PDA

View Full Version : This one might be the worst ever

MagicMtnDan
09-02-2004, 05:35 AM
MIAMI - As Hurricane Frances began pounding southeastern Bahamas on Thursday, 750,000 Floridians prepared to evacuate their homes by the afternoon and forecasters warned the Category 4 storm could be worse than Hurricane Charley last month and even worse than Hurricane Andrew of 1992, the most expensive storm to ever hit the United States.
While Charley was as a Category 4 storm as well, Frances is twice as wide, Ed Rappaport of the National Hurricane Center told NBC's "Today" show Thursday. As a result, he said, expect "the same kind of devastation but perhaps over a larger area near landfall."
Andrew, for its part, was more intense at its core but also "a smaller storm ... so we expect a wider area of damage than we saw with Andrew," Rappaport said.
Packing 145 mph winds that extend out 80 miles and on a course that has emergency officials in several southeastern states jittery, Frances was expected to strengthen as it headed for a Labor Day weekend rendezvous.
States of emergency were declared in both Georgia and Florida, which has never before seen two Category 4 storms make landfall within a span of just three weeks. Thursday morning, Florida's Broward County issued evacuation orders for 250,000 residents, adding to the 500,000 alerted in nearby areas Wednesday.
Florida could feel winds soon
Early Thursday, FrancesÂ’ center was 470 miles east-southeast of West Palm Beach. It was moving west-northwest near 13 mph, and was expected to continue that course for the next 24 hours.
Forecasters said Frances could begin affecting Florida late Thursday, less than three weeks after Charley raked the stateÂ’s west coast with 145 mph wind, causing billions of dollars in damage and killing 27 people.
Forecasters said Frances could become a Category 5 storm with winds of 156 mph or higher by the time it makes landfall. The difference wasnÂ’t something residents spent time discussing.
“Category 4, Category 5, what’s the difference? I’m still out of here,” said Michele Byrd, 38, a food service executive from Vero Beach. “This one will probably be bigger than Charley. I don’t see any way we’re not getting hit.”
Late Wednesday, the National Hurricane Center issued a hurricane watch for 310 miles of Florida coast from from Craig Key to Flagler Beach. A hurricane watch means that those areas could start feeling hurricane conditions within 36 hours.

BarryMac
09-02-2004, 05:46 AM
And the East Coasters think that we are crazy for living in California with our Earthquakes and all, they know that they are gonna get hammered every year and they stay...
gjb

Freak
09-02-2004, 07:09 AM
I'd rather have the wind blowing than the ground opening up and swallowing everything.

RiverOtter
09-02-2004, 07:22 AM
And the East Coasters think that we are crazy for living in California with our Earthquakes and all, they know that they are gonna get hammered every year and they stay...
gjb
Hey, at least we know when they are coming :D Y'all gotta hope you pets start acting funny or something :D

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
09-02-2004, 07:25 AM
most hurricanes have signifigant warning time. Last I checked major earthquakes just pop up whenever they feel like it, with little or no warning. I would rather live in hurricane country then earthquake zones. you can always leave before the hurricane gets there you know. :messedup:
Omega

MsDrmr
09-02-2004, 07:26 AM
now now, the earth does not open up and swallow you, just the brigdes collapse sending you hundreds of feet to the ground. :(

RiverOtter
09-02-2004, 07:28 AM
now now, the earth does not open up and swallow you, just the brigdes collapse sending you hundreds of feet to the ground. :(
Don't forget about the mudslides :squiggle:

BarryMac
09-02-2004, 07:29 AM
Hey, at least we know when they are coming :D Y'all gotta hope you pets start acting funny or something :D
And y'all get like five or six a year :) , we get one small one maybe every five or six years :boxed: ...
gjb

racecar.hotshoe
09-02-2004, 07:31 AM
most hurricanes have signifigant warning time. Last I checked major earthquakes just pop up whenever they feel like it, with little or no warning. I would rather live in hurricane country then earthquake zones. you can always leave before the hurricane gets there you know. :messedup:
OmegaKINDA LIKE MOTHER IN LAWS :cool:

RiverOtter
09-02-2004, 07:32 AM
Most are just bad storms..... Who needs the rain?????....????? :wink:

Havasu_Dreamin
09-02-2004, 07:44 AM
I'd rather have the wind blowing than the ground opening up and swallowing everything.
Seriously, get a grip. That does not happen. Does the ground open up? Yes, at some points it does as an earthquake is a break in the ground. But opening up and swallowing everything, nope, does not happen.

