PDA

View Full Version : 1075sc

WetWillie
09-05-2004, 08:53 PM
Who else thinks these things are just bad ass!!
http://popularmechanics.com/outdoors/boating/2004/3/fast_glass/images/tb_lg_enginelead-lg.jpg
Take a guess at what one costs with a dry #6
WW :220v:

Kilrtoy
09-05-2004, 09:17 PM
No CLue do tell
I guess 150K

LUVNLIFE
09-06-2004, 08:37 AM
If you don't think those are badass, then you have a strong feminine side.

Havasu Hangin'
09-06-2004, 08:46 AM
For the kind of money Merc Racing wants for a pair of those, you could easily buy a pair of Phaff or GT 1,400 HP monsters (dry sump and all) with maybe enough left over to buy a spare.

kevnmcd
09-06-2004, 09:35 AM
Take a guess at what one costs with a dry #6
If you have to ask...you can't afford them! ;)

roln 20s
09-06-2004, 10:17 AM
No CLue do tell
I guess 150K
Thats what I heard awhile back--150K complete, with the Dry Sump #6s. Pocket change :)
Roln 20s

Jbb
09-06-2004, 12:06 PM
Did you ask Mercruiser when the first sceduled overhaul is due...?

Kilrtoy
09-06-2004, 12:59 PM
Did you ask Mercruiser when the first sceduled overhaul is due...?
After your first run at WOT for 5 minutes

Boatlesss
09-06-2004, 02:07 PM
I believe OEM is $98K complete with: Engine/Transmission (as a drop in unit) and SSM#6 Dry Sump Drive Unit along with smart craft instrumentation.
I believe they have a 50 hour rebuild life if ran on KILL for the 50 hours else a more moderated rpm level can yield 150 hours. 90 Day Warranty!
Where the other engine builders suffer in this package is the package itself. It makes absolutely no sense to purchase the engine alone as they are giving too much for the $ with the drive and transmission.
Also, this is supposed to be 1075 at the propeller. These engines are actually more like a 1200 hp engine on pump gas and a mild 800 rpm idle.

Havasu Hangin'
09-06-2004, 02:43 PM
I think you may be a little low, as Merc was getting $90K for the 900's w/6's (no Smartcraft, no EFI, 10-71 blowers), but let's go with your numbers.
Where the other engine builders suffer in this package is the package itself. It makes absolutely no sense to purchase the engine alone as they are giving too much for the $ with the drive and transmission.
Also, this is supposed to be 1075 at the propeller. These engines are actually more like a 1200 hp engine on pump gas and a mild 800 rpm idle.
From what I understand, a #6 does not eat close to 125HP, which would put it under 1,200HP. As for the idle, I would think that any comparable EFI will do the same.
Minus $30K (retail- yeah, right), for a #6 and tranny, walk into Phaff or GT with $70K and see what you can get. I'll bet it's more than 1,200HP with a 90 day warranty.
Of course, you don't get Smartcraft, just some low-tech gauges. :rolleyes:

WetWillie
09-06-2004, 03:21 PM
So is Merc just riding on the Merc name? How can they price a Engine so much more then the compitition and expect them to sell? :hammer2:
I am sure they sell a few engines but I would think custom builders like GT,Teague, Sterling have made up a ton of ground and sell alot more in the custom arena and for race boats?
Other then Drive which you can somewhat get around (#6 vs Weismann or MAXMachine) why would anyone pay the diffrence? Plus the compitition is gettting better at making them.
Warrenty...Nope!
What would $70k get you in GT or Teague's place? What warrenty would you get?
Just asking for Kilrtoy :D
WW :confused:

Kilrtoy
09-06-2004, 03:57 PM
I was gonna ask those same questions, just about 300X's. :D
How can you hop them up and what would you expect to get out of this.....

WetWillie
09-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Your thinking about wackers arent you? 600hp is not enough or what?

Kilrtoy
09-06-2004, 04:25 PM
600 is plenty, I was just thinking out loud and crazy.....
is the yellow boat yours

WetWillie
09-06-2004, 05:05 PM
600 is plenty, I was just thinking out loud and crazy.....
is the yellow boat yours
Nope the yellow boat is not mine. I am boatless! Those pictures got emailed to me by the seller. You interested I can forward the rest to you. There may be one or to more?
WW

Kilrtoy
09-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Just read the Aug ,02 HB on that boat, very nice, why is he selling, Wait let me guess
F29

Havasu Hangin'
09-06-2004, 05:28 PM
What would $70k get you in GT or Teague's place? What warrenty would you get?
Depends on how much money you got. I believe Three Drinks Only got a one year warranty on his 900's from Teague. I'll bet GT, Phaff and Sterling would sell you one for the right price.
The Merc stuff is very sophisticated. The Smartcraft computer is great if you are a Merc tech. However, if any engine is out of warranty, then what good does it do? You're still gonna pay someone to fix it (by the hour) computer or not.
My point is that Mercury Racing is just another engine builder. Yes, some people are fanatical about them (like people are for Sterling, Phaff, GT, etc.), but they all fail sooner or later. Making an engine live is not magic, but some are better at it than others.
For me (where money is an object), all reliability being equal, $/HP is one thing to consider.
Just my ignorant opinion.

Boatlesss
09-06-2004, 07:57 PM
I am not posting in support of Merc. The prices are very realistic. $30K for a SSM#6 is a tight price on that drive unit, (I think retail on it is like $42K ea.) and it has more resale/appeal than a Wiseman and a Max Machine Worx cannot even begin to compete with that drive so they should not even be thrown in the comparison. How many boats even have a Wiseman? Successful? The Merc is a proven product on a wide range of boats.
The problem is that so many people are Merc loyal. Look at the boats that the members on here have. Bravo, Bravo, Bravo. If they can purchase a boat with a total Merc package they will take this over an aftermarket company. Else, no one would be so excited about this package. I can only guess that they feel that their local Merc dealer can service the engine package, at home or on the road; something that the others mentioned cannot really do, whether the local Merc guy can come through on these high tech engines is another story.
Sterling is the best, which is without question. I feel if I say anything about the HP some of the others mentioned actually make it would only lead to an argument that I could care less about.

Bre
09-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Here's what it says on Merc's site :argue: :eek: :) :p :wink:
HP1075 SCi
Mercury Racing is pleased to announce the release of the HP1075 SCi sterndrive - the world’s most advanced big block performance sterndrive and latest innovation to come from the world leaders in advanced marine propulsion systems.
The Mercury exclusive Propulsion Control Module (PCM) 03 microprocessor is the brain behind the brawn, giving this monster motor a friendly personality. Based on a high performance 557-cubic inch V-8 cylinder block, the 1075 SCi features a pair of Lysholm twin screw super chargers with multiport fuel injection (two injectors per cylinder). This combination provides sport boaters with turn-key starting, great overall running quality and incredibly smooth idle quality for a high horsepower big block. The engine’s 800 RPM idle speed makes shifting into and out of gear smooth as silk, making docking much easier with less chance of stalling and other low-RPM drawbacks normally associated with big horsepower.
Mercury Racing, along with its parent company Mercury Marine, is the first marine engine manufacturer to be ISO 9001:2000 certified. The ISO certification is a reflection of Mercury Racing’s high standards and dedication to continue its leadership position in the marine industry. No other high performance marine engine manufacturer puts more time and attention to detail into product development. All products undergo numerous hours of grueling validation tests before they receive the Mercury Racing name.
The 1075 SCi is the first engine to be accredited by Mercury Racing’s TEAM (Total Engine Application Management) initiative. The standardized TEAM process ensures proper installation of the engine with factory-specified components, providing maximum performance along with unmatched quality and durability. The 1075 SCi will only be sold to accredited OEM boat builders and dealers.
Mercury Racing engineers designed the 1075 SCi for ease of installation. Every component is strategically placed with an end package that is as compact as possible. The twin screw compressors, which require less power than traditional roots blowers, sit on a corrosion resistant charge air cooler and induction system designed exclusively by Mercury Racing. Their low-profile design helps to reduce overall engine height and center of gravity. In fact, the 1075 SCi is eight inches shorter than the HP900 SC Dry-Sump, allowing boat builders to replace air scoops for sun pads.
Super charger induction noise levels are controlled by twin carbon fiber Helmholtz air inlet resonators. Twin flame arrestors act also as air filters, keeping the engine’s air induction system clean and efficient.
Super charger boost is variable. A boost bypass control valve, electronically activated by the PCM 03 microprocessor, continuously adjusts the amount of boost needed to provide consistent horsepower. Under optimum ambient conditions, the boost bypass control valve will open to adjust for the lower boost required to obtain 1075 horsepower. The PCM 03 controller closes the bypass control valve, to provide the additional boost required to maintain a consistent 1075 horsepower when operating in sub-optimal running conditions and limited higher altitude environments. The 1075 SCi’s ability to provide a consistent horsepower in any condition or locale eliminates the hassle of re-propping the boat to match conditions. The PCM 03 computer also enables individual cylinder control. This ability to optimize fuel, spark timing and knock control independently for each cylinder enhances engine running quality, performance, fuel economy, and durability. The use of eight independent ignition coils, one per cylinder, helps eliminate spark plug fouling.
The 1075 SCi comes equipped with the digital SmartCraft Controller Area Network (CAN) system, a network of sensors that proactively monitor engine functions. The next wave in boating, SmartCraft Integrated Marine Technology from Mercury links power, controls and internal and external sensors to provide precise data on all boat functions at a glance. The system monitors a variety of vital engine functions including fuel flow, fuel range, fuel used, and RPM, along with water depth, trim angle, water pressure and battery voltage. Boat functions monitored include fuel tank levels and water and waste tank levels. The CAN enables the PCM 03 to communicate data to optional SmartCraft SC5000 System View and System Link gauges for real-time data on multiple engine and boat functions.
