PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Trailering

Ziggy
09-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Ok, I read someones thread about singles in the carpool lane but I get all chapped when I see the illegal driving habits of so many when trailering...and I'm not talking about going more than 55mph since 90%+ do that but rather trailering out in the left lane of a 4 lane highway :mad: This really chaps my hide.
Its is only legal to trailer in the two right hand lanes, whether the road has 2, 3,4,5, or even 8 lanes(exception is for major interchanges,thats why you see those "trucks OK" signs). I guess it really eats me to watch these people tool along these lane because I have moved to the 3rd from right lane once for less than a 1/4 mile to avoid an accident then merged back to where I belong..........and I get busted for it.
So I wanted to put up a poll and see how many of you have or do travel in these lanes illegally...I'm just curious.

Evo22
09-02-2004, 12:38 PM
I totally agree with you ...you gotta see it in AZ it is leagal to tow in any lane carpool included just helped a friend move and we were in the fast lane towing my 28' enclosed just because we could :rollside:

Ziggy
09-02-2004, 12:39 PM
Did you forget something?
:hammerhea :D
Forensic
Such as? :confused:
What cha talkin' 'bout Willis? :D

MAINEVENT
09-02-2004, 12:39 PM
I will go in the number 2 lane in a 4 lane hwy usually just to pass and go right back

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-02-2004, 12:42 PM
we always stay in the first two.. and if it is a single lane hwy.. we usually flag people around when clear or just pull to the side for them if they come flyin up on us.. ;)

spectratoad
09-02-2004, 12:44 PM
It depends on how bad the trucks have beaten their lane up. Sometimes my motorhome gets beat if I stay in the truck lane so I don't even bother. The worst is between Reno and Sacramento.

Mandelon
09-02-2004, 12:50 PM
I gotten two tickets for 75 mph while towing, both with my utility trailer and they made a stink about 3rd lane passing. I see the chuckleheads with the Uhaul trailers going 80 in the fast lane...the trailer has a big "45 mph" sticker on it too......... :confused:
But if I am trying to keep up momentum going up a hill it is better to go than get stuck behind someone slow.
Now with the Diesel/Duramax, being slow is not a problem. I keep an eye out for the "man" though.

andy01
09-02-2004, 12:51 PM
I've been stopped for it. (85 in the fast lane) I run what ever lane it takes to get where I am going. I don't run the fast lane if the lanes are open, I always stay to the right. But if I get hung up in one of those cluster ****'s of 10 cars going 65 in the right two lanes I will go over to the left as far as I have too to get around them. I was usaully in a hurry to get to the river or get home. I do hate it when I see a guy in the fast lane @ 55mph with his crapy boat or lake lice behind his small ass SUV. Those are the people that should stay in the slow lane. They arn't passing anyone they are just cruising along.
Andy

THOR
09-02-2004, 12:51 PM
I agree with this 100%. People just dont know the law at all. Either that or they are ignorant. Either way, wake f u c k up.

Magic34
09-02-2004, 12:53 PM
I didn't know that it was illegal to trailer in other lanes. Being from AZ, we don't have to worry about that, but I do pay attention and move if I am slow. Normally, I get in one of those lanes to pass slow traffic anyways.
If I get passed, I lose and I hate losing. :rollside:

dirty old man
09-02-2004, 01:04 PM
That applies to left coasters only. Wait until you travel cross country, all different rules, and mostly for the better. CA is one of the few states with two basic speed laws (problably due to high congestion and so many trucks). As soon as you hit New Mexico or Texas, you can go forever at 75/80 and hardly pass anyone or get passed, everyone is close to the same speeds and its like there is no one out there! Pulled race boats to Florida at speeds that you could never get away with in CA.
I hate towing a boat in lane 3 or 4 and have a sea-doer blow by me in the fast lane. Just pisses me off something fierce.

91nordic29
09-02-2004, 01:05 PM
I totally agree with you ...you gotta see it in AZ it is leagal to tow in any lane carpool included just helped a friend move and we were in the fast lane towing my 28' enclosed just because we could :rollside:
yepper! :cool: except semis still must use only 2 lanes.

