PDA

View Full Version : Cobra 280 Python v Hallet 285 Party Cruiser

Dogfart
04-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Something I'm tossing around (no salad jokes) ...
Hallet 285 Party Cruiser:
Pros
Quality construction
Resale value
vacuum bag construction
Seemingly more bang for your buck
More seating than an Airbus 319
Cons
Lame looking SS gates
Conservative styling
Cobra 280 Python:
Pros
Styling
Cool gunnel storage
Cons
Resale value
Lower quality of construction
Yeah, I've looked at others but I'm interested if anybody has anything to offer regarding these two.
Oh yeah, you go Lendon with that Ultra... changed my mind about Magic too.

Throttle
04-10-2006, 06:03 PM
I would go back to read some of the reviews about both of these boats in powerboat and ***boat if I were you... it will not take you long to see a few more pros that you seem to have maybe overlooked in the python. :rollside:

Luki
04-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Hi,
I'm a new Member here and sorry for my bad English, I'm from Switzerland...
I read a lot, almost everything about almost every Deckboat on the Market.
I read about the Cobra and the Hallett too, and the Hallett is my favorite for my business that I wanna do...With the Cobra I have no good feeling and I don't know why. So I would decide for the Hallett Party Cruiser.
I'm very interested in the Howard Sport Deck too, but for my business it's important that I have max. seating, a big fueltank, very good entering (the Hallett has 4 possibilities for entering the boat) and a very effective hull.
Nobody could answer this question;
Why is the Hallett with the 525 MercuryRacing almost as fast as the Howard with a 700hp in excelerating?? just 0,5sec slower with 200hp less and the same weight and Beam? That speaks for a very effective hull of the Hallett.
The Howard seams to be better on the water with curving through the wakes, absolutely no porpoise etc. but the Hallett isn't bad at all, maybe not so perfect as the Howard, but still very good.
So for me the Hallett is my favorite.

Dogfart
04-10-2006, 08:38 PM
I would go back to read some of the reviews about both of these boats in powerboat and ***boat if I were you... it will not take you long to see a few more pros that you seem to have maybe overlooked in the python. :rollside:
For example? I've read the reviews... what I'm interested in is what Hallet and Cobra owners have to say. Thanks.

Throttle
04-10-2006, 10:01 PM
For example? I've read the reviews... what I'm interested in is what Hallet and Cobra owners have to say. Thanks.
as a cobra owner, I couldn't be happier! :rollside:
"sportcat in its own class"

Throttle
04-11-2006, 11:57 AM
dogfart...
for some reason nobody is really helpin you here... I of corse I will lean toward the cobra as a owner...
in your original post, you stated 2 "con's" for the cobra and niether have a leg to stand on.
1). resale... proven fact, holding value... as I recently watched one sold that was built last year. the ONLY thing lost to the selling party was probably what he paid in sales tax and registration.
2). resale... I sold one of my own during the off season for just a couple thousand less than what I had bought it for. note, not the same boat that your asking about, but cobra's resale is NOT to be overlooked. Another example recently... 2 customers wanting to buy the same used boat almost in a bidding war without even seeing the boat... :idea:
3). construction, there is NOT a single thing left out of the cobra that you seem to think hallet has. The highest quality materials are used and MORE bang for your buck (IMO).
lots of builders will build a bitchen boat for you and promise customer service, you will be the only judge to this. I have always found Cobra to look after me as well as the dozens of other owners I have got to know and are close to.
Find a boat that fits your needs and makes you comfortable! Don't forget why you are looking for a deck boat... Someone needs lots of room for passengers, lots of storage and someone drivin/payin for it wants performance! You need to look closely at what it is that you want, good luck...

MOBrien
04-11-2006, 12:08 PM
****THROTTLE...............
You seem to know quite a bit about Cobra.......can you please see & reply to my post in HSW for Cobra Razor owners????
Thanks.

Throttle
04-11-2006, 08:07 PM
You seem to know quite a bit about Cobra.......can you please see & reply to my post in HSW for Cobra Razor owners????
Thanks.
got it... sorry for the delay... I am on duty at fire house today... been kinda busy... check your pm's :rollside:

Dogfart
04-12-2006, 05:12 AM
3). construction, there is NOT a single thing left out of the cobra that you seem to think hallet has. The highest quality materials are used and MORE bang for your buck (IMO).
Find a boat that fits your needs and makes you comfortable! Don't forget why you are looking for a deck boat... Someone needs lots of room for passengers, lots of storage and someone drivin/payin for it wants performance! You need to look closely at what it is that you want, good luck...
Vacuum bag construction on the Hallett? Lighter and Stronger.
Hallett has assloads of seating but to be honest, how much do I really need? I'm not hauling troops to the gulf. The Cobra doesn’t seem to have too much more seating than my Lavey did but it’s certainly more open.

Throttle
04-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Vacuum bag construction on the Hallett? Lighter and Stronger.
Hallett has assloads of seating but to be honest, how much do I really need? I'm not hauling troops to the gulf. The Cobra doesn’t seem to have too much more seating than my Lavey did but it’s certainly more open.
only here to help with your request, not gonna debate... Vacuum bag, don't need it! soo how much does that hallet tip the scale at? What makes it stronger? are we adding lavey to the list to compare now?