The PCM 03 also drives the exclusive Engine Guardian™ System. Engine Guardian monitors engine functions to forewarn of possible problems that could lead to engine damage. This “smart” technology not only detects and alerts the boater of a problem; it processes the data and reduces power to a maximum, safe level that allows the boater to continue operation. Engine Guardian also has the ability to proactively help prevent engine overheating by sensing not only engine temperature but cooling water pressure as well. By sensing water pressure, and temperature, the system can provide advanced warning to the PCM 03 control module, which then reduces engine power before temperature related engine damage takes place.
Similar to the Mercury Racing Super Cat and Super V offshore race engines, the 1075 SCi features a dry-sump lubrication system. Three scavenge pumps and one pressure pump keep oil off the crankshaft, reducing friction for enhanced power and performance. A remote oil tank separates air from the oil and gives it time to settle, providing the pressure pump with a constant supply of oil. The oil tank also reduces foaming, improving overall oil lubrication, even in the most adverse sea conditions.
Custom sealing systems, developed by Mercury Racing, enhance engine durability. The use of corrosion-resistant engine components and treatments enhance engine quality and protection against the corrosive saltwater environment.
An all-new, thermostatically-controlled, high-velocity cooling system uses a combination of a circulating pump and sea pump to keep the engine at an optimal operating temperature and peak performance. The system utilizes a three-stage sea pump. Two stages feed cooling water to the engine block and cylinder heads while the third stage feeds the charger air cooler.
Longer valve train life is the result of Mercury Racing dynamic optimization utilizing in-house valve train dynamics test rig.
A high-output, 65-amp alternator provides increased power at idle and full power. The increased charging capacity makes running a variety of electronic accessories worry-free.
The 1075 SCi is built from the bare block to completion in Mercury Racing's four-cycle Race Shop. Technicians use specialized components throughout the engine, from the heavy-duty valve train to the custom fabricated steel oil pan. Engine packages come standard with the Mercury Racing dry-sump Six drive.
Specifications
HP: 1075
kW: 790
Full Throttle RPM Range: 5600-6000
Displacement Liter/CID: 9.1/557
Bore & Stroke (in): 4.50 x 4.375
Bore & Stroke (mm): 114 x 111
Compression Ratio: 8.00:1
Cylinders: V-8
Alternator Amp: 65
Alternator Watt: 917
Ignition System: PCM 03 Distributorless
Fuel System: Sequential Fuel Injection
Fuel Requirements: 91 Posted Octane (R+M)/2 (98 RON) International
Transmission: Huber 1450 Series
Drive Unit: Dry-Sump Six Drive
Gear Ratio: 1.15:1, 1.24:1, 1.35:1, 1.42:1, 1.50:1 or 1.61:1 (right- or left-hand)
Length (in/mm): 55/1397
Width (in/mm): 40/1016 (w/CMI Exhaust System)
Height (in/mm): 30/762
Weight (lbs / kg): 1720/782
Warranty: 90-day limited for recreational boating
Key Features
Designed and developed by Mercury Racing Engineering.
Handcrafted in Mercury Racing's four-cycle Race Shop.
557-cubic inch tall deck cast iron cylinder block featuring five main bearings with stud fastened steel main bearing caps.
Twin-screw Lysholm super chargers require less power than traditional single-screw roots blowers.
Super chargers feature closed lubrication with sight plug for added protection and enhanced durability.
Super charger induction noise levels are controlled by twin carbon fiber Helmholtz air inlet resonators.
Twin flame arrestors act also as air filters, keeping the engine's air induction system clean and efficient.
Eight ignition coils, one per cylinder, eliminates spark plug fouling.
The SmartCraft PCM 03 controller continuously monitors the amount of boost needed to provide consistent 1075 horsepower in any condition or environment and varies boost accordingly.
The SmartCraft PCM 03 microprocessor optimizes fuel, spark timing and knock control for each cylinder independently, enhancing engine running quality, performance and durability.
An all-new, high velocity cooling system uses a combination of a circulating pump and sea pump to keep the engine at an optimal operating temperature and peak performance.
Innovative dry-sump engine lubrication reduces friction and adds horsepower for improved overall boat performance.
Balanced steel crankshaft.
Forged-steel, 100%-machined connecting rods and custom Mercury Racing aluminum pistons.
High performance roller camshaft.
CNC ported, race-prepared aluminum cylinder heads.
Mercury Racing developed sealing systems, enhance engine durability.
High-performance electric fuel pump.
65-amp (917-watt) charging system.
Features the dry-sump Mercury Racing Six drive.
Six drive features innovative dry-sump lubrication system improves horsepower and overall boat performance.
Drive-line and plug-in models are available.
Available in right-hand and left-hand rotation models with 1.15:1, 1.24:1, 1.35:1, 1.42:1, 1.50:1 or 1.61:1 gear ratios.

