PDA

View Full Version : CAUGHT ON TAPE: Top Qualifier 9-Second Class

LakesOnly
09-03-2004, 06:28 PM
mpeg may take a bit to download if you don't have a high-speed connecton...Enjoy.
Jet boat is an Eliminator with an all-aluminum 640 cubic inch Ford. It was governed to run in the 9-second class and was top-qualifier, running a 9.080 @ 113+.
Eliminator Qualifiying (http://home.earthlink.net/~kanellakos/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/10.080113mpg.mpg)
LO

LakesOnly
09-03-2004, 07:23 PM
9-Second TE Class and Running a 10.080?
My mistake; thanks for correcting me. Top qualifier with a 9.080 @ 113+ mph.
The trap speed should have given away my typo...
LO

Squirtin Thunder
09-03-2004, 07:30 PM
But a good shot anyway.

LakesOnly
09-03-2004, 07:37 PM
An identical boat (actually a Cheyenne with a chevy) ran the 8-second class and blew over (crosswind played a part):
http://www.messenger-inquirer.com/Images/0829a1thundercrash.JPG
LO

Squirtin Thunder
09-03-2004, 08:10 PM
Chevy's will do that, everbody flipps for them.

LakesOnly
09-03-2004, 08:14 PM
Chevy's will do that, everbody flipps for them.
DOH!
LO

jweeks123
09-03-2004, 08:39 PM
what event was this taken at
jw

Jetboatguru
09-03-2004, 08:43 PM
His name was Joe Barnes and he died at the scene

Squirtin Thunder
09-03-2004, 09:06 PM
**** Damm, now I feel like shit.
When was that???

Jetboatguru
09-03-2004, 09:22 PM
Last weekend at a Kentucky Drag boat event.

LakesOnly
09-03-2004, 09:24 PM
what event was this taken at
jw
www.kdba.net
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350TOTG_Flyer.jpg
www.kdba.net
LO

Cs19
09-03-2004, 09:26 PM
I heard about that today at work . Very sad, I thought about it all day.
On a lighter note, that is an awesome video! I watched it like 30 times. I love the way daytonas look coming down the track.
I dont think I would run mine that nose high, but man that thing looks good running like that.
Thanks for the video, and sorry about the accident, truly a sad situation,

LakesOnly
09-03-2004, 09:53 PM
His name was Joe Barnes and he died at the scene
JBG,
It was not a pleasant thing to watch. He was at 2/3 pass and about 110mph, and went airborne right in front of me. I was there to tape the other two boats; I almost taped Joe but, in all seriousness, got a funny feeling and didn't push the button... My friend Charlie called it two seconds before it happened.
Most people like to evaluate footage after a blow-over/crash, but there is no need for evaluating this one and frankly, due to the outcome I'm glad I didn't capture it. (Picture is from local paper's website).
Seeing this happen before you is nothing like watching a crash & burn video...it is downright horrifying and painful to observe.
Water conditions were good. Crosswind was strong and Joe was overly aired-out. Rumor has it that after a another driver made an earlier pass, he lept from his boat at the out ramp and sprinted to Joe to advise him of the conditons. A tunnel hull in the 8-second class can be a really risky deal.
Joe's boat blew over backwards and the sponsons clipped the water at 270*, which halted the boat and ejected Barnes at speed. His helmet was ripped from his head and he was killed instantly.
My first thought as he flew through the air was, "where is his parachute?" He was not wearing one and how he got to the rope, I can't explain.
My gut reaction was to run toward the water and start swimming to him; in a flash a jet ski was at the scene and the rescue boats were there seconds later. My friend/acquaintance Bob (driving the Eliminator) was on the rescue boat and pulled Joe from the water. He did not have a pulse and was unresponsive.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Boat_Rescue_3.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Boat_Rescue_5.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Boat_Rescue_7.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Boat_Rescue_8.jpg
Joe was 59 and left a wife and 4 kids. Many people were broken up. On Sunday at the drivers meeting, three different parties announced they were throwing in the towel for good, hooked their trailers to their trucks and left.
Joe had been racing with the KDBA at least since 1980. He was a professional. I was told at CBBB that many of you commented on the fact that I always wear my life vest when I head out. You damn well better believe it. (The only exception was the CBBB photo op when my fuel pump was failing and I gunned it go make that picture--stupid move.)
This occurred on a race course--in a controlled environment--with the the most responsive safety crew/top rescue gear that I have seen. Y'all be careful out there.
LO