DryHeatOnly
09-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong...you can legally pull a trailer in the right lane only and can use the 2nd lane for passing only. Of course we never get pulled over for that. :rolleyes:
Years ago, my dad got a ticket for towing in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway (on the 14 through the Lancaster/Palmdale area).
...and I agree, I hate seeing trailers in the left lanes. :yuk:

Captain Dan
09-02-2004, 01:15 PM
What burns me is the lane restriction on I-15 south - trailers in the right lane only, NO passing.
I cannot agree with that one when the Turbo Diesel kicks in and I'm travelling faster than the flow of cars.....
I use that 3rd lane, but only to pass.

racecar.hotshoe
09-02-2004, 01:45 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong...you can legally pull a trailer in the right lane only and can use the 2nd lane for passing only. Of course we never get pulled over for that. :rolleyes:
Years ago, my dad got a ticket for towing in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway (on the 14 through the Lancaster/Palmdale area).
...and I agree, I hate seeing trailers in the left lanes. :yuk:you are correct once you hook on to a trailer of anykind you now must follow the same rules as a big truck 55 mph #2 lane for passing only

EliminatorJet
09-02-2004, 01:54 PM
I noticed there are 2 signs on the I15 S near cajon pass that contradict each other -
"Slow vehicles - right lane only"
"Autos with trailers, trucks right lane only"
So what if you aren't driving slow and you are towing?

Captain Dan
09-02-2004, 01:58 PM
I noticed there are 2 signs on the I15 S near cajon pass that contradict each other -
"Slow vehicles - right lane only"
"Autos with trailers, trucks right lane only"
So what if you aren't driving slow and you are towing?
I think that means that you can drive wherever you want. It did say autos with trailers, and I assume you tow with a truck......
:rollside: Go for it.

Kim Hanson
09-02-2004, 02:02 PM
With the boats, you have to get to water..FAST......( . )( . )....... :cool:

dave186
09-02-2004, 02:03 PM
4 lanes??? we still have 1 lane roads around here.

Racer277
09-02-2004, 02:03 PM
I really don't care much about laws, many are assinine. I do care about respect and safety of me and other people. I will once every 10,000 miles use the 3rd lane to pass, usually over safety rather than speed. I am VERY aware of other drivers on the road, won't pull out in front, will pull right so they can get around safely, etc. If I am on a beat to hell road, I'll drive in the 2nd lane to avoid it no matter what, but I am usually going faster than the cars around me. 70% of my trailering is in the 1st lane. The typical jet skier or M/Cer in an expensive SUV driving in the fast lane and doesn't know anything does piss me off, as it makes us look bad, and they're usually doing 80+ with 12" trailer tires, about as bad as the rigs that pull out to the third lane.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-02-2004, 02:17 PM
You may want to change the poll. What you are referring to as the 3rd lane for the occassional pass is acutally lane #2 on a 4 lane highway. The #1 lane is always the fast lane. Some people might get confused by the poll options, that's all.

dicudmore
09-02-2004, 02:19 PM
You may want to change the poll. What you are referring to as the 3rd lane for the occassional pass is acutally lane #2 on a 4 lane highway. The #1 lane is always the fast lane. Some people might get confused by the poll options, that's all.
good point HD :D

lucky
09-02-2004, 02:25 PM
ebonics spell checker

Roxysnow
09-02-2004, 02:30 PM
I got a ticket in the fast lane coming from the 215s (coming down the desert) to the 15s. If those who don't know, ramp to the 15s is two lane and dumps you into the fast lane if your in the left lane. I was in the left lane going onto the 15s during sunday evening traffic. Not more than a mile in the from the interchange I get pulled over for being in the fast lane. I explained to him that the two lane (in the left lane ) ramped automatically puts you into the fast lane. And if you have come down the 15s, it can be difficult to get over right away! I got a ticket! Other than that I always use the 1 left lanes and sometimes pass inthe the 3rd. :hammerhea

ROZ
09-02-2004, 03:26 PM
You people need to get back to work....
Oh yea. Lanes 3 and 4. I only pass from 3 to 2 if there's an accident or trffic jam.... THen it's on until I can get back over to the right... :D

jbtrailerjim
09-02-2004, 03:45 PM
I always stay in the right 2 lanes. It also pisses me off when I see someone towing in the fast lane and 9 times out of 10, it's usually some dipshit towing a U-Haul type trailer or somebody towing lake lice. Freaking idiot's need to get a clue and know the law's before they tow something. :mad:

Ziggy
09-02-2004, 03:53 PM
You are absolutely right HD, thats why I referred to it as the "3rd lane from the right" in my original post because MOST people would number the lanes from right to left vs. left to right...thanks for being so alert :D

77charger
09-02-2004, 04:21 PM
I stay in the right 2 lanes unless i am going up a long grade and i have a couple of trucks going 26 mph to pass a guy going 25mph.Then i will hit the third lane.As far as flat gos its the right 2.My uncle got a ticket on the 40 years ago on our way to the river (speeding)Cop made a u turn to go after him.Also informed him that the 2nd lane was to only be used for passing and that you are to pull to the right lane when done.(he was in the second lane)

voodoomedman
09-02-2004, 04:28 PM
On the 40 when I have to tow I will use the left lane and move over when somebody's coming up on me. The trucks have beat up the right lane. AZ has the same law I guess. Didn't think they did til this past weekend I got pulled over. Technically the main road in bullhead is az-95 so you can't be in the left lane. I just don't like dragging my trailer wheels in the dirt. I think I got pulled over cuz of a lifted yellow truck with flames on my boat and windows. He even said he didn't care about the speed just the lane issue. Luckily he let me go with a written warning. I think because I had my in-laws in the truck with me.

Ziggy
09-02-2004, 05:04 PM
Hey Ziggy ... "The New Car Dealer" in Oceanside ...
Prices go up for Marines on your "New Cars" in order to Pay For Your Ticket?
The ticket I got was several years ago so you can see it has been burning me for quite some time. :D :D
And the Marines get my complete respect, we are a military city and proud. I give discounts with Military ID, not gouge 'em. Unfortunately, most enlisted are not able to buy my cars, generally its Officers. :smile:

73beast
09-02-2004, 05:57 PM
...and I agree, I hate seeing trailers in the left lanes. :yuk:
On two lane hiway, the law states you tow in #2 but can use #1 to pass ,on three lane tow in #3 pass in #2, on 4 or more lanes you are only legal in the farthest right two lanes. This applies to all towed trailers no matter what you are towing with.

Seadog
09-03-2004, 05:28 AM
Rules vary from state to state. In Tulsa, I-244 has a bunch of left lane exits/entries left over from some idiot engineer decades ago. It is not a problem until some granny goes 45 mph in the left lane because she has an exit 5 miles ahead. I generally stay in the middle three lanes, pulling or not. The right lane is always a hassle with fools darting in ahead of you and then slowing down to exit.

Tommy1005
09-03-2004, 10:23 AM
I love Texas I tow at 80-85 all day long, only big rigs have a slower speed limit, but it's still 60 or 65 for them. I'm sure someday I will get pulled over for 10-15 over the limit, but atleast for now my Valentine One is saving my arse.

Tremor Therapy
09-03-2004, 10:50 AM
I got ticketted in Temecula over Father's day weekend......you are to travel in the number 4 lane (the furthest right lane) and use the number 3 lane for passing. I was passing dualling motorhomes doing about 35 mph, and pulled out into number 2. A CHP was on the center divider, and as soon as I pulled out into number 2, he pulled out after me!
He told me that the only time I could enter the number 2 lane was......NEVER! That was a pain in the butt $136 lesson! :mad:

Drunk tank
09-03-2004, 11:50 AM
I'll drive in the first 2 normally. If there happens to be some slow fawk in the second I'll hop to the third, pass, and then get back in #2. People tend to get out of my way though.... Big jeep bouncin around like a fawkin rubber band with a 5x8 Uhaul doin 80 commin down from a mountain pass.... definatly a sight to see. :jawdrop:

Dr. Eagle
09-03-2004, 12:08 PM
I thought that it was only restricted to the two right lanes when it was posted... learn something new every day I suppose. I am one of those "occasional 3rd lane passers". It seems you end up with trucks trying to pass each other at 50-60 mph all the time. I especially hate that going up a steep grade, like the grape vine.
Regardless, I'm sure I'll be caught some time... but I made the 500 mile trip home last night at 75+ the whole way and passing at will, not the #1 lane where there are 3 or more though...