TPI
04-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Hi,
I'm a new Member here and sorry for my bad English, I'm from Switzerland...
I read a lot, almost everything about almost every Deckboat on the Market.
I read about the Cobra and the Hallett too, and the Hallett is my favorite for my business that I wanna do...With the Cobra I have no good feeling and I don't know why. So I would decide for the Hallett Party Cruiser.
I'm very interested in the Howard Sport Deck too, but for my business it's important that I have max. seating, a big fueltank, very good entering (the Hallett has 4 possibilities for entering the boat) and a very effective hull.
Nobody could answer this question;
Why is the Hallett with the 525 MercuryRacing almost as fast as the Howard with a 700hp in excelerating?? just 0,5sec slower with 200hp less and the same weight and Beam? That speaks for a very effective hull of the Hallett.
The Howard seams to be better on the water with curving through the wakes, absolutely no porpoise etc. but the Hallett isn't bad at all, maybe not so perfect as the Howard, but still very good.
So for me the Hallett is my favorite.
Sir,
The answer to your question is simple: A boat's "accelleration" is not everything. Did you happen to notice the top speed and performance difference between the two boats(Howard and Hallet). The Howard ran approx 91 mph(Powerboat) and the Hallet ran approx 79. I think the Howard ran 87+ (Hot Boat)in white cap conditions that were quoted as the worst ever testing conditions. Thats a pretty nice difference for 175 HP(not 200 hp) I would say. For the record that 700HP motor is not what I would call the fastest accellerating motor in the world under 3500 rpms either. But it will stuff you in the seat as the rpms pull from that point all the way up to 6000 rpm. Its a 588 cubic inch engine and it runs VERY well. That little 502 ci 525 is always going to have a bit more zip WAY down low on the rpm band than a 588+ ci 700 motor, which will give you a better bottom end accelleration number. I know for a fact that the Howard Sportdeck runs WELL over 80 mph(I think 83+) with a 525 motor. That should speak for the efficiancy of the hull. I hope this helps.

Luki
04-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Yes, that helps.
Thanks a lot.
I think the prop is a big thing too for the exeleration-performance. The Howard had a Maximus and the Hallett a Bravo One, and as we all know the Maximus is better in the exeleration-performance than the Bravo One. However, for me the Vmax is not so important, much more the torquecurve of the engine for a good exeleration. Thats why i think a 570+ci-Engine with 700hp and bigger torque than the 525 should be much better in exeleration.
For me it's no big difference to have a boat running 82 or 91mph, both are fast enough. But when I load the boat with an average of 8-10 people, than it comes to the real thing. Isn't it?
Dogfart:
Why do you want the Cobra-Deckboat. Have you ever thought about the new Cobra Viper SXT Bowrider? An absolutely fantastic boat with a very effective Hull and very dynamic Design.

TPI
04-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Luki,
The bigger cubic inch motor makes more torque as the rpms come up. They will usually turn between 5500-6000 rpm depending on the engine maker, which means they usually will turn a "bigger pitch" prop which kills some of the bottom end. Where the 525 turns up to 5350 max(usually about 5200) which allows for a smaller more bottom end friendly prop. I seriously would say, "If you are going to run a deckboat with fuel, gear, and 8-10 people on board, then you will have to run some decent power to get that boat moving." It's going to take a little bit to get up to speed. But that is the real world, people dont drive these boats alone.
When comparing boats, you really have to compare them power for power and in the exact same water/weather conditions to come up with a "fair" judgement, no matter who the manufacturer is. Then you have to drive your choices just for verification. Good luck.

Throttle
04-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Dogfart:
Why do you want the Cobra-Deckboat. Have you ever thought about the new Cobra Viper SXT Bowrider? An absolutely fantastic boat with a very effective Hull and very dynamic Design.
now there is a bright idea :idea:

Hardly Satisfied
04-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Sales people will tell you anything , That's just a COBRA STICKER on Throttle's Boat. It's a Hallett.

Hardly Satisfied
04-14-2006, 11:13 AM
Just kidding Cameron :rollside:

Throttle
04-14-2006, 07:47 PM
Sales people will tell you anything , That's just a COBRA STICKER on Throttle's Boat. It's a Hallett.
thats good stuff...

Luki
04-17-2006, 12:56 AM
GT thanks.
A bigger motor should have a bigger torque on the lower rpms than a smaller one, thats physics. I mean a 588ci engine has almost always 10-15% more torque than a 508ci-engine.
I will choose the 600sci. I thought about the Ilmor Viper 625, but I'm not sure if they are reliable, they where not tested for years on boats yet. On the street the engines are not so tortured like on the water. But thats another thing...

TPI
04-17-2006, 06:20 AM
GT thanks.
A bigger motor should have a bigger torque on the lower rpms than a smaller one, thats physics. I mean a 588ci engine has almost always 10-15% more torque than a 508ci-engine.
I will choose the 600sci. I thought about the Ilmor Viper 625, but I'm not sure if they are reliable, they where not tested for years on boats yet. On the street the engines are not so tortured like on the water. But thats another thing...
Luki,
You are right about the torque(588 vs 502), but understand that the bigger Naturally aspirated motor has to be propped up to carry the RPMS. These non-supercharged bigger inch motors remind me of a two stroke motorcycle engine. If they were both(588 & 502) turning the same exact prop, the big cubic inch motor would destroy that little 502 on accelleration, but since the bigger motor starts to really pull up to a higher rpm it needs to be a little softer down low(because of the increased prop pitch).
Regardless, from what I have heard, those 600's seem to run well, when properly set up. Good luck