Misogynist
09-02-2004, 07:49 AM
Oh yeah.... we have earthquakes here in California... but with preparation you don't suffer any damage... during the big one in 92 the only thing that happened to me was my vacuum cleaner jumped out of the closet and walked down the hall.... Just don't live in any ground floor apartments with stories built over the top of you..... :notam:

BonnevilleBaby
09-02-2004, 07:56 AM
At least with earthquakes they do happen with little or no warning. With Tornados and Hurricanes you sit around and wait for them to destroy you. I don't think I could deal with that year after year. As for the ground opening up and swallowing everything, I think you've watched tooooo many movies.
:rolleyes: Toni

RiverOtter
09-02-2004, 07:59 AM
Seriously, get a grip. That does not happen. Does the ground open up? Yes, at some points it does as an earthquake is a break in the ground. But opening up and swallowing everything, nope, does not happen.
Ahem......
http://www.bedford.k12.ny.us/flhs/science/images/sinkhole.jpg

Freak
09-02-2004, 08:29 AM
Please. The get out of the sun it's affecting your brain. LMAO. Sure I was exaggerating "a little maybe". Oh great defenders of the west, lighten up.

BarryMac
09-02-2004, 08:32 AM
Ahem......
http://www.bedford.k12.ny.us/flhs/science/images/sinkhole.jpg
RO, that's a great picture, unfortunately it's not from an earthquake, it's a sink hole and probably not in California, you need rain to cause one of those... :boxed: :rollside: :boxed:
gjb

RiverOtter
09-02-2004, 08:34 AM
RO, that's a great picture, unfortunately it's not from an earthquake, it's a sink hole and probably not in California, you need rain to cause one of those... :boxed: :rollside: :boxed:
gjb
Dang it!! Busted !! But it was fun posting it :D

STV_Keith
09-02-2004, 08:43 AM
Yep, it's gonna be nasty. My best friend is on his way to Vegas now (just happened to be moving here as this thing is coming), my brother is doing the same, and my parents are evacuating. Good thing they sold their house 2 weeks ago!

RiverOtter
09-02-2004, 08:44 AM
Yep, it's gonna be nasty. My best friend is on his way to Vegas now (just happened to be moving here as this thing is coming), my brother is doing the same, and my parents are evacuating. Good thing they sold their house 2 weeks ago!
I sure hope the new owners bought the insurance :squiggle:

RiverOtter
09-02-2004, 09:15 AM
This one's got some STANK on it :2purples:
http://www.foxnews.com/images/136982/13_23_090204_frances4.jpg

Jbb
09-02-2004, 09:35 AM
Looks like it is gonna be a bad storm....I currently have 11 relatives ....and 8 dogs en route to my house from Jacksonville...I-10 southbound has been closed going into Fla...now you can only leave...gonna be an interesting weekend.....just wish I had a bigger boat... :2purples:

RiverOtter
09-02-2004, 09:37 AM
I hope it goes well for your fam. Is the eye still suppost to center Jacksonville?

Evo22
09-02-2004, 09:47 AM
I just got off the phone with the guy that is tooling the plug for my boat in melbourne, Fl. and he has boarded up and is taken is computer and headed out tonight :confused:

Jbb
09-02-2004, 09:48 AM
The storm is bigger than the state of Fla...current path puts the eye just below Jax... :eek:

PHX ATC
09-02-2004, 10:06 AM
My buddy in Melbourne is staying put. I told him to go buy lifejackets for his 2 dogs and turn his Nissan over and use it as a boat. He'll need it! :sqeyes:

Froggystyle
09-02-2004, 10:08 AM
How come all I can think of is "Lighten up Frances!"
hehe.
Hope everyone is OK.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Please. The get out of the sun it's affecting your brain. LMAO. Sure I was exaggerating "a little maybe". Oh great defenders of the west, lighten up.
Well, yeah, but I still rather not know when the brown smelly stuff is going to hit the fan with an earthquake as opposed to knowing the tornado or hurricane is coming.

MagicMtnDan
09-02-2004, 01:20 PM
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT/WV/20.jpg

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-02-2004, 01:42 PM
these poor people.. we will be praying for them.. ;) specially thiose of you here with family there.. good luck to all of you..

RiverOtter
09-02-2004, 05:04 PM
Looks like the spot on Jupiter :jawdrop: