PDA

View Full Version : Transom adapter removal.....HELP!

bulldawg art
04-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Trying to pull the pump for my first time. Have everything off/unbolted, pump wants to come out, but the damn bionic black silicone just won't let go. Does anyone have any tips to get this stuff to let go? I tried wire to cut through it but no go...need help :220v: I don't want to have to cancel my Hogan trip. Gotta get this thing sent out so I can get it back in time to throw it back in.

YeLLowBoaT
04-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Any mineral spirt will soften the silcon( assuming that is what it is) , gas, painter thinner, kerosen,napatha.... 3 m also makes a product that eats it for lunch. its called something simple like "general adhesive remover" or somthing like that.

apollo18
04-10-2006, 06:12 PM
i USED HEAT FROM A SMALL TOURCH. WORKED GOOD. ALSO PUT SOME PRESSURE ON IT WHEN HEATING IT UP.

Heatseeker
04-10-2006, 06:17 PM
They can be a bioch to get off. I did one last week that took over an hour to get loose.
You need wedges. A few cheap putty knives will work. I cut out several rectangles of cardboard to use as insulators between the wedges and the gel. I gently work the wedges into the joint with a small hammer. You can stick the cardboard between wedges and the transom giving you some protection from scratches and chips from the hammer. Work your way all the way around the adapter plate. Don't forget that the center of the plate is also stuck to the bowl. There may still be an o-ring in there which will make it a little tougher to get loose also.
Are you shooting for the May 6th Hogan deal?

Cas
04-10-2006, 07:32 PM
After you get the transom adaptor off, spray all that silicone with WD40 and it'll come off pretty easy.

502 JET
04-10-2006, 07:43 PM
I used the putty knife method to remove my my fiberglass transom adapter.I spent the better part of an hour cutting away sealant and working it off with the knife.Make your knife sharp and thin on a belt sander or with a cookie wheel and die grinder.Tap the putty knife in and work your way around the adapter.You could pull the pump inside the boat and leave the adapter if your motor is out and you have the room.

bulldawg art
04-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Thanks Guys. I'll try one of the suggestions to soften it up.
John, the bowl is free from the ring. That had a ton of silicone too, but I was able to cut away at that. I was just afraid I would have damaged the transom cutting the way I did. As for Hogan, I am going on the 19th -21st. I saw Jethro's post for those dates, called a bunch of family who were free that weekend, before I saw the rescheduled date. If I can, I may try to make it up for a day that weekend.
Thanks again everyone.

4604me
04-10-2006, 09:15 PM
When your all done with that, try a transom gasket. mine dosn't leak and it's alot easer to remove. but that's a whole other argument