PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Elim Cats

Rock-it man
02-09-2003, 02:30 PM
Just bought a new Elim Cat 26, Have a lot of exp with V hulls but no time on cats to speek of,would like to here from anyone who have run 110-130 mph for some tips and handling all aspects of rough water and especilly cross wakes. Thanks any tips will help ROCK-IT MAN

25Elmn8r
02-09-2003, 03:32 PM
I haven't run anywhere near those speeds, but the advice I can give you is take your time!!!! Don't go out there shooting for top speed right off the bat. Get used to the boat, and then gradually increase the speed as you get more seat time.

Craig
02-09-2003, 05:01 PM
What 25elmn8r said makes good sense. I would suspect given that you've driven that Nordic to 100, you'll find the cat like driving a Cadillac :D Go easy on the trim. That's where the speed is with a cat, but a good gust and too much trim can ruin your day eek! I've run 115 with my 22' Advantage cat and you really have to watch everything, at that point there's no sharp turns you can make.

Donnie
02-09-2003, 07:15 PM
I have a 25 daytona that has seen a best of 109mph.
I would love to give advice but the last time I did the crackhead damned near killed himself and his girlfriend eek!
Look for good water and let her rip( easy on the trim) wink

pleasantcat
02-09-2003, 09:03 PM
i as well have a 25 daytona. i agree with craig. slow and easy till you get used to it. these babies drive like a caddy and when you feel nice and comfy something happens.i spun mine a slow speed and was lucky. a person at my work just had her brother send his 22 to the bottom of pleasant. i've had mine for a year now and still need to learn more and get some seat time before i run in the hundies. my .02

pleasantcat
02-09-2003, 09:04 PM
by the way, i can help al you guys with mortgages as well as re-fi's. just pm me.

Craig
02-10-2003, 07:13 AM
Hey pleasantcat, you get out of the Dodge business? What 22 went down at Pleasant, hadn't heard anything.
Craig

Boatmaster
02-10-2003, 08:03 AM
Rock It Man if you drove your Nordic at 104 the Daytona will be a walk in the park. I also own a 25 that only runs 107(sorry) but it feels great at speed compaired to any V in my mind at least. Can't wait to see that boat at shasta this summer. All in all its a point and shot boat, just easy on the trim and no wild turns.

rude235
02-10-2003, 09:23 PM
rock-it man, while i too would love to help i can only give advice on driving a cat compared to driving a v (at FAR below 130). i switched from a 19ft v last season to a cat, talk about a WORLD of difference. turning is a bit wierd (a bit unnerving) at first. i haven't found any water yet that makes this hull ride even the slightest bit rough. i still have a ton of things to learn about driving a cat but so far absolutely love how it handles! just take your time!!!!! from what i've read of your posts, you're a bit of a speed freak (as we all are)....just don't make yourself a statistic. you're gonna luv your new ride! can't wait to see some pics.

pleasantcat
02-10-2003, 10:29 PM
craig, not yet.... i got hired up by a friend of mine to start doing mortgages. it's part time until i make more than dodge pays.
as for the 22. i'm getting my info second hand but here it goes. about three or for weeks ago a 22 daytona with maroons and greys (colors) was playing out by humbug. he helped someone else in trouble then a while later with four peeps on board he crashed. boat went down to the bottom and (thank god) nobody was killed. now i'm getting this from the sister of the owner so.....
if anyone knows the whole story please correct me. eek!

Barry1784
02-12-2003, 08:30 AM
If you had a v botton. The daytona will drive like a breeze. No sharp turns over 70mph. Watch out for the big rollers. Turning sharp at slow speeds it is possible to spin it out. Just do some turns and get a feel for when it breaks loose and rember your limits. :D

Zuumer
02-13-2003, 02:34 PM
All above is truly great advice. I've been 126 in an early 25 Daytona here on Havasu and you could sip a martini. I had a 22 Daytona which I just sold to Crazy Eyes and it handles like a dream. BUT...if you try to turn it fast above about 45mph, it will hook, spin, and potenially through you and your passenger(s)out of the boat. Had it happen to friends with a 21 Daytona coming south on Havasu from Copper Canyon. Their steering cable broke at 45mph, the boat hooked, and they both got thrown out and banged up. Like everyone else says....take it easy, get some seat time, and run hard when there's enough room. Watch the jet skiers also.
New to the forums so Hi to all.

Rock-it man
02-14-2003, 02:45 PM
Zuumer,thanks for the tips,will have full to the helm hyd steering so cable breaks should be a thing of the past.I have 20+ years racing boats just not in cats but a lot of it should carry over.Will let ya know when I get to havasu planning on a couple trips this summer and one to lake mead also,I was at the Elim regatta in 2000 and went out in the 25 at 102 mph could have been the boat as it was new {friends) but something didnt feel right so bought a Nordic that year of course its sold now and the new Cat is being built.will be spending a lot of time at shasta getting seat time,think I will need to buy a gas station to keep to tanks full on this new motor, Thanks for all the tips and keep them comming most everthing I know I learned from someone else.Thanks ROCK-IT MAN