PM
OK guys & girls, I just ordered my new CP 18ft gullwing from Bill Scotten! He's going to call me tomorrow and tell me when it will be ready. I ordered an all white [Artic white] hull with the inside of the boat finished for NO carpet! Should be a lightweight hull under 400 lbs! Can't wait. Tomorrow is my birthday. I can't think of a better present! and you know what? My wife is as excited as I am! Imagine that. A wife who loves boating as much as me. I think I died an went to heaven. I will keep you posted as to progress of my new boat. Budlight

b's sanger
09-01-2004, 06:47 PM
Congrats, nothing like a blank canvas to work with. :wink:

78Southwind
09-01-2004, 06:49 PM
So when do you think you will be back in business? FBCII? BTW does Bill have a web site?

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
09-01-2004, 07:20 PM
Bill have a website!!! thats like having a jetboat with a 312ci ford in it!!! he's too old fashioned for that. If it wasn't for laying up the same hull all these years, he would have fallen off the face of the jetboat world. The boats are still great! I wouldn't have any other boat. My new boat will debut in the spring. I think I'm actually looking forward to the winter months for a change! I can give you Bill's phone # but he doesn't like tire kickers so you must be serious. :frown: Budlight

MudPumper
09-01-2004, 07:22 PM
Just curious, what does one of Bills new CP's go for????

JetBoatRich
09-01-2004, 07:27 PM
Congratulations on the new boat :D

hack job
09-01-2004, 08:38 PM
Just curious, what does one of Bills new CP's go for????
good question.
also congrats on the new ride i cant wait to see some pics. :wink:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-01-2004, 08:41 PM
What does one of them hulls run with a setback pump installed? No interior,gastanks,wiring,cables or motor. just curious for the future;)

LVjetboy
09-02-2004, 01:41 AM
Very nice BudLight. We'll be waiting for you. :D
Now the dark side...400 lbs in a CP sounds light to me and considering where you run it with the power you got, is a 400 lb layup strong enough? Even with an automatic bildge pump? :D
Your wife? You're one lucky man! I'm thinking most wifes would've called it quits long before your experience at C3B.
jer

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
09-02-2004, 04:14 AM
Nothing would make me happier than to talk about how much it cost me for my CP, but Bill made me agree not to disclose the price as it was a special replacement price.[still not that cheap!!!] :confused: :confused: :idea: :idea: :idea: Budlight

Jake W
09-02-2004, 04:54 AM
I have talked to Bill about my 18 and he is for sure set in his ways.It is nice to see a builder want to make it rite on an older hull that did not hold up.
What year was the old CP you had?
Jake

bigriverdog
09-02-2004, 05:30 AM
Welcome to the CP family. Your gonna love it.

MudPumper
09-02-2004, 12:24 PM
Nothing would make me happier than to talk about how much it cost me for my CP, but Bill made me agree not to disclose the price as it was a special replacement price.[still not that cheap!!!] :confused: :confused: :idea: :idea: :idea: Budlight
OK, I don't care what you paid, I was just wondering what they go for. So, lets pretend I'm just some Joe Blow that wants to by a CP from Scotten. What is a ballpark figure that I could expect to pay for one???? ;)

MudPumper
09-02-2004, 12:26 PM
BigRiverdog, that has got to be one of the best looking boats I have ever seen. WOW. What do you call those colors?????
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5483

Bense468
09-02-2004, 12:56 PM
That is bubba's old boat. Hung out with him a few times down in Blythe. If I remember right the gold is painted and the upholstry is really nice too. Boat is capped, gotta be careful with it but it looks bitchen like that.I think peterson rigged it. BigriverDog you ever want to sell that thing hit me up first. Did you buy it with the all aluminum 496?

Hustler
09-02-2004, 05:53 PM
BigRiverdog, that has got to be one of the best looking boats I have ever seen. WOW. What do you call those colors?????
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5483
This is my favorite CP of all time. I wish I had the money when it was for sale. BigRiverDog, are you going to be out at Big River this weekend?