Kilrtoy
09-06-2004, 08:06 PM
BRE, so what does all that jibber jab mean, Im not motor wise....

WetWillie
09-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Yea Bre Translate that for us! :argue:
WW

Bre
09-06-2004, 08:10 PM
You guys are gay :hammerhea :eek: :wink:

WetWillie
09-06-2004, 08:16 PM
Your numbers makes sense as well as I was quoted three weeks ago a #6 by DCB for $30k. THat should have included the tranny as well. (I think it was not broken out on the quote anywere else)
That would mean the motor itself would be priced at $66k
I have not done a lot of motor shopping but were would a Teague, Sterling, GT motor come in price wise for lets say 1200hp EFI whipple package??
It says its a Lysholm super charger, Looks similar to a Whipple??
Anyway just looking for info about the motor options.
WW

Havasu Hangin'
09-06-2004, 08:18 PM
The Merc is a proven product on a wide range of boats..
Yes...like the Merc 1050 (which didn't last long).
The problem is that so many people are Merc loyal. Look at the boats that the members on here have. Bravo, Bravo, Bravo. If they can purchase a boat with a total Merc package they will take this over an aftermarket company...
I think you are mixing up Mercery Marine (black) with Mercury Racing (blue). To your point, Mercury Marine bundles packages with their sterndrives that make it a pain in the stern to upgrade on a new boat.
However, Mercury Racing is just another builder that sources parts from the same place as Sterling, GT, Teague, Phaff, Eickert, etc. Very few propritory parts on their engines. The only real difference is access to Lake X (didn't help on the 1050) and a huge marketing machine.
I can only guess that they feel that their local Merc dealer can service the engine package, at home or on the road; something that the others mentioned cannot really do, whether the local Merc guy can come through on these high tech engines is another story.
That is truely the only real benefit to Mercury Racing...a big dealer network. However (beside the point you mentioned on the tech's skill set), if the motor is out of warranty (90 days later?), then what does it matter where you take it or how big the dealer network is?

andy01
09-06-2004, 08:29 PM
I also read some where that a boat builder has to have a tech class on the install of this motor package. Not just any builder can just order this and put it in there boat, I believe Merc. has to be there for the first two installs.
The reason this package will sell is for the guy that likes stock but wants speed. Lets face it everybody on here makes more or less money then the other. There people that will spend 100K or over on a but because they will never be able to or want to and others don't blink an eye at 400K and over for boats every day. Hell there are Outerlimits and skaters for over $1,000,000 now. The first 1075 went in a 46 Cig. and they had problems with it. It was all worked out but hell you go to GT and spend 50K on a motor I would bet you it wouldn't have any problems at all. They have been building 1,200hp and up motors for a while now. Merc. has just starting getting in to the big hp numbers in the last few years. So if a guy goes to Outerlimits, Fountain, Skater, Cigarette or any other big name builder and wants stock power Merc. has meet his needs. So he pays a little more, big deal. It's only money and it probably isn't much to that buyer. If you are spending 800 plus on a boat what the hell is 20 or 30 grand more per motor? Not much. Just my .02 BTW I heard that dealer cost on the deal was in the 90's.
Andy

WetWillie
09-06-2004, 09:08 PM
You are always the voice of reason.
You wanna help me kick Racingrascals arshhh. He thinks your big wait till he meets me.. (6'8 280) :eek:
I think most DCBers are short guys. Thats why Dave makes no freeboard in his boats?? :eek:
Im fricking joking!! Last thing I need is a whole clan of Ummpa lumps chasing me around havasu!
Going to bed! :sleeping:
WW