LakesOnly
09-03-2004, 09:57 PM
...that is an awesome video! I watched it like 30 times. I love the way daytonas look coming down the track.
I dont think I would run mine that nose high...
Crosswind was taking many drivers by surprise. Bob lifts throttle for this very reason after he passes me and goes off-screen (before I catch up to him). Check it out again.
LO

Jetboatguru
09-03-2004, 10:15 PM
Lakes I know what you are saying about wanting to swim out after him. 3 weeks ago in Marble Falls I was racing against Todd Haas when he crashed and my first reaction was to try and paddle the boat over to him before the rescue people were there. Sad to see this.

Squirtin Thunder
09-03-2004, 10:23 PM
When I was about 10 days old my father went over at about 50+mph in a 25SS runabout. He lost his pants and watch and shoes. He was very lucky. When I was about 10 or so I saw my first lake racing crash one of the two drivers were killed and the passanger was hurt real bad. They were probably only running 70mph. In '91 I learned how good capsuallse are. I think it was '94 when I saw Tom Black and I think Ron Hill crash at Chowchilla. It always sucks when these things happen but it reminds us that we are still human and anything can happen at any time. But if you just through in the towel, you just may get hit by a bus crossing the street. I would much rather be killed doing something I love, than let some idiot take me out for no good reason while crossing the street to get the mail.
Just my thoughts
Jim

bp
09-04-2004, 07:41 AM
this sucks...

Ken F
09-04-2004, 08:25 AM
Joe Barnes was a hell of a Racer, a consumate professional. Been at it for years. Duane and I went to dinner with him last fall after Saturdays Elimination runs, which was the first time I had a chance to really sit and talk with him. Listening to he and Duane telling old time race stories ....well I wish I had been able to record it.
Joe will be missed greatly not only by his family, but the racing circuit.
Our sport is a dangerous one...this hopefully will remind everyone to be extra careful out there.
Ken F

Squirtin Thunder
09-04-2004, 08:34 AM
Last night was one of those restless ones, After I saw those pics of the boat being recoverd. Crazy dreams !!!! But it makes you think, I need to get a knew Lifeline !!!
Jim

LakesOnly
09-04-2004, 10:02 AM
How light of a layup was the Cheyenne ... A Race or Lake Layup? Was the hull an actual Cheyenne or a Splash? Anyone know the approximate Hp of the motor?
Engine was an aluminum 702 cubic inch with Big Chief heads.
I inspected the crashed boat up close. That Cheyenne was made up of the thinnest, flimsiest of layers of fiberglass that I have seen. I remember thinking to myself, "a single crack or split anywhere, and the structural integrity would be nil."
The boat had passed through several hads over the last couple of years, Joe was still sorting it out a bit and had it up for sale himself...
LO

565edge
09-04-2004, 10:14 AM
Very sad to hear.Is that piscetti's old cheyenne?

bp
09-04-2004, 02:34 PM
"Is that piscetti's old cheyenne?"
That's what I was wondering and why I asked.
don't think so.

steelcomp
09-04-2004, 02:41 PM
Don't know what to say...wish there was something. A little choked up. Lost a god friend in a dragster crash at Indianapolis.
Still hurts.
Damn!!

bp
09-04-2004, 02:41 PM
JBG,
It was not a pleasant thing to watch. He was at 2/3 pass and about 110mph,
His helmet was ripped from his head and he was killed instantly.
LO
this still sucks, but does anyone know how or why he lost his helmet?

bp
09-04-2004, 02:47 PM
regarding the video, for a 9 second daytona, the boat is too tight early.