bigriverdog
09-02-2004, 08:01 PM
MudPumper: Thanks for the compliment. The base color is a basic yellow with a butterscotch solid color and a copper fade over that.
Bense: Yea thats the Bubba boat, I give him all the credit for the build up of most of this boat. And yes it still has the 496 Keith Black aluminum Chevy in it. Some of the latest upgrades was a much larger roller cam and an inducer in the pump. It is such a blast to drive and it is soo dialed in I could teach a 3 year old how to drive it.
Hustler: Thanks for the compliments. Yea I looked a long time to find a boat like this. It really is a show piece. And no it never gets close to the water on a big weekend. I will be a Big River with the family tug boat (73 Hallett 21 ft cruiser white with blue trim). It has a blown big block which it needs just to plane it. Are you going to be there? I know Cyclone and Todd are going and I was thinking of dropping by the Catfish on Saturday night. I was hoping to bring out the CP at FC2.

bigriverdog
09-02-2004, 08:05 PM
O Mudpumper, I spoke with Scotten about a year ago about a bare hull. That was before I bought Bubbas. He quoted me $7,500 for a bare plug. By the way did you know that Advantage in Havasu builds the 18's for him? But he owns the molds and rights.

Hustler
09-02-2004, 08:11 PM
bigriverdog, I'll be there this week end, keep an eye out for a white & yellow day cruiser with "Community Property" on it and I'll buy ya beer.

Bense468
09-02-2004, 08:11 PM
BigRiverDog. I remember bubba telling me he bought it that way. As in rigging. Had a 396 or 454 can't remember which. I also think peterson rigged it for a guy that wanted to go a lot more with it but ran out of money and sold to bubba. I could be a little wrong. I know bubba installed the aluminum 496. Great boat though. I actually ran him when he had the other motor. I also drooled all over the side, so you might want to wipe that up. LOL
I will be at BR this weekend with all of those guys. Green and white Ultra 20. See ya at the cove or catfish sat.

djdtpr
09-02-2004, 08:44 PM
That boat was rigged up by Steve Speck and it had an inducer in it when it was sold by Bubba cause i was in it the first time it went out with it.The only part of the motor that is a Kieth Black is the block the heads are dart and the cam that was in it before was already a monster about a .780 lift if you went bigger that is a hugh cam.Did you change the impeller or is it the same?
Bense the motor that was in it was a 396 when Bubba bought it from Steve.Steve is the one that sold Whitey his PC with the blown injected alchohol motor.I hated to see Bubba sell the boat but he was done with it there was nothing left to do to it project finished.Bubba is a really good friend of mine and trust me he will build another as nice or nicer.

djdtpr
09-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Now the dark side...400 lbs in a CP sounds light to me and considering where you run it with the power you got, is a 400 lb layup strong enough? Even with an automatic bildge pump? :D
jer
Jer 400 lbs is a heavier layup ther is a pic posted in this thread of a CP that is well under 400 and it ran around the river in Blythe all the time,i also have a couple buddies that run around in some 275 lb earl smith gullwings and tunnels.You just have to pay attention and drive cautiously.How much does your PC weigh off hand?

MudPumper
09-02-2004, 09:42 PM
O Mudpumper, I spoke with Scotten about a year ago about a bare hull. That was before I bought Bubbas. He quoted me $7,500 for a bare plug. By the way did you know that Advantage in Havasu builds the 18's for him? But he owns the molds and rights.
Thanks for that BRD, that satisfies my curiosity. ;) You have to bring that thing up for FC2. See you this weekend.

bigriverdog
09-02-2004, 10:16 PM
dj, the cam change out and inducer were done by Bubba before I bought it. Those were mods after it ran at Ming. The only mods I have done was removing some padding from the front seat so my lard ass could fit in the boat. Bubba sold the boat to buy a ring and marry his high school sweetheart. We have become good friends. He just bought a 21 foot Advantage open-bow and I am sure its headed for many mods, knowing Bubba.
The boat did belong to Steve Speck and other than the motor, Bubba just re-rigged several areas and made some mods.

Cs19
09-02-2004, 10:41 PM
I think the whole weight of hulls thing is mis-understood by both boat builders and consumers. I think most of you would be shocked to see what a TRUE 400 lb. hull feels like on the river, Thats a super thin boat.I have seen a TRUE 380 pounder fresh off the scale recently and its so friggin thin there is no way it would survive on the river.
Eliminator claims my boat is 400 lbs. carbon graphite/kevlar with 1' stringers.Iill be the pink its no where near that, but its no heavy weight either, its very light for what I do with the boat.Its just a good example of how a very experienced boat builder cannot hit their target number.
Cant wait to see your new boat Budlight. When do they plan on popping that thing out? and are you using the old trailer,etc. what about rigging? are you getting all new stuff? or is Bill going ot handle that?
Congratulations.

Bense468
09-02-2004, 11:37 PM
Danny if I remember right that hull weighed in at 440 because it was capped. You refreshed my mem about steve owning it. I couldn't remember his name. Tom and Steve are buddies correct? Does whitey still own that PC? I heard he ditched the 427 and had norm build him a 500 + ci motor, and was running some impressive numbers. Would be cool to see that boat out there this weekend.
By the way did the blower pully come in from good vib and more importantly was it the right one and installed? Plan on hitting the road at 3 tomorrow. Call when we get close to see if you are anywhere around. Let me know if you need help or need anything on the way out. Rex is right next door and I am off all day. You got my number.

LVjetboy
09-03-2004, 01:09 AM
DJD, unfortunately I have no direct measurement of hull weight but my best guess is 800-850 lbs.
Here's what I got: Trailer +boat = 2940 lbs
Trailer = 900 lbs.
Engine = 750 lbs.
So 1290 lbs for hull + pump + interior and rigging. From there things get a bit murky. When I ask Ron for a heavy lake layup I remember he said, "We only do one schedule." But since then some have posted PC's with different hull layup weights. So don't know for sure.
But I do know I weigh 215+ lbs and can walk on the deck no problem. ;) And I run pretty rough water (Mead, Powell) with no problems.
bigriverdog, I don't know anyone else running a 496 Keith Black aluminum Chevy in a jet...what's your rpm and top speed if you don't mind me asking.
jer

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
09-03-2004, 04:14 AM
Thanks cs19, I'm planning on refurbishing my trailer and using it for the new boat. As far as the boat goes, i will be using the jet pump and intake and some of the hardware repolished and the upholstry is going to be redone to match the boat. :cool: I have a few new trick ideas that I want to include in the boat build-up, but I will need some new stuff, so you guys will be hearing from me looking for parts. Scotten has'nt given me a born on date yet. :confused:But i'll keep you posted. This is very exciting. Everybody have a great Labor Day and keep safe. :) :) :) :) :) Budlight

djdtpr
09-03-2004, 07:13 AM
Bigriverdog i misunderstood you i thought you meant you put an inducer in it and the cam.I could not figure out why you had to do all that when it was just done.
Bense Bubba told me that it added some weight to the boat but i cant remember the exact numbers but i think you are right around there with 440 lbs.Whitey did lose the 427 and had norm grimes build him a 540 its pretty impresive now.Tom is still running the blown alchohol deal in his and it still is a 427 and he has put an ungodly amount of fuel through it.Pulley came yesterday and i got everything back together last night.
Lv i was told by Tom peterson that they did make a couple different weight layups of the PC's.At one time Tom owned Placecraft he has the mold for the newer style (not ours).Mine is defenitaly light i was told it weighs 600lbs and you definatly cannot walk on the bow.It is like sitting in a bowl of jello on rough water.

Performance 19
09-03-2004, 06:06 PM
I have talked to Bill about my 18 and he is for sure set in his ways.It is nice to see a builder want to make it rite on an older hull that did not hold up.
What year was the old CP you had?
Jake
I really have to speak out here and disagree about this hull not holding up.
This hull held up considering the hard running and YEARS. I think Pat would agree on this. Bill wanted to see that hull retired some years ago. Have talked to people in the industry. Fiberglass on a race hull will get brittle over time, heat/cold/extreme stress, being run at top speed over choppy water will all contribute to a shorter hull life.
Bill tries to keep tabs on ALL the boats he sells. He will always try to give you a deal if you are already a CP owner. He will NOT sell you a bare hull due to liability issues. He will sell a CP minus motor for about $20,000. Every boat price is different depending on setup. Bill also builds his SRE (Scotten Racing Engines) for Advantage boats as an upgrade motor.
IF you are interested, PLEASE call Bill direct (562) 697-1272...may be an answer machine, leave a mssage and he can provide you with a direct # to reach him. $20,000 is a cheap price to pay for this awesome boat. Jill

GM Killer
09-03-2004, 09:28 PM
When I bought my Performance from Bill a couple of years ago, I had to got through an interview process, so to speak. He questioned my use, power, and where I was gonna run it. Then he made me think about it before he would sell it to me. It is a light hull, and you do have to be cautious when running it, but I didnt buy it for a "family" ride. It was bought and built for one reason, and Im happy with it. If you want a family ride, then go to a river lay-up 19'.
P.S.
Im working on it this weekend if any wants to volunteer to help.....with the bbq, crack a few open, or actually spin a wrench.

Performance 19
09-04-2004, 08:28 PM
Awesome CP. Very nice set-up, super clean and looks very intimidating just sitting on the trailer. Can't wait to see it run, it will be 'scary' fast!!! Nice job. Jim

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
09-05-2004, 09:56 AM
My hull was a 1978!!!!! It was a lightweight race hull designed for a couple of years drag racing on controled water conditions. My boat has seen many years of use on Lake Mead, Lake Mohave, And the Colorado River in water conditions alot of jetboaters would have stayed on the trailer. I am really glad Scotten stood behind his hull. He says when you own a CP, you are one of the family. and he watches over his boats. Thanks Jake W. for the comment, he's a standup manufacturer. Budlight

GM Killer
09-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Awesome CP. Very nice set-up, super clean and looks very intimidating just sitting on the trailer. Can't wait to see it run, it will be 'scary' fast!!! Nice job. Jim
Thanks Jim
I cant wait to see your ride. Im gonna make it a point to come by soon. That turbo set-up sounds awesome. It seems as if there are enough CPs on this forum that we could have our own "regatta". Maybe something like a 'CP vs ALL others'. Perhaps at the Freeboard Challenge weekend we can gang up on the 'others'. The only problem is all the cheese we will have to supply for all of the WHINE. :cool: :hammerhea :crossx:

wsuwrhr
09-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Thanks Jim
It seems as if there are enough CPs on this forum that we could have our own "regatta". Maybe something like a 'CP vs ALL others'. Perhaps at the Freeboard Challenge weekend we can gang up on the 'others'. The only problem is all the cheese we will have to supply for all of the WHINE.
Alright alright, don't bring the bullshit out to Big River. ;)
Brian

steelcomp
09-05-2004, 01:22 PM
Welcome to the CP family. Your gonna love it.
BRD... Is that the boat that was sitting for sale at the entrance to Ming last year? I looked it over real well...VERY nice.
What does it run speed wise?
I especially liked the Alt mount...have one on my Bahner that's similar. Hadn't seen another like it before that.
Kudos!!
steel

steelcomp
09-05-2004, 01:54 PM
CS...I've seen two hulls on scales that were under 300 lbs, one an older TT, the othr I think was a CP. I doubt if BudLight's hull was over 300, after looking at it closely. They're out there...paper thin, drag race only. It's a testament to CP that Bud's lasted as long as it did, considering what he put it through. That's pretty impressive. My Bahner dosen't weigh over 500, and I can walk on it anywhere. It shakes a little in rough stuff, but it's plenty solid.
Did you weigh your hull, or are you just assuming from all your years of experience? Why would you think the mfgr. wouldn't be right about the weight?
Appreciate your input.
I think the whole weight of hulls thing is mis-understood by both boat builders and consumers. I think most of you would be shocked to see what a TRUE 400 lb. hull feels like on the river, Thats a super thin boat.I have seen a TRUE 380 pounder fresh off the scale recently and its so friggin thin there is no way it would survive on the river.
Eliminator claims my boat is 400 lbs. carbon graphite/kevlar with 1' stringers.Iill be the pink its no where near that, but its no heavy weight either, its very light for what I do with the boat.Its just a good example of how a very experienced boat builder cannot hit their target number.
Cant wait to see your new boat Budlight. When do they plan on popping that thing out? and are you using the old trailer,etc. what about rigging? are you getting all new stuff? or is Bill going ot handle that?
Congratulations.

GM Killer
09-05-2004, 07:22 PM
Alright alright, don't bring the bullshit out to Big River. ;)
Brian
Its not Needles I know, but it is just a jump from Parker, so it is convenient for me. :) :argue: :)

Jake W
09-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Preformance 19 you were way off on what I ment.I was trying to give him a complament.
Mr Budlight ,My Earl Smith is a 78 also it seams to be in very solid condition but I can tell it is a lighter lay up.I would like to weigh it to see what it really does weigh.
Weird things about mine are it has a false floor something usualy not seen on a race lay up.It does have one inch stringers and no wood in the transom but does have wood every where else like dash,gunnel suports,deck,ect.Allso the wood in the deck has a ton of holes drilled in it.
Jake

roostwear
09-06-2004, 03:12 PM
I think the "CP against the others" thing is hopeful at best. The "others" may be handing jets of ALL makes their ass. FC2 isn't a team competition....individuals get put on the trailer! :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-06-2004, 03:14 PM
OK SINCE EVERYONE BLEW ME OFF THE FIRST TIME I ASKED, I WILL ASK AGAIN!!!!!
How much would one of these hulls cost with only a setback jet installed?Nothing else at all.I am interested in one;)

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
09-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Bill Scotten will not sell you a hull with a setback jet ONLY!! You may buy a complete jetboat minus motor for about $20,000 or a used one he has now for $10,000. There are only a handful of people he will sell a bare hull to.

GM Killer
09-06-2004, 07:01 PM
I think the "CP against the others" thing is hopeful at best. The "others" may be handing jets of ALL makes their ass. FC2 isn't a team competition....individuals get put on the trailer! :D
Never said we (CP owners) would take all, but it would be fun trying. Im sure there will be "big" guns there of all makes, including us with Fords. One of the "others" might hand me my ass, as you say, but Im sure I will take out my share before they do. I take it you dont have a CP? Dont worry others count too. J/K :D :cool: :wink:
Im sure it will be a good time for everyone, and we are looking forward to it.

LVjetboy
09-06-2004, 07:08 PM
"Lv i was told by Tom peterson that they did make a couple different weight layups of the PC's. At one time Tom owned Placecraft he has the mold for the newer style (not ours).Mine is defenitaly light i was told it weighs 600lbs and you definatly cannot walk on the bow.It is like sitting in a bowl of jello on rough water."
I think Bense also said there were different PC layups after talking to someone in the biz. All I can say is what I remember Ron telling me at the time, "one layup" That and it seems very solid...my heavy a** walks the deck on a regular basis to get the anchor, Karen suns herself there, and I walk it after the trip home to unplug the garage door opener. :D
jer

Cs19
09-06-2004, 07:13 PM
Scotten must be selling the sh*t out of the performance 18s and 19s. I must have seen 15 different ones this weekend at Big River.

wrightnow
09-06-2004, 07:30 PM
CS...I've seen two hulls on scales that were under 300 lbs, one an older TT, the othr I think was a CP. I doubt if BudLight's hull was over 300, after looking at it closely. They're out there...paper thin, drag race only. It's a testament to CP that Bud's lasted as long as it did, considering what he put it through. That's pretty impressive. My Bahner dosen't weigh over 500, and I can walk on it anywhere. It shakes a little in rough stuff, but it's plenty solid.
Did you weigh your hull, or are you just assuming from all your years of experience? Why would you think the mfgr. wouldn't be right about the weight?
Appreciate your input.
I was also told that my 18cp was a light lay-up under 350lbs and it feels light, (by scotten) but it was weighed this last winter and it came in at around 450lbs. I have seen some light 300lbs cp tunnels and they are long ways from mine.
Not to bag on Budlight's boat but I was one of the guys that helped him get his boat off the rock pile at CBBB and that was no where near under 300lbs.
Mark

roostwear
09-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Never said we (CP owners) would take all, but it would be fun trying. Im sure there will be "big" guns there of all makes, including us with Fords. One of the "others" might hand me my ass, as you say, but Im sure I will take out my share before they do. I take it you dont have a CP? Dont worry others count too. J/K :D :cool: :wink:
Im sure it will be a good time for everyone, and we are looking forward to it.
I have said many times (and unfortunately, it's true) I am probably the slowest boat there. You can hand me my ass first :D Believe it or not, FC isn't about racing. It'll probably be one of the best shows of marine iron around. The beach on Saturday will be a candystore for boat junkies. The REAL party is meeting all the lunatics that own them!
My boat excels at two things..... seating space and cooler transportation. This will become MUCH more important when we go upriver to the cove. :wink:

