PDA

View Full Version : ***Places to buy AV-GAS inside--->***

dmontzsta
09-04-2004, 10:16 AM
I dont know if there is a thread about this or not, but can all of you post the places to get AV GAS around the entire Colorado River? Since I am stepping up a bit, I need to know the places to get gas before planning trips, cause I cant just roll up to the pump at the gas station anymore. If you could all post where you get your gas or know where you get your gas up and down the river and also here in SoCal that would be great. That way people can find this thread in a search or we can refer them to it.
On another note, have any of you been hassled while getting avgas at an airport?
Is there other places to get it than airports?
I just filled up 6 gas cans with no problems at the small Corona airport off the 91 and Lincoln it is was no problem, just drove in there with the truck and 6 cans, just had to use a wing number from another plan cause it asks you. But just saw a plan sitting there and used its wing number.
avgas, av gas, av-gas, aviation gas. I put this so it would pop up with a search easier.

Squirtin Thunder
09-04-2004, 10:23 AM
Yes you can here in the AZ Colorado River area. Terrible Herbts has it at the pump ( 100LL). The last time I checked it was $2.50 a gallon. It smells good too. But Jegs has some smelly stuff to put in the fuel so you can have a chocolate cake and run it tooo.
Jim

UtlGoa
09-04-2004, 10:24 AM
If you boat around Blythe you can by AV gas at the Blythe Airport. I can't remember how much it is. I'm sure you can by it in Parker at the airport also.

Squirtin Thunder
09-04-2004, 10:32 AM
Terrible Herpts gas stations (Cheveron) carries 100LL at the pump in Bullhead, Fort Mohave and in Search Light. That is all I am aware of at this time but as I cruise to Havasue I will check out others for you.
Jim

LakesOnly
09-04-2004, 11:03 AM
...can all of you post the places to get AV GAS around the entire Colorado River?
http://www.airnav.com/fuel/local.html
LO

Squirtin Thunder
09-04-2004, 11:44 AM
What is the oct rating of Jet A ????
Jim

Sleek-Jet
09-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Jet A is highly refined Kerosene. You got a diesel in that boat. :D

Sleek-Jet
09-04-2004, 12:04 PM
Is there other places to get it than airports?
I just filled up 6 gas cans with no problems at the small Corona airport off the 91 and Lincoln it is was no problem, just drove in there with the truck and 6 cans, just had to use a wing number from another plan cause it asks you. But just saw a plan sitting there and used its wing number.
avgas, av gas, av-gas, aviation gas. I put this so it would pop up with a search easier.
Evidentaly Corona has a u-pump-it fuel island. Don't worry to much about the "N" number (the registration number on the tails of the airplanes), I would just use N12345, or ask if you can use you CA number on the boat, most places don't care one way or the other. Since you're paying with CC they don't have to worry about you skipping out on a fuel bill, wich is the real reason N numbers are collected.
I've never been around a general aviation airport that won't pump gas into a boat or cans, they just won't pump it into a licensed vehicle that is used on public roads (it's a tax thing, not enviromental). Most FBO's are only scratching by as it is, and any fuel they sell helps them out that much more.

dmontzsta
09-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Some good info in this thread, already enough to go to the popular spots on the river and know where the closest spot is to get it. My throat hurts, that stuff is strong, that and trying to get the voltage regulator hooked up and the fumes were killing me.
Are you allowed to buy av gas at the airport? or is it for planes only? Has anyone ever been hassled?

Sleek-Jet
09-04-2004, 12:20 PM
Are you allowed to buy av gas at the airport? or is it for planes only? Has anyone ever been hassled?
You shouldn't have any problems. I have never bought av-gas in Parker for a boat, but speaking as a life long line guy/gas jockey/airport bum, I've never seen anyone not be able to buy av-gas for their boat, or race car, or whatever at any of the airport I've visited or worked at.
The only caveat is that the fuel cannot be used in a vehicle opperated on public roadways, only because there is no highway taxes included in the cost of the fuel.

Sleek-Jet
09-04-2004, 12:26 PM
I just call Crit Air (the FBO at Parker) and they said they will pump gas for a boat or into cans. :D

Squirtin Thunder
09-04-2004, 12:43 PM
That rule only applies to Cal I believe. Here in AZ you can put it right into your passanger car if you want. And you don't have to go to the Airport. You can actually pick up beer and wine or hotdogs and a newspaper.
Jim

xDRAG ONx
09-04-2004, 01:35 PM
AV GAS can be purchased @Parker Oil

GofastRacer
09-04-2004, 07:30 PM
The only place to buy AV gas is at the airport or a distributor if you want good quality, the stuff you get at corner gas stations is shit since they don't maintain their tanks!. It is also illegal to pump AV gas into a street driven vehicle even in AZ..if it's on a trailer then it's ok but you can't drive up to the pump and pump it in, if the gas station let you do it they are in violation, AV gas don't meet the bullshit emissions standards!..Any airport will let you pump into jugs or a boat or a car on a trailer!..If you go to Parker get it at Parker Oil(They are a distributor), it's a bit cheaper than the airport but if they are closed you can always go to the airport, they will fill your boat or jugs anytime!..

disco_charger
09-04-2004, 07:52 PM
Needles Airport, off of 95. You can pump right into the boat. Owner is a boat owner. :)

LakesOnly
09-04-2004, 09:14 PM
It is also illegal to pump AV gas into a street driven vehicle even in AZ..if it's on a trailer then it's ok but you can't drive up to the pump and pump it in, if the gas station let you do it they are in violation, AV gas don't meet the bullshit emissions standards!...
True.
It is a federal violation to put AvGas into your car because it has lead in it. The use of lead in commercial gasolines for motor vehicles used on public roadways has been outlawed. Also, AvGas is not marked up by Fed and State road taxes, which also makes it a violation in a car for public roadways (you did not pay your road tax).
When I went to the CBBB, I was so surprised to learn that the Terrible Herbst in AZ sold the stuff in the pump that I didn't believe the guy. Then I went to the station and questioned the attendant. I paid up front and pulled a glass jar from my truck and filled it up. "Son of a bitch," I thought to myself as I looked at the familiar light-blue color and smelled the stuff, "it's really AvGas..."
The attendant never asked me what kind of vehicle it was going into...??? But I am grateful that it is there; I understand that the small airport in Bullhead City will not sell AvGas to anyone that pulls up with a boat. <----Can anyone confirm this?)
LO

Sleek-Jet
09-04-2004, 09:33 PM
True.
The attendant never asked me what kind of vehicle it was going into...??? But I am grateful that it is there; I understand that the small airport in Bullhead City will not sell AvGas to anyone that pulls up with a boat. <----Can anyone confirm this?)
LO
Which small airport? The one in town??

LakesOnly
09-04-2004, 09:49 PM
That's what I was told, and so that's why I went to the gas station.
lemme know,
LO

Sleek-Jet
09-04-2004, 10:04 PM
I'll call tomorrow and see if they will sell fuel for a boat or not. You could tanker up as you go through Needles, or run up to Kingman when you need fuel, I know those guys will sell fuel to anyone.
The FBO in Bullhead is a little, how shall we say, different than most. They don't really seam to want to do a whole lot for anyone, so I wouldn't be suprised if they won't sell to boaters.

dmontzsta
09-04-2004, 10:55 PM
I am so glad I started this thread.
I feel like most places are ok with you filling up. When I am not drunk I am going to take down the address for all the places up and down the river and post them. I think I have enough info here to cover it.
Thanks fellas!

dmontzsta
09-05-2004, 09:28 AM
Has anyone tried making their own race fuel?
Here are a few links...
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/gasoline-octane.html
http://www.team.net/sol/tech/octane_b.html

Performance 19
09-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Eagle aviation in mohave valley. off 95 (az side) from needles left on Laguna RD. credit cards only. Closer for people going to Avi than up to Bullhead. Five min from Needles Marina. Dirt road