PDA

View Full Version : Gel coated my boat this weekend

BrendellaJet
09-06-2004, 05:52 PM
After almost 2 years of working on this thing, I finally got to try my hand at spraying gel coat. Lots of time and effort went into making this hull whole again. Filled the gas filler holes and the gauge holes so I can start over... not to mention fixing cracks and gouges from years of abuse. I am very pleased with the results.
Before:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/212100_0068-med.JPG
After
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/212100_0956.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/212100_0958.JPG

roostwear
09-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Congratulations! Now for some fun colorsanding and buffing :supp:

BrendellaJet
09-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Yes, im not looking forward to that! But it is progress. I was getting tired of looking at the old gel coat/repairs. Atleast its all one color now!

Cas
09-06-2004, 06:34 PM
oh yea, now the real fun starts! Been there and done it....only about 150 hrs or so :)
Probably been told this already, start on the bottom to get the hang of it so you don't sand through it on the top.
Congrats!

1Bahnerjet
09-06-2004, 06:35 PM
Gonna leave it one color? (which I Like)
or add more Colors (targets & Fades ?)
gotta admire anyone who can gel (or Paint) in their Driveway.

BrendellaJet
09-06-2004, 06:48 PM
I made sure I sprayed real thick on the deck. Gel went down very smooth, so hopefully sanding will be kept to a minimum. Either way, Ive got a few friends who helped sand along the way that Im gonna put to work if I can get them to return my calls.
Yes, gonna leave it all black. I dig it. I was going to do multi color, but I decided for my first attempt I should keep it simple. I covered my garage from fllor to ceiling in plastic. Still managed to get a little overspray on the ground. House was smelling pretty bad, but now the odor is just about gone. Special thanks to everyone at Barneys sight who has helped me in the last 2 years with all my questions. The guys at Crystaliner in Costa Mesa were great too.
Cant wait to get it sanded so i can start putting this b&tch back together.

Jake W
09-06-2004, 07:23 PM
Very cool I hope to spray mine in 3 weeks.Now you can see the progress take shape when you rig it thats the fun part.I rember after getting the Tahiti painted it was fun to come home and sling the cover off and add parts till dark untill it was ready for water then a whole new excitment comes to see it in the water and of corse run it.
Jake

dmontzsta
09-06-2004, 09:39 PM
Congrats!
You dad was just telling me about your motor...sounds like it will be strong.

v-drive
09-07-2004, 04:07 AM
Good job Brian. I know you probably want to name it"My Bitch" right?
:coffeycup v-drive

BrendellaJet
09-07-2004, 07:43 AM
Dmonzta-yes, motor should be strong to say the least. I just need to come up with the coin to build it! But it looks good on paper.
yes I think I will call it my bitch, really though, I am its bitch...

Jake W
10-01-2004, 09:16 PM
Hows the progress coming?Just wanted to say thanks for the tips on cleaning the gun often ,it made for a clean gun.I have never sanded so much in my life and I am only going 320 to 600 to 1200 all wet and mabey 1500 ,I will see when I get it buffed out.
If anyone else wants to try your hand at gelling try white for your first time out, black is a bitch.
Brend do you have any new pics?
Jake

BrendellaJet
10-02-2004, 12:02 AM
No new pics, Ill try to get somethis weekend.
bow is sanded with 320, started dash and bubble. Looking good so far... Once I get through the orange peel, the rest will be easy.
Lets see some pics of yours...

Jake W
10-02-2004, 08:54 AM
I will put some pics up when ***boatpics is back up I have a few of after it was sprayed .I have it sanded down to 600 all over and most of it with 1200.
Jake