steelcomp
09-06-2004, 08:47 PM
I was also told that my 18cp was a light lay-up under 350lbs and it feels light, (by scotten) but it was weighed this last winter and it came in at around 450lbs. I have seen some light 300lbs cp tunnels and they are long ways from mine.
Not to bag on Budlight's boat but I was one of the guys that helped him get his boat off the rock pile at CBBB and that was no where near under 300lbs.
Mark
Hey...no bag...
...so was I. I was the guy who pulled up in the yellow boat with the scoop...my buddy held on to it out in the river while we helped. If you consider we were lifting a blown BB Chev with a jet pump attached, fuel tanks w/fuel and the weight of the boat with a lot of water in it...could have been trying to dead lift over 1000 lbs. That's >100 lbs per guy if there were ten guys...I think there were eight that could really get their hands on it. Pretty heavy standing on a rocky river bottom. BTW...that rock bar saved BL. My buddy is standing in 10" of water over a hundred feet off shore.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-06-2004, 09:16 PM
Bill Scotten will not sell you a hull with a setback jet ONLY!! You may buy a complete jetboat minus motor for about $20,000 or a used one he has now for $10,000. There are only a handful of people he will sell a bare hull to.
Thank you for answering my question;) Now you have me thinking about buying one. So when it comes complete does that mean, motor mounts,guages,wiring,steering? What about colors?What about the pump,is there a diverter or droop included? What are the layup choices? I notice that everyone is talking about 300lbs :eek: I dont nee a boat to run at the coorslight worldfinals. i just need a fast lakeboat. Plus I love the way cp's look;) I am just looking for more info on these hulls.

flat broke
09-06-2004, 10:17 PM
Thank you for answering my question;) Now you have me thinking about buying one. So when it comes complete does that mean, motor mounts,guages,wiring,steering? What about colors?What about the pump,is there a diverter or droop included? What are the layup choices? I notice that everyone is talking about 300lbs :eek: I dont nee a boat to run at the coorslight worldfinals. i just need a fast lakeboat. Plus I love the way cp's look;) I am just looking for more info on these hulls.
If it were me, and I was looking for info, I'd go to the horses mouth. The number has been posted, so that would probably be the best place to start. You can kick the tires all you want, but if you're serious, a phone call would go a lot farther than posting on a message board.
Chris

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-07-2004, 02:20 AM
I dont like calling people untill I am completely ready! I am just gathering info right now. I wanted a eliminator or a liberator but with all the good luck and info on cp's I have redirected my interest tward the cp's! Its just info, if anybody doesnt want to help, its all good. If so then cool;)

wrightnow
09-07-2004, 07:58 AM
Hey...no bag...
...so was I. I was the guy who pulled up in the yellow boat with the scoop...my buddy held on to it out in the river while we helped. If you consider we were lifting a blown BB Chev with a jet pump attached, fuel tanks w/fuel and the weight of the boat with a lot of water in it...could have been trying to dead lift over 1000 lbs. That's >100 lbs per guy if there were ten guys...I think there were eight that could really get their hands on it. Pretty heavy standing on a rocky river bottom. BTW...that rock bar saved BL. My buddy is standing in 10" of water over a hundred feet off shore.
I was gone by the time you got there, I was one of the first to get there and help drag it across the rock to get it by the ramp, but I have felt a light boat and not by lifting it, but from how much flex there is in the top. On a 300lbs cp tunnel you could lean on the side and it would flex4-5 inches, bud's and mine not close.
Bottom line glad Scottens taken care of budlight and no one was hurt....
Mark

GM Killer
09-07-2004, 04:01 PM
On a 300lbs cp tunnel you could lean on the side and it would flex4-5 inches, bud's and mine not close.
Mark
So true!!! Mine will move that much with someone who weighs 160 pounds leaning on it.

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
09-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Standard layup is 7 colors. No diverter or droop. Min.weight for layup is 440 lbs.Heavier if you like. All n all, Your best bet is to call Scotten. He will be able to tell you all the options there are and there cost. He fits the boat per the indiviual. CP is the choice of Winners!!!!! :D :D Budlight

steelcomp
09-07-2004, 08:47 PM
Is Scotten still making the boats in CA or did he move the whole operation to AZ?
BTW...I didn't know Scotten made a tunnel. :supp:

Performance 19
09-07-2004, 08:53 PM
He splits his time btwn Las vegas and California. He still has his original location in La Habra

LVjetboy
09-08-2004, 01:08 AM
Not sure his business or other interest here (LV) but I picked up my transom adaptor from him at a flower shop.
jer

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
09-08-2004, 05:08 AM
I was told that my hull weight was 340 lbs. when I bought it used.Since then I have heard all kinds of stories about hull weight. :eek: Some about CP's & some about other manufactures. CP changed there mold in approx.1991. Boats built out of the older mold could range wildly do to how they were laid up. I have heard of Scotten laying up a hull with no floor & little support for Racing ONLY. :2purples: Mine only had a piece of 1/4 '' plywood standing on edge for deck support !!!!! There was no bulkhead. My fueltanks pulled free from there mounting several times. :confused: :idea: I finally mounted my tanks in polyurathane adheisive! Solved the Problem :D If you now buy an 18' Gullwing,Standard Layup is 440lbs. Bill is Verrry restrictive about who he will sell a new race layup hull to. :devil: Further if your not going to have carpet (as i did in my old hull) it is finished differently. I requested a Hull under 400 lbs. :cool: My hull under water with 25 gal. of fuel, blown BBC, water soaked carpet,(not to mention boat full of water!!!!), optima Batt., beer umbrella,ice chests & lifevests probably weighed a Hull bunch. :frown: My boat hull probably weigh 380 lbs bare less since it went on a bottomless diet !!!!(hull lipo) :shift: but,I guarantee I will know the exact weight of my new hull!!!! :cool: Budlight

wsuwrhr
09-08-2004, 06:04 AM
So true!!! Mine will move that much with someone who weighs 160 pounds leaning on it.
The first time I saw GM's CP I was surprised how flimsy it is.
"Laid up like a potato chip"
Brian

LVjetboy
09-10-2004, 09:31 PM
Budlight, we met and you know I think you and your wife are cool, not trying to dog you. Karen and I enjoyed your company at Willow. But you say your old hull was 340 lbs, and you requested a new one at less than 400 lbs? If your last hull was light enough to stress fracture on the river, blow out the transom and sink, why would you want to buy another light-weight hull for how you run? I've seen you run the river, very impressive but it's not the track. Just wondering.
jer

Squirtin Thunder
09-10-2004, 09:43 PM
LV,
That was a '78 boat !!!
Jim

djdtpr
09-10-2004, 10:16 PM
Badly delaminated!I looked at that boat while it was on the trailer.There are plenty of hulls running around that are lighter than that.I run the river with a few buddys that are lighter than that.

LVjetboy
09-10-2004, 10:18 PM
Copy '78, fatigue stress and failure depends on cycles and use. I guess at BudLights or my age what the heck?
:D
jer

djdtpr
09-10-2004, 10:24 PM
Im just saying that at the age that hull was at and the delamination it had it was bound to happend.If the next one last that long well maybe he will only have too buy 1 more,or relaminate before it gets that bad.

LVjetboy
09-10-2004, 10:29 PM
"There are plenty of hulls running around that are lighter than that. I run the river with a few buddys that are lighter than that."
If Bud's was a 26 year old hull with several owners and unknown use then I'd say what? Your buddies lighter than 340 lbs? How much lighter and how do they use them? How old those hulls? Bud ran balls to the wall when I saw him.
My point was, if Bud's running the river with that kinda power, why go for potato chip instead of lake boat layup? Even with an automatic bildge pump... :D
jer

djdtpr
09-10-2004, 10:46 PM
I understand what you are saying if he runs it in the rough well maybe get a hevier layup.My buddy Sean is running a late 70s earl smith gullwing that weighs a whole 275 lbs and one of the guys that comes with him is running a16 ft earl smith tunnel that is around 225 lbs my buddy mat is running a earl smith that is 275 lbs also and cs19 is running around in a 400 lb daytona so it is not really a problem as long as you take care of them.The big thing is none of these boats are ever on rough water and if they are they are anchored.

steelcomp
09-10-2004, 10:48 PM
"There are plenty of hulls running around that are lighter than that. I run the river with a few buddys that are lighter than that."
If Bud's was a 26 year old hull with several owners and unknown use then I'd say what? Your buddies lighter than 340 lbs? How much lighter and how do they use them? How old those hulls? Bud ran balls to the wall when I saw him.
My point was, if Bud's running the river with that kinda power, why go for potato chip instead of lake boat layup? Even with an automatic bildge pump... :D
jer
"Badly delaminated!I looked at that boat while it was on the trailer.There are plenty of hulls running around that are lighter than that.I run the river with a few buddys that are lighter than that."
Bud's boat didn't delam...it split down the strake...LV I know you know what a stress riser is...sort of the same thing. Where something flat is bent, that's where movement will occur, bending movement, (flexing), breaking fibers, eventually failing. Water came in throught the crack, which made it's way to the transom, (the crack) and when the water hit the transom, boom! I thnk that the fact the boat lasted as long as it did, is a testament to it's construction in the first place. Also, the old resins after 25 yrs got brittle and dried out. I saw nothing but foot-to-the-floor river pounding passes by Bud both Sat and Sun. If the boat lasted 25 yrs, why not another one?
JMO
How's the PC, Jer? Are you goin to FC2?

djdtpr
09-10-2004, 10:51 PM
[i]"There are plenty of hulls running around that are lighter.
jer
The only thing power realy has to do with it is regular wear and tear,there are drag boats running way more power with much lighter hulls,and what was the speed he was running?The boat ran respectable no doubt but was by far no rocket ship.

LVjetboy
09-10-2004, 11:45 PM
"what was the speed he was running? The boat ran respectable no doubt but was by far no rocket ship."
He reported over 100 mph (102 I believe). Don't know if true. But if so, that's rocket ship for a small light weight jet...especially on a river or lake. Although I didn't run him to verify, from what I saw and heard seemed likely. And from his reported rpm and impeller size, also likely.
I've also run 90-100 on lake and river so I know the look and sound of rpms. I think shock loading (rough water) has a lot to do with failure and is related to both power and hull construction. Imagine water drag force on a boat hull versus the air drag force on a car...there's no comparison. As well as shock loading and related stress from smacking waves at near 100 mph...huge. Water's incompressible and at those speeds, well?
A jet with less power won't see that kinda' loading. Or a jet with his power at the track. But with his power on the river? A matter of time in a potato chip hull. Maybe why the colonel trys to be selective?
"How's the PC, Jer? Are you goin to FC2?"
Running great...just back from Powell. Yes, I'll be there.
jer

Squirtin Thunder
09-11-2004, 06:49 AM
Jer,
Come on head out to Ming. There is alot of guys that would love to see you run. Lake speed vs Track speed.
Jim

Performance 19
09-11-2004, 12:40 PM
For those of us who have known this boat and Budlight for some years, we were surprised it hasn't fallen apart sooner. If I am not mistaken, This hull has been worked on (reinforced?) in prior years. There were stress cracks, delam, etc. Scotten thought this latest was caused by stress and the fact that fiberglass does get brittle over years. His words, not mine. The friend Budlight bought this boat from did not drive it anywhere near as hard to my knowledge. Budlight had this boat for a number of years, according to Scotten, many more years and wear and tear than it should have had. These are my opinions and those of some of Budlights 'friends' that were aware of the condition of the boat. Maybe the next one will be used to race as it was intended, not rough water. Who knows, that's his choice to make. My personal opinion. Jill

wrightnow
09-11-2004, 08:06 PM
i was told that a 400lbs hull built today is much strong that a 500-600lbs hull built back in the 80's, not including the carbon fiber stuff. Is there any truth to this?
Mark

LVjetboy
09-11-2004, 10:22 PM
"Maybe the next one will be used to race as it was intended, not rough water. Who knows, that's his choice to make. My personal opinion."
Maybe...but I'm thinking...no. He's probably addicted to running hard and enjoying river life like the rest of us fools. Why? Street racing at it's best. Beach hangout instead of the local Sonic. Water instead of asphalt. Even better, no stop lights. :D
And I've yet to get a ticket on the water for, "Rapid and Unnecessary Acceleration."
jer

DRUNK FRIEND "O" Bense with NO boat
09-12-2004, 12:59 AM
The 100mph circus police have not got you yet? JVC ROCKS....Pull all that shat out and bring it to ming. See what it runs. I got another 500 on DJD at ming.

djdtpr
09-12-2004, 10:09 AM
I got another 500 on DJD at ming.
Dont go spending all that money i may need to barrow some when Chris is done with me.

Cs19
09-12-2004, 10:19 AM
Isnt that the truth..
DJd, get going on that Placecraft, in 2 weeks we will be there.

UBFJ #454
09-12-2004, 01:38 PM
At this point would it be worth someone starting a totally separate Thread, perhaps a "Sticky", to discuss 21 ft. and under hull design/fabrication?

ahsumtoy
10-14-2006, 12:37 PM
bigriverdog, I was the one that sold Bubba the cp. If you want to know more about the history of it PM me and I can fill in the blanks.

DUCKY
10-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Holy shit, a thread resurrected after more than two years! That has to be a new record!