Squirtin Thunder
09-04-2004, 05:00 PM
Some old school racers never buckle them on. That was one of the things my father had told me very early in boats. But that was before all the safty inovations, and Lifeline comin on the scene. But I have heard of some using velcro to hold the straps on. But nomatter it still sucks when you hear about things like this.

Tinkerer
09-04-2004, 07:07 PM
jweeks - thought you might like a bigger picture of the avitar.
By the way - that is my step daughter and her dog.
And that is me with more hair than I have now.
Steve

UBFJ #454
09-05-2004, 06:21 PM
"Is that piscetti's old cheyenne?"
"That's what I was wondering and why I asked."
I am told, "Nope" ... Absolute Sister Hull layed up at the same time, by the same person ... Race Layup ... Wt. 410 +/- 2 lbs.. Raced on the west coast for awhile ... then sold several times to several different people eventually winding up "On The East Coast".

diggler
09-05-2004, 10:38 PM
When I was about 10 days old my father went over at about 50+mph in a 25SS runabout. He lost his pants and watch and shoes. He was very lucky. When I was about 10 or so I saw my first lake racing crash one of the two drivers were killed and the passanger was hurt real bad. They were probably only running 70mph. In '91 I learned how good capsuallse are. I think it was '94 when I saw Tom Black and I think Ron Hill crash at Chowchilla. It always sucks when these things happen but it reminds us that we are still human and anything can happen at any time. But if you just through in the towel, you just may get hit by a bus crossing the street. I would much rather be killed doing something I love, than let some idiot take me out for no good reason while crossing the street to get the mail.
Just my thoughts
Jim
I just purchased my first tunnel hull (picklefork).
Is it really easy to blow over at 70mph? I am still learning the boat, and I don't want to have any accidents.

LakesOnly
09-06-2004, 03:55 PM
Is it really easy to blow over at 70mph? I am still learning the boat, and I don't want to have any accidents.
Blow-over happened at closer to 110-115 mph with a notable crosswind/headwind.
LO

ARS Marine inc.east
09-06-2004, 04:46 PM
I run a Fixed Nozzle
With a safe 3.5 ' Up
Going 112 have never felt unsafe in the Boat
But that is not to say that it can not happen
Just play it safe
Run Fast ONLY on Flat Water
And my god Don't go jumpin other Boats Wakes at 70 MPH
My HAT Goes off to JOE BARNES and his Family
I am deeply Saddened.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-06-2004, 05:37 PM
We saw a cat yesterday hit some wakes left by a cruiser and let me tell you...... I bet he s**t his pants. All you coul see was outrive and white. He almost had that thing straight up :jawdrop: :jawdrop: After that he was really mellow on the throttle all day :D :D :D

Cs19
09-06-2004, 09:05 PM
I would be surprised to see something like this happen at that speed, however I was talking with an njba racer on friday, he said they (pickleforks) have blown over at just over 100 mph.
I was running around all weekend with 100 pounds of sand bags in the nose of my Eliminator.Im not taking any chances.
Again, very sorry about all this.

UBFJ #454
09-07-2004, 04:23 AM
At higher speeds Any Tunnel Hull can "Blow Over/Fly" if the hardware is set wrong causing the nose/bow to "Fly" to High and wind conditions are "right" ... Something to Always Remember.
Keep in mind that the principle of a Tunnel Hull is Air Entrapment under the hull so as to have it get up and run (glide/semi fly) on the air-water interface. Too Much Air Entrapment ... Blow Overs. Too little ... Boat Runs Too Wet.

HavasuDreamin'
09-07-2004, 07:48 AM
Sad to hear. RIP. :frown: :frown:

LakesOnly
09-13-2004, 10:43 AM
Click Here for Joe Barnes, Jr. Tribute Webpage (http://www.laxtonfamily.com/joebarnesjr/)
http://www.laxtonfamily.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10002/normal_joebarnesboat.jpg
LO