Kilrtoy
09-06-2004, 09:36 PM
You know , come to think of it , there are a few shorter DCB owners

Boatlesss
09-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Not really, you are thinking too micro. Merc has 95% or more of the performance boat market, this includes the engines and the out drives. A few custom engine builders within a small boat company really do not make a dent on the total performance boat market that Merc controls.
One would have to really look at the stats to realize this but I’ll wager that even Eliminator produces most of its boats with both a Merc outdrive (100% on 1/O’s) and a Merc engine, 496, 500, 525, 575, 900 SC (DEAD) and now the 1075.
Real reason is two fold.
One is that it is a complete drop in package, no need to outsource for plumbing, headers or fittings and such.
The other is Merc Comp $ whereby Merc contributes $ back to the OEM for boat show space and advertising. Hey if someone is willing to help in any way you must take it.
Less than 1% of Mercury’s customers have ever stepped foot onto Lake X. They charge for this and they were not entirely staffed with the best propeller for each person’s boat setup. Before Lake X shut down, the customer paid $250/day and had to have both Merc engines and Merc drives in order to come to the lake.
Not everyone can afford a boat and a trip to Kissimmee FL.
I think you are mixing up Mercery Marine (black) with Mercury Racing (blue). To your point, Mercury Marine bundles packages with their sterndrives that make it a pain in the stern to upgrade on a new boat.
That is truely the only real benefit to Mercury Racing...a big dealer network. However (beside the point you mentioned on the tech's skill set), if the motor is out of warranty (90 days later?), then what does it matter where you take it or how big the dealer network is?
You are missing the point. Who else will have access to the parts, software or Merc's ear than your local Merc dealer? Warranty or not, once you buy this Merc machine you are going to be wanting someone who can service it for you. I certainly cannot even begin to start touching that engine.

Havasu Hangin'
09-07-2004, 03:55 AM
One would have to really look at the stats to realize this but I’ll wager that even Eliminator produces most of its boats with both a Merc outdrive .
Who is "Eliminator"?
Less than 1% of Mercury’s customers have ever stepped foot onto Lake X. They charge for this and they were not entirely staffed with the best propeller for each person’s boat setup. Before Lake X shut down, the customer paid $250/day and had to have both Merc engines and Merc drives in order to come to the lake. .
My point on Lake X is that it is a facility that is a competitive advantage over most engine builders. However, maybe they should have used it a little more on the ill-fated 1050?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/741050.jpg
May she rest in peace (and all those who purchased her get a full refund).
You are missing the point. Who else will have access to the parts, software or Merc's ear than your local Merc dealer? Warranty or not, once you buy this Merc machine you are going to be wanting someone who can service it for you. I certainly cannot even begin to start touching that engine.
So if you buy that engine, you are saying that you are very limited on who can work on it. Like you, I would not know where to begin on that EFI/ECU (another reason not to buy it). I'll stick with non-propritary parts, thank you.
I think RR is right (doesn't happen very often). This package gives a boat manufacturer an easy way to spend a customer's money, without having to go too far outside the box on a custom engine. If you fit in that mold, more power to you.
Do you remember the article a year or so ago about a Hallet comparison on a "Merc package" and "non-Merc package"? The "non-Merc" boat was outfitted with all IMCO and Phaff parts, and ran faster for cheaper.
Eventually, people will get it.

Dave C
09-07-2004, 07:34 AM
Boatless.
Merc should stick to their 95% of the market and serve the 496 and 525's of the world. They do a decent enought job.
Their entry into the big HP market has always been overpriced.

Dave C
09-07-2004, 07:34 AM
that there is funny I don't care who ya are....
You are always the voice of reason.
You wanna help me kick Racingrascals arshhh. He thinks your big wait till he meets me.. (6'8 280) :eek:
I think most DCBers are short guys. Thats why Dave makes no freeboard in his boats?? :eek:
Im fricking joking!! Last thing I need is a whole clan of Ummpa lumps chasing me around havasu!
Going to bed! :sleeping:
WW

andy01
09-07-2004, 07:53 AM
I think RR is right (doesn't happen very often).
:hammerhea
Asshole

Boatlesss
09-07-2004, 12:44 PM
Once again I am not on Merc's side here, rather the resale of the boat is what a lot of people look at when purchasing a boat.
The boat will have far better resale value with a pair of Merc engines, LARGE or small (partially because the consumer knows that Merc is not going out of business anytime soon, and their dealer network) over a set of Teague's for example.
I never have been able to recover a fraction of what I have invested so I cannot relate to this